EBERT?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

S.A Saint
Club Player

EBERT?

eyy guys just want your opnions on this? Did you's think that we should go for ebert in the draft? looks like a ready made players and during the championships was already tagged by opposition players.
Any thoughts

stinger
Saintsational Legend

he would do fine...as would rioli or three or four others.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsrule
Club Player

he hasnt been delisted

S.A Saint
Club Player

thanks for that stinger

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Great name.

What sort of player is he?

S.A Saint
Club Player

Not ports one, his cousin that will be in the draft

saintsrule
Club Player

:oops: im stupdid

S.A Saint
Club Player

he can play everywhere. Midfiled in and under or outside, good buil can take a mark and has a very good brain. Im not sure how fast he is but im guessing more than ok. should go top 20, but i think deserves to be in the top 10.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

it really depends on what our team needs

i think we should go for a Ebert or Selwood type player so they can start playing as soon as possible

would like Rioli as he would add that Alwyn Davey x-factor but with the recruitment of Schneider it is more likely we will go for a midfielder than a small forward

a key defender for a the future would be nice but id rather take a punt for one of them later in the draft

a key forward, no need - we delisted watts for a reason (i hope) wouldnt mind re-drafting him late

ruckman - use a latter pick or rookie

S.A Saint
Club Player

Also on the topic on drafting. When can we find out what pick they will go for. one of my mates went in the draft by the name of jarred patrenko indigenous player, grew up with him. We should look to get him in one of our later picks, can play midfield or provide run of half back

sasaint
Club Player

If Ebert is still around at pick 9 I think we should pick him up but I expect he will be gone. Probably will have the choice between Rioli, Selwood and Rance and of these we should probably pickup Rance. It is very unusual for a drafted player to play at AFL standard in year one and Rance has more potential to fill a future hole when Max retires.

Bono
Club Player

Selwood is the worst of the 4 brothers. All the hype on him is because his 3 brothers play AFL. We would be absolutely crazy to daft him at #9. Have any of you people seen Selwood, Rance or Junior Rioli play!??!!?

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:Have any of you people seen Selwood, Rance or Junior Rioli play!??!!?
iv seen a fair bit of junior rioli

Beej
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
Bono wrote:Have any of you people seen Selwood, Rance or Junior Rioli play!??!!?
What's your opinion of him?

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
SaintBot wrote:
What's your opinion of him?
Two years ago he played as a half forward flanker. Showed that he had great goal sense and would often start a game out excellently but would often go quiet in the last quarter.

Last year he developed very nicely. Moved to the half back flank and showed his creativeness and pace off the backline. Whilst playing as an outside player he showed he is more than capable of playing from the bottom of a pack, his great explosive speed gets him out of tricky situations just nicely, not disimilar to David Rodan. Also began to tackle a lot more. Very good at chasing down players, similar to Allwyn Davey.

This year he started his first game with a bang, two goals in the first ten minutes of the first game of the season the 'Cordner-Eggleston' Cup (a huge annual game between Scotch College and Melbourne Grammar). However he injured his collarbone and had to sit out of the next few rounds. He came back very much as a small leading forward who had bursts up the ground. Showed that he is very capable at marking overhead and on a lead. Also proved to be deadly if the ball hit the ground as speed and smarts just out do his opponents.

Overall he has been very well developed, he has had experience in both the forward line, midfield and defence. I believe, especially in his early years, he will be a small forward who could move up the ground for short stints. He would be able to start playing league football by round 1 next season. He is very similar to Essendon's Alwyn Davey.

nicko016
Club Player

If Ebert slipped to #9 i'd grab hi in a second. But, I'm no expert and only really going on wha't Ive read. I'd be inclined to going for a midfielder but wouldn't be restricted to a midfielder. Assuming Cotchin is gone, I'd go for in order Ebert, Palmer and Masten. Ebert is the prototype for the modern power midfielder and sounds like he has good pace, good skills who is a long-kicking midfielder capable of kicking goals. Both Palmer and Masten are smaller midfielders but it sounds as if Palmer is a bit quicker and more classier than Masten. However, I wouldn't discount Alex Rance and would probably take him before Masten but after Ebert or Palmer. Some might think Rioli but after X. Clarke and R. Clarke not really living up to their potential i'd probably prefer to steer clear. Sometimes, the indiegenous players taken early seem to struggle a bit. Other examples include Tambling and Oakley-Nicholls. They don't get the opportunity to play in a TAC cup or a WAFL or SANFL but then again Rioli has been in Melbourne for the past few years.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:Selwood is the worst of the 4 brothers. All the hype on him is because his 3 brothers play AFL. We would be absolutely crazy to daft him at #9. Have any of you people seen Selwood, Rance or Junior Rioli play!??!!?
yeah...saw selwood play in the under18's grand final...played well early set his side up for the win.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Ebert sounds like the package but my concern revolves aroung his stated love of Port and a desire to play there. Would probably go for:

Rance
Palmer
Masten
Ebert
Rioli

in that order.

