Let’s talk about cheating

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Let’s talk about cheating

The_Dud wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:22am We’re -2 for free kicks across the whole season.

So what does that say?
That they cheated tonight.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:17am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:14am
Scollop wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:11am Ross Lyon was very clear on where the game was lost

When the journalists informed him about the free kick count, he said; "That's not what cost us the game"
That is Ross Code for - It cost us the game

Later he asked the margin - and when told 10 points he said 'with a 25 to 10 free kick count - Hhhmm'
No. When he was told it was 25-10 free kicks, he asked the question; " Who's way?"

It was a moment to distract and deflect from our poor play, our poor connection and our mistakes.

It was a genuine question from a coach who understands footy. In other words, it's not a factor.

He went on to say that the moment he starts worrying about the free kick count is the moment he should stop coaching
Are you a lay preacher?
Dud the alter boy?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross had a a usual media manager meeting before the presser

He knew exactly what was going to be asked

He knew exactly the messaging he needed to send

Toed the party line

Tried to appease the supporters (dual narrative)

Defended his coaching- predictable

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:32am
Scollop wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:11am Ross Lyon was very clear on where the game was lost

When the journalists informed him about the free kick count, he said; "That's not what cost us the game"

Later he asked the margin - and when told 10 points he said 'with a 25 to 10 free kick count - Hhhmm'
No. When he was told it was 25-10 free kicks, he asked the question; " Who's way?"

It was a moment to distract and deflect from our poor play, our poor connection and our mistakes.

It was a genuine question from a coach who understands footy. In other words, it's not a factor.

He went on to say that the moment he starts worrying about the free kick count is the moment he should stop coaching
Are you a lay preacher?
Dud the alter boy?
Forget the emotion of a live game and the fact that the scoreboard was close at times. I understand you're vigorously supporting your club.

Name 3 passages of play tonight that got you feeling all warm and fuzzy about our team and its prospects for playing finals

ace
Saintsational Legend

The umpires won by at least 10 points this evening.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:41am
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:32am

Are you a lay preacher?
Dud the alter boy?
Forget the emotion of a live game and the fact that the scoreboard was close at times. I understand you're vigorously supporting your club.

Name 3 passages of play tonight that got you feeling all warm and fuzzy about our team and its prospects for playing finals
Hills goal. Sincs goal. Cordy's goal.
Every time Hastie got a touch. Garcia's endeavour. Dougal after a long break. Cordy letting Charlie D know he must have been blowing the umps. Byrnes trying his guts out. The obvious camaraderie. There's more but as an aficionado of perfection in an imperfect game you would be bored. When it comes down to it it's the little things, you know. Like Max King not playing and a 25- 10 free count in hostile territory. The spirit was fantastic. But negative on trooper.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Get a grip Yorkeys. There's no need to get on your high horse because I've got a different opinion than you regarding 'what cost us the game'

You're not a better supporter of the club. You're not 'supporting our players' by thinking they got robbed.

I'm relaying what the coach said and all of a sudden I want perfect footballers!?!

I was rapt in the boys effort. If you look at the match day thread I called it early that we looked switched on. I don't come in here and just whinge

I give credit where it's due. I give votes in the voting thread...do you?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The real get a grip view is currently, we are shite, that's a St Kilda thing, we have perfected it. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Page 1 ...start of the thread..but yeah... I'm the one that's negative

https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic ... 2#p2054862

Problem with some is that they can't quite get a grasp of where St Kilda fits in with regard to finals.

Are we in the window? Are we rebuilding?

They think that just because we qualified last year that means we should improve or we should be good enough to qualify again. Are we in the window? Are we rebuilding?
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 27 Apr 2024 1:42am, edited 1 time in total.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 1:35am The real get a grip view is currently, we are shite, that's a St Kilda thing, we have perfected it. :roll: :roll: :roll:
What do you mean we, kemosabe?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 1:40am
bobmurray wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 1:35am The real get a grip view is currently, we are shite, that's a St Kilda thing, we have perfected it. :roll: :roll: :roll:
What do you mean we, kemosabe?
We, as in anyone who has a clue about s*** Kilda, let me know if you still don't understand .kemonoclue.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 1:23am Get a grip Yorkeys. There's no need to get on your high horse because I've got a different opinion than you regarding 'what cost us the game'

You're not a better supporter of the club. You're not 'supporting our players' by thinking they got robbed.

I'm relaying what the coach said and all of a sudden I want perfect footballers!?!

I was rapt in the boys effort. If you look at the match day thread I called it early that we looked switched on. I don't come in here and just whinge

I give credit where it's due. I give votes in the voting thread...do you?
No.
I don't verbal either.
Never said we were robbed.
It was what it was.
Don't like to give comfort to the enemy, but.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

We didn’t deserve to win. The game was always played on Port’s terms.

