Is it time to play Pou at HBF

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is it time to play Pou at HBF

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 2:06pm Im all for Mattaes to be dropped, but the constant bashing and making him the new whipping boy is beyond a joke old boys. I can think of a few players who are worse *cough* Byrnes *cough*

You all need to just CALMA DOWN
Whipping Boy?
What about you guys proclaiming he’s going to be a star calm down? There is absolutely nothing to suggest that this is going occur apart from his early draft pick and a big body. He’d never played senior football until he was drafted and drafting kids who have never played against men always comes with risks.

How about we see whether he can get a kick in the VFL and hopefully jump and take some marks. He has 2 years to prove himself

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Kid kicks goals in big moments. Takes screamers. Gets a rising star nomination. Played in a finals. More than what most achieved… would you rather Elijah Tstatas? Doing his ACL? In and out of team. Can’t hit a target? You are all fools. Kid will be a gun.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 09 May 2024 11:24pm Be mindfull of the fact that the marketeers who write the draft bios also write the blurbs for wine labels.
Without being disrespectful, I'd trust Kevin Sheehan's words over yours anyday. Would have forgotten more about junior talent than all of us on this site would know.
Kevin Sheehan wrote: Mattaes Phillipou
State: South Australia
State League Club: Woodville-West Torrens
Community Club: PHOS Camden
Date of Birth: 27/12/04; Height: 190cm; Weight: 89kg

A tall midfielder who carried dominant form at under-18s level for Woodville-West Torrens into the National Championships. Was outstanding with 24 disposals, five clearances and two goals in South Australia’s win against the Allies, and was solid in the other three matches, averaging 17 disposals. A penetrating left footer with a powerful burst from stoppages, he tested impressively at the Draft Combine, with his speed (2.99 seconds for the 20m sprint) and endurance (6:25 for the 2km time trial) suggesting he has the athleticism to be a weapon in the midfield. His father Sam played in the AFL with the Western Bulldogs but not enough games to qualify under father-son provisions.
Weapon: Powerful burst from congestion and overhead marking
AFL player comparison: Christian Petracca (Melbourne)
https://www.afl.com.au/news/868304/kevi ... L%20Draft.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 4:19pm Kid kicks goals in big moments. Takes screamers. Gets a rising star nomination. Played in a finals. More than what most achieved… would you rather Elijah Tstatas? Doing his ACL? In and out of team. Can’t hit a target? You are all fools. Kid will be a gun.
Mate his first 5 games were very good for a debutant kid. No argument from anyone. But his confidence has hit rock bottom for a long time now. If anything we have delayed his development. He should have been dropped around RD 12 last year and who knows, he might have been the new Nas.

Right here, right now, he’s not very good. We need him to be good

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 4:20pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 09 May 2024 11:24pm Be mindfull of the fact that the marketeers who write the draft bios also write the blurbs for wine labels.
Without being disrespectful, I'd trust Kevin Sheehan's words over yours anyday. Would have forgotten more about junior talent than all of us on this site would know.

A tall midfielder who carried dominant form at under-18s level for Woodville-West Torrens into the National Championships. Was outstanding with 24 disposals, five clearances and two goals in South Australia’s win against the Allies, and was solid in the other three matches, averaging 17 disposals. A penetrating left footer with a powerful burst from stoppages, he tested impressively at the Draft Combine, with his speed (2.99 seconds for the 20m sprint) and endurance (6:25 for the 2km time trial) suggesting he has the athleticism to be a weapon in the midfield. His father Sam played in the AFL with the Western Bulldogs but not enough games to qualify under father-son provisions.
Can you direct me to the links where Sheehan is critical of a junior player potentially getting drafted? …..

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 4:26pm Can you direct me to the links where Sheehan is critical of a junior player potentially getting drafted? …..
Sure...
https://www.afl.com.au/news/sheehan

Are you seriously questioning the credibility of Sheehan?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 4:29pm
Moods wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 4:26pm Can you direct me to the links where Sheehan is critical of a junior player potentially getting drafted? …..
Sure...

Not at all. His role is to help these kids get drafted. Just like a Real Estate agents job is to sell a house. If you want a genuine appraisal of a players ability you need to speak to a recruiting guy in private. I spoke with a recruiting bloke about Caminiti for instance, he was staggered at his form last year for St Kilda particularly in the early games. Reckons he was a classic two grab player which we are now seeing. But they are hardly likely to point out an 18 or 19-year-old kids faults in a public forum.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 4:36pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 4:29pm
Sure...

