jason heatley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

jason heatley

i remember how this man seemingly burst onto the scene in our grand final year...

what happened???

he only last until 2000....

was he part of timid tim's non-wanted clean-out???

or have i got my dates wrong

because 171 goals from 63 matches is not exactly bad...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

He was offered a lucrative deal selling fridges for Rick Hart, so moved back to Perth.

:wink:

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:He was offered a lucrative deal selling fridges for Rick Hart, so moved back to Perth.

so he went to freo??

cause this was around the time that i lost interest in following the saints due to

1. timid tim being coach - which even if my youth i figured wasn't a good thing

2. moving to qld where afl was considered...gayfl

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
Riewoldting wrote:He was offered a lucrative deal selling fridges for Rick Hart, so moved back to Perth.

so he went to freo??
No, Perth. Pay attention!
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:cause this was around the time that i lost interest in following the saints due to

Impressionable young fella, aren't ya? :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

so he went to freo??

cause this was around the time that i lost interest in following the saints due to

I think he got delisted and went to Tasmania to play VFL. Has since moved back to Vic and coached a few sides I think.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:

so he went to freo??
No, Perth. Pay attention!
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:cause this was around the time that i lost interest in following the saints due to

Impressionable young fella, aren't ya? :lol:
its a little hard going to an elite private school where its rugby-oriented....and following afl just didn't make sense....

so he played for perth in the wafl...

was he delisted or left or what???

please explain...cheers

ben_fff
Club Player

He played for Tassie in the VFL where he lead the goal kicking by a bit (I think he had about 40 goals or something around that mark at halfway) before getting injured and pulling the plug... at least that's my understanding.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

okay thank you

seems such a waste considering the way he burst onto the scene and nearly got us a to the flag....

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

No, he played for Subiaco in the WAFL.

When I say he went to "Perth", I mean the capital city of Western Australia, not the football club.

Sold whitegoods for Retravision, not Rick Hart. Both start with "R", both deal in electrical goods.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:okay thank you

seems such a waste considering the way he burst onto the scene and nearly got us a to the flag....
Bear in mind he was 25 when he came to the Saints .. only averaged two goals a game under Timid and at 28, was not considered part of the future and was part of a cleanout of a spoon-winning club.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:

Bear in mind he was 25 when he came to the Saints .. only averaged two goals a game under Timid and at 28, was not considered part of the future and was part of a cleanout of a spoon-winning club.
i knew he was a mature age recruit...however why did it take that long for him to be discovered???

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Three seasons sitting on the West Coast list, that's what led to him being a mature age recruit.

Kicked 111 for North Heidelberg in Diamond Valley League at 20
Kicked 118 for Subiaco in WAFL at 21
Drafted at pick 43 by West Coast at 21
Kicked 75 for Subiaco in WAFL at 22
Kicked 123 for Subiaco in WAFL at 23
Kicked 55 for Subiaco in WAFL at 24
Delisted by West Coast at 24
Drafted by St Kilda at 25
Kicked 73 for St Kilda at 25

Three games in three seasons for eight goals at West Coast.

Pretty tough to break into the West Coast side in 1994, but three games in three seasons is a bit rough.

Still better than Barry Brooks :roll:

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:Three seasons sitting on the West Coast list, that's what led to him being a mature age recruit.

Kicked 111 for North Heidelberg in Diamond Valley League at 20
Kicked 118 for Subiaco in WAFL at 21
Drafted at pick 43 by West Coast at 21
Kicked 75 for Subiaco in WAFL at 22
Kicked 123 for Subiaco in WAFL at 23
Kicked 55 for Subiaco in WAFL at 24
Delisted by West Coast at 24
Drafted by St Kilda at 25
Kicked 73 for St Kilda at 25

Three games in three seasons for eight goals at West Coast.

Pretty tough to break into the West Coast side in 1994, but three games in three seasons is a bit rough.

Still better than Barry Brooks :roll:

this is true considering they had langdon and sumich as key forwards...and someone else from memory that wasn't too bad

with this in mind and his dominant performances in the walf...surely the eagles could have traded him...oh well

Snakeman66
Club Player

Riewoldting wrote:

i knew he was a mature age recruit...however why did it take that long for him to be discovered???
Drafted by West Coke 1993. Played 3 games(8 goals) in 1995 & 1996.

Played 60 games for St Kilda(1997-2000) for 163 goals(76 points).
(20 games 1997 for 73 goals)

Thought he might have played down Warrnambool way.

Originally from Heidelberg(DVFL)?

Born 21/2/1972

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
Snakeman66
Club Player

this is true considering they had langdon and sumich as key forwards...and someone else from memory that wasn't too bad
Mitchell White & Jason Ball

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Apparently left the Saints to take up a lucrative modelling contract.

Is now advising Cameron Ling on deportment and on using the right facial products to achieve the most glowing results.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Yes, as someone said he was 28 in 2000, and Watson did not consider him part of our future ...

Was never really able to hold down a key forward position without support - he was terrific in the '97 team with Hall and Loewe around him, but struggled when he was on his own.

Would have been the perfect half-forward flanker in our current team - fast on a lead and a good mark.

