Phillipou

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWiki
Club Player

Re: Phillipou

The execution parties can't wait to take a scalp or two.

This is the time for the coaching staff to spend their time on next week and I'm sure they are already, even before Saturday. We all saw what happened.

repta
Club Player

He needs time to develop.
If he does get a run in the midfield, I would suggest that it isnt against the warhorses.
He is still a kid and doesn't have the strength to match it with the best

Still think he has shades of Billings. Looks great, has potential, does a few good things .......
Billings never actually delivered.

I am very much hoping he doesnt gp down the same way.

He believes he is better than he is.

repta
Club Player

He needs time to develop.
If he does get a run in the midfield, I would suggest that it isnt against the warhorses.
He is still a kid and doesn't have the strength to match it with the best

Still think he has shades of Billings. Looks great, has potential, does a few good things .......
Billings never actually delivered.

I am very much hoping he doesnt gp down the same way.

He believes he is better than he is.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 8:04am
Scollop wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 2:14am We lost a game of footy and some people think the finger needs to be pointed at Mattaes instead of the senior players

I'd be starting threads on Crouch, Hill and Mason Wood before people criticise a 2nd year player.
Spot on.

Can you imagine the uproar from the same posters if our top ten draft pick was wasting his time playing in the VFL?

You'd think St Kilda supporters would be experts in patience, clearly not all.
Yep. Let’s just play him in the seniors where, to be frank, he was a liability on Saturday night and the last 6 games of 23 including the final we played. If it was good enough for NWM to play some games for Sandy in his first season , I’m not sure why Pou is exempt?

The kid is timid, how can people not see that?

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

We're about building a Premiership List. So we need to get 50 plus games into Phillipou (and Owens, Windhager etc) as quickly as possible. There is no utility in Phillipou playing VFL.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 11:40am We're about building a Premiership List. So we need to get 50 plus games into Phillipou (and Owens, Windhager etc) as quickly as possible. There is no utility in Phillipou playing VFL.
He doesn’t have to be in the best 5 each week for our team, but he does need to show something every week. Apart from kicking a goal he literally did nothing on Saturday night.

Every possession appeared rushed apart from a soft 10 metre mark he took from a field kick in defence where he kicked down the line.

If we’re going to stake everything on these kids, they need to perform to SOME level.

Windy did some important things in second half, as did Owens. Owens took some great marks but didn’t finish off his work, I can live with that for now.

Owens was showing far more than Pou at the same time of their careers and he plays a harder position

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 11:48am
Windy did some important things in second half, as did Owens. Owens took some great marks but didn’t finish off his work, I can live with that for now.
Windy caused some horrible turnovers too.
Owens only had 1 clearance...Pou had 3...Windy had 2 clearances.

Both Pou and Mich had 20 pressure acts. Owens GPS indicates he spent 70% of time in the forward half. Pou spent 85% in the back half

Pou kicked a goal. Owens didn't.

In other words... it's ok to criticise, but balance please.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 12:12pm

Both Pou and Mich had 20 pressure acts. Owens GPS indicates he spent 70% of time in the forward half. Pou spent 85% in the back half

There’s clearances and then there’s clearances. My eyes told me that apart from kicking a relatively simple snap goal Pou did nothing.

When he won the ball in traffic he panicked and tried to handpass to no one in Particular every time. If the statisticians are calling that a clearance well good luck to him

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 12:22pm

There’s clearances and then there’s clearances. My eyes told me that apart from kicking a relatively simple snap goal Pou did nothing.

When he won the ball in traffic he panicked and tried to handpass to no one in Particular every time. If the statisticians are calling that a clearance well good luck to him
I agree with you on the statisticians... can't get my head around a crap dribble kick from Crouch that goes to a 50/50 contest just 5m away, being counted as a clearance

NickyDal
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 12:25pm
Moods wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 12:22pm

I agree with you on the statisticians... can't get my head around a crap dribble kick from Crouch that goes to a 50/50 contest just 5m away, being counted as a clearance
It's a beautiful thing isn't it? :roll:

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 17 Mar 2024 4:18pm Currently one of the better options we have in there.

When Clark and Dow are back I'd expect him to spend more time forward rotating onto the ball.

For all the hysteria on here he only attended 7 centre bounces the following players attended more.

