Nice blokes or a bit up themselves?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

peter lockwood
Club Player

Nice blokes or a bit up themselves?

Was just wondering what players people have met and who they thought were good blokes and the ones that didnt quite get there.
For mine Harvey,Winmar,Gtrain and Voss are top blokes with Burke topping the bunch, great bloke.
Not quite so nice in my opinion when i met them were the likes Smith,Max and Goddard.
Most of the time Ive met these blokes are at after match functions at AAMI stadium after a loss, that might be the reason for some behaviour,I dont know.
Would be very intrested in hearing from people that frequent the club and see the boys often.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

very harsh to judge a players personality on one meeting I reckon..far too easy to misjudge shyness as being "up himself"

Having said that..I will not hear a bad word against Max. My daughter took him flowers and a teddy bear to training afer "that" game v the Bulldogs in 2000

Was a total gentleman, genuinely chuffed to get them, posed for photos and chatted to her for ages. All with the opposite end of the spectrum, Spoider, yelling smutty comments from afar.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
andrew Jobling
Club Player

I have met a number of players over the years in different forums. I know Stewie Loewe well as his boy Sam went to creche with my boy and we did the birthday party thing for awhile and actually at one of the parties Harvey was there so had a good conversation with him.Went out to a Indian restaurant with my wife and Stew and Annie when they where together . Stew is a great guy and does'nt mind chatting about the old days. Also I have spoke to Max a number of times when I have bumped into him at a local timber place (he is a part time builder and I run a landscaping business) and he has remembered me and been kind enough to say g'day. And i once had a great chat to Sammy Hamill on a plane flying back from Fremantle back in 2004 when we gave the dockers a caning and he was an awesome guy to chat to. And my next door neighbor's daughter is married to David Grant who I see on a regular basis and he allways says hello. Hey they are all people like you and me and I think they actually like it when you treat them that way rather than as a demi god

Behind every great man is...... a surprised woman!
peter lockwood
Club Player

Im not in anyway trying to bag our boys on only one meeting far from it.I shouldve worded my post differently.What boys have you found to go above and beyond the call of duty as regards to supporters?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Controvercial but Barry Hall good guy.

goodie
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:Controvercial but Barry Hall good guy.
He may be in real life, but I won't forgive him for that cheap shot on Goose

claystreet
Club Player

Barry Hall top bloke he actually rang me after meeting my daughter (dont read that the wrong way she was 9) and invited me for a drink at the club

Some drinks with Winmar and Lockett at the club (nice guys) and met plugger at some BBQ's, he was alway good for a chat

Joffa Cunningham nicest bloke youd ever want to meet

Ian Cooper at the tip nearly every day always had time for a chat, he had Coops Scoops back them :lol:

Gilbert Mc Adam real nice bloke

When i was a kid i met Carl Ditteritch and Doc Baldock they became my heroes after that meeting and we went on to win a flag

Nathan Bourke how genuine do you want, another Banger with his modesty

and lots more, very few were bad, mostly all good

Trevor Barker was real up himself on the number of occasions i met him
but it was still sad to see him go so young

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Controvercial but Barry Hall good guy.
yeah, he is, along with rocca and archer!

nice guys from the club...
Milne, x.clarke, c.jones, rix, joey, and fraser, but Dal leading them by far!

some guys who can be a bit rude sometimes...
bj, riewoldt, and thats about it

i didnt really like kosi at the start of the year, until i went to a training session and went on the other side of the oval where there is no grand stand, and him and rix were doing some running skills, like a beep text, and i said hi to him and wanted to know how he was, and he chatted away for about 5 mins telling me about how he is not good because the trainers are making him do this rubbish etc....and after the training was over i got to have a kick with him!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

seriously i enjoy what they do on the ground.

with the exception of Robert Harvey who I must say sadly I idolise :( I just want them to stay out of the news for bad media, and dominate on the football oval.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Beekay
SS Life Member

There is such a fine line.

These are normal people in very exposed positions.

All it takes is for a misunderstanding of a fan about a player's attitude, to turn to everyone that the fan talks footy to thinking that player is a bad bloke.

Hell, I am sure some peoples' opinions on players have changed by just reading this thread. Nobody really even knows anyone here.

