Phillipou

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: Phillipou

B.M wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2024 11:14am I reckon he has a decent ceiling

But right here, right now

He’s struggling

12 possesses as a centre square mid

Barely touched it in prac games

His last 10 games in 2023 were very average

What suggests he should be starting in the centre square?

I hope he becomes great - quickly - but he certainly isn’t yet!

False narrative.

As has been mentioned numerous times he spent less time both on the ground and at centre bounces than any other mid.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2024 11:16am He has been gifted games on potential

As probably Goddard was in his first couple of seasons- but Goddard was clearly a better player - playing in a much better team that was capable of carrying 1 or 2 players
How do we know this? It may be likely, but it is not yet clear as Pou is only just starting his career.

In fact- statistically at the same age- they are on par. Despite Goddard joining a team that was more capable of supporting him.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I see some similarities with his situation and Nas in his second year. Nas clearly has talent but he had some major deficiencies in his game in his first year, but once he re-signed he seemed to be so much more confident and assured. His future has more clarity and he could just focus on his footy. I wonder if a contract extension could yield similar benefits for Pou.

Saints58
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 9:50pm https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 023&type=A

Goddard at age 18 (in his first season) versus Phillipou last year.

The glaring difference for me is that Mattaes played 24 games. In my opinion it was a mistake for the short term however the club is desperate to ensure we retain him long term. If that meant he and his management and his parents were happier for him to be in the seniors each week, then so be it

And...low and behold

Look at what happened with Goddard's second year...😜😄😉

We played him for 24 games even though he was averaging 12.5 touches per game

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=S&type=A

He is still yet to resign the only player in Last years to 10 to do so.
This makes me nervous I am not a fan of long term deals but with Phillipou I think we make a exception give him a 5 year deal other wise teams will be sniffing around again soon.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Pou being questioned hard...

I recall another unlikely hero...questioned, even doubted in his first season for Jerusalem Chippies...but lo & behold he nailed it & became the world champion...Jesus Christ :)

So lets have a little faith in Pou, eh?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2024 8:32pm Pou being questioned hard...

I recall another unlikely hero...questioned, even doubted in his first season for Jerusalem Chippies...but lo & behold he nailed it & became the world champion...Jesus Christ :)

So lets have a little faith in Pou, eh?
That's right

I remember a bloke in the 80's got kicked out of his first club at Hawthorn ...and then...at his second club, people were calling him God!!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I personally think that ppl are just sick of the kid being gifted games every week when clearly he's struggling. I've said this often, you don't have to be in the best but you have to show that you're footy is progressing to some degree. What we are questioning is, why is he constantly getting games in the seniors?

My own personal view, which I concede is a ridiculously early call, is I am doubting whether this kid is going to be as good as what we were promised. My primary reason for that is that he shows zero intensity or aggression at the ball or the man with the ball. When a young Mitch Owens debuted for the Saints Rd 1 2022, he ran around like a headless chook smashing into players left right and centre, but he was aggressive. He just needed some direction as to how to find the ball. He STILL needs that direction. Same with Windy. But the basic tools for AFL footy were/are there. Without aggression you have nothing in AFL and won't last.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

He was the youngest player in the competition last year. His form in the first 2/3 of the year was punctuated with highlights that caused all the excitement.

I agree, he dropped away in the latter third of the season, but I put that down to fatigue and the opposition putting more work into him.

For goodness sake, give the kid a break. If you can't see his star like potential, then don't apply for a job as a recruiting scout for the club.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Pou is a talented, motivated young fella, and the club just needs to make sure they use his skills correctly so he can develop. I think midfield experiment isn't working, but keep trying guys.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The issue is that experimenting is done at Sandy not in the seniors if you are serious about winning games.
If we have no expectations of performance this year and wins are not important then fine, eyes to next year and play the kids.
However, if the plan is to win every game then Pou should either be at Sandy playing in the midfield or if in the Seniors needs to be a HFF where he at least looks semi-comfortable.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2024 11:43am The issue is that experimenting is done at Sandy not in the seniors if you are serious about winning games.
If we have no expectations of performance this year and wins are not important then fine, eyes to next year and play the kids.
However, if the plan is to win every game then Pou should either be at Sandy playing in the midfield or if in the Seniors needs to be a HFF where he at least looks semi-comfortable.
maybe RTB sees something we don't

In RTB I trust. (with the magic wand ) :)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Phillipou’s going to be a very good player, potentially a superstar, but at this point I’d prefer Owens in midfield. I think Owens can impact NOW.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2024 12:24pm
SinCitySainter wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2024 11:43am The issue is that experimenting is done at Sandy not in the seniors if you are serious about winning games.
maybe RTB sees something we don't

In RTB I trust. (with the magic wand ) :)
Precisely.
RTB wants a Cup thats a fact. I believe he knows we are 2-3 seasons from being there consistently.

