Saints to move haloes for a new star - The Australian

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If Judd's like long dream is to become a Logistics Manager we may have a chance....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:If Judd's like long dream is to become a Logistics Manager we may have a chance....
or a waiter at Telstra Dome? :)

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

P.S. I am in favour of all the arguments for not bidding for Judd.

But watch out for what happens: I reckon this mob might do anything bar trade Riewoldt for Judd. They are desperate to hang onto their jobs, and may well see getting Judd to the club as the key to maintaining the support of the members.

It's a bit like Howard with his crazy stuff like taking over the Northern Territory, Mersey hospital, the Murray-Darling and - you heard it here first - the upper Muckinup cake competition.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bungiton
SS Life Member

Kenny Sheldon trying to ensure he has a job come 2008? anyone?

The man is an out and out champion, or was. Look at his last game, are we going to disillusion our entire playing group, who have stayed despite better offers to offer their mates and all their money they have sacrificed to get Judd, only to have him play bitparts in a forward pocket?

Goose has all the attributes to be a great CHB, and linchpin of our defense for the next ten years, X is capable of turning games but has been off the boil, i would rather a great spread of capable players playing at their best than go all out to attract a champion that may or not be past his best.

The saints of old had some out and out champs, still do really but it never got us a flag.

The judd saga is an issue the saints should avoid, who needs Judd, wherever he ends up, we still have Stevie Baker

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:The judd saga is an issue the saints should avoid, who needs Judd, wherever he ends up, we still have Stevie Baker
If he is rostered on for that weekend by the AFL tribunal.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
wasoncestkil58
Club Player

To get Judd to the Saints is as likely as the G-Train pulling the boots back on and returning to the Eagles.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Judd will return and he will get his pace back. I've got absolutely no doubt about it.

My offer? Pick 9 + Goddard, who the Eagles on-trade to Carlton for Pick 3.

3 + 9 would go extremely close to securing the deal. We may even need to add another 2nd round pick.

I believe Chris Judd is the most talented footballer in Australia. Sure, he's got some question marks hanging over him, but so does nearly every player in the whole competition.

Having him at St Kilda would be biggest recruting coup since Ron Barassi leaving Melbourne.

Quite simply, we must move heaven and earth to make him a Saint.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I'm thinking keep X, trade Joey or Goose. and Pick 9.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:P.S. I am in favour of all the arguments for not bidding for Judd.

But watch out for what happens: I reckon this mob might do anything bar trade Riewoldt for Judd. They are desperate to hang onto their jobs, and may well see getting Judd to the club as the key to maintaining the support of the members.

It's a bit like Howard with his crazy stuff like taking over the Northern Territory, Mersey hospital, the Murray-Darling and - you heard it here first - the upper Muckinup cake competition.
Yep..its called electioneering!!

The really annoying thing to me is that if RB and Co think that jetting Judd will secure their future, then they are assuming that all Saints supporters are mindless sheep.

Admittedly we of SS are the intelligentsia of Saints fans 8-) but surely the arguments against the idea proposed here have been thought of beyond the world of SS??

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
BelfastSaint
Club Player

I'm thinking that for us to be a chance we have to give WC draft picks ...that means trading players to other clubs for the draft picks that WC really desire .......

JeffDunne

meher baba wrote:
bungiton wrote:The judd saga is an issue the saints should avoid, who needs Judd, wherever he ends up, we still have Stevie Baker
If he is rostered on for that weekend by the AFL tribunal.
I laughed at Billy Brownless' comment this morning that we should have Baker waiting for him at the airport with a 'Chris Judd' sign.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Judd will return and he will get his pace back. I've got absolutely no doubt about it.

I am not that sure that the Blues will be wnating to be so helpful....when they clearly wnat Judd themselves.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

BelfastSaint wrote:Someone posted a few days ago that he observed Chris Judd having a quite drink with Luke Ball and Matt Maguire at the Champagne bar in the city a week or two ago ..
Can't find that thread now and was wondering if it was BS or perhaps an indication that the Saints may actually be under consideration from Judd....
Seeing Judd having a drink with Ball means nada. They played juniors together for Sandy (that must have been some midfield!), and it's already known that they've chatted about the trills and spills of dodgy groins, a more recent ailment.

I'm sure Judd would consider St. Kilda, it would suit his agenda. The question is whether the Saints can afford to be part of the sweepstakes.

I think not, but when a talent of that ilk is available, you've certainly got to dot the i's and cross the t's. Guys under 25 who already have a brownlow, norm smith and premiership to their name don't become available every day.

All bets and plans would be off, and nobody would be untouchable when talking Chris Judd. I don't think we'll be able to afford him myself, I think those saying Joey/Goose + pick 9 are underestimating what a player that half the league will be chasing will command...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
rexy
SS Life Member

Whilst I dont think we should trade our heart and sole away for Judd, I do beleive that we would be negligent not to talk to Judds management and work out if we would be likely to be able to do a deal without harming the morale and future of our list.

