Blake dropped at last

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

villasaint
Club Player

Blake dropped at last

I having nothing personal against Jason Blake. He works hard, has a big heart, but he really is not up to AFL top team standard. He turns the ball over and just doesnt get enough of it either. I thought he would have been dropped the week before but hey must have given him one more chance which he did not take and they have finally dropped him. I have been a bit down this week as i honestly think we may be in trouble this week against the tigers. We are not playing terribly but seem to be missing a bit of spirit. At the moment I feel a bit like we need to bottle GTs ability to get the player firing week in week out playing for eachother and being competitive with Lyons tactics and knowledge of the game. G in is a worry. Didnt get near it last week whereas the tigers dont bring bowden back in after he has played very well since being dropped a few weeks back. Think we will win now as there is no blake and no fiora will sleep well tongiht. Thoughts

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Blake > you

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Blake > you

Blake > Most of us.

Blake < 22 St.K Players R7.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

my thoughts...you are an idiot.

blake is a top 25 player at the club and he doesnt need to prove anything to you idiots who continue to hang s*** on him.

the coaching staff are aware of his importance, and limitations, and he has still played more often than not.

either support the team and its players, or go follow carlton.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Blake is easily in the top 20,000 AFL/VFL players of all time.

Shaggy
Club Player

brown-coat wrote:Blake is easily in the top 20,000 AFL/VFL players of all time.

Smart comment.

But despite his weaknesses Blake also has a top 4 engine amongst the Saints list as well as being the number jumper and having some serious balls.

As an athlete Blake is exceptional.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

personally I agree with the op

I've got nothing against Jason Blake... and i acknowledge that he is an infinitely more talented player than I will ever be and that he doesn't need to prove himself to me

i also acknowledge that this forum is really more about forumites expressing their opinions rather than serving the club in any which way.

IMO Jason Blake doesn't offer enough to be in the team... in the team as a defensive stopper which he is only ok at... slow, doesn't win a lot of ball, poor disposal, not a great spoiler.
Would rather have Raph in the team as a defender, McEvoy in the team as a ruck, and ne1 in the team ahead of him as a forward

villasaint
Club Player

no worries Fonz just an opinion mate. As I said nothing personal aginst him I support the club not individual players. If Blake is not in the team I believe the club and the team will be better off. Its not like we are being smashed with injuries. We have a few to choose from.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:my thoughts...you are an idiot.

blake is a top 25 player at the club and he doesnt need to prove anything to you idiots who continue to hang s*** on him.

the coaching staff are aware of his importance, and limitations, and he has still played more often than not.

either support the team and its players, or go follow carlton.
I would like to know what 'idiots' you are referring to? As only the OP prior to your comments had expressed their agreement with the selection...

And I would think you would find that Blake is just outside the Top 25 players at the club if you go by the selection table.

22 players + 3 Emergencies = 25 Total.

Blake isn't part of that equation.

So in summary,

-You are defending an accusation that doesn't really exist as nobody has actually 'hung s***' on Blake personally in this thread. Are you implying that he doesn't make mistakes, and doesn't cause turnovers?

-And most importantly you are using incorrect facts/made up analysis to support your argument.

Great work there!

Shaggy
Club Player

skeptic wrote:personally I agree with the op

I've got nothing against Jason Blake... and i acknowledge that he is an infinitely more talented player than I will ever be and that he doesn't need to prove himself to me

i also acknowledge that this forum is really more about forumites expressing their opinions rather than serving the club in any which way.

IMO Jason Blake doesn't offer enough to be in the team... in the team as a defensive stopper which he is only ok at... slow, doesn't win a lot of ball, poor disposal, not a great spoiler...
But JB is one of the few athletes at the Saints who has the endurance capacity which RL's game plan requires.

In between time we have burnt off alot of explosive/non endurance players during RL's reign. And it is obviously continuing. But I would never underestimate some-one like JB who can run 15 kms stop and start in the game.

JB doesn't have the skill set of X but he certainly has more endurance and runs out the game much harder.

Personally I think X is more likely to win us a premiership than JB. But until RL thinks the same and changes the game plan accordingly to suit less endurance athletes, than JB is actualy amongst our top because he is doing what the coach asks whilst the others simply are not capable of doing it (IMO).
Last edited by Shaggy on Thu 01 May 2008 11:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that many forumites have been roasting RL for not being attacking enough, playing too defensive a game plan etc.......

But this week he drops two players who are mainly taggers or defensive....but no praise for the more attacking 22 now assembled????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Interesting that many forumites have been roasting RL for not being attacking enough, playing too defensive a game plan etc.......

But this week he drops two players who are mainly taggers or defensive....but no praise for the more attacking 22 now assembled????
Correct.

Shaggy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Interesting that many forumites have been roasting RL for not being attacking enough, playing too defensive a game plan etc.......

Lol ... is Fish really a tagger?

Is Mini really a tagger?

Is Vossy really a forward?

Is Kosi really a forward?

Is Brooksy really a forward?

Interesting questions but the obvious answer is NO regardless of the needs of the Saints.