Not at all. His role is to help these kids get drafted. Just like a Real Estate agents job is to sell a house.
So now he's being compared to a real estate agent?
Better than a used car salesman, I suppose.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 4:20pm

So teasing your POV out a little further, is it possible, or has it happened before where Kevin Sheehan writes up a draft prospect such as Pou that has not met the profile projected in his write up at AFL level?

If the answer is yes, then what is it you have seen in his 30 AFL games that makes you confident Kevin Sheehan's write up still ensures we have a guaranteed AFL star? Or are you willing to be objective enough, and open minded enough to pass judgement at some stage in the future that a Kevin Sheehan write up on a teenager doesn't ensure a star at AFL level?

I'd suggest judgement time will be around the 50 to 100 games, like we will know for certain one way or the other, at this stage we are only at the question mark stage.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think he was undeserving of a lot of games he play last and this season!

I also think he’ll end up a gun AFL player in time

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Moods wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 4:14pm
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 2:06pm Im all for Mattaes to be dropped, but the constant bashing and making him the new whipping boy is beyond a joke old boys. I can think of a few players who are worse *cough* Byrnes *cough*

You all need to just CALMA DOWN
Whipping Boy?
What about you guys proclaiming he’s going to be a star calm down? There is absolutely nothing to suggest that this is going occur apart from his early draft pick and a big body. He’d never played senior football until he was drafted and drafting kids who have never played against men always comes with risks.

How about we see whether he can get a kick in the VFL and hopefully jump and take some marks. He has 2 years to prove himself
Not claiming he will be a star. But he did have some impressive games last year and showed big potential.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It's time for to go to Centre Half Bench.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 7:58pm So teasing your POV out a little further, is it possible, or has it happened before where Kevin Sheehan writes up a draft prospect such as Pou that has not met the profile projected in his write up at AFL level?

If the answer is yes, then what is it you have seen in his 30 AFL games that makes you confident Kevin Sheehan's write up still ensures we have a guaranteed AFL star? Or are you willing to be objective enough, and open minded enough to pass judgement at some stage in the future that a Kevin Sheehan write up on a teenager doesn't ensure a star at AFL level?

I'd suggest judgement time will be around the 50 to 100 games, like we will know for certain one way or the other, at this stage we are only at the question mark stage.
Are you implying that junior talent watchers should be able to predict what that player will become once they enter the AFL system?
Once they're drafted, it is up to the clubs to develop them. Sheehan, and others like him, simply talk about the player they've observed. Not they player they will end up being. To expect anything else is lunacy.

So, now, in your eyes, Sheehan's gone from real estate agent to Nostradamus. It's a lot to put on one man's shoulders!

Sanctorum
Club Player

Sending young Phillipou to play in the lower grade is much the same as Marcus Windhager spending time to learn his midfield craft there last year, a move that a lot of supporters could not understand at the time but obviously paid big dividends.

Much todo about nothing, he'll turn out fine in the fulness of time and achieve his professed ambition to become a champion!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 9:45am
Are you implying that junior talent watchers should be able to predict what that player will become once they enter the AFL system?
Once they're drafted, it is up to the clubs to develop them. Sheehan, and others like him, simply talk about the player they've observed. Not they player they will end up being. To expect anything else is lunacy.

So, now, in your eyes, Sheehan's gone from real estate agent to Nostradamus. It's a lot to put on one man's shoulders!
I think we might of misunderstood each other and actually be in furious agreement then?

When you said you'd trust Kevin Sheehan's words over mine because he'd forgotten more about junior talent than all of us on this site I agreed, but suggested that he wasn't Nostradamus either in my own special way and further expanded that we now have a sample size of 30 AFL games since Kevin Sheehan's observations of Pou playing as a mid teen footballer in a boys league and that it was quite common for such colourful writes-ups by the likes of Sheehan to not automatically transfer into star power at AFL level.

Incredibly common to the point of almost rarely.

Emphasising "star power" because most one eyed Saints fans have possibly convinced themselves Pou is going to be a star of the game, even maybe elite when the reality now is after a sample size of 30 AFL games, it could go either way, we possibly wont know for at least another 50 to 100 games.

I'd suggest though if Pou is fortunate to get to 100 games without having established himself as a bonafide star of the competition at that point, then it might be safe to say he will be looking like another Billings selection at the draft. There's no shame in that, the statistics prove it's very hard to elevate yourself into the Fyfe, Bont, Petracca hemisphere, which again is where I suspect many of our rusted on supporters think Pou is automatically headed for.

I'm all about waiting for the right sample size before calling it and he's a long way off it presently.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think he’ll be a gun, by that doesn’t mean a run in the 2s is a bad thing, probably should have had one last year too.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.