Whilst he is obviously a lot younger and in a better stage of his career, it is not unlike the Aka situation of last year. That is the player wants out and will basically name a club and ask the two parties to come to terms. This obviously plays in to his new clubs hands somewhat. Obviously his value will be very high but maybe not quite as high as the Eagles would hope.

Definately crunch the numbers and throw up the scenarios, just dont do anything silly. IMO the process will take to long to seriously effect the board outcome anyway.

Maybe this year?
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Judd will return and he will get his pace back. I've got absolutely no doubt about it.

3 + 9 would go extremely close to securing the deal. We may even need to add another 2nd round pick.

I believe Chris Judd is the most talented footballer in Australia. Sure, he's got some question marks hanging over him, but so does nearly every player in the whole competition.

Why would WCE take a bloke coming off a knee reco who was slow to begin with? Why would Carlton want another slow bloke with a dodgey knee. Walker fills that rolle beautifully for them.

Really this frenzy for Judd is a bit silly.

At his best he is outstanding and the best footballer in Australia. But he wont be at his best until 2009 if he has no preseason and is still hampered by his groin.

Again it smacks of the St.Kilda supporter and its famed desperation and messiah complex.

Judd would be nice but not at the asking price.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
JeffDunne

Maybe WC would be interested if Baker was part of the deal?

At least they'd be guaranteed of not being towelled up by him whenever his new club plays them.
Last edited by JeffDunne on Tue 18 Sep 2007 11:34am, edited 1 time in total.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I REALLY like Brendon Goddard and Joey Montagna. I would be VERY disappointed if they are traded. I think either of them (or possibly both) could be GREAT players. I was actually surprised that Montagna did not get into the All Australian squad this year. He has been a great midfielder for us this year, up there with Dal, and arguably even better. I think Joey is a vital part of our future midfield, for many years to come.

And Brendon Goddard's long precision kicks are game breakers - they break the flood which is so common, and such a blight on the game. Once he was gone from our side, we lost a major part of our game plan in defeating the flood - his direct kicking to target was sorely missed.

I just wouldn't trade BJ or Joey, no way. Too important to our team.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Maybe WC would be interested if Baker was part of the deal?

At least they'd be guaranteed of not being towelled up by him whenever his new club plays them.
Good point. And Bakes would get a free hit every game and not get pinged because he would be playing for an interstate team.

Good for all parties.

Nice lateral thinking JD. :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
osama milne laden
Club Player

>>>>"We are already looking at what we can do to get Judd to St Kilda. We have made him a priority. I think we can make a very attractive deal to West Coast," Sheldon said.

if this is true, i'm terrified at what sheldon might do

>>>Don't get too excited folks. This is Ken Sheldon handling it, remember.
I suppose he'll fax a list of just about every player in our top twenty and tell the Eagles to choose whatever they want.

i believe you are harking back to kenny's wonderful work at the end of 91 when he told sydney (and our players) that any players bar winmar, lockett, frawley, mcadam, loewe, harvey and grant could be traded for williams

kenny followed this up the next year by trying to flog the swans david grant and a host of others for mitchell - and then off-loaded daniels to sydney for basically a nothing pick, then re-drafted newport with that pick

it didn't matter we missed out on mitchell in 93 - kenny managed to pick up edgar, aitken and arceri to name but a few to add to wilson, clark and antrobus

'What do we eat? -Mussles
How do we eat 'em? - Alive'
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Imagine if we could get him for pick 9.

WOW.

Membership would be over 40,000......

An everyone would have a new favourite player.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:Imagine if we could get him for pick 9.

WOW.

I don't rekon we can get judd for just pick 9 mate

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:

WOW.

See the word "imagine" at the beginning of the post.

I was trying to highlight that possibility of obtaining Judd for just about nothing. A world where St.kilda supporters wouldnt be divided on losing one of our players.

But thanks for clearing that up. I would never have guess that the best player in the AFL was worth more than just pick 9.

Cheers.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
homework wrote:

WOW.

See the word "imagine" at the beginning of the post.

I was trying to highlight that possibility of obtaining Judd for just about nothing. A world where St.kilda supporters wouldnt be divided on losing one of our players.

But thanks for clearing that up. I would never have guess that the best player in the AFL was worth more than just pick 9.

Cheers.
Sweet mate :D

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The wild card in this debate is the man himself.

If Judd nominates the Saints as his preferred team, then West Coast are almost compelled to take a reasonable offer for him.

That reasonable offer might just be pick 9 alone.

Judd (and the club of his choice) hold all the aces in this game.

The one thing that West Coast would not want Judd to do is nominate Richmond as his club of choice. Given the Tigers have first crack in the pre-season draft, the Eagles could end up with nothing but memories for their trouble.

saintlee
Club Player

That reasonable offer might just be pick 9 alone.
Pick 9 alone for Judd, surely you jest??

They will want a damn sight more than that!