Kids v Top Ups ??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rocket
Club Player

Kids v Top Ups ??

7 Kids = ?

Versus

7 Top ups =C,Gardiner, Gardiner, Schnieder, King, Birss, Dempster, Gehrig

Going to sound harsh on Schnieder, but Sydney let him go for a reason and that reason being he has a long history of hamstring problems. Even under Mission, 3 weeks in, bang hammy. Super when up but no value in the stand.

The ruck stocks works when fit, but let's be honest both King and Gardiner are injury prone. I know there has not been a heap of ruck options, but could a longer term approach have been better?

Gehrig has the ability to turn his situation around.
Dempster - Good defensively and performs OK stopping rolls.
Charlie - Done OK, but turns the ball over and critical times. Is he the solution?Would we be better putting a kid in (Allen or Jack Stephen) providing valuable game time?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

king was a good choice i thought, the coaching mob musta seen that the kids we do have coming thru the ruck division would take a bit to develop and was more of a sound option to draft the big fella.

gards is an excellent ruckman, but i seriously had doubts when we got him, basically due to injuries and whether he still wanted to perform at this level.

i thought charlie was a good pick up too.
he either plays really well or is quiet, thats the prob i have with him.
i like his build and size tho, and obviously has some ability.

birss.....well i ve always given this guy a bad rap.
ok he had 4 clearances on the weekend and did averagely but out of all the top ups i think he was the one that shouldnt have been picked up.
im not saying his work effort isnt there, its just he doesnt seem to be able to play at the level required.

schneider is something that we need up in those forward areas i think.
i think his hammies might have had something to do with the swans letting him go, but i think it was more of a salary cap issue.
ive heard he is on a decent wicket over our way. (who knows tho)

dempster?...i have no idea, really i havent had too much of a chance to see him in action so i cant comment on him.

the G train was a great top up...went from being a running backman to a major force in the forward line.
ok the debate is whether he should have stayed retired last year (i think he has more in him), but u would have to admit he has been good for the club on field and has a presence around him that people love and look up to.

know is the time to really start getting these young fellas we have behind the scenes up to scratch.
some of these kids need to be at the level required to play in the seniors NOW......basically because as soon as we get a couple of injuries we are stuffed.

ratismeat
Club Player

Nearly all ruckmen are injury prone.