Where's the 'Lyon Toughness'??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where's the 'Lyon Toughness'??

markp wrote: You commented in your very own report about the defensive players now obviously being drilled to punch the ball away as a first instinct... or was that part of their natural game all along?

What about all the other (now famous) defensive pressure we apply?

How were the board more concerned about the bottom line than what was going on on the field?....

Which part of that statement is 110% spot on?
Sigh.

And here we go again. Posters just sitting waiting to nitpick at yet another RodgerFox sentence.

But anyway, I'll respond...

Punching the ball as a defender, is quite obviously a skill that can be taught. In a marking contest, you do get time to think. Therefore, you can actually make a judgement call to mark or punch.

As a midfielder, you don't get that time to consider 'should I tackle this bloke or back off and corale him? Should I dive on that ball or wait for my man to get it then tackle him?' etc. etc. etc.

As a midfielder, forward or defender in general play, if you hesitate for a split second you will be second to the ball and aren't going at 110%.

Your intensity drops if you think about it too much - or thin about it at all.

Now, our forwards don't zone off up on the wing when our opponents get the ball. They do what comes naturally to any footballer and they attack the bloke with the nut. Hey presto! Forward defensive pressure!!

I still believe, that our intensity and tackling at the moment is because we're fit. We're healthy and have all our good players on the park.

I also don't understand why people think we were a poor defensive team in the past. The scores against us suggest we were very good defensively - and that was without Hayes and Ball in the team.

As for the Board being more worried about their bottom line, I absolutely stand by that. They were. And I would think that even the most argumentative person against me could now see what a Board who is prepared to spend on footy at the expense of their own financial scorecard can add to the footy club.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

As for the Board being more worried about their bottom line, I absolutely stand by that. They were. And I would think that even the most argumentative person against me could now see what a Board who is prepared to spend on footy at the expense of their own financial scorecard can add to the footy club.
Before you re-write history with a subltle twist & spin ...do remember that the previous Board either did or set in motion the hiring our our current Player Conditioning and Fitness Management Staff, The NSW Development Coach, restructuring of the Fooball Department with extra staff...as well as restructuting of the Football recruitment Department with expanded resources anda replacement to JB.

Clinto Jones for example was found asa result of the extra funding being put into talent identification in the West.

Footy First had added to this...but they did not commence it or even put in place any major additions to what was already happening.

Also do remember that the previous Board also wanted to hire Drain a good 12 months eralier than GT was dispatched.

now it is fully legfitmate to havea go at Butters and Co for in the end losing the plot on the PR frnt and in geeting involved in in-fighting.

However finacially the previous Board did what needed to be done or there most likely would not be a St KFC today.

They took over a basket case in dire finacial straights.

They turned this around..and when finace started to alow it they started to spend more.

One could suggest that perhaps that hey could have ramped things up quicker..but to basically accuse them of only being worried about a supposed "financial scorecard' is unjust and just complete rubbish.

For example...if this was so about a financial scorecard, how would that Board have hired Blight on a $million salary????

No it is clearly not the case and you claim is clearly just complete bunkem.

Blight was hired because despite the HUGE cost..he was considered to be the best person to secure success for the Saints.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
One could suggest that perhaps that hey could have ramped things up quicker..but to basically accuse them of only being worried about a suposed "financial scorecard' is unjust and just complete rubbish.
I totally disagree.
saintsRrising wrote: For example...if this was so would that Board have hired Blight on a $million salary????
If you did your homework you'd find out that inclusive of the $1m Blight was paid, our coaching panel was still in the bottom 6 of the comp.

Blight himself was expensive, but the overall cost of the coaching panel was in the bottom 6 of the comp.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Animal Enclosure wrote: The practice of corralling an opposition player has the same effect...it just gives players more time to sum up where to kick or handpass to... the really good teams come at you & don't give you a split second to think. No wonder our tackle count is down.
I'm not sure if I'm in the 'back pedalling' brigade but my point from 2007 seems to be reflected in the current 'frontal pressure' phenomenon!

I am happy to say that I was very unsure about Lyon but am now an unabashed fan. I hope I can say the same thing come the first of October (or thereabouts).

