Was Aaron going to follow Fraser, do a Mal Michael...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintm
Club Player

Was Aaron going to follow Fraser, do a Mal Michael...

or have I misinterpreted the piece in Scott Palmer's column in the Sunday Herald-Sun today??

Palmer says that a second medical opinion stopped Hamill from nominating for this year's pre-season draft.

Instead, Aaron is considering media and coaching offers for 2008 but is unlikely to play at a lower level due to his knee injury.

The thoughts of those who have read the small piece would be appreciated!!

The Peanut
Club Player

Didn't see the piece in the paper - but there was a strong rumour around that Aaron might be picked up again because his injury was said to be much better that was earlier believed. I was watching with interest at the pre-season draft noms. Its a shame for all the reasons - but especially for him. Interesting comments by Scotty Palmer.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I suggest Aaron, after his departure from the Saints, has had the typical "you're a long time retired" feelings and being the competitor he his decided to do everything right by his own nature and confirm (one more time) that he would not be able to compete at AFL level.

If he's involved at a club in 2008 he'll be absolutely fantastic for the first and second year players with their development.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote:If he's involved at a club in 2008 he'll be absolutely fantastic for the first and second year players with their development.
One would hope that if that's the case, then he should do some work down at Moorabbin.

After all we have invested a lot of time and money with him.....

lendog heaven
Club Player

If the truth be known, Sammy was sacked hence the reason he did not turn up at the B&F. No prospect of him coming back to us in any capacity I wld suggest.

Tramps like us.............
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

lendog heaven wrote:If the truth be known, Sammy was sacked hence the reason he did not turn up at the B&F. No prospect of him coming back to us in any capacity I wld suggest.

If true thats a real shame.

Huzzad
Club Player

I guess it is possible...but Aaron loved the Saints. Not much you can do about injuries unfortunatly. Look at Lance. Besides, If Hammer did a Mal Michael, Warnie would have killed him.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
esaint66
SS Life Member

hahaha yeh to true huzzad but then again you never know with professional athletes

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought for sheer energy and being able to engender a bit of mongrel into our squad Hammill would be sensational to have back at our club in some capacity - assistant role whatever the guy is leadership class.

He is one player I truly miss not having out there cause the entire team walked taller when he was on.

“Yeah….nah””
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I would have thought for sheer energy and being able to engender a bit of mongrel into our squad Hammill would be sensational to have back at our club in some capacity - assistant role whatever the guy is leadership class.

He is one player I truly miss not having out there cause the entire team walked taller when he was on.
Agreed..I'd have him back in some sort of peer, motivation or guidance role in a heartbeat.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
HarveysDeciple

Teflon wrote:I would have thought for sheer energy and being able to engender a bit of mongrel into our squad Hammill would be sensational to have back at our club in some capacity - assistant role whatever the guy is leadership class.

absolutely.

Made everyone around him play better football just by his sheer presence.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Hope he doesn't go back to Carlton in that role!

I agree with a comment above, we put in a fair amount of time and plenty of the folding stuff into Aaron, but if he's been sacked (which was also my mail) then, it's not going to happen.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
RBnW
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:Hope he doesn't go back to Carlton in that role!

I agree with a comment above, we put in a fair amount of time and plenty of the folding stuff into Aaron, but if he's been sacked (which was also my mail) then, it's not going to happen.

he wouldnt be allowed to go anywhere and play well not in the AFL....if he was paid out as was reported the club would have put something in the contract to make sure he couldnt play for any other club or go in the draft.....you dont gey paid out then allowed to go back into the draft.....the Mal Michael thing was clearly stuffed by Brisbane......we must have had something in that stopped this from happening to us.....I think he was offered a position with the club and turned it down

Our best is yet
to come......
saintm
Club Player

RBnW wrote:

he wouldnt be allowed to go anywhere and play well not in the AFL....if he was paid out as was reported the club would have put something in the contract to make sure he couldnt play for any other club or go in the draft.....you dont gey paid out then allowed to go back into the draft.....the Mal Michael thing was clearly stuffed by Brisbane......we must have had something in that stopped this from happening to us.....I think he was offered a position with the club and turned it down
Have re-read the piece in Sunday's paper and I still gather that had the medical opinion been positive it was Aaron's intention to nominate for the pre-season draft (providing the information in the paper is correct).

Given that the medical opinion was not positive, I realise that this is all hypothetical, but perhaps the distinction lies in whether he was sacked, as has been suggested in this thread, or whether he retired. If he was sacked would it be restraint of trade to not let him continue his career elsewhere??

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:
RBnW wrote:

Have re-read the piece in Sunday's paper and I still gather that had the medical opinion been positive it was Aaron's intention to nominate for the pre-season draft (providing the information in the paper is correct).

