Phillipou

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Phillipou

Pou is gunna be a slow burn .... he is just gunna take time but he will get there .... only 19 remember

Was a great snap goal from 50

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

His goal last night was a bit of a fluke, but it will give him a bit of encouragement.

I reckon Ross is focusing on teaching him positional play and he’s in a bit of a McQualter-style negating role ATM. He’s doing ok at it: he seemed to keep his position and tried hard to pressure his opponents.

The key question is going to be whether or not he can expand his game to include getting some more of the ball. That will depend to a certain extent on the style of game the opposition plays. The ball barely went near him last night. It won’t be like that every game.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Played a different role this week. Mostly forward.

Applied pressure and kicked a goal. Was a pass mark- all he needs at this stage.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yeah was missing for most of last night, I don't think a short run in the 2s would do him any harm, let him dominate a bit at a lower level and gain some confidence.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 8:46am Yeah was missing for most of last night, I don't think a short run in the 2s would do him any harm, let him dominate a bit at a lower level and gain some confidence.
He was pick 10, not pick 50. I fail to see just what his AFL level strengths are. He's too short for a key position player these days, too slow for any on ball role and too one sided for most other bit parts. He might make a backman although his tackling is poor at the moment but could improve. He reminds me of Aaron Siposs, someone who looked like a footballer but simply was not good enough. But Siposs went No 75 in the draft, not No 10. Perhaps Mattaes should start practising his punting.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 1:18pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 8:46am Yeah was missing for most of last night, I don't think a short run in the 2s would do him any harm, let him dominate a bit at a lower level and gain some confidence.
He was pick 10, not pick 50. I fail to see just what his AFL level strengths are. He's too short for a key position player these days, too slow for any on ball role and too one sided for most other bit parts. He might make a backman although his tackling is poor at the moment but could improve. He reminds me of Aaron Siposs, someone who looked like a footballer but simply was not good enough. But Siposs went No 75 in the draft, not No 10. Perhaps Mattaes should start practising his punting.
Worst post I think I've ever read on this site.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Saints58
Club Player

I love Phillipou and hope he is a long term player for us but I do have a few concerns he has not resigned and I know that he is in talks with the club but I wonder what is holding it up.

You would have thought he was a priority at this point I would even give him a 5 year contract to 2030 so the new Tassie team will not be able to poach him.
I hope the delay in signing is not that he is weighing up other offers from rival clubs it has happened before at other clubs that players leave early.

But I have looked at his body language this year and he is not as pumped as last year and I am worried he is not all that happy at the saints.

We dont hear much about his contract or were its at. But if he is happy at the saints just resign quickly the longer it goes the more I am worried.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 7:02am His goal last night was a bit of a fluke, but it will give him a bit of encouragement.

I reckon Ross is focusing on teaching him positional play and he’s in a bit of a McQualter-style negating role ATM. He’s doing ok at it: he seemed to keep his position and tried hard to pressure his opponents.

The key question is going to be whether or not he can expand his game to include getting some more of the ball. That will depend to a certain extent on the style of game the opposition plays. The ball barely went near him last night. It won’t be like that every game.
The goal might have been a bit of a fluke but how many players in the comp can snap a ball over their shoulder from 55 metres and get anywhere even close to the goal square?

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

That goal was no fluke. Ok, so he/ we were lucky it bounced and kept on going, however he fully intended the kick. Take a look at the way he bent the ball onto his foot before kicking it.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

When re signing, if you think you've got improvement in you then you hold off. There's no bargaining power for Philippou to be signing now.

String some dominating games together and demand twice as much. You have to back yourself in, and he will.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 1:36pm
That’s a big call. Especially coming from a bloke who labelled someone struggling with massive mental health issues the night before a game as selfish.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Apart from that goal I didn’t really notice him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 9:21pm Apart from that goal I didn’t really notice him.
He was a quiet achiever - slowly burning to something special. At the moment SOME of his handpasses don't find the target - but if you watch - there is nothing wasted - he does what he does knowing where it will go - and assuming people will run on to it.

