Phillipou

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Re: Phillipou

meher baba wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 7:02am His goal last night was a bit of a fluke, but it will give him a bit of encouragement.

I reckon Ross is focusing on teaching him positional play and he’s in a bit of a McQualter-style negating role ATM. He’s doing ok at it: he seemed to keep his position and tried hard to pressure his opponents.

The key question is going to be whether or not he can expand his game to include getting some more of the ball. That will depend to a certain extent on the style of game the opposition plays. The ball barely went near him last night. It won’t be like that every game.
Wouldn't say it was a fluke. I think he knew he had the leg, even with a checkside, to land the ball in the goal square. Then it was a three way bet, it bounces through, Owens gets it and goals or worst case scenario, we got a stoppage close to goal. The best option eventuated. It was deliberate.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 8:43pm When re signing, if you think you've got improvement in you then you hold off. There's no bargaining power for Philippou to be signing now.

String some dominating games together and demand twice as much. You have to back yourself in, and he will.
That's how Freo lost Henry, something they're going to regret.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Phillipou will be a gun, I have no doubt. Our objective is to build a Premiership list. So you get him to 50 games as quick as you can by playing him. He'll learn more and quickly, playing at AFL level rather than the VFL. The same applies to Darcy Wilson. There is no skill issue, workrate issue or confidence issue. He needs to get used to the physicality and speed of playing against men at the highest level. He's still got a kid's body, a big kid, but a kid's body.

He's obviously cut it on the training track or Ross wouldn't play him. So it will come as he learns.

saintbob
SS Life Member

With Wood being injured it could be an opportunity for Pou to play on the wing, get up amongst the play and use him as a link man.

loris
Saintsational Legend

I can’t see Phillipou playing the wing. To me he looks rather slow when he runs, looks like he’s dragging his feet out of mud. Doubt if he’d have the endurance to do all the gut running the modern day winger requires. I’ve never noticed him get out of a trot, even when he’s attempting to chase a player. He certainly doesn’t glide over the ground. Gliding for the occasional mark is his go!!!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2024 5:32pm I can’t see Phillipou playing the wing. To me he looks rather slow when he runs, looks like he’s dragging his feet out of mud. Doubt if he’d have the endurance to do all the gut running the modern day winger requires. I’ve never noticed him get out of a trot, even when he’s attempting to chase a player. He certainly doesn’t glide over the ground. Gliding for the occasional mark is his go!!!
Agree re observation being slow like he's dragging his feet out of mud.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about Speed

But aerobically he tests near top 5 at the club

So he certainly has the tank

Wing is about repeat speed efforts - he is well off Hill, Byrnes, Wood, Wilson, Henry and Jones in that regard

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I find the lack of news about contract signing a tad concerning…we are showing faith….playing him…coach loves him …I don’t get the hold up

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2024 10:30am I find the lack of news about contract signing a tad concerning…we are showing faith….playing him…coach loves him …I don’t get the hold up
We went through the same thing with NWM -

Second year, players typically want to establish themselves a little more to up their contract. Can’t say I’m all that worried about

Moods
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2024 10:51am
Teflon wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2024 10:30am I find the lack of news about contract signing a tad concerning…we are showing faith….playing him…coach loves him …I don’t get the hold up

Second year, players typically want to establish themselves a little more to up their contract. Can’t say I’m all that worried about
That would take the cake if we got played . If after a couple of years , he finally starts to show the form that we were hoping , and then he takes off back to Adelaide . Hard for us to complain too much though , because this is exactly what happened with Henry

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2024 10:54am
skeptic wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2024 10:51am

That would take the cake if we got played . If after a couple of years , he finally starts to show the form that we were hoping , and then he takes off back to Adelaide . Hard for us to complain too much though , because this is exactly what happened with Henry
If that eventuates it’s about negotiations….id rather contract then IF mid point he’s making noises about Adelaide do the deal get 2 top picks ….prefer him to commit of course but he strikes me as a bit of a solo character (dad helping that) so he’ll do what he wants/fits him best (as he should) but so should we..

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t know why… but my sense of him, gut if you will, he seems very committed to us and we seem to be treating him pretty well

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I dare say the hold up is that he’s getting an enormous offer or two from across the border.

You’d think Adelaide in particular would offer him the world.

Unfortunately, we’re almost certainly going to have to overpay him pretty significantly on any future contracts with us, given how much the Adelaide clubs will be throwing at him if he goes well.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bottom line, if someone wants to leave for a better dollar nothing we can do and do we want to keep them ?

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

If I were Phillipou and his Manager, I'd wait. If he goes up a level during the season, then he gets a better contract. Phillipou does strike me as the type of person who would back himself to do precisely that.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2024 1:40pm I don’t know why… but my sense of him, gut if you will, he seems very committed to us and we seem to be treating him pretty well
If he is not committed - he hides it well - he has a certain thing when talking to him about his future in RW&B

No guarantees in life though

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2024 2:37pm
If I were Phillipou and his Manager, I'd wait. If he goes up a level during the season, then he gets a better contract. Phillipou does strike me as the type of person who would back himself to do precisely that.
Yep but also add the context.

NWM value at the beginning of last year to the middle-end when he signed shot up considerably - he’d have seen that and like you said, backed himself in

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He said from.the very beginning he didn't want to play in Adelaide.
He said he wants to be a one club player.
If we make finals he will have two campaigns under his belt and will want a flag with us.
He wants to do what other players couldn't.
I'm confident he won't be going anywhere.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Poo is less than two weeks older that Arie. He is still very young at only 19 years, 3 months, and bodywise he has a long way to go. Most young players do not arrive as physical beasts like say Windy has. Bodywise he is still quite boyish.

I would tend to believe that only from next season we will get a true indication of how good Poo will/may be. And also what role he may end up being best suited to. He sure has talent though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Hope he stays
I like a good poo

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

If it's possible to parse a guy to finis we can do it.
Getting silly isn't it.
What we need is draft player, add water, instant champ expectations. Not.