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
One could suggest that perhaps that hey could have ramped things up quicker..but to basically accuse them of only being worried about a suposed "financial scorecard' is unjust and just complete rubbish.
I totally disagree.
saintsRrising wrote: For example...if this was so would that Board have hired Blight on a $million salary????
If you did your homework you'd find out that inclusive of the $1m Blight was paid, our coaching panel was still in the bottom 6 of the comp.

Blight himself was expensive, but the overall cost of the coaching panel was in the bottom 6 of the comp.

Ah..another distraction.

Yes we ALL know that our income was low..

But you have stated that the Board was only concerned with a financial scorecard.

They could have easily paid less for their coaching Department.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
I totally disagree.

Ah..another distraction.

Yes we ALL know that our income was low..

But you have stated that the Board was only concerned with a financial scorecard.

They could have easily paid less for their coaching Department.
At that point, the Board was very much doing a fine job.

They did for the first 3 or so years.

It went pear shaped when they were more concerned with bragging to the world about their consecutive million dollar profits than the club being in a position to win footy matches.

I've never felt, said or thought that the Board didn't start very well. They just lost the plot over time.

kaos theory
Club Player

SR & Roger -

The previous board had put some changes in place, e.g. new coach and desire to hire some other support people, but it was still fundamentally rudderless in the way it ran the footy department. RB was still too focused on wars with GT....

Note that in RL's first yr (2007), we still had one of the worst injury lists in the comp.

It was only after the new board came in that things changed dramatically in the footy department.

Everything was overhauled, and we are now seeing the benefits. Ask RL how happy he is to have a great conditioning program, great support system to develop rookies & young players....

He has already at serveral times made reference to this.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:SR & Roger -

The previous board had put some changes in place, e.g. new coach and desire to hire some other support people, but it was still fundamentally rudderless in the way it ran the footy department. RL was still too focused on wars with GT....

Note that in RL's first yr (2007), we still had one of the worst injury lists in the comp.

It was only after the new board came in that things changed dramatically in the footy department.

Everything was overhauled, and we are now seeing the benefits. Ask RL how happy he is to have a great conditioning program, great support system to develop rookies & young players....

I agree with you.

I also agree that the old Board are largely to be thanked that the club still exists in it's current form.

But they lost the plot. Led by Butterss, they lost the plot.

kaos theory
Club Player

But they lost the plot. Led by Butterss, they lost the plot.
Yes.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
As a midfielder, you don't get that time to consider 'should I tackle this bloke or back off and corale him? Should I dive on that ball or wait for my man to get it then tackle him?' etc. etc. etc.

As a midfielder, forward or defender in general play, if you hesitate for a split second you will be second to the ball and aren't going at 110%.

Your intensity drops if you think about it too much - or thin about it at all.

Now, our forwards don't zone off up on the wing when our opponents get the ball. They do what comes naturally to any footballer and they attack the bloke with the nut. Hey presto! Forward defensive pressure!!
*Double sigh*

What tosh.

Do you think soldiers are doing what comes naturally when without hesitation they advance under fire if ordered to?

Do you think members of an orchestra are just belting out the notes however they feel like it?

I would've thought the idea of implementing a game-plan involves players being drilled to perform in certain ways under certain circumstances.

Have Milne or Dal ever had a great defensive side?.... by their own admission they have not. It has been drilled into them, and they now do it 'naturally'.

If you want to constantly troll and white ant then you have to expect some extra scrutiny.... even though you obviously abhor the attention.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Have Milne or Dal ever had a great defensive side?.... by their own admission they have not. It has been drilled into them, and they now do it 'naturally'.
I've always thought Dal has had a very good defensive side. He's a great tackler and always has been.

I think workrate is his problem. Or was.
markp wrote: If you want to constantly troll and white ant then you have to expect some extra scrutiny.... even though you obviously abhor the attention.
I don't mind a discussion or debate. But this constant pettiness is incredibly boring.

And to be honest, it makes you look like a dill.

