Ins: 2008 Outs: 2007 - List Changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Ins: 2008 Outs: 2007 - List Changes

Received:
Adam Schneider + Sean Dempster for Brett Meredith (National Draft Pick 26)
Steven King + Charlie Gardiner for Pass (National Draft Pick 90)
Ben McEvoy for National Draft Pick 9
Jack Steven for National Draft Pick 42
Fraser Gehrig for National Draft Pick 57
Eljay Connors for National Draft Pick 70
Glenn Chivers for Rookie Draft Pick 8
Luke Miles for Rookie Draft Pick 24
Andrew McQualter for Rookie Draft Pick 39
Khan Haretuku for Rookie Draft Pick 51

Delisted:
Fraser Gehrig (Retired)
Matthew Clarke (Retired)
Aaron Hamill (Retired)
Andrew Thompson (Retired)
Barry Brooks
Phil Raymond
Andrew McQualter
Justin Sweeney
Fergus Watts
James Wall

Overall:

Adam Schneider, Sean Dempster, Steven King, Charlie Gardiner, Ben McEvoy, Jack Steven, Eljay Connors, Glenn Chivers, Luke Miles, Khan Haretuku

For

Matthew Clarke, Aaron Hamill, Andrew Thompson, Barry Brooks, Phil Raymond, Justin Sweeney, Fergus Watts, James Wall, Brett Meredith (Pick 26)

brilliant work imo!
Last edited by SaintBot on Tue 11 Dec 2007 12:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben_fff
Club Player

Adam Schneider > Aaron Hamill
(purely because Hamill's career was over as soon as he did his knee against Geelong)

Sean Dempster = Andrew Thompson
(Thomo struggled in his last season, Dempster should be a fringe player, could maybe break into the side as a defensive style player who assists in set plays from kick ins.)

Steven King > Matthew Clarke
(Expecting alot more out of King then what Clarke gave us, should be one of the best additions we've had in recent years.)

Charlie Gardiner > Justin Sweeney
(I just couldn't rate Sweeney, in all the VFL games I've seen him play (maybe 8 or so) he just doesn't look good enough, I havn't seen a heap of Gardiner but what I have seen of him in the afl... well he looks handy and should add a bit of depth.)

Too early to judge.
Ben McEvoy
Jack Steven
Eljay Connors
Glenn Chivers
Luke Miles
Khan Haretuku

As much as I would have liked to have seen Watts retained he was probably too slow. I was never really a fan of Barry Brooks, he did some damage in the Brisbane game due to the fact Brisbane lacked key defenders and didn't really show anything else in any other games.

Huzzad
Club Player

Does seem like we have come out on top. Pitty about Hamill, if he was actually in form and capable of playing, then there is no way I'd trade him for any of those players, but the fact the poor bugger spent most of the last 2 seasons on the sideline, there is no way we'd get him back.

As for the rest, seems like we have done very well, time will tell though.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We have also effectively drafted Geary and Jones.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Everybody seems to be forgetting Geary. He could be a very good player for us.

Jaz
Club Player

We have been crying out for a ruckman and a mid sized forward. So I am extremely confident for 2008. King, Gardiner and schneider should be exactly what we need. Dempster will probably play 15 games next year and is very much a required player. Gardiner will be backup only but will replace watts, And i think that is why we delisted watts.

If there is anything i can say, BUY your membership for 2008 as we have the requirements for a premiership team. If king and gardiner are fit then our only possible weakness is pace in the midfield if we loose a couple of injuries.
Last edited by Jaz on Wed 12 Dec 2007 12:33am, edited 1 time in total.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Yep, Geary was my pick for the best recruit of the year ...

The obvious was players like Schnieder who has already is an established player IMO

I would love this kid to come from rookie and make it

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote:Adam Schneider > Aaron Hamill
(purely because Hamill's career was over as soon as he did his knee against Geelong)

(Thomo struggled in his last season, Dempster should be a fringe player, could maybe break into the side as a defensive style player who assists in set plays from kick ins.)

(Expecting alot more out of King then what Clarke gave us, should be one of the best additions we've had in recent years.)

(I just couldn't rate Sweeney, in all the VFL games I've seen him play (maybe 8 or so) he just doesn't look good enough, I havn't seen a heap of Gardiner but what I have seen of him in the afl... well he looks handy and should add a bit of depth.)

Too early to judge.
Ben McEvoy
Jack Steven
Eljay Connors
Glenn Chivers
Luke Miles
Khan Haretuku

As much as I would have liked to have seen Watts retained he was probably too slow. I was never really a fan of Barry Brooks, he did some damage in the Brisbane game due to the fact Brisbane lacked key defenders and didn't really show anything else in any other games.
in all honesty
a 4foot midgit holding a broome > Clarke - he was realy a waste of time his heart wasnt in it at all i think once it was obviouse we were struggling to make the 8 he lost all intrest in playing

anyone who can get a game > sweeny - be it attitude or whatever the kid couldnt crack it into the seniors without a major injury disaster

if schnides can play more then 10 games in the next 2 years he will be more worth to us then hammil on the sidelines but then again any fit player who can break into the team is more useful then hamil on the sidlines

thommo > dempster - with thommo you knew your would get a 100% effort and he left nothing in the tank his leadership will be missed on the feild as would hamils but we survived 2006 and 2007 without that

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Jaz
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
ben_fff wrote:Adam Schneider > Aaron Hamill

Too early to judge.
Ben McEvoy
Jack Steven
Eljay Connors
Glenn Chivers
Luke Miles
Khan Haretuku

in all honesty
a 4foot midgit holding a broome > Clarke - he was realy a waste of time his heart wasnt in it at all i think once it was obviouse we were struggling to make the 8 he lost all intrest in playing

anyone who can get a game > sweeny - be it attitude or whatever the kid couldnt crack it into the seniors without a major injury disaster

if schnides can play more then 10 games in the next 2 years he will be more worth to us then hammil on the sidelines but then again any fit player who can break into the team is more useful then hamil on the sidlines

thommo > dempster - with thommo you knew your would get a 100% effort and he left nothing in the tank his leadership will be missed on the feild as would hamils but we survived 2006 and 2007 without that
Why does everyone bag clarke so much? He was only ever a tap ruckman, and that is what he did he won more tapouts than he lost. But did nothing else. Thats why GT never rated ruckmen, he wanted them to do more, so now when we had a genuine ruckman everyone bags him for not doing anything else apart from wining the ruck!!

Also give Dempster a chance, i dont think he is in our best 22 but will propably play > 10 games a year and be very important for us. Consider that he is second in line to Kennally who is probably the best back flank (or K Cornes, when he plays back there ).

In Conclusion I dont understand all the negativity when IMHO i think 2008 could be the year for the saints,We have every position covered and with some good management of injuries and some developing players we can devinately go all the way!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

not being negative
i think we have a great chance with the dempster comment its more of a compliment to thommo then a put down to dempster

and as for clarke his tap work was fine and i get what you say that that was what he was recruited to do but if you watch other rucks in the comp they also lay sheperds and block for the mids and most of all all footballers on the feild have to atempt to tackle not like clarkes half assed atempt at and atempt to tackle

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/