Marshall
Steele
Crouch
Ross
Henry

So the 5th in line for a midfield spot in a side that was missing

Clark
Dow

And had an underdone

Crouch
Ross

I for one think the club has never struck a better balance between developing players and being competitive. I'm thrilled to see Pou exposed to bull midfield opponents as he was yesterday. In the same way I'm happy Owens got to learn how difficult it is to perform when a team puts a player of the calibre of Stewart on him.

It's part of the journey- learn to appreciate where we're at.
Feckin spot on...best analogy of any situation I've read on here in a while.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

I'm interested in if BM still thinks no one is hanging the kid with a narrative which is being created based on opinion not fact.

"He thinks he is better than he is"

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I suppose we need to understand what various posters expectations are of a young second year top 10 draftee thrown into the midfield. Is he expected to perform as well as a Dangerfield or a Ross, somewhere in between? Has he had a breakout game we can benchmark or are judgements based on impossible standards. As far as I can see he competes hard, is a goer and has great skills, one being a left foot. Is he being maligned for not being fully grown or what. Perhaps the criticism is of the coaches ' strategy to develop Matheas not immediately creating a Fyfe, who I think took a while to grow and meet his potential.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why are you interested in me

Shift your focus to Phillipou

If he got dropped to the VFL those same apologists defending his continued selection would be calling it a master stroke

If Ross Lyon took a dump in a bowl they’d call it chocolate ice cream

The whole RTB narrative will come under extreme scrutiny come Round 8
By the very people who say In Ross we Trust

Fickle indeed

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

In Rod I trust.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 4:14pm I suppose we need to understand what various posters expectations are of a young second year top 10 draftee thrown into the midfield. Is he expected to perform as well as a Dangerfield or a Ross, somewhere in between? Has he had a breakout game we can benchmark or are judgements based on impossible standards. As far as I can see he competes hard, is a goer and has great skills, one being a left foot. Is he being maligned for not being fully grown or what. Perhaps the criticism is of the coaches ' strategy to develop Matheas not immediately creating a Fyfe, who I think took a while to grow and meet his potential.
He hasn’t had a breakout game in 24 games. In my opinion he is not a goer nor does he compete hard. His skills are standard AFL. The excitement, as far as I can tell, is that he’s tall, and potentially a big body who can potentially take a big mark. His kicking isn’t laser like but it can be long

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 4:30pm Why are you interested in me

Shift your focus to Phillipou

If he got dropped to the VFL those same apologists defending his continued selection would be calling it a master stroke

If Ross Lyon took a dump in a bowl they’d call it chocolate ice cream

The whole RTB narrative will come under extreme scrutiny come Round 8
By the very people who say In Ross we Trust

Fickle indeed
Because you are the one who said.

"No one is hanging the kid"

Although reading this post it becomes clear your target is not Pou but he is a proxy to critique RL.

Not sure anyone has claimed RL is perfect. It seems yet again another narrative in your own mind.

As mentioned earlier in this thread- he was used less than any other mid bar Crouch and we have unavailability. Outside of the (reasonable) suggestion Pou and Owens switch roles I'm not sure what other options were available to pur coaches this week?

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 5:26pm
Yorkeys wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 4:14pm
He hasn’t had a breakout game in 24 games. In my opinion he is not a goer nor does he compete hard. His skills are standard AFL. The excitement, as far as I can tell, is that he’s tall, and potentially a big body who can potentially take a big mark. His kicking isn’t laser like but it can be long
What's your point?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 7:18pm
Moods wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 5:26pm
Yorkeys wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 4:14pm
What's your point?
I'm replying to your post.

As far as I can see he competes hard, is a goer and has great skills, one being a left foot. Is he being maligned for not being fully grown or what. Perhaps the criticism is of the coaches ' strategy to develop Matheas not immediately creating a Fyfe, who I think took a while to grow and meet his potential.

You are musing as to why he's copping criticism. I'm saying that all the qualities you claim he possesses, I simply can't see. In fact I think he's the opposite of a player who competes hard. What I've seen on the field (not training) is a kid who is not competing hard or having a go.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I am calling out Lyon

He picked him all of last season

He played him in the centre square

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what all the fuss is about, don't panic, Ross has a magic wand and will turn all of our players into A graders and Elite types.

Just relax, come back in 2026.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross isn’t perfect

He just has a magic wand and turns players into elite players

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Ross has a magic wand

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Pou has definitely been over hyped.

Where did the Bont thing come from ie Bont compares himself to Pou and not the other way around.

Was it Mathias? Cringeworthy.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he should wave that wand at Phillipou