St Kilda to get "Good" Irish Player Within a Year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda to get "Good" Irish Player Within a Year

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/y ... 40034.html

Player manager Ricky Nixon will this morning meet officials from Geelong, St Kilda, Richmond, North Melbourne and Brisbane Lions, who have paid $30,000 each to be the inaugural member clubs in what is essentially a national Irish recruiting scheme.
Peter Hanlon, The Age wrote: "I'm pretty determined to get each of our original member clubs a good player in the first 12 months; I'm committed to that," Nixon said yesterday.

Good to see the club putting some serious money towards recruiting.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I thought nixon was told he couldn't do that

Sobraz
SS Life Member

waste of $30g's...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

dont care where he comes from if he can run fast tackle hard and kick long and straight he should be a priority !!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
longtimesaint
Club Player

I think it's a good move as we have been left behind in the Irish recruiting.
If you could pick up a player like Marty Clarke of Collingwood it would be well worth while.

One year will be our year
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Insert $30k here and you will soon received your Good Irish Player (TM) via DHL within 365 days.

I'd rather see them 'donate' $30k to developing AFL in a country like Fiji or PNG, than blow it on a glorified netballer.
Last edited by degruch on Fri 13 Jun 2008 2:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

fat chance...we cant even snare one from inside australia

usings lyons recruiting philosopy we would re draft the irish bloke we had in the 80's (his name escapes me)

unless he's been dumped by his original club lyon wouldnt be interested

bergsone
SS Life Member

30 grand throw in a bag of spuds,for a GOOD player ,sounds cheap to me

Red
Club Player

Interesting how so many people thought we did best in the draft at the end

of last year think differently in hindsight.

longtimesaint
Club Player

The Irish player we had in the 80's was Dermott McNicoll and had some talent, but I think he got homesick and went back.

One year will be our year
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Waste of time IMO...
With the amount of time and effort being put into it you could easily find a good developmental player from Fiji/ PNG/ Samoa...

As for Marty Clarke if he wasn't a collingwood player we barely would have heard about it...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Waste of time IMO...
With the amount of time and effort being put into it you could easily find a good developmental player from Fiji/ PNG/ Samoa...

As for Marty Clarke if he wasn't a collingwood player we barely would have heard about it...

Kennelly, Beagley?

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

mcnicoll thats the one...persoally i rated the recruiting as crap

king...finished 3-4 yrs ago
c.gardiner...hopeless
dempster...as charlie
gehrig...finished 2 yrs ago
schnieder...worth the gamble (not looking 2 good at the moment youd think lyon of all people would know why sydney where keen to offload him)

please no crap about king having a flag under his belt..bloody capuano had 2 of em...means sfa

Solar
Saintsational Legend

oh c'mon mate, watch a pies match and have a look at his skills and decision making. The current game suits the irish down to a tee.

I think this is a great way to branch out our recruitment

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:

Kennelly, Beagley?
Both good players, but you could get players just as good from many other sources, the last think we need is another pacey outside mid or back flanker with questionable footskills...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:

oh c'mon mate, watch a pies match and have a look at his skills and decision making. The current game suits the irish down to a tee.

Because of mates I go to almost as many pies matches as saints matches, the bloke isn't all he is cracked up to be, even my mates agree on that one...

He reminds me a lot of Andrew Raines from a couple years back, has pace and skill but can go missing far too often, even for a young player...

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:I thought nixon was told he couldn't do that

I thought so too- but
The Flying Start founder also has the backing of the AFL, which will recommend to the Galeic Athletic Association (GAA) it sits down with Nixon to scrutinise his plan.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
MadSaintFan
Club Player

Dont quite understand some peoples thinking on this one.

Alot of people are quick to jump on the club for not putting enough effort into recruitment and development, yet when we finally do try something that is reaping benefits for clubs like Collingwood and Sydney - they arent happy.

Whilst there have been a few Irish failures, there have also been a few gems to come from that region that we havent even had a sniff at recruiting. Well done to the club for trying something and who knows, it may well pay off. For 30k its not the end of the world if it doesnt.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
Solar wrote:

Because of mates I go to almost as many pies matches as saints matches, the bloke isn't all he is cracked up to be, even my mates agree on that one...

He reminds me a lot of Andrew Raines from a couple years back, has pace and skill but can go missing far too often, even for a young player...
Hmmm think u better have a look at his highlights reel from last year then Armo, especially the finals series. Admittedly he has started a tad slowly this year but his last month has been 2007 like. Is a coaches' dream and works his butt off on the track. And what was he cracked up to be too?

U tell me...... :roll:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

so baiscally Ricky Nixon is heading off on an Irish holiday with $150k spending money :roll:

i dont care where a player comes from just as long as he can do the basics theres no point picking a player who we have to teach how to kick the ball especially with the craptacular kicking skills we already possess

this push to the irish market is a fair move with 2 more teams earmarked for the AFL the tallent pool mayrun a little shallow so for the years while the two new clubs rape annd pillage the draft its not such a bad idea to look else where for tallent

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/