Umpires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Umpires

Cheers ๐Ÿ‘

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpires

Where's Curly?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I really thought they would even up the numbers the second half (like they always seem to) but it kept going our way. Hopefully that will continue down the track.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
โ€œIf we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.โ€

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
shrodes
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote: โ†‘Thu 21 Mar 2024 10:45pm Where's Curly?
Frantically thinking up reasons why the umpires stopped us winning by 50 points

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

shrodes wrote: โ†‘Thu 21 Mar 2024 10:54pm
whiskers3614 wrote: โ†‘Thu 21 Mar 2024 10:45pm Where's Curly?
Frantically thinking up reasons why the umpires stopped us winning by 50 points
Heard from Curly via text, summary:

- Elliott dropped the mark, blatant cheating
- Higgins clearly inside boundary, play on
- All frees received were clearly there, they missed about 10 they should have given us
- Foote and Fisher hate us, always kill us like they did tonight

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

The RTB umpire love affair continues.
Like last season, they love us ๐Ÿ˜Š

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Magnificent run and basically got a Collingwood like run.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Yepโ€ฆavoided the pineapple

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

They still missed plenty our way

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 2:13am They still missed plenty our way
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Is it me - or did we get a lot of frees that would have been marks anyway - like Higgins in the goal square?

โ€œYouth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.โ€

โ€• Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Fisher, great Saints man, always looks after us!

We got looked after by the umps last year by a record margin, this year is shaping up the same!

Not sure who made Curly look sillier last night, the umps or Tim Membrey!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
King Max
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 8:45am Is it me - or did we get a lot of frees that would have been marks anyway - like Higgins in the goal square?
Counting free kicks is a very blunt tool for measuring umpire bias. Thereโ€™s those issues, then the times they pay advantage but it still counts as a free even if play doesnโ€™t stop. Thereโ€™s marks that are paid or not paid and myriad other things that they do that affect the game.

The first goal they kicked when the ball bounced into Elliottโ€™s hands wonโ€™t turn up in any free kick stats.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 8:55am
Sainter_Dad wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 8:45am Is it me - or did we get a lot of frees that would have been marks anyway - like Higgins in the goal square?
Counting free kicks is a very blunt tool for measuring umpire bias. Thereโ€™s those issues, then the times they pay advantage but it still counts as a free even if play doesnโ€™t stop. Thereโ€™s marks that are paid or not paid and myriad other things that they do that affect the game.

The first goal they kicked when the ball bounced into Elliottโ€™s hands wonโ€™t turn up in any free kick stats.
I totally agree - and on the drive in to work this morning - only one person said it was poorly umpired - so I would imagine if the free kick count being so lopsided was unwarranted there would have been lots of angst.

โ€œYouth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.โ€

โ€• Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 8:49am Leigh Fisher, great Saints man, always looks after us!

We got looked after by the umps last year by a record margin, this year is shaping up the same!

No one made me look silly. Your petty personal attacks make you look stupid. Great to see Membrey back he is very important to our side seems you have an issue with him playing.

As for the umpires they were ok not great it's amazing how you can't lose when you get free kicks.

shrodes
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 9:28am
The_Dud wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 8:49am Leigh Fisher, great Saints man, always looks after us!

No one made me look silly. Your petty personal attacks make you look stupid. Great to see Membrey back he is very important to our side seems you have an issue with him playing.
Any time you talk about Membrey it should be reminded you posted this about one of our players who has mental health issues.
CURLY wrote: โ†‘ Selfish
https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic ... 6#p2030176

and
CURLY wrote: โ†‘ Wonโ€™t play for us again.

His selfish act has cost us.
https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic ... 9#p2030339

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 9:40am

Any time you talk about Membrey it should be reminded you posted this about one of our players who has mental health issues.
Yeah of course. Stand by what I posted.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

As for the umpires they were ok not great it's amazing how you can't lose when you get free kicks.
Check our match v Port last year.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 9:42am

You standby that ? :shock:

AuckSaint
Club Player

A couple of reasons we won the frees
1. We were first to the ball most of the night
2. Pies tackling was poor (and mostly high)
3. Often late illegal spoils of what would have been marks anyway
I did enjoy 3 x umps watching carefully Higgin's last goal and keeping their whistles in their pockets....

1 of the 10,000 NZ Saints members
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

AuckSaint wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 11:28am A couple of reasons we won the frees
I did enjoy 3 x umps watching carefully Higgin's last goal and keeping their whistles in their pockets....
It is point 3 that annoys me - it is technically a free - but there is not benefit to the team - so - if every mark that the opposition takes you chop the arms (and assuming there is a square up in the free kick count that everyone talks about) you stand to benefit later in the game.

โ€• Aristophanes

shrodes
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 11:55am
AuckSaint wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 11:28am A couple of reasons we won the frees
It is point 3 that annoys me - it is technically a free - but there is not benefit to the team - so - if every mark that the opposition takes you chop the arms (and assuming there is a square up in the free kick count that everyone talks about) you stand to benefit later in the game.
The benefit to chopping the arms is you knock the ball loose which is time for the rest of the team to push back defensively, vs. a mark which can have a quick play on by hand or by foot. Just one of many "professional free kick"s in today's game

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 12:01pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 11:55am
The benefit to chopping the arms is you knock the ball loose which is time for the rest of the team to push back defensively, vs. a mark which can have a quick play on by hand or by foot. Just one of many "professional free kick"s in today's game
I know why it is done - my point is that the opposition gets a +1 on the free kick count - and unless you are doing the same thing it causes an imbalance in the 'count' which miraculously seems in the majority of cases to even up.

โ€• Aristophanes

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 11:21am
CURLY wrote: โ†‘Fri 22 Mar 2024 9:42am

You standby that ? :shock:
Correct

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

True, no one made you look silly, you do that all on your own :D

Whether itโ€™s your clueless umpiring takes, or claiming youโ€™re an ITK who knows the truth about Membrey, labelling him selfish and declaring a number of times heโ€™ll never play for the club again, you are truly the laughing stock of this place!

Everytime Membrey runs out on the ground, or kicks a goal, or his mates get around him, must be a dagger through your heart.

At least it gives you something else to spit your dummy out about at home while watching :D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.