New idea for Priority Pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

New idea for Priority Pick

Here's a very simple change to the whole Priority Pick system.

Given Demetriou is reluctant to get rid of it, as he doesn't think tanking exists...(only he and KB think that way!), why not keep all the current rules, but for teams who earn a PP in Round 1 of the Draft (ie. win less than 20 points in 2 consecutive seasons), surrender their second round pick???

ie. Carlton would still get picks 1 and 3 this draft, but would lose pick 20

IMO this would still give a big leg up to crap sides, but a slightly lower advantage.

Giving any team 3 picks between 1 and 20 is way too much of a leg up.

If this idea had been implemented for this draft, perhaps Carlton would've had to give up more to secure Judd - ie. they'd have lost their number 1 pick to the Eagles, or would've had to on trade etc.if they wanted to only deal with pick 3, Kennedy and something else.

I personally want the PP in the first round to go completely, but if it must stay, at least this idea is watered down and easy for Demetriou to grapple with.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I like it, but Carlton are the only team I have ever seen tank... I'm sure others have done it, us included but Carlton are the only ones who I've really noticed...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'd still 'tank' - read: test out every Phillip Raymond on the list, put the weary bodies into surgery and rest the oldies.

Priority picks are extremely valuble because a) chances are the player will be very good, and b) 'tanking' is perhaps the ultimate pre-season development tool for players who need work.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I like it, but Carlton are the only team I have ever seen tank... I'm sure others have done it, us included but Carlton are the only ones who I've really noticed...
get real....the filth have admitted to tanking......well ,their former ceo now with the scummers said that the filth tanked...we have never....get that...never ,,,,tanked...don't even suggest that we have...we were simply not good enough...if we had tanked we would now have either salopek or wells on our list.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saint 58
Club Player

Get rid of the priority pick, straight - 1 to 16, 17 to 32, etc.
If it takes you an extra year or two to improve - tough S*** :!:

The father/son is OK now with the bidding system, should have the same thing for brother/brother, (and for all the smartasses out there, no cousin/cousin, uncle/nephew, etc).

The draft should be weighted, similar to the NBA comp in the US:

The 2007 NBA Draft Lottery decides picks one through 14 and the chances are below for each teams odds to receive the number one selection in the 2007 NBA Draft.

Chances
Team 1: 250 (last placed team)
Team 2: 199
Team 3: 156
Team 4: 119
Team 5: 88
Team 6: 63
Team 7: 43
Team 8: 28
Team 9: 17
Team 10: 11
Team 11: 8
Team 12: 7
Team 13: 6
Team 14: 5 (first placed team)

and finally - substancial cash incentives, the higher you finish the more cash you receive

No more tanking, far less boring games, no more supporters wanting to lose games.

and finally free agency for players, but ONLY after they have played 7, 8, ????, years at a club, and the old club must receive compensation from the new club, if no deal can be reached then an independent/unbiased person/group/committee gives the old club an adequate draft pick or picks from the new club. If the new club doesn't like it they have two choices, kill the deal, or take the player, lose the draft pick(s), and shut the F*** up. :D

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote:Get rid of the priority pick, straight - 1 to 16, 17 to 32, etc.
If it takes you an extra year or two to improve - tough S*** :!:

The father/son is OK now with the bidding system, should have the same thing for brother/brother, (and for all the smartasses out there, no cousin/cousin, uncle/nephew, etc).

The draft should be weighted, similar to the NBA comp in the US:

The 2007 NBA Draft Lottery decides picks one through 14 and the chances are below for each teams odds to receive the number one selection in the 2007 NBA Draft.

Chances
Team 1: 250 (last placed team)
Team 2: 199
Team 3: 156
Team 4: 119
Team 5: 88
Team 6: 63
Team 7: 43
Team 8: 28
Team 9: 17
Team 10: 11
Team 11: 8
Team 12: 7
Team 13: 6
Team 14: 5 (first placed team)

and finally - substancial cash incentives, the higher you finish the more cash you receive

No more tanking, far less boring games, no more supporters wanting to lose games.

and finally free agency for players, but ONLY after they have played 7, 8, ????, years at a club, and the old club must receive compensation from the new club, if no deal can be reached then an independent/unbiased person/group/committee gives the old club an adequate draft pick or picks from the new club. If the new club doesn't like it they have two choices, kill the deal, or take the player, lose the draft pick(s), and shut the F*** up. :D
you speak too much sense for dimwit to get it.

why not bury your head in the sand??

imagine the excitement of the lottery draw, would make for good TV and would be good for betting on also.

do they continue the lottery for the other first round draft picks?

ie. ie team in 10th spot gets the number one pick, do they remove all the remaining balls for the 10th team and continue on until all 14 teams have a pick in the first round of the draft?

I assume after the first round is sorted, then the natural order (14 to 1 or in our case 16 to 1) should decide the second round onwards.

Would add a whole new dimension and fun to the offseason!

Saint 58
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: do they continue the lottery for the other first round draft picks?

ie. ie team in 10th spot gets the number one pick, do they remove all the remaining balls for the 10th team and continue on until all 14 teams have a pick in the first round of the draft?

I assume after the first round is sorted, then the natural order (14 to 1 or in our case 16 to 1) should decide the second round onwards.

Would add a whole new dimension and fun to the offseason!
Correct, as each team is named, the remainder of their marbles are removed until the end of the 1st round. For Round 2 onwards, I think the 'natural order' then takes over but I'm not certain.

You're spot on I think, would be tense stuff to watch.

Anyone have Dimwits email :?: :?:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

cheers saint58....we are onto something for sure....yes, clubs could still tank to improve their odds of a better draft pick, but it does reduce the incentive massively IMHFO.

When would you hold the lottery?

Given trade week occurs the Monday week after the GF, I'd say you'd hold it on the Monday morning first thing straight after the GF.

Needs to be after the Granny, so all team's finishing positions are sorted.

Saint 58
Club Player

Yes, has to be after the GF to determine the weightings for the lottery, but I think before Trade Week, because you may change your plans, (who to trade and pick up), if you do well or get shafted in the lottery.