Absolute dead-eye in front of goal too.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

No, I believe the player SP2006 had in mind was Brett Heady.

Langdon was pretty much done by this stage.

They also had a big wingman who could kick a goal ... Fraser somebody

Scoop
Club Player

Heaters coached Wantirna South in the Eastern Football League for the last couple of years.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Heater was fantastic. He was great to watch.
You'll never see a footy come straighter off the boot than when Jason was shooting for goal. He could fairly roost a Sherrin.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
hotdish
Club Player

Don't know about 'not holding a key position down' - he was our Full Foward, and mainly got his goals from a quick lead.

Was one of the best shots for goal accuracy wise I have ever seen - always felt safe with the ball in his hands, would consistently get them from 50+m out.

Really he career ended from too many Quad injuries and probably too much piss...

Went to Tassie for 2 years...

Last I heard he was coaching a team in Victoria, but he got suspended for heaps of games for abusing an umpire and had to coach from his car - wasn't alowed near the team on gameday or something.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Coached Warrnambool for a year and was suspened for swearing at an umpire. Left the year after.

Reasons he didn't make it long-term in the AFL were his terrible attitude and 0 defensive pressure. Could only play FF.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Top work Heater :lol:

I love this bit:

After suffering a 50-metre penalty for his initial remark, Heatley was penalised another 50 metres for the second remark. Davey told the tribunal that when he challenged Heatley about calling him a "f...ing disgrace", Heatley said to him: "You are; I can't get a 50 for telling the truth."

:lol: :lol:

Hiccups for Heatley
by PAUL DAFFEY

AT Warrnambool, players and supporters were strong in their support of Grant Thomas during the troubled early period of his coaching reign at St Kilda. Their memories of Thomas coaching their own club to four consecutive Hampden league premierships from 1986 to 1989 ensured their belief that he would succeed at Moorabbin.

Fourteen years after Thomas left Warrnambool following the 1990 season, his legacy has arisen again. Former St Kilda forward Jason Heatley, whose 73 goals in 1997 snared the Saints' goalkicking award in a grand final year, was appointed coach after being recommended by Thomas.

Warrnambool president Alan Ryan acknowledged that his coup in snaring Heatley continued the Blues' practice of appointing playing-coaches with league experience. "We've always been conscious of working towards a profile," Ryan said.

With Heatley, that profile can only receive a boost. In the opening month of the season, the 32-year-old has attracted more headlines than most Hampden league coaches would attract over several months. Not only was he forced to watch the opening two games from his car, this week he earned his club a $1000 fine for abusive language towards an umpire.

Heatley missed the opening two games because of a suspension he incurred when playing for Tasmania in a VFL preliminary final last year. His two matches for striking and two matches for charging took in the opening fortnight of the VFL season before overlapping into the Hampden league season.

Under the rules, Heatley was barred from coaching as well as playing. He left his car at half-time to go into the rooms but, in keeping with rules preventing any coaching role, he resisted talking to his players.

Nor were supporters able to talk to players; assistant coach Craig Deckert spoke to the Warrnambool team behind closed doors. Twice this season, supporters have been locked out of the Warrnambool rooms at half-time, sparking grumbles from a handful of supporters.

Heatley yesterday was reluctant to comment on the lockouts, other than to say it was not unusual for a coach to want to talk to his players in private. Nor was he fussed about commenting on the fine handed down by the Hampden league tribunal. "Once I walked out, I put it to bed," he said.

A report this week in The Standard, Warrnambool's daily newspaper, described last Saturday's incident in which Heatley called umpire Daryl Davey a "f...ing idiot" and a "f...ing disgrace" early in the last quarter of the match against Koroit.

Heatley told the tribunal he had approached Davey at three-quarter time to question several inconsistencies. His outbursts were made following a free kick in the Koroit forward line soon afterwards.

After suffering a 50-metre penalty for his initial remark, Heatley was penalised another 50 metres for the second remark. Davey told the tribunal that when he challenged Heatley about calling him a "f...ing disgrace", Heatley said to him: "You are; I can't get a 50 for telling the truth."

The $1000 fine is believed to be unprecedented in country football in western Victoria. Warrnambool has ensured the league it will pay the fine before today's match at Bushfield against North Warrnambool, enabling Heatley to take the field.

In his two matches since returning from suspension, Heatley has kicked nine goals. His team has three wins and a loss, leaving it outside the top five.

Under Heatley's predecessor, former Richmond defender Scott Turner, the Blues won premierships in 2001 and 2002 before suffering an exodus of players last year and slipping to sixth. Given Warrnambool's exceptional record of success over the past 70 years, the club is unlikely to remain in such a lowly position for long.

Heatley hopes to get over his hiccups and guide the Blues back up the ladder. Kicking a bag and staying out of trouble today would prove a handy step towards achieving this aim.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Great article riewoldting...cheers.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:No, I believe the player SP2006 had in mind was Brett Heady.

Langdon was pretty much done by this stage.

They also had a big wingman who could kick a goal ... Fraser somebody
i know langdon only play 100 or so games however the eagles seemingly had tall option after tall option

i.e ball and white

i was not thinking of heady as from memory didnt he play either forward pocket/back pocket...

i was thinking of tall options not small like....jobbie hehehe