Team structure was warped IMO

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Team structure was warped IMO

Cooper to Dempsey at half back was the game winning move and unfortunately… not for us. Coops spent the second half of last season cementing himself as a forward, was beaten soundly and within about 3min of being switched forward… did something I didn’t any other Saint do in the second half.
Put himself in the right spot to take a grab and kicked a set shot.

Owens instead played forward and had 2 shots in the second half… being lucky to sneak one in for a behind.

Windhager needs to be a midfielder. He is a decent kid and needs to play there… not whatever he was doing before 1/2 time.

Phillipou game is essentially suited to being in the