So rather than drop Fish I would have much preferred RL released Fish back to back line rather than drop him because he is not a tagger which RL hoped he was :twisted:

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Who cares what sort of "engine" he has...Great..let him run in marathons..he has really NO impact on footy games at all. He runs and runs...hardly gets the ball..and when he does, rarely does it translate to something advantageous. For his size, he lacks agrression. Bleeds for the club, no doubt.. but something is missing...just doesn't read the game...seems like the match committee agree with me.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:

Lol ... is Fish really a tagger?
I am glad you are laughing...

However if you read my post again you will read..

"are mainly taggers or defensive...."

So playing him as a backman is still using him in a defensive manner.

Fish is basically out for Schneider who is an offensive player.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
As an athlete I understand Rix is reportedly quite exceptional too.

Meant to be quicker with greater aerobic capacity than our other rucks...and even talls, except for Roo.

I still prefer our other rucks and talls though.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 02 May 2008 12:07am, edited 1 time in total.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

The dropping of Blake offsets Dempster's inclusion nicely. I suspect Dempster will get the job on Richo which would otherwise have gone to Blake.

I agree with sRr, I take the selections as an effort to make the team more attacking. I like it.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Anyway...the acid is now on Charlie and Dempster tp demonstrate that they are greater value than Blake.

If not then Blake.....or raph are waiting to graba sot back.....and this is a good thing.

Similarly Birss and Goose need to show the goods.

Bakes we assume will......but others such as L Fisher want his spot.

Armo is in...and hasa great future...but will have to work hard to stay in.

King smight be back for the Pies game,,,,,,,and a month or so after that Gilbert will be putting his hand up as well.

The GTrain is back......buut when King is fit.....there would seem to be one too many talls.

Again this is all good.

Shaggy
Club Player

tweedaletomanning wrote:Who cares what sort of "engine" he has...Great..let him run in marathons..he has really NO impact on footy games at all. He runs and runs...hardly gets the ball..and when he does, rarely does it translate to something advantageous. For his size, he lacks agrression. Bleeds for the club, no doubt.. but something is missing...just doesn't read the game...seems like the match committee agree with me.
Personally I think JB is a freak.

I still have a substantial bet that he will take mark of the year during his career. JB IMO has the biggest jump in the AFL.

Does that make him a top footballer ... no. The combination of endurance and jump/explosive athletic however is so rare. Plus he has the courage so it should all fit together.

For whatever reason he lacks something on the football side ... as an athlete (IMO) JB is one of the elite and I guess/suspect both GT and RL think the same.

Don't just watch his mistakes but watch what he does during a game and don't take for granted that it is normal to run 50 metres and jump 6 foot to punch the ball through the opp goals. It is amazing he can do it because it is not normal.

For whatever reason JB will never be a Dal and lacks certain football nous and skills. But he really is a very extraordinary elite athlete (IMO).

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

tweedaletomanning wrote:Who cares what sort of "engine" he has...Great..let him run in marathons..he has really NO impact on footy games at all. He runs and runs...hardly gets the ball..and when he does, rarely does it translate to something advantageous. For his size, he lacks agrression. Bleeds for the club, no doubt.. but something is missing...just doesn't read the game...seems like the match committee agree with me.
If the match selection committee agreed with you, Blake would have dissapeared quietly years ago.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Carl Mynott
Club Player

skeptic wrote:personally I agree with the op

I
Your right.......as far as the club and the teams performance are concerned this forum means absolute shite,its just a place for keyboard experts to try and out do each other........

The more things change the more they stay the same
Shaggy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Shaggy wrote:
As an athlete I understand Rix is reportedly quite exceptional too.

Meant to be quicker with greater aerobic capacity than our other rucks...and even talls, except for Roo.

I still prefer our other rucks and talls though.
That is true. Rixy as I understand was a top APS runner.

But Rixy doesn't have a jump. He is a bit of a one trick pony and can't read the play. JB can.

The problem for JB is that half way through his career the AFL decided to limit the amount of run up the smaller guys are allowed going for a hit out.

Personally I think JB's career was hatchered by the AFL when they introduced the limited centre bounce run up. It killed GT's vision of rucks but GT was quite right. The best rucks were followers not dinosours. But now Dinosours are back in vogue :D (But only because of rules)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
. But now Dinosours are back in vogue :D (But only because of rules)
You might be pleased to note that an athlete is most likely to go No 1 in this years draft then....

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ive never had a problem with blake being in the side.
can only remember one OUTSTANDING game he had tho and that was when he carved up Goodes once....Goddes just didnt pay him any respect and he paid for it all game.
other than that he is steady and always puts in each time he is picked.
ive heard he is highly rated as an athlete and person by his team mates and peeps at the club.

if he has to go, then so be it.....
lets see who wants a perm spot this week outta the players that are on the fringe

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'm not into having the team whipping boy mentality. JB has been a good contributer to the club over the past 5 or so years. Sure he doesn't have the most silky smooth skills, but has come in handy when we've lacked height.

Good luck to him in the 2's. Hope he gets another chance to prove himself.