Phillipou

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Killa
Club Player

Re: Phillipou

Given all the opinions on here has anyone taken the time to listen to the Lyon post game interview - because THAT is the opinion which counts

And what Lyon said was brutal and honest

So the players (and the line coaches) are challenged accordingly

Noting also that Henry was the only St Kilda player to feature in the Coaches votes so supporting the Lyon narrative

So 2 from Lyon, 2 from the Geelong Coach or 1 from each?

We need to start with more of our better players playing better - and dragging the rest with them

Instead of putting blame with a kid who was under age last year - so if born a few days later now in his first season

Remember he came from the SANFL under age competition so has played all his footy against kids - not in the Senior competitions being the SANFL nor the Seconds at WWT

Knowing some who follow Melbourne, a few years into Petracca’s career he was being questioned

And they are now asking why we let Billings go

“Because we have others better who were keeping Billings out of the side - plus we recruited Henry and Wilson (or similar) so needed to make room for them to play

Hopefully I am proved correct!!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Good on you boys, put the boot into the lad.

I can't fault the coaches trying to fast track a top 10 pick. But you go for it.

Ross got us to the finals last year after years of nothing, but sure what has he done for us lately.

Miserable stuff, what do you want. Keep Seb on sub Matteus, make the guy apologise for what the press write, replace him with Jones that consistent performer, what?, or is it fun pulling wings off flys. The lad goes hard and doesn't squib it. He is 19.

Can't imagine what you think of Higgins performances.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 9:06pm The lad goes hard and doesn't squib it. He is 19.

This is where we disagree. He needs to be harder as far as I'm concerned. He is still a kid and sometimes that sort of thing doesn't come natural. I'm not sure why you think we're crucifying him because we want him to go back to Sandy? No-one is suggesting we should delist him at the end of the year. I'm just not sure why he gets a free go to play Seniors when his form isn't really justifying it though. Early draft selection shouldn't mean 50 consecutive games in the 1's.

At the end of the day we all want the same thing. You think the club long term is best served by him continually playing seniors, I think the player and the club would be best served if he went back to the magoos for a few weeks - not forever. Ross appears to agree with you. I'm a Ross fan and respect his footy brain. I truly hope I'm wrong. I would LOVE to have egg on my face this week and Pou gets 25 possessions and kicks 2-3 goals.

As for Higgins I thought his game was putrid on the weekend interspersed with a couple of very handy assists which will probably save him from the axe.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 8:45pm Maybe he should wave that wand at Phillipou
You're hilarious 🤣

He's 19

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Moods wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 9:24pm
Yorkeys wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 9:06pm The lad goes hard and doesn't squib it. He is 19.

This is where we disagree. He needs to be harder as far as I'm concerned. He is still a kid and sometimes that sort of thing doesn't come natural. I'm not sure why you think we're crucifying him because we want him to go back to Sandy? No-one is suggesting we should delist him at the end of the year. I'm just not sure why he gets a free go to play Seniors when his form isn't really justifying it though. Early draft selection shouldn't mean 50 consecutive games in the 1's.

At the end of the day we all want the same thing. You think the club long term is best served by him continually playing seniors, I think the player and the club would be best served if he went back to the magoos for a few weeks - not forever. Ross appears to agree with you. I'm a Ross fan and respect his footy brain. I truly hope I'm wrong. I would LOVE to have egg on my face this week and Pou gets 25 possessions and kicks 2-3 goals.

As for Higgins I thought his game was putrid on the weekend interspersed with a couple of very handy assists which will probably save him from the axe.

Because in this thread he has been called.

Soft
Arrogant
Lacking in strong traits
Cringe

And more.

People have suggested he shouldn't have been picked- yourself included- but haven't highlighted who should have played ahead of him bar 1 suggestion of Cammaniti (who is underdone and competing with Sharman for a spot)

The only constructive/reasonable suggestion I have heard in here is he and owens should flip their roles.

The rest is criticism of Ross, Pou or other supporters without any genuine alternative being offered.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 7:27pm ....I think he's the opposite of a player who competes hard. What I've seen on the field (not training) is a kid who is not competing hard or having a go.
I think he'll be as good as BJ

Do you remember the doubters who questioned Goddard's worth?

Goddard didn't have a break out game in his first 2 years did he?

13 possessions average per game 1st year and 12.5 second year.
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 18 Mar 2024 9:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

People questioned Lenny too early days....

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 023&type=A

Goddard at age 18 (in his first season) versus Phillipou last year.

The glaring difference for me is that Mattaes played 24 games. In my opinion it was a mistake for the short term however the club is desperate to ensure we retain him long term. If that meant he and his management and his parents were happier for him to be in the seniors each week, then so be it

And...low and behold

Look at what happened with Goddard's second year...😜😄😉

We played him for 24 games even though he was averaging 12.5 touches per game

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=S&type=A
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 18 Mar 2024 9:55pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 9:38pm People questioned Lenny too early days....
His attack on the ball was NEVER questioned. Maybe his speed was

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 9:36pm
Moods wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 7:27pm ....I think he's the opposite of a player who competes hard. What I've seen on the field (not training) is a kid who is not competing hard or having a go.
I think he'll be as good as BJ

Do you remember the doubters who questioned Goddard's worth?