I'm assuming Kreuzer, Morton, Cotchin are 1, 2 and 3 so none of the above may be available.

Brian Collis
Club Player

Does Ebert have a good head on his shoulders or just a big one to fit that very good brain?

matty
Club Player

Brian Collis wrote:Does Ebert have a good head on his shoulders or just a big one to fit that very good brain?
he barricks for port lol so id say the later :P

Beej
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:Two years ago he played as a half forward flanker. Showed that he had great goal sense and would often start a game out excellently but would often go quiet in the last quarter.

Last year he developed very nicely. Moved to the half back flank and showed his creativeness and pace off the backline. Whilst playing as an outside player he showed he is more than capable of playing from the bottom of a pack, his great explosive speed gets him out of tricky situations just nicely, not disimilar to David Rodan. Also began to tackle a lot more. Very good at chasing down players, similar to Allwyn Davey.

This year he started his first game with a bang, two goals in the first ten minutes of the first game of the season the 'Cordner-Eggleston' Cup (a huge annual game between Scotch College and Melbourne Grammar). However he injured his collarbone and had to sit out of the next few rounds. He came back very much as a small leading forward who had bursts up the ground. Showed that he is very capable at marking overhead and on a lead. Also proved to be deadly if the ball hit the ground as speed and smarts just out do his opponents.

Overall he has been very well developed, he has had experience in both the forward line, midfield and defence. I believe, especially in his early years, he will be a small forward who could move up the ground for short stints. He would be able to start playing league football by round 1 next season. He is very similar to Essendon's Alwyn Davey.
Nice work, I do love a good player review I must say.

I haven't seen any of the kids from this years draft play, not one minute, but from everythinig I've read so far I've identified Ebert and now Rioli as guns. Ebert mainly because of his bloodline.

Mind you, last year I had Albert Proud and Nathan Djekurra down as formalities to become instant superstars.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Mind you, last year I had Albert Proud and Nathan Djekurra down as formalities to become instant superstars.
Djerrkura's an unlucky one. He got picked into a premiership side that even (virtual #1 pick) Tom Hawkins couldnt break into. He struggled with a soft-tissue leg issue for the first bit of the season and then like that Geelong were the premiership side that nobody could get a shot in. Unfourtantly i cant see him breaking into that Geelong side anytime soon and i hope he can get a trade at the end of next year so he can get better opportunities.

Megamaguire
Club Player

E B E R T v's R I O L I (?)

The speed, touch and accurate shooting of Rioli v's the power centre potential and long kicking of Ebert - what a choice! This may be our best chance of a genuine midfield force in the next 3 years and i'd find it hard to deviate from a midfield pick first. Next year we may be looking at pick 12 or 14 for instance as our first pick.
I don't expect Leigh Fischer to move successfully into the midfield, Gram may be most suited to staying on a HB flank and we could be putting too much expectation on young Armitage. A genuine midfield prospect gives us the best chance for significant centre depth and being right up there with high rotation oriented game plans.

It saddens me to think of Max succumbing to injuries and i know the brains trust have to think of replacing him too.

What a job!

G O S A I N T S

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: E B E R T v's R I O L I (?)

Megamaguire wrote:The speed, touch and accurate shooting of Rioli v's the power centre potential and long kicking of Ebert - what a choice! This may be our best chance of a genuine midfield force in the next 3 years and i'd find it hard to deviate from a midfield pick first. Next year we may be looking at pick 12 or 14 for instance as our first pick.
I don't expect Leigh Fischer to move successfully into the midfield, Gram may be most suited to staying on a HB flank and we could be putting too much expectation on young Armitage. A genuine midfield prospect gives us the best chance for significant centre depth and being right up there with high rotation oriented game plans.

It saddens me to think of Max succumbing to injuries and i know the brains trust have to think of replacing him too.

What a job!

G O S A I N T S
i think you have dempster to replace HB
opossibly put armitage in the centre along with gram. Gram is quick

Megamaguire
Club Player

1 pick @9 who and why

Saintly do you have any preferences for that first pick at 9. - wouldn't mind hearing why if so.

K E E P T R U C K I N S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.