Who would have you dropped

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Who would have you dropped

If you were in RL's shoes and taking into account the poor performances against good teams we have had this year, who would you have dropped.

Now remember you have to drop someone who is a little out of form and will make a major statement to the playing group, supporters and admin that mediocore performances wont be tolerated.

Remember that if you drop the usual suspects, no one would really notice and we would be re hashing the same players over again.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who would have you dropped

3rd generation saint wrote:If you were in RL's shoes and taking into account the poor performances against good teams we have had this year, who would you have dropped.

Now remember you have to drop someone who is a little out of form and will make a major statement to the playing group, supporters and admin that mediocore performances wont be tolerated.

Remember that if you drop the usual suspects, no one would really notice and we would be re hashing the same players over again.
Only one, Joey but still maybe none at all because I think as coach he should be able to get the best out of them without using tricks like dropping players.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I would have started with anyone who played a blinder against Mebourne and then struggled to get a touch the following week. Anyone can look good against a crap side. It's how you play when the pressure's on that really counts.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:If you were in RL's shoes and taking into account the poor performances against good teams we have had this year, who would you have dropped.

Only one, Joey but still maybe none at all because I think as coach he should be able to get the best out of them without using tricks like dropping players.
I dont think its a trick. Hes had enough. He indicated you would be judged against what your ABILITY was and if you didnt live up to that then off you go for a spell.

Ive never thought dopping players was trickery.....more a reflection of where the individual and team are at.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I dont think its a trick. Hes had enough. He indicated you would be judged against what your ABILITY was and if you didnt live up to that then off you go for a spell.

Ive never thought dopping players was trickery.....more a reflection of where the individual and team are at.
Why cant he get the best out of them during a game. Surely he should be in Dals ear every week but he obviously is strugging to motivate players so he dropped him hoping he will come good. Well a good coach should be able to get players to their top level without dropping them.

villasaint
Club Player

gwilt, blake, harvey

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
because I think as coach he should be able to get the best out of them without using tricks like dropping players.
Can you name one AFL coach who has not dropped a player for poor form or not achieving what the coach wanted him to do?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
because I think as coach he should be able to get the best out of them without using tricks like dropping players.
Can you name one AFL coach who has not dropped a player for poor form or not achieving what the coach wanted him to do?
No I cannot but I also cannot remember to many star players who have been going OK being dropped. I am sure there are a few but not many.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i would not let raph, blake, fizzer or l fisher even come to training.

they are so VFL.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think the point is that RL has had 18 months of dropping players on the fringe.

If anything RL should have acted earlier.

I am very confident that dal will take the message on board and act on it.

A very clear message has also been sent to the whole list.

This week to even though all are talking of Dal, there were actually two players dropped....and anyone who actually really watches the game knows that both players have lots of talent, but that both tend to cruise at times.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
happy feet
Club Player

Who is accountable?

It does not matter one iota who you think should be dropped. Many on this forum are holding Ross Lyon to be accountable for the teams performance, and rightly so.

But, if you think the coach is the person who is solely accountable for the teams performance, then don't you dare question his decisions about who plays and who does not.

If the coach is accountable, let him make the decision. You cannot hold someone accountable for something that is beyond their control, so give the man some dues, let him make the hard decisions, and then judge him on those decisions one they can be assessed.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why cant he get the best out of them during a game. Surely he should be in Dals ear every week but he obviously is strugging to motivate players so he dropped him hoping he will come good. Well a good coach should be able to get players to their top level without dropping them.
You clearly believe at this level the only responsibility for being motivated going into a game of football rests with what the coach can "whisper in your ear"....thats tricks to me.......heart on sleeve stuff that got Frawley so far........

I believe the best motivation comes from within. Robert Harvey over 20 years has never needed somebody to fabricate motivation so he applies effort. Its why hes a champion.

Yes a coach has motivation as an element of his role - I truly think the days of the coach geeing you up before a game are over and more responsibility rests with the individual - where its should be at this professional level IMO.

“Yeah….nah””
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Con can you get rid of your avatar? It takes up half the screen!

I'd get rid of Joey. Almost a bigger front-runner than Schneider, and has done NOTHING this year.

The Saints are coming!
villasaint
Club Player

good coaches get players motivated towards one cause, playing as team, hunting the ball in packs. sticking to a game plan. It crap that players at this lever dont need motivation. They need it and they need motivated to work together to achieve ultimate success. Thats what the best coaches do.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

My changes would have been

OUT: M.Gardiner (inj), Schneider (inj/omit), Gwilt, Jones, Dempster
IN: McEvoy, Howard, Armitage, Allen, Birss

B: Gilbert, Hudghton, Goddard
HB: Gram, S.Fisher, Geary
C: Armitage, Hayes, Montagna
HF: C.Gardiner, Riewoldt, Birss
F: McEvoy, Allen, Milne

Foll: King, Ball, Dal Santo
Int: Blake, Harvey, Howard, McQualter

Rather than bringing a bunch of kids in and playing them alongside a team of unskilled GOPs, why not see if they can inject some enthusiasm and spark into the better players who are just cruising along.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

villasaint wrote:good coaches get players motivated towards one cause, playing as team, hunting the ball in packs. sticking to a game plan. It crap that players at this lever dont need motivation. They need it and they need motivated to work together to achieve ultimate success. Thats what the best coaches do.
EVERYONE needs motivation - you need it to get out of bed.

Its where it comes from thats the question. To suggest its ALL from the coach is drivel. If players need a Kennedy speech prior to every game to get up then they wont last long. As I mentioned Harvey hasnt over 20 yrs. I bet Hird, Voss, Buckley et al didnt also.

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
villasaint wrote:good coaches get players motivated towards one cause, playing as team, hunting the ball in packs. sticking to a game plan. It crap that players at this lever dont need motivation. They need it and they need motivated to work together to achieve ultimate success. Thats what the best coaches do.
EVERYONE needs motivation - you need it to get out of bed.

Its where it comes from thats the question. To suggest its ALL from the coach is drivel. If players need a Kennedy speech prior to every game to get up then they wont last long. As I mentioned Harvey hasnt over 20 yrs. I bet Hird, Voss, Buckley et al didnt also.
You can't have a team full of Harvey, Hird, Voss and Buckley clones.

The reality is that AFL footballers are human beings and respond positively (or negatively) to their treatment by other human beings.

In an ideal world, a professional sportsman shouldn't need this, but when every millimetre counts, you want to have your team in the best possible mindset.