Gehrig's return to AFL ranks .... The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

my les foote
Club Player

Gehrig's return to AFL ranks .... The Age

Gehrig's return to AFL ranks was only ever going to stop at St Kilda

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/g ... 93791.html

NOT for Fraser Gehrig the nervous wait to see whether his name would be called in the national draft.

The un-retired St Kilda spearhead did not attend the draft, was not yet even back in the country and had no doubt he would wind up with his beloved Saints — if he wound up anywhere at all, that is.

Having established he was serious through a series of phone calls between Moorabbin and Switzerland, St Kilda took Gehrig at pick 57, fearful that had it waited any longer, another club might pre-empt it.

According to Gehrig, who revealed the story behind his return to the AFL exclusively yesterday in The Age, the Saints needn't have worried.

"I didn't speak to any other club, and if I was a person from another club, I wouldn't have recruited me, either," he told a news conference yesterday.

That wasn't because he couldn't play — 255 games and 540 career goals attest Gehrig can do that. No, it was because he is 31 (32 next March) "and my heart is at St Kilda, not anywhere else".

"I've been at St Kilda seven years and this is the only club I want to play for. If any other club had been silly enough to pick me up, they would have been wasting a pick."

Gehrig has re-signed to a one-year contract.

Win it for HIM!
karnak
Club Player

I love it,

can't get enough of Gehrig news at the moment. hehehe.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Cam1lla
Club Player

is he back for 2008 AFL?

nathan000
Club Player

Cam1lla wrote:is he back for 2008 AFL?
yes got picked up in the draft. will be good to see him hopefuly play next to kosi for a full season.