Our drafting over recent times

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ben_fff
Club Player

Our drafting over recent times

Question: Do you think our drafting has been horrible or is it more our lack of facilities and staff to aid our development of youngsters.

If you look at clubs like Weagles, Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn, Adelaide even Collingwood, they take late picks and turn them into decent players, our second stringers really struggle, where as these other clubs have players who can step up and contribute, too many times this year we've had a guy come in like Raph, Gwilt or CJ who have just been a extra person on the bench.

Excluding our early picks noone else has really stepped into the side, just off the top of my head Maguire and Dal would be the latest picks out of that age group of players.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
ben_fff
Club Player

:oops:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I believe we also did well with Sam Gilbert. Last years picks may still end up alright (I hope). This year we need to pick up players to fill future weaknesses, like the retirement of Max and Harvs, a future ruckman, etc. Not the best available. We need to put more thought into our selections than that.

SaintWal
Club Player

I don't think our draft picks have been all that bad.

Sam Fish, Leigh Fish, Joey and others have not been first round.

Generally your first round picks are the foundations which you can build a team.

Saints were very lucky with Roo, Kosi, BJ, Ball, and Dal being high end draft picks all very close in age to become the nucleus of this side. It is then a matter of getting a few second or third round picks to be 100 plus game players and you are close to being where you want to go.

On the other hand I think that clubs such as Port and other Interstate clubs are always one step ahead, ie picking great rookie players and now picking hidden talent at the bottom end of the draft.

But they alas have plenty of money to spend on their footy departments.