Another opportunity we missed.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

Another opportunity we missed.....

We at one time had the front running for this night. An ideal arrangement would have been with Geelong, a new rival.....or even carlton.....but we have yet again lost out of revenue/marketing opportunities...
:roll:
---------------------
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/g ... 97598.html

A BLOCKBUSTER grudge match between traditional rivals Carlton and Richmond has emerged as the most likely clash for the new Good Friday twilight time slot that appears likely to join the AFL's schedule next year.

The big-drawing clubs have long been searching for an appropriate day to establish a blockbuster and the AFL is understood to be amenable to the idea of launching into the once sacrosanct time slot with a match that could best capitalise on the public holiday with a big crowd.

The most recent push to play on Good Friday was put to the AFL by Carlton and Hawthorn, but it is understood a renewed proposal by Richmond that has met Carlton's approval may have overtaken the Hawks' involvement.

Despite finishing this season as the two bottom sides, Carlton and Richmond have often drawn large crowds and both clubs believe they could stage a match that could generate an enormous following. The AFL Commission is still yet to consider the first and most important decision of whether to agree to playing football on the one day of the football year it has traditionally avoided.

But AFL executive Gillon McLachlan, who is in charge of the draw, has stated his preference to begin playing on Good Friday and he is understood to have the support of commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick.

Should the commission agree to play on the religious holiday, it would almost certainly involve Carlton. As the renewed push to play on Good Friday had come from Carlton, it is understood the league would be persuaded by Carlton's choice of opponent. The Age understands it is Carlton's preference to play Richmond.

The AFL, which has just completed its first draft of the draw for next year, is understood to have pencilled in the pair for Good Friday pending the commission's approval.

The scheduling plans will begin in earnest for next year once the grand final is completed. A grand final rematch between Geelong and Port Adelaide will likely feature in round one, which next year falls on the Easter weekend.

"We have to get over the line of playing on Good Friday yet before we worry about which teams would play," McLachlan said of the possible Blues-Tigers clash.

"I can confirm that Richmond has put in a proposal as well and I can confirm they propose to play Carlton, but it is premature to say which teams would play on that day as yet."

Hawthorn would be expected to be extremely unhappy should the AFL choose to schedule Richmond for the match against Carlton.

The game would likely be linked with the Royal Children's Hospital appeal.

------------

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Don't think it is an oppotunity WE missed

it is an opportunity not given

Biggest drawing clubs in AFL view

Ess and Coll ------Anzac day

Rich and Carl.........Good Friday night

Have been the considered the big 4 supporter wise

saint4life
kaos theory
Club Player

no chook -

The demons have the queens birthday clash with the pies. The dees are hardly a big club, one of the smallest supporter bases in the country. Its a matter of how you present & market the day. If we roll over an accept the status quo (ie. myth of big-4), then why bother trying to do anything to grow our club?

We have shown clearly over the last few yrs we can attract a huge audiences. If I was neutral supporter a saints v cats game will be more interesting than a rich v carlton game....

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Wow and I thought Rod Butters was the AFL's golden haired boy according to THE BIG LIE theory (thanks for that MM)?

So if he is in bed with Demetriou why did we miss out.

Another lie bites the dust.....
Another lie bites the dust.....
And another ones down
And another ones down
Another lie bites the dust.........

Please at least be consistant with you pro Wasteaway propoganda :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

good.....glad we missed out.......we should not be playing on good friday...the one day of the year during the footy season when the lure of the filthy dollar should not hold sway......i never miss a match...but would never go to the footy on good friday...and i am not particularly religious...as some of you might have guesses...this is still a christian country.......never wish bad things to happen to anyone ...but no good can come of playing on this day.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kaos theory
Club Player

one thing clear about your posts lately JB - they are all garbage.

Somehow, you have placed yourself above us all, and keep telling us how stupid, gullible, etc. we are....

I've yet to read anything resembling intelligence coming from your posts.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

For those a bit older st kilda under andrew plymton pioneered twilight games as st kilda tried to carve a niche out give we didn't have friday night or saturday night games.

the twilight games in the mid to late 90s were agreed by teh AFL and saw an increase in attendance although it did bring criticisms, and a market niche for televised games.

since then that niche has been farmed out to other clubs.

butterss raised the issue of good friday games years ago.

also the famous 'spooning' of carlton is now attributed to collingwood thanks to a campaign by eddie but the reality is, the spooning of ponces park was thought up here but better brains than me and became a phenomena in the AFL now.

st kilda has proven that even when moderately successful we are a attractive club to follow (although our style in 07 have had the punters gasping with its boringness) with a substantial latent supporter base and a good followinig for TV crowds.

we were shafted/forced out of moorabin, we were told we weren't wanted at the MCG so hawthorn treated us with some respect at arctic park (definately better than any deal we would have got from those asswipes at ponces park).

ch7 and AFL then decided to shut down AFL park, hawks offered to buy it for the original asking price of $10m, the AFL jacked up the price to $20, the hawks said yes, the AFL then jacked it up to $40m, the hawks said yes, so the AFL jacked it up again to $80 m.

we were again told by the MCG we were not wanted and would never be wanted there, so we had a choice of ponces park (as if) or TD. Ian collins shafted us knowing we had no choice and the AFL guaranteed our take to 30k people so we would break even on gate. despite Waverley having a BEP of 13k people, and pretty much everythiing else was profit. TD you NEEDED 30k people to break even.

