Harvey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hamill01
Club Player

Harvey

Another week he had basically zero impact (he wasn't the only one in our midfield I know). Not taking anything away from the champ, he's a living legend, but he looks buggered after one kick. I mean I think this goes beyond a form slump. Perhaps he's body is slowly but surely giving out?

I'm not blaming him for last nights loss or anything, just worried that it doesn't seem like he gets in the contest as much as he usually does. Don't really see him going on another year :(

Thoughts?

Hamill, does not play well with others.
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Could indeed be that the great mans body is feeling it's age.

He looked hopeless last night.

Could have been a really tight tag though, i just didn't see him do anything at all last night.

hamill01
Club Player

I heard the commentators mention several times Harvey was left alone...

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

If i recall correctly he was managed differently in the last 2 years in regards to on field time early in the season. This year due to injuries he may have had a lot more work in the earlier part of the season and is now feeling the pinch a bit. It really is time that the younger mids step up more and pick up the slack a bit from the old man. We really can't afford to rest him now but it looks to be what he needs. He can still make an impact next year if we are able to manage his time on ground more.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

He's gone.

Sad to say but the end is here.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hard bunch.....

Personally I think Harvey was playinginjured (or at least injury restricted...) last night..

Pre-game he had a lot more strapping than normal on one shoulder...and during the game it was noticeable that he struggled to lift his arms above shoulder height.

If he was injured the question should perhaps be should he have been rested????

the counter argument may be that an 80 % fit harvey is still considered to be better than options at caset.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintrod
Club Player

Father time catches up with everyone and with footballers it tends to happen pretty quickly.

Harvs last 3 weeks have been very poor by his lofty standards he has looked slow and has had little impact.

I think his time might be up although I certainly didn't think so on his 350th and maybe he is carrying injuries but the signs don't look good.

JeffDunne

Christ, talk about quick to pull the trigger on a bloke.

Fair dinkum. :roll:

hamill01
Club Player

I'm not pulling the trigger, just suggesting that perhaps his age is catching up to him. He is 36 this year, I mean he's a legend, but not invincible. It could be an injury, or just the fact we rely on him to much and don't give him the necessary resting time, but it's unusual even for him to have a slump like this. Over the last month he's had zero to little impact. Judging from he's own body language, even he doesn't seem happy with himself. Just hope this isn't the start of a slow decline like other veteran players have gone through.

I mean think about it, even he is human, and to actually get out on the field for him must be challenging. He is the oldest man in the afl after all.

While I'm not suggesting we retire him or anything like that, just wonder what will happen if his form doesn't improve.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

age doesnt catch up with a bloke within the space of a month!
he would have been very close to leading our b+f until a month ago.

obviously something is amiss, whether that be injury or other factors.

Never write off a champ.

mcadam05
Club Player

Re: Harvey

hamill01 wrote:Another week he had basically zero impact (he wasn't the only one in our midfield I know). Not taking anything away from the champ, he's a living legend, but he looks buggered after one kick. I mean I think this goes beyond a form slump. Perhaps he's body is slowly but surely giving out?

I'm not blaming him for last nights loss or anything, just worried that it doesn't seem like he gets in the contest as much as he usually does. Don't really see him going on another year :(

Thoughts?
are you sure your talking about Harvs and not Aaron Hamil lol

hamill01
Club Player

Haha I think we all know the routine with him.

Hopefully we'll see Havs bounce back next week :)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he is dispirited because he realises the current bunch aren't much chop.

It's hard work for him getting his body 100% and what's the point if he's playing with too many lame ducks.

Why should a 36 year old bust his guts when players 10+ years younger than him don't have the same tank???

Why should he still live in hope at his age when he has been let down so many times??

I personally think he can bounce back if he has the motivation to, and not for minute will I blame him if he decides "stuff this" and packs it all in at season end.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
hamill01
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:I personally think he can bounce back if he has the motivation to, and not for minute will I blame him if he decides "stuff this" and packs it all in at season end.
I agree. I wonder how many times in he's late career he's been told "Don't worry Harvs, we'll get the cup next year" or "Sorry we didn't get it this year Harvs, we'll definantly get it next year."

I can't imagine him walking out half way through a season unless for injury though.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

gee me and my clueless mother had this discussion before... your fair dinkum kidding yourself if you think he is finishedon the basis of 3 avearge games

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

On behalf of the rest of the Sunshine Coast Saints supporters I apologise for Hammill01's comments re Harvey. It was a 26c+ sunny day yesterday, and there may be a slight case of sunstroke affecting judgement.
Time will never pass Harvey by, we will continue to name him and carry him over the line till HE holds that cup up in September. Period.

Seeya
HarveysDeciple

part of me thinks perhaps the end is near, and the great man is slowly winding down..

But part of me thinks he will get 34 touches this week and poll 3 Brownlow votes :wink:

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

he was smashed early in the game and never looked the same again thereafter

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I thought that the GREAT MAN was starting to give a few hints that he thought the end was near in an interview directly after the West Coast game.

With him being the greatest (and most decorated except THAT medal) saint of all time there should be only three criteria for his exit;

1. That he goes out on top

2. That he goes out on his terms

3. That he goes out in style

!!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

If and i mean if he retires I hope he says before his last game so we can give him a good farewell.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

how dare we critisise the great man 3 bad games out of 350+ come on your kidding right

all you melb fans of St kilda listen up this is it possibly your last chance to see the greatest saint ever to play the game play !!
we need all of you to rock up for every last game we have fill our dome to the roof cram ourself in and yell til your lungs bleed !! our team need you all of you
lets make these next three games the most unwelcoming for the oppersition give the dockers heaps boo farmer hiss bell and cheer our boys
then the next week get fired up to do it all again !!!!

this could be the last chance to cheer Bangers on make the most of it !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I'm afraid there not trav... I noticed over the last couple of weeks as the team has gone down more and more people are looking for exuses whereever they can find them, wheather they are there or not.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Gee, he carried the team for weeks. Let's see what happens this week and next before we leap to judgement. It's time to play Brookes - we simply have to see whether he can play in the big time so give him the last three games- we know Clarke and Rix can't play - and Fergus Watts for much the same reason. Both have shown they can add to forward marking capacity, making it less likely that the oppostion will put three players on Riewoldt, who gets monstered every week. The number of times he gets his arms chopped without penalty is unbelievable, well no, not unbelievable, he is a St Kilda player. Fisher and Gram have to be rotated as loose man, otherwise it is just too predicable. All our blokes have to be given the "magic potion" that WC players have been taking since 1992 and from what I saw on the weekend, what Hawthorn players are also having, to put muscles on muscles and generally increase bulk and strength by 30% in a very short period of time. So much for drug testing!

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

The Great Man does appear a little "out of sorts" and has done for a few weeks now. I think the body might be a little weary as is the mind, however one thing for certain is he will never give up.
I've noted he's made a number of elimentary mistakes, unlike him, been caught in possession, unlike him, and missed targets, again most unlike him.
I think the Great Man should be rested over the next two weeks in favour of Armitage or Voss and then play him in the last against Richmond at the Gee. If we make the finals, then Harves would be selected automatically for those games.
I'd love to see him play on next year however, it would all depend on how he manages a full pre season. If he doesn't make it, then play him in the Pre Season Cup match and promote it as Harveys Farewell. If he does, then we are all better off for it.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
spert
Saintsational Legend

We know how great Harvey is, but he really should quietly retire at the end of the season. We need now to build a new team and I don't think we can go forward with old bodies, sad as it sounds.