Leigh Fisher and overall team footspeed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Leigh Fisher and overall team footspeed

Firstly, I'm rapt we won the NAB Cup and the cash that goes with it. I'm alos rapt with the fact that when we had to stand up in the last quarter, Ball, Harvs, Gram, Milne and even Fiora stepped up to the mark.

HOWEVER, I also saw some disturbing signs on Saturday night.

As was the case last year, there is a notieceable lack of footspeed in our team. This means that the opposition is able to "lead up" too easily and move the ball down field. It also means when we kick the ball it is often to contests because the receiver is not able to break away from his marker. I was hoping for improvements in this area this year but apart from CJ I don't know where it is going to coming from.

Leigh Fisher's lack of footspeed is a particular worry. He gets caught and/or run down too many times...I question whether he commands a spot in our best 22 at the minute.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Just remember it was 36 degrees and everyone was noticably slower.
Even Joey was moving like Jobe Watson at a few stages.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

This has been an issue for a while, but I think the way the coaches are trying to address it is through smarter running, not necessarily faster running.

Take Lenny for example, he's never been overly quick, but it's not as obvious as a Leigh Fisher because he's rarely caught out of position.

On the other hand, Raph clarke can really motor, but gets caught a lot and looks slow because of bad positioning and poor decision making.

If Leigh Fisher can continue to develop smarter running skills, then his lack of pace will be less of an issue.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Lenny is a ball carrier and is good in traffic, so gets away with a slight lack of speed. Characteristics L Fischer might need to take his game to the next level?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Get off the guys back. The team doing the chasing always looks slow. L Fisher has very sure hands and is good in close. Can't believe the scrutiny he gets

yipper
SS Life Member

Essendon are quick this year are they not?? Well, funny how they couldn't shake us off all game. We have improved our leg-speed with the influx of our newer younger players. We also have Ball and Hayes moving freely this year. But we are also running smarter and harder at the end of games through much improved fitness. Our tackling is also superb thus far,which helps to contain fleet-footed opponents.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Mr X from the West
Club Player

yipper wrote:Essendon are quick this year are they not?? Well, funny how they couldn't shake us off all game. We have improved our leg-speed with the influx of our newer younger players. We also have Ball and Hayes moving freely this year. But we are also running smarter and harder at the end of games through much improved fitness. Our tackling is also superb thus far,which helps to contain fleet-footed opponents.
You can't tackle them if you can't catch them!

Ignore the problem at our peril.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The issue of legspeed.....and team balance is one factor in both Fiora's and Jone's favour....and may help one or both of them to grab a spot in the 22 for Round 1.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I would think that geelong last year were not any more faster then we were but they moved the ball quicker... chasing bums makes anyone look slow

btw not many backs would have stopped some of those leads.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Mr X from the West
Club Player

Solar wrote:I would think that geelong last year were not any more faster then we were but they moved the ball quicker... chasing bums makes anyone look slow

Geelong are a s*** load faster than us.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Mr X from the West wrote:
Solar wrote:I would think that geelong last year were not any more faster then we were but they moved the ball quicker... chasing bums makes anyone look slow

Geelong are a s*** load faster than us.
who? we have our outside runners and so do they. Bartel v hayes, dal v corey?? ablett is not slow...

but its more their football movement that killed everyone last year

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Quick ball movement is far more important than leg speed - lots of players get caught and you can't always cut off good leads that hit players on the chest - the best defenders are right on their hammer even when the opposition is hit lace out - you will note that Max even when beaten one on one on lead always was within arm distance.
Don't panic!
Other teams will kick goals, we just need to kick more and surely with a mid field like we have now and a forward line of G, 23, 12, 44, 13, 3, 28 we should do damn well.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

You only need three or four speedsters in the team to break the lines.

Look at Geelong. Their midield has Bartel, Corey, Ling and co. who have never been seen as super-quick.

They are no quicker than the Saints, and they had a super season in 2007

True, you need some speed in your team, but just how many quick players required is debatabl.

As for Leigh Fisher, I think he's an automatic selection - tough, disiplined, and makes good decisions. I just can't understand those who rate him so poorly.

Have a look at the first 14 games last season and see for yourself just how good he was.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:You only need three or four speedsters in the team to break the lines.

Look at Geelong. Their midield has Bartel, Corey, Ling and co. who have never been seen as super-quick.

They are no quicker than the Saints, and they had a super season in 2007

True, you need some speed in your team, but just how many quick players required is debatabl.

As for Leigh Fisher, I think he's an automatic selection - tough, disiplined, and makes good decisions. I just can't understand those who rate him so poorly.

Have a look at the first 14 games last season and see for yourself just how good he was.
His kicking to position is not good enough in my book.
Look at the tape sometime in the third a pass straight over Roo's head, just should not have missed.
Fixes this part of his game, becomes an automatic selection for mine.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

I noticed with Essendons "quickness" last week that sometimes they were too quick for the next link in the chain & ended up turning it over. Would much rather have safe hands, good vision & accuracy than foot speed.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Geelong aren't that quick, West Coast weren't that fast, Sydney weren't, Port weren't and Brisbane weren't...
It's not about how fast you are it's about how well you use the ball and find space....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Get off the guys back. The team doing the chasing always looks slow. L Fisher has very sure hands and is good in close. Can't believe the scrutiny he gets
Very well said!