He will get there - and when he does - watch out!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
repta
Club Player

The Pou is full of himself.
He has shown nothing. Therefore a 5 year contract at $1m a year is a long way off, which is what he would be expecting.

It would be good to get him doing more run with roles. Similar to Wyndy. Teach him the game and how to find the ball.
My concern is he is a slow outside player. Not tough or big enough for the inside. Doesn't have the killer instinct or yappiness for goal sneak.
AFL graveyard is full of talented players that couldn't find a niche.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

repta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 10:54pm The Pou is full of himself.
He has shown nothing. Therefore a 5 year contract at $1m a year is a long way off, which is what he would be expecting.

It would be good to get him doing more run with roles. Similar to Wyndy. Teach him the game and how to find the ball.
My concern is he is a slow outside player. Not tough or big enough for the inside. Doesn't have the killer instinct or yappiness for goal sneak.
AFL graveyard is full of talented players that couldn't find a niche.
Pathetic post.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

How many pressure acts did Pou get?
Just quietly...2nd highest behind Steele.

Pressure creates play...often turnover.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 9:08pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 1:36pm
That’s a big call. Especially coming from a bloke who labelled someone struggling with massive mental health issues the night before a game as selfish.
Correct about sine if what you posted. Like I’ve posted truth is a killer.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Given the pressure acts 2nd only to Steel ….hes being educated is my guess
Like others have said - Lyon knows we aren’t a genuine top 4 challenger right now….its about having the weapons when we do
I too have looked at Pou and not understood the hellabulooh (couldn’t stop sorry, cat in hat from childhood..)
But let’s assess him when he’s got a stronger core and can break some lines cause we already know he’s smart around goals…

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2024 12:57pm Given the pressure acts 2nd only to Steel ….hes being educated is my guess
Like others have said - Lyon knows we aren’t a genuine top 4 challenger right now….its about having the weapons when we do
Really? Can you read his mind. I doubt Lyon would think like that.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

RTB is aiming for the top four spot….i have no doubt

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2024 1:25pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2024 12:57pm Given the pressure acts 2nd only to Steel ….hes being educated is my guess
Really? Can you read his mind. I doubt Lyon would think like that.
I don’t think you need to read the coaches mind when he has repeatedly said we are a work in progress
I’m sure he’s not playing Pou cause he’s a nice kid…
Is it really that hard to work out they’re educating him??

“Yeah….nah””
King Max
Club Player

When he started last year he was incredibly good at getting to the front of the pack and marking. But that seems to have disappeared from his game now. Maybe it’s opponents working him out or maybe it’s different tactics from us.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2024 8:18am When he started last year he was incredibly good at getting to the front of the pack and marking. But that seems to have disappeared from his game now. Maybe it’s opponents working him out or maybe it’s different tactics from us.
I think different tactics - we started him as a forward - with the ball coming to him - now he seems to be the mid to extract and make things happen - and he usually able to start some good stuff.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2024 9:12am
King Max wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2024 8:18am When he started last year he was incredibly good at getting to the front of the pack and marking. But that seems to have disappeared from his game now. Maybe it’s opponents working him out or maybe it’s different tactics from us.
I think different tactics - we started him as a forward - with the ball coming to him - now he seems to be the mid to extract and make things happen - and he usually able to start some good stuff.
What? What good stuff? Seriously, he had 12 possessions 0 marks. He was involved in a couple of links of handballs and apart from a goal he kicked( after spilling the mark because he ducked his head) I saw nothing of real value that he did

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

One of the criticisms of Ross during his time towards the end at Freo was his style and method was causing the high injury rate, especially with the younger and less physically developed players.

All I'd be hoping for with regards to Pou is that if he needs a rest to get his hip right then the opportunity be taken with the view to the longer term.

I get the sense Ross does have it in him to learn and/or defer to others expertise in such matters.