I think it is really harsh to judge a player unless you know them or they have done something really major to warrant a decision about them being based.

I think people, just like in real life, receive vibes of certain players and naturally, maybe sub-consciously, feel negatively towards them.

I've been guilty of this and I'll admit that although Riewoldt is one of my favourite players - if not my favourite - there is just something I don't like about his attitude I have seen away from the football field and I naturally agree to someone elses negative opinion about him when it could be a complete mistake of a situation.

Then I am sure someone would think quite the opposite about Riewoldt or other players.

milney044
Club Player

Aaron Hamill, Dal, Milney and Bakes are on the top of my list for nicest a long with Rixy, Fergus was a top bloke as well.

I think its unfair on the players to say they are rude, up themselves or unfriendly. they have just as much right to have a bad day as anyone and unless they tell me to f*** off on a st kilda based event i can excuse them for being in a bad mood (this has never happened btw).
Hamill has always been super friendly, Dal has time for everyone any time, Milney is great to me and reallly good with the youngsters and Bakes treats you like his best mate. we're lucky to have such a decent bunch of blokes, hopefully this year they deliver as much on the field as off the field :D

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Bakes is a top bloke, top bloke.

luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

Nick Dal Santo tops my list anyday.
He just has so many good qualities, and is really well spoken.
He goes out of his way to talk to ya, even though club officials and staff are saying, alrighty ya better get going.. But he goes out of his way to make everyone feel wanted.

Bakes is also a top bloke. Funny, cracks a joke, has a chat. top bloke.

And of course Robert Harvey. He just can't do anything wrong... great guy, awesome player, will have a chat andis incredibly humble.

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
HarveysDeciple

Brett Voss was always a great bloke to talk to.

Xavier also.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Nice blokes or a bit up themselves?

peter lockwood wrote:Not quite so nice in my opinion when i met them were the likes Smith,Max and Goddard.
When I met Goddard at training once he was pretty nice to me and asking me questions and stuff. He must have been in a good mood :)

Lenny and Dal were also pretty nice.
Last edited by LTN16 on Sat 17 Nov 2007 10:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

nabby7
Club Player

andrew mcdougall
is a mole.. im sorry lol

Dazvolt
Club Player

Have met Lenny a few times and he is a TOP bloke. Very polite and respectful, has always taken time to have a chat.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

met literally hundreds of st kilda footballers in my life time.......never met one i didn't like at the time.......including boofhead....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

When i went into the rooms after the first Bulldogs match, Milne was signing stuff for the kids before he had even got changed, this was about 35 minutes after the game.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i think they all go above and beyond

imagine how many random people they talk to every day, about the same thing over and over, maybe when they're in a hurry or bad mood, i know i would eventually just tell people to bugger off and let me get on with my business

of course there will be some bad meetings between player and fan, but it is more than understandable

as long as they're not on the front page of the paper, i'm happy :)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Generally speaking, I don't think footballers are really bothered about the fans. IMO there is a very small percentage of players who honestly enjoy associating with them.

Most aren't interested in any of the lives which revolve around the club. They're protected from it by both the club and their own exclusiveness. It's a high-pressure job and they have their own things to worry about like their own routines and their form.

In many ways they're cautious of supporters. Nobody knows the real them besides their friends, family, teammates and coaches. What we see of the players is just their public face, they keep their real personalities to themselves.

When things start to go wrong, supporters are always the first to suddenly turn against them and they're all fully aware of that fact.

Sainter
Club Player

when did Stewie and Annie separate?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

NICE PEOPLE or UP THEMSELVES? !!

If this thread was on Forumites, and not players we could have another 20 page thread on our hands :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: !!

1st Vote:

LukeL26 is a nice guy

Rogerwa is a great guy (He paid me to say that) :wink: !!
Last edited by Eastern on Sun 18 Nov 2007 1:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:NICE PEOPLE or UP THEMSELVES? !!

If this thread was on Forumites, and not players we could have another 20 page thread on our hands :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: !!

1st Vote:

LukeL26 is a nice guy !!
LennyBoy, HD, TTSF and gosaintsgo
all very nice people

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

HD ? Are you sure? Are we talking about the same person? :roll: :lol: :wink: !!