Roma

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roma

Really good ruckman are important but midfielders are much more crucial IMO. Collingwood just won a flag with a battling ruckman they are not as important as elite midfielders.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Until you can clarify as what is so negative about my post, get off your high horse.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2024 8:03pm Until you can clarify as what is so negative about my post, get off your high horse.
You have a track record of negativity
this thread is about Roma and his ruck position.
Posters are putting up ideas and solutions to optimise our position

You’re offering is about Tom Hickey a player that our Club let go maybe prematurely

Maybe you really can’t see the negativity there. It is so ingrained in you.

If that doesn’t clarify what I meant then I don’t need to continue the conversation

B.M
Saintsational Legend

West Coast won premierships with Ryan Turnbull and Paul Harding in the ruck

Brisbane
Clarke Keating, Beau McDonald and Jamie Chatman - hardly elite

Jason Ball at Sydney

That useless Blake at Geelong

Yes, there have been good ones - and plenty of great ruckman have played in zero GFs - Ditterich is one!

Having a ruckman get 40 HOs and 10 possessions 3 marks
Or 20 HOs and 20 possessions 8 marks

I know which one I’d take

Competitive in the ruck and dominant around the ground

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2024 8:20pm
SydneySainter wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2024 8:03pm Until you can clarify as what is so negative about my post, get off your high horse.
You have a track record of negativity
this thread is about Roma and his ruck position.
Posters are putting up ideas and solutions to optimise our position

You’re offering is about Tom Hickey a player that our Club let go maybe prematurely

Maybe you really can’t see the negativity there. It is so ingrained in you.

If that doesn’t clarify what I meant then I don’t need to continue the conversation
I agree re: Hickey. Hence my comment about him being unfairly maligned. For all those who ridiculed him, it was never shared by me.

You’re jumping at shadows when I post now.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
spert
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2024 9:24am Hit outs are some what overrated. That said how many complete ruckmen are there in the league- centre square , around the ground and possessions. Considering there are on average maybe 25-30 centre sq ball ups it is a trade off to some extent and he wins some of these, so say it is 10 v 20 but Roma has 20 poss and 10 marks and kicks a goal or 2. Seems pretty good to me .
Roma is good around the ground, but he was tapping the ball to Geelong players advantage at the ball ups, and if they result in goals to them, then it's a problem. Paddy used to tap it down the throat of our players who could run out and set up goals, that's one big reason why we got into finals then as our mids looked a lot better.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2024 10:07pm
- Should we (heaven forbid) trade Roma (unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Paddy Ryder around anywhere)?
Surely you're not suggesting Arrivederci Roma????

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2024 3:36pm
older saint wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2024 9:24am Hit outs are some what overrated. That said how many complete ruckmen are there in the league- centre square , around the ground and possessions. Considering there are on average maybe 25-30 centre sq ball ups it is a trade off to some extent and he wins some of these, so say it is 10 v 20 but Roma has 20 poss and 10 marks and kicks a goal or 2. Seems pretty good to me .
Roma is good around the ground, but he was tapping the ball to Geelong players advantage at the ball ups, and if they result in goals to them, then it's a problem. Paddy used to tap it down the throat of our players who could run out and set up goals, that's one big reason why we got into finals then as our mids looked a lot better.
I also saw this and was wondering why nobody else made an issue of it

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Paddy Ryder was a decent ruckman

Overrated though

His numbers and B&F positioning in 3 years at StK suggest he was a handy player, the odd good game, pretty good centre tap ruckman. He wasn’t Polly Farmer though.

Marshall is far better imo

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Well, Roma lost the hit outs but won around the ground again tonight against his opponent. And we actually got some centre clearances so I don't know what the OP is on about. :)

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

24 possessions
11 clearances

Lost the HOs 47-13

Won the clearances Won the game

HO stat is overrated- almost insignificant

Saints58
Club Player

I know its only a short term solution but do we look at the mid season draft and see what ruckman are around the the state leagues.
There are some good players there we have had a great success with the mid season look at Sharman and heath is ok

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Marcus Windhager's centre clearance work had nothing to do with it of course. Centre clearances make a significant difference, previously, the problem being if Marshall doesn't follow-up in the middle, we lose the ball.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why would we need a state league ruckman if we have an almost AA ruckman?

We already have probably the best state league ruckman in Campbell.