You have some good views, but you're trying too hard to find faults with my posts that aren't there. And if they are there, they're trivial.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote: Have Milne or Dal ever had a great defensive side?.... by their own admission they have not. It has been drilled into them, and they now do it 'naturally'.
I've always thought Dal has had a very good defensive side. He's a great tackler and always has been.

markp wrote: If you want to constantly troll and white ant then you have to expect some extra scrutiny.... even though you obviously abhor the attention.
I don't mind a discussion or debate. But this constant pettiness is incredibly boring.

You have some good views, but you're trying too hard to find faults with my posts that aren't there. And if they are there, they're trivial.
You set out primarily to troll and inflame.... somehow it gives you a thrill.

You betray people's trust and goodwill in this forum when you misrepresent yourself and feign emotions, all in the name of your own bizarre private gratification.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:[
And if they're not trivial, they're wrong,
And if they're not wrong, they don't suit my agenda.
And if they're not against my agenda, they don't flatter me.
And if they don't flatter me, then I just don't plain liken them!

C'mon rodgerfox, You don't seriously expect us all to swallow the twaddle you constantly peddle on here without taking the opportunity to point out that it is twaddle?

If you truly, honestly believe that all the other posters who seem to have worked your mo out should just accept it then all I can say is:-

sigh
so sad
peculiar
strange
you're a liar
show me the post
read my post
mods
I'm being bullied
I'm 110% correcxt
I was 110% correct
look at me

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

You set out primarily to troll and inflame.... somehow it gives you a thrill.

You betray people's trust and goodwill in this forum when you misrepresent yourself and feign emotions, all in the name of your own bizarre private gratification.
And here I was thinking I was simply on a footy forum talking about the Saints.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

How tempting it is to bump some threads though, I especially remember a thread questioning where on earth the improvment was going to come this year with a lot of people thinking we would slide. In fact I might go have a little look for it now :wink:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:[
And if they're not trivial, they're wrong,
And if they're not wrong, they don't suit my agenda.
And if they're not against my agenda, they don't flatter me.
And if they don't flatter me, then I just don't plain liken them!

C'mon rodgerfox, You don't seriously expect us all to swallow the twaddle you constantly peddle on here without taking the opportunity to point out that it is twaddle?

If you truly, honestly believe that all the other posters who seem to have worked your mo out should just accept it then all I can say is:-

sigh
so sad
peculiar
strange
you're a liar
show me the post
read my post
mods
I'm being bullied
I'm 110% correcxt
I was 110% correct
look at me

:lol:

And last but not least....
rodgerfox wrote:And here I was thinking I was simply on a footy forum talking about the Saints.
I do admire his relentlessness.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:SR & Roger -

The previous board had put some changes in place, e.g. new coach and desire to hire some other support people, but it was still fundamentally rudderless in the way it ran the footy department. RB was still too focused on wars with GT....

Well firstly I actually agree with RF..that in the end that RB lost the plot.

However Kaos... while we agree on many things on this issue I believe that you are incorrect about the timeline of change in the footy department..and give credit to the wrong Board. And in particular on the Player Fitness and Conditioning side.

RB in probably his last good move appointed Ross Smith to research into our injury woes...and provide solutions.

This Ross did,,,,and most of the change was begun or complete BEFORE Westaway got in...including the securing of Misson.

You can also be sure that our new Club Doctor...an Olympic Doc came though Ross's AIS contacts and this process.

4:07 PM Tue 02 October, 2007
http://www.saints.com.au/Season2008/New ... wsId=52037

Rod Butterss has today announced his resignation as club President along with fellow directors Glen Casey, Mark Kellett, Andrew Bassat and Ray King.

Recent appointments to further strengthen the football department in the area of recruiting, strength and conditioning and the formation of the science and innovation group headed by Dr Ross Smith involving representatives from the AIS & VIS will make for a significant addition to this area of the football club.

Just last week the club signed Dave Mission from the Sydney Swans oversee see conditioning and injury management program.

And on Oct 16.

Drain, who as head of football replaces football manager Ken Sheldon, is the Saints' fourth key off-field appointment since the end of the season. They also have hired former Sydney fitness and conditioning coach Dave Misson, Australian Olympic team doctor Tim Barber and Melbourne Victory physiotherapist Andrew Wallace.

"We see this as a very significant appointment," said St Kilda chief executive Archie Fraser.