Roos/Lyon owe football an apology.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Roos/Lyon owe football an apology.

Ok 4pts is 4pts.....Win is a win etc etc

But that was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen.
Just imagine if we lost

later in the year the 4pts will be valuable...

:wink:

saint4life
Darren
Club Player

Have to agree with that. We ain't going to make the the top 8 if our kicking skills are like this.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

the game was not that bad, it was a very hard contest... :)
The worse and most boring game of footy to watch was that Hawthorn Saints game last year..... That game could have put anyone to sleep.

Them games mean everything later in the year when we are fighting for a 4 four spot. (which you have already pointed out :) )

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

In terms of level of skills and goal kicking it was dire, but the the game was in the balance all the way to the end, so neither set of supporters were leaving early.

midas_touch
Club Player

Well winning ugly is 50 times better than losing ugly. We played the game on their terms, yet still managed to hold on.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

LOL...kinda what i said earlier

watching it on telly it was one of those nailbiting really close exciting crap games lol

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Lets not pass judgement until we know how important/valuable those 4 points are at the end of the season !!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

you guys are on drugs. win or lose, that was disgraceful CRAP!!!! :evil:

no ifs or buts

Huzzad
Club Player

Am happy to take 4 points, but do not think we deserve it. Was very dissapointed with the effort tonight. Lets hope its just ironing out the kinks. Need to do much better though.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:Well winning ugly is 50 times better than losing ugly. We played the game on their terms, yet still managed to hold on.
why are we continually forced to play games on someone else's terms? we should be setting the agenda, not following it.

perhaps fraser back next week will help us, but it just amazes me that a team with our talent can put only six goals on the board for the match.

sure beats losing, i guess, but i reckon we are more than a couple of points better than the swans.

same old problem by the looks of it. not enough goals on the board
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 22 Mar 2008 11:33pm, edited 2 times in total.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
midas_touch wrote:Well winning ugly is 50 times better than losing ugly. We played the game on their terms, yet still managed to hold on.
why are we continually forced to play games on someone else's terms. we should be setting the agenda, not following it.

perhaps fraser back next week will help us, but i just amazes me that a team with our talent can only put six goals on the board for the match.
because roos is a bloody good coach and did a number on lyon tonight. Took the old flood to a midfield flood which put us on the back foot. lyon will hopefully learn from this

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
why are we continually forced to play games on someone else's terms. we should be setting the agenda, not following it.

perhaps fraser back next week will help us, but it just amazes me that a team with our talent can only put six goals on the board for the match.
because roos is a bloody good coach and did a number on lyon tonight. Took the old flood to a midfield flood which put us on the back foot. lyon will hopefully learn from this
did he? i haven't seen the game yet, so i'll refrain from commenting until i have. glad to win but disappointed that it was so difficult.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

BIG CARL raises what is a real problem, maybe the crux of it all

"why are we continually forced to play games on someone else's terms? we should be setting the agenda, not following it. "

matrix
Saintsational Legend

he;s right thou...they did actually flood the midfield at some stages.

but, agreed , we have to start dictating the style and pace of the game.
if they flood then we have to start letting grammy loose with torps from 55 :P.
give him 30 shots a game he's bound to kick half a dozen :P

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

We would have rolled over in the last quarter last season, so I think for us to have hung on for the win is a credit to their determination this year.

Think the style of play will be markedly different next week.

God Sydney play a boring game of football. Fancy paying money to watch that crap every week. At least we only have to watch it once or twice a year & it's now over until rd. 12.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

We missed Goodard and Gram big time.

They can break a flood because they are 70-80m players - they can kick 60m and run 20m and it breaks the flooding tempo of a game.

Huge weapons to have ... Kennelly the same for Sydney.

Gram was out of the game completely and got cut to pieces by O'Keefe. Bad coaching from RL not to try and free him up and get him running. Would have made a big difference.

Still, we had 21 shots on goal. Should be able to kick a winning score from that, so there wasn't anything fundamentally wrong.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 9:30am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Wouldn't like to see that style all the time, but at least if we meet the swines in finals - we've proven we can handle them... at their own game :)
i'd rather force them to try to handle us at our own game.

I'm not sure they could if we went all out attack and kicked long and direct to riewoldt, kosi, fraser, milne, etc.

sure, shut down their playmakers. but don't let them drag us down to their own miserable, negative level.

to me it gives them too much of a sniff and they nearly rolled us tonight in a match we should have won comfortably if we'd been able to maintain the attacking style we started with.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roos/Lyon owe football an apology.

chook23 wrote:
obviously you didnt see the hawks v saints game at the G last year? :wink:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:later in the year the 4pts will be valuable...

:wink:
Yep, we will be 4 games clear on top instead of 3.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

snoopygirl wrote:
God Sydney play a boring game of football. Fancy paying money to watch that crap every week. At least we only have to watch it once or twice a year & it's now over until rd. 12.
I live in Sydney and we go to watch them a bit, becuse seeing any football is better than none and the other half she barracks for them

but you are right, they are undoubtedly the most boring side to watch.

I feel if we had got a couple more goals early then it would have never happened last night as Roos would have had to throw caution out the window to try and chase the score down. 3 goals was not enough

Saints_45
Club Player

Ross made an interesting comment after the game on 10. Something like 'we learnt some harsh lessons tonight'. I assume he meant by re adjusting mid game but he didn't really explain the comment that much.

Really we kicked 6 goals but it should have been 10-11 goals with the shots on goal we had. Same could be said with Sydney. 6 goals 15 behinds is shocking kicking when not many were rushed either.

clobba
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:
chook23 wrote:
obviously you didnt see the hawks v saints game at the G last year? :wink:
He said one of, not the worst he had seen....and I'd agree and put it at #2 on embarrassingly bad games list

ace
Saintsational Legend

The key lesson from the game is that once again Paul Roos has found a way to stop an exciting new brand of football.
In 2004 Roos showed the rest of the football world how to beat the unstoppable St Kilda forwards with a total defensive flood.
St Kilda was far less sucessful in the second half of that season. Unable to score themselves and then scored against on the break.
Grant Thomas never found a proper counter to this tactic.

Last night the moving of the defensive flood to a mid field flood prevented the fast down the corridor attack that Geelong used so effectively last year and all clubs including St Kilda are trying to emulate this year.

All coaches need to study how Roos shut down St Kilda's fast down the corridor attack and develop means to combat it.

St Kilda will need to copy Roos mid field flood tactic in 3 weeks time.

Winning ugly is better than losing.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

It was the most boring game i've seen since the saints played the swans last time.

You guarantee a yawn fest when these two teams play eachother.

Thanks for the 4 points. Lets get some entertaining footy in the coming weeks! Please.