Plympton at this stage I think was emotionally exhausted. two forced changes of venue, the failure of the 97 and 98 campaigns and timmid being proven to be a complete and utter fraud. Plymton gave his all to st kilda and i thin was spent at this time and RB/BW/GT offered to come in an take the reigns.

RB fought collins all the way with no help from the AFL and eventually wrung out a better deal for us, given collo had us barrelled. we tried to pursue the saturday night saints policy of plympton but the AFL refused to play ball now realising this niche was becoming quite valualbe and put it back into the market for anyone who wanted it.

we seemed to pursue a sunday saints policy which again grew our market but that may have coincided with the rise of the saints on field form as well, but i think the last couple of years we have no niche but in the general programming schedule.

IMO the 400k we got from teh taswegians was valuable but we said no thanks for that.

however the AFL has its own agenda to follow and giving st kilda credit for anything is not in its interests.

this isn't about butterss or westaway, this is about st kilda forcing and carving its own.

Butterss has worked very hard for st kilda and I am sure westaway will do so as well. but the AFL is interested in controlling st kilda as it does freo, north and a couple of other clubs.

(note carltons 2.2m handout from the AFL in 07). St kilda has generally been outside the influence of demetriou and the AFL with such issues as whispers in the sky and dubious scheduling of our games. Butterss has been imo moving us into the sphere of influence which dimwit would like.

I think westaway will strive for a more independant st kilda which has its benefits and problems.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Don't think it is an oppotunity WE missed

it is an opportunity not given

That was my main point.

it smacked of let's blame the club.......

saint4life
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:good.....glad we missed out.......we should not be playing on good friday...the one day of the year during the footy season when the lure of the filthy dollar should not hold sway......i never miss a match...but would never go to the footy on good friday...and i am not particularly religious...as some of you might have guesses...this is still a christian country.......never wish bad things to happen to anyone ...but no good can come of playing on this day.....
Stinger you're entitled to your opinion of course but that doesn't make you right. We are a secular country, and folks can make choices for themselves. Good Friday is a holy day for Christians only; there are a myriad of other religions in this country, and plenty of folks who have none at all, and it seems churlish to me to impose the beliefs of one over all the rest. If footy is not your thing on Good Friday then vote with your feet and don't attend; but others may well wish to, and I'd tip a decent crowd would in fact attend to a game on GF.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

errr cough Mike Fitzpatrick cough splutter

Carlton will get a dream run with most things from now on, they are the AFL's new love child

Mike Fitzpatrick is now a clandestine operator for all things Carlton under the guise of being a so called AFL commissioner :roll:

What Carlton want, Carlton will get, just watch and see

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:errr cough Mike Fitzpatrick cough splutter

Carlton will get a dream run with most things from now on, they are the AFL's new love child

Mike Fitzpatrick is now a clandestine operator for all things Carlton under the guise of being a so called AFL commissioner :roll:

***Re-reads post 6 times, as there MUST be some reference in it somewhere to being GT's fault??*** 8-) 8-) :wink: :wink:

Pft..Big 4..bollocks!!!!!

Can someone do a crowd numbers comparison of us vs Carlton or Richmond over the last 10 years. I'd back us very confidently

The "Big 4" is a throwback to the era of 12 Victorian CLubs and 6 games on Saturday afternoon. Completely and utterly irrelevant in a National competition

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:one thing clear about your posts lately JB - they are all garbage.

Somehow, you have placed yourself above us all, and keep telling us how stupid, gullible, etc. we are....

I've yet to read anything resembling intelligence coming from your posts.
Just keep the cheersquad going, no matter what the inconsistancies and hypocricies are :roll:

Oh and dont forget to attack the poster who points this out.

The Westaway baying mob and their gutter tactics are exposed for all to see.

You dont like the mirror being held up to you and evangelical like zealotry do you mate?

Oh well get used to it. I see blatant hypocricy and i expose it.

Dont like it? Tough titties. :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:errr cough Mike Fitzpatrick cough splutter

Another one for the Big Lie thread?

That Big Lie thread is going become the most popular thread on this site!! :lol:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
stinger wrote:good.....glad we missed out.......we should not be playing on good friday...the one day of the year during the footy season when the lure of the filthy dollar should not hold sway......i never miss a match...but would never go to the footy on good friday...and i am not particularly religious...as some of you might have guesses...this is still a christian country.......never wish bad things to happen to anyone ...but no good can come of playing on this day.....
Stinger you're entitled to your opinion of course but that doesn't make you right. We are a secular country, and folks can make choices for themselves. Good Friday is a holy day for Christians only; there are a myriad of other religions in this country, and plenty of folks who have none at all, and it seems churlish to me to impose the beliefs of one over all the rest. If footy is not your thing on Good Friday then vote with your feet and don't attend; but others may well wish to, and I'd tip a decent crowd would in fact attend to a game on GF.
the majority of pple in this country still call themselves christians....

...but then if you want to go the whole hog...then cancel the easter holidays ..and the christmas break.....we still celebrate this holy days in this country...or am i only imagining it.....

..anyway ..all i said was i wouldn't go.. it's not right....and up until now it never was.....

of course you would get a decent crowd.......you'd get a decent crowd at a public hanging too, i would be willing to wager.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Liam_G
Club Player

So this Richmond vs Carlton match would also have to be the season opener? Unless they have a match Thursday night also?

Good Friday falls on March 21st next year, one week earlier than Round 1 2007. So the season in 2008 will be starting a week earlier.