Given that the medical opinion was not positive, I realise that this is all hypothetical, but perhaps the distinction lies in whether he was sacked, as has been suggested in this thread, or whether he retired. If he was sacked would it be restraint of trade to not let him continue his career elsewhere??
I'm not sure that 'sacked' is the correct term in this case. The Club had medical advice that his knee was stuffed and he would never be able to play again at the same level as previuosly and so encouraged him to 'retire' even tough he was contracted for season 2008. There were basically 2 reasons for this:-
to free up a place on our list
to free up some money in our salary cap for 2008.

Sammy apparently received differing medical advice that his knee would recover and he would be able to again play. The Club decided to go with its own medical advice and Sammy apparently was very upset with this decision.

saintm
Club Player

Thanks for your explanation, Mr Magic.

Even though hard decisions are sometimes necessary in football it is always a bit sad when both parties are not happy with the end result.

peter lockwood
Club Player

I just hope whatever happened Aaron can still be asscociated with our club and not go elsewhere.

Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

Was a wild rumour doing the rounds in some circles here a few weeks back now that sammy was possibly thinking of signing with central district here in the SANFL. :evil:

Luckily that seems to be all it was,rumour. :)

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sammy apparently received differing medical advice that his knee would recover and he would be able to again play. The Club decided to go with its own medical advice and Sammy apparently was very upset with this decision.
In fairness I think the club did all it could to get Hamill up and going again really his playing days arent the issue now for me hed just be an awesome presence around the joint in some capacity.

Why run into Johnston sammy.....I will never quite understand that...

“Yeah….nah””
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Mr Magic wrote: Sammy apparently received differing medical advice that his knee would recover and he would be able to again play. The Club decided to go with its own medical advice and Sammy apparently was very upset with this decision.
In fairness I think the club did all it could to get Hamill up and going again really his playing days arent the issue now for me hed just be an awesome presence around the joint in some capacity.

and lift the knee.....
and hit his hip bone!!!

thigh man thigh man

:(

saint4life
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

and lift the knee.....
and hit his hip bone!!!

thigh man thigh man

:(
and run past the ball.......who woulda thought that'd be about it for him....

such a waste in many ways....im off to grab 2004 season games out... :cry:

“Yeah….nah””
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Lot of talk about Hamill staying to get some 'mongrel' into our team.

He's been at the club for 6 years.

We still don't have any mongrel.

When he played, he led by example. But it appears on face value, he hasn't made any mark on the playing group in regards to their toughness in his non-playing capacity.

I don't know why we think he would be able to add value in this regard if he's not playing.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Lot of talk about Hamill staying to get some 'mongrel' into our team.

When he played, he led by example. But it appears on face value, he hasn't made any mark on the playing group in regards to their toughness in his non-playing capacity.

I don't know why we think he would be able to add value in this regard if he's not playing.
mongrel comes from success...and success comes from confidence...and confidence comes from winning games

if we get off to a good start this year its a given that our mongrel and tenacity will return

lenny will be better for the run last year same with kosi...they were both and are physical types

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Lot of talk about Hamill staying to get some 'mongrel' into our team.

Hamill is universally respected by the players - first critical part in any role that could assist and influence player development and performance.

Hamill's onfield aggression and sheer energy (regarded by many at his peak as the best defensive fwd going round) would be enormous around the club in an official capacity (not as an injured player resting in QLD...) - particularly for the younger rookies/draftees - as his attitude on the training track was said by many players to be the way he played the game. If that could be of no benefit in helping players - ESPECIALLY YOUNGER ONES - learn whats required at AFL levels then I'll go hee. IMO Hamill was often the best exponent of what a player had to do when they did not have the footy.....how many contests/spillages did he provide for the likes of Milne and co....and thatd be no use at our club in any official capacity. :roll: ....hhmm....

As he did when he played AND trained what Hamill bought to our club was as much about attitude and professionalism.....in many ways the "mongrel" he could empart on younger players is as much about what goes on between the ears as it would be physical......and how many times do we know the game is won/lost in that space or wish that certain players had that little extra determination that Hamill had for a contest?

“Yeah….nah””
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Hamill is universally respected by the players - first critical part in any role that could assist and influence player development and performance.

Hamill's onfield aggression and sheer energy (regarded by many at his peak as the best defensive fwd going round) would be enormous around the club in an official capacity (not as an injured player resting in QLD...) - particularly for the younger rookies/draftees - as his attitude on the training track was said by many players to be the way he played the game. If that could be of no benefit in helping players - ESPECIALLY YOUNGER ONES - learn whats required at AFL levels then I'll go hee. IMO Hamill was often the best exponent of what a player had to do when they did not have the footy.....how many contests/spillages did he provide for the likes of Milne and co....and thatd be no use at our club in any official capacity. :roll: ....hhmm....

As he did when he played AND trained what Hamill bought to our club was as much about attitude and professionalism.....in many ways the "mongrel" he could empart on younger players is as much about what goes on between the ears as it would be physical......and how many times do we know the game is won/lost in that space or wish that certain players had that little extra determination that Hamill had for a contest?
agree entirely teffers

he came from a professional successful club at the time and knew what to do to get 'it' done

this way passed onto our young team stockpiled with potential and the obvious high draft picks

i hope he stays around the club...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.