However, on this occasion, we got absolutely reamed by the umps.

Was it a conspiracy, no? Did it cost us the game, unlikely. But did it affect the final margin being even closer and our chances of snatching an unlikely victory. Absolutely!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Bowey Boy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 26 Apr 2024 11:25pm Crowd pleasing umpiring - it’s been going on you decades

WCE differential is embarrassing

Port have had 500 more free kicks at home in the last decade

When averages suggest it should be about even
Except we don't have a home gound anymore. Just a place that we play in Victoria.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:27am
The_Dud wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:22am We’re -2 for free kicks across the whole season.

So what does that say?
I understand, so they’ve now balanced out the games they cheated for us this year with the games they cheated against us.

Sounds fair, swings and roundabouts 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

He later stated 10(points loss) with a 25 to 10 free kick count whilst laughing.

i think he was clearly pissed with the biased piss poor umpiring

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yeah maybe but Port don't look like world beaters either

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Media haven’t held back in the umpiring this morning.

One expert said he found a lot of interpretations that went Ports way more than a little odd.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Winning football games is not about whether or not you “deserve” it, or whether or not your opponents were unlucky with injuries, or moved the ball better than us.

We have received half a dozen simply dreadful umpiring decisions against us that either gifted them goals or denied them to us. Without those decisions - all of which IMO were worse than the usual borderline decisions you see in most games - we would have won well.

The winner is the team that kicks the most points. Which was never going to be Port without all the added help the umps gave them.

So, yes, we were robbed. On this occasion. End of story.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 1:18pm Media haven’t held back in the umpiring this morning.

One expert said he found a lot of interpretations that went Ports way more than a little odd.
The main thing I saw was Hinkley whinging about the holding the man calls against them. You’ve got to admire his chutzpah.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Ajantis
Club Player

St.Kilda vs Collingwood 1st Game.
Frees >
St.Kilda 30 > Collingwood 16

St.Kilda Cheating ?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Last two weeks…

18 for
46 against

Something isn’t right.

Could be us, could be the opposition, could be the umps, but is most likely a combination of all.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 8:54am We didn’t deserve to win. The game was always played on Port’s terms.

However, on this occasion, we got absolutely reamed by the umps.

Was it a conspiracy, no? Did it cost us the game, unlikely. But did it affect the final margin being even closer and our chances of snatching an unlikely victory. Absolutely!
Port are a better team but they did everything in their power to s*** the bed and cough up the game. Luckily for them the umps were a calming and consistent force in their favour which dragged them over the line.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 9:57am
CURLY wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:27am

So what does that say?
I understand, so they’ve now balanced out the games they cheated for us this year with the games they cheated against us.

Sounds fair, swings and roundabouts 👍
Hey Dud - explain this one for me:
https://www.theroar.com.au/afl/video/wa ... d-1347795/

I know it is VFL - but that is the training ground for The Duds that end up missing decisions at AFL Level.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

What do we know about the current senior umpiring group?
Most seem athletic enough, not many spew at 3/4 time or cramp up.
We know they are largely respectful of each other's decisions, not demurring even when they know a mistake has been made. Nice tight and supportive.
We know they have collectively decided to largely ignore the holding the ball and in the back rules, however it seems each has a quota for each rule, something like one each a game: so don't use it early and don't be stuck having to use it late in a close game.
Are these men and women of strong character able to stare down challenges from Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Zorko et al. Doesn't appear so.
They appear reasonable, they have listened to Hinkley and now pay frees to Charlie D whenever he is in a contest and have reversed the embargo on Ginnivan.
Are these people clever? We don't know. Are they sensitive types, absolutely, they abhor personal abuse, signs of sulking and dissent as well as physical violence (a paradox in a game like Aussie Rules, but there you go).
They are the best judges of performance by way of the Brownlow and are so confident of their opinion have been known to bet money on it.
And they know you have to give the audience what they want, this is the entertainment industry; Essendon, Carlton, Geelong, Collingwood, Port, Crows, WCoast, you know what those mobs crave so give them a 70% free kick count and choose moments of maximum hurt to the opposition. Throw in a couple that are outrageous, commentators love it.
Their shield is the old fashioned value Aussies have that umpire is always right and the infinite forgiveness that an umpire never cheats but can be unsighted and its a tough game to umpire.
They use their shield like a politician uses his/her allowances entitlements, with due respect for the long suffering punters (wink).
So cheating is not a word these custodians of the game would use; collective madness, group think, sheepness and industry standard perhaps, but cheat? that's 50 meters buddy and another 50 if you don't smile nicely.