The Jimmy Situation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The Jimmy Situation

With Jimmy Webster back from his suspension this week, it poses an interesting question.

Is there value in leaving him out?

No doubt in my mind he's a walk up start in our current side, based on what he brings on the field.

BUT, a young side like north could leverage some emotion around Jimmy to put in a strong performance.

I think 6 'weeks' ago, we were all itching to see the rematch, but now i'm thinking we refuse to give it any oxygen, as it's more likely to benefit them than us.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Jimmy Situation

I agree. You make a valid point.

Makes sense to ease him back for his own sake. We don't want him doing a hammy first game back.

He hasn't played at any level for 8 weeks. He was denied any match practice when the club asked if he could play in a practice game for the VFL side a couple of weeks ago

We're not shooting for top 4 this year so may as well keep experimenting with as much youth as possible.

We still want to win so it's going to be interesting if match committee thinks we need a lock down defender on one of their small forwards

spert
Saintsational Legend

I see Webster as a tough nut, but yet another Saints serviceable player without being a game changer. I would like Paton in as much as Webster who needs to show a bit at Sandy first.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I think don't throw him straight into the fire first week up and also give the Kangas more motivation.

We struggled to look good against these bottom teams last year, don't need to give them any more reason to fire up!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

What a load of cowardly BS. I’m glad I’m not standing next to any you lot in the trenches.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I'd have him there just to gesture and blow kisses to Clarko .

In red white and black from 73
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

North Melbourne would lose games at VFL level shouldn’t be worried about them in the slightest. Pick the best side and win. Simple

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2024 7:00pm I'd have him there just to gesture and blow kisses to Clarko .
That would be entrapment.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2024 7:00pm I'd have him there just to gesture and blow kisses to Clarko .
Get him a seat in front of the coaches box.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2024 7:13pm North Melbourne would lose games at VFL level shouldn’t be worried about them in the slightest. Pick the best side and win. Simple
We almost lost to North twice out of the last 3 matches. With the form we're in I wouldn't be surprised if we lose. Would derail the season.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

VFL for Jimmy

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

If he’s fit, play him. We’ve missed him.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2024 7:13pm North Melbourne would lose games at VFL level shouldn’t be worried about them in the slightest. Pick the best side and win. Simple
Geez I hope the cat doesn't walk past you if we lose which is very likely.

North match up on us reeeeeal well and would have set themselves for this game as they would see us as beatable for all the obvious reasons...that being there isn't much that usually seperates us on the ladder and this season they could even jump us if their list starts to develop quickly.

I wouldn't be getting too cocky.

King Max
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2024 7:38pm
We almost lost to North twice out of the last 3 matches. With the form we're in I wouldn't be surprised if we lose. Would derail the season.
2 of the last 3?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

They don't have McKay, Goldstein, Cunnington, Ziebell, or Thomas anymore.
Should be a 50 point win.
I wouldn't play Webster, but only because he hasn't played any games since the praccy, not due to worrying about North.
Paton should come in, for mine.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Saints58
Club Player

He should go back into the VFL he has not had a game all season
and if wood, Dow, Clarke, King, Paton do we play jimmy as well and don't forget jones 29 disposals in VFL who comes out?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2024 8:20pm

North match up on us reeeeeal well and would have set themselves for this game as they would see us as beatable for all the obvious reasons...that being there isn't much that usually seperates us on the ladder and this season they could even jump us if their list starts to develop quickly.

Correction - they did match up on us real well. But this year's North Melbourne is a very different Kangaroo.
The only reason they weren't getting Melbourne circa 2012 or Richmond 1991 (or St Kilda 1985) type thrashings is because of Cunnington, Ziebell, Thomas, Goldstein and McKay. They're not there this season.
We'll win by about 50 points.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They still have very good players who can damage

Better midfield than ours

LDU
Simpkin
Scott
McKercher

A decent ruckman Xerri

A better key forward
Larkey

A better small forward Zirhaar

DO NOT take them lightly!!!!

They are full of young talent that can have a break out game at any time

And a 4 x premiership coach - and if you listen to Teflon - that’s all you need!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2024 9:40pm

Correction - they did match up on us real well. But this year's North Melbourne is a very different Kangaroo.
The only reason they weren't getting Melbourne circa 2012 or Richmond 1991 (or St Kilda 1985) type thrashings is because of Cunnington, Ziebell, Thomas, Goldstein and McKay. They're not there this season.
I dunno, other than I salute your cockyness.

Hang onto your hat!

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2024 7:38pm
I’d argue the season has already been derailed. I’d also argue that north is worse now than any team has been potentially ever. It would be an all time low for the club if we lose to them and melt down time I think.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2024 10:28pm

Hang onto your hat!
Their backline last week consisted of: Comben, Fisher MacDonald, drury, Nyoun, Bailey Scott and aiden Corr. I Challenge anyone to find me a worse back 6 + bench on paper in the history of AFL football. 7 blokes who would not get a game at any other club at present. I am not saying this from a place of cockiness, as we’re travelling terrible as well albeit with a far better young potential and future prospects. I just think north have stooped to historic lows. We should be demanding nothing more than 4 points as fans this weekend. That being said I cannot see us blowing them away, it will probably be a low scoring close affair.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2024 10:28pm

Hang onto your hat!
It isn't the same side as last year. And neither are we.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2024 9:57pm They still have very good players who can damage

Better midfield than ours

LDU
Simpkin
Scott
McKercher

A decent ruckman Xerri

A better key forward
Larkey

A better small forward Zirhaar

DO NOT take them lightly!!!!

They are full of young talent that can have a break out game at any time

And a 4 x premiership coach - and if you listen to Teflon - that’s all you need!
Again I appreciate im coming across unjustifiably cocky here, but I can’t agree with you on this. Simpkin, Scott and Zurharr would not get a regular game at St Kilda. LDU has really struggled this season and is outside top 250 players in league by champion data X ratings YTD.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Straight back in for Jimmy

No need to play him in the VFL as North are pretty much a VFL side

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Paton was good in the VFL last week and has now had two hit outs, he should be first choice.

Seven weeks is a long time out.