Goddard didn't have a break out game in his first 2 years did he?

13 possessions average per game 1st year and 12.5 second year.
Yes. I remember. I personally think BJ’s skills are superior to Pous, but yes I recall there was plenty of doubt.

Not sure one correlates to the other though. But I agree, I hope his career is as good as BJ’s. If I recall BJ needed to develop some hard edge early on as well.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Moods wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 9:53pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 9:38pm People questioned Lenny too early days....
His attack on the ball was NEVER questioned. Maybe his speed was

At the same age.

Lenny averaged 11 touches and 1 tackle.
Pou 12 touches, a goal and 3 tackles

It's easy to look back with Rose coloured glasses.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Dal maybe the better comparison though.

In which case Pou has some catching to do.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

After a few days of thought, i'm ready to throw my opinion out here on Philippou.

Currently he is currently a bit of a deer in headlights, with a "see ball, get ball" attitude in tight. This means he's getting the ball in situations where he's already under the pump. This is historically what our midfield has been like over the past 10 years. We can get clearances but they aren't damaging.

The good news is that it doesn't lend itself to his natural ability.

Once he gets his movements right, is able to run both ways on his opponent, put himself in damaging position as first reciever, with some body size and momentum he will be that guy who breaks out of clearances and slots the lace out pass to Max inside 50.

Be patient, and trust in his development.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wasn’t he injured the last few weeks?

Swap him and Owens around and hopefully he’ll do better.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Goddard was pick 1 far superior talent, and in his first year he was only 17yo until May 2003. He was also a Wing/HB.

Phillipou tuned 18 in December being the youngest in his draft as drafting age rules have changed. But he turned 18 five months earlier than BJ

He doesn’t have the pure ability of Goddard. Nor does he have the footy iq

Goddard was easily the best teenager in the country in 2002
Phillipou was pick 10

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2024 6:49pm Goddard was pick 1 far superior talent, and in his first year he was only 17yo until May 2003. He was also a Wing/HB.

Phillipou tuned 18 in December being the youngest in his draft as drafting age rules have changed. But he turned 18 five months earlier than BJ

Phillipou was pick 10
So we trust football clubs to order kids who haven't played a game but not the coach that spends 30 hours a week with them after they are in the system?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

15 hours

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2024 6:49pm Goddard was pick 1 far superior talent, and in his first year he was only 17yo until May 2003. He was also a Wing/HB.

Phillipou was pick 10
Yadda yadda yadda...

Ok. You say BJ wasn't 18 in his first year. Use Goddard's second year in the AFL and compare it to Mattaes's first year

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 023&type=A

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Well??

What's the verdict?

Was it a mistake to play Goddard with such low averages?

Did GT stuff up St Kilda FC by playing Goddard for 24 games in 2004?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Goddard did not play in the midfield and spent a bit of time on the pine - it was in the days before constant rotations.

We had Hayes, Harvey, Thompson, Powell, Ball, Dal Santo, Black as the main ball winners

Goddard was a bit part player on a flank or wing at times

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The issue isn’t whether Phillipou is talented or going to be good

I think he has some obvious attributes that suggest he has potential

It is that he’s getting gifted opportunities when he is not good enough atm or was not good enough last season

In fact he was very ordinary to poor in the back end of last season. His final was putrid.

Last year he played 24 games - didn’t deserve to

This year he’s started in the centre square- doesn’t deserve to

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

But that's exactly what the 'arm chair' experts were saying back in Goddard's second year with us when GT played him in 24 games.

The stats from footywire are comparing Mattaes in 2023 (his first year with us on the list) and BJ's stats for his second year on an AFL list.

You're saying Goddard was a bit player. Well...so was Phillipou last year. Mattaes wasn't in the guts. He didn't rack up his numbers getting kicks from half back or a wing either.

The stats are comparable and they don't lie. They're not subjective.

It's far too early for you or anyone to be defining Mattaes's ceiling or his talent or his footy iq

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he has a decent ceiling

But right here, right now

He’s struggling

12 possesses as a centre square mid

Barely touched it in prac games

His last 10 games in 2023 were very average

What suggests he should be starting in the centre square?

I hope he becomes great - quickly - but he certainly isn’t yet!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He has been gifted games on potential

As probably Goddard was in his first couple of seasons- but Goddard was clearly a better player - playing in a much better team that was capable of carrying 1 or 2 players

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'd rather he is learning and growing with the likes of Windy, Owens, Nasiah and Wilson all in the same team...

The bigger picture is that we need to blood him and we need him to be at the Saints in 2025 and beyond.

And one day, possibly the Pou will be taking hangers in the dying minutes of a GF (because that's what he's capable of...similar to the great BJ 😉)...and helping the Sainters to a premiership. 🤞