He's said several times we've got young players & giving game time in the seniors is the fastest way to develop. This is seemingly the opposite of how he was last time.

Last game we had 10 players under 50 games on the field. That got me juiced up!

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Pou had another seemingly ok night, but lacking pizazz.
Looking at his stats the 21 pressure acts were 2nd only to Steele. Pretty important aspect of the mids game. Hope he keeps sharpening those skills, kicks a few goals for good measure.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Thought he was one of the lower ranked players - actually thought Wilson was better - on the back of 7 in the third.

Something is missing?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Thought he did ok tonight, played the right role. Should still take some stoppage work but happier to see him forward of the ball.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Had a close eye on him tonight …… keep playing him

repta
Club Player

He was ordinary tonight. Deer in headlights at times.
Windy and NMW were stand outs.
Looks list for long periods then appears again.

I am a big advocate for playing at the level you are at. He isn't in our top 22 at the moment. He needs to fund some ball to get his confidence.
I hope his ego can handle it. He probably needs a lesson, experience in not being up to standard. He will learn from it ... or he will fail. If he can't learn from it he will never reach his potential.

Has potential. Needs hunger.

It has been too easy up to now. Flown through under-age as best in class. Handed a cap and has never really earnt anything. It has come from raw talent alone.
Needs to understand it is tough business.
Only the hardest workers survive.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Definitely keep playing him

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2024 11:45pm Definitely keep playing him
Can I ask why? For mine his game was no different to last week, ineffectual and tbh, needs more aggression. Has lost confidence and needs to find it. His 1 wood should be his marking. Never see him run, jump and take marks anymore.

The other kids were all superb

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Of course you can ask
I personally don’t see any lack of confidence and the goal he kicked tonight proves it
I love the way he goes about it and I reckon he is getting better every game
If his numbers aren’t any better next week, I will put my hand up and say okay but I doubt it
As I have said, I have a lot of confidence in our coach and he has confidence in pou so I’m happy with that

Fanboy

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

He plays the hardest position on the field. He is not a focal point and our game style doesn't reward spread and not in the right spots for turnover. Either needs a tank and go genuine mid or get stronger for forward.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 12:43am Of course you can ask
I personally don’t see any lack of confidence and the goal he kicked tonight proves it
If his numbers aren’t any better next week, I will put my hand up and say okay but I doubt it
As I have said, I have a lot of confidence in our coach and he has confidence in pou so I’m happy with that

Fanboy
I threw my head back in frustration just prior to him kicking that goal. Not because he dropped the mark but because he ducked his head when trying to mark it.

Me and my mate pissed ourselves laughing when he gathered and kicked the goal straight after, but I’m not seeing anything from him. The other kids? Yes!

Wilson made some typical young kid mistakes but kept persevering and did some really important things as the game wore on

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if there is a bit of a Windhager thing going on here.

Most of us were miffed last year that after a strong finish to 2022, he wasn’t played in a traditional midfield role to win ball but still be a defensive tagger type. Both defence and offence.

The word from the ITKs was that he was getting a bit of an education in expanding his strengths/weapons. Maybe something like that is going on here with Pou.

He’s okay’ish to promising as a mid, with dangerous finishing ability but at this point he’s not showing the degree of output you want from him. I suspect that despite his hard work… he might not have the physical capabilities just yet. Perhaps that’s what they are attempting to fast track.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 12:48am
The Fireman wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2024 12:43am Of course you can ask

Fanboy
I threw my head back in frustration just prior to him kicking that goal. Not because he dropped the mark but because he ducked his head when trying to mark it.

Me and my mate pissed ourselves laughing when he gathered and kicked the goal straight after, but I’m not seeing anything from him. The other kids? Yes!

Wilson made some typical young kid mistakes but kept persevering and did some really important things as the game wore on
Let’s hope we can all continue to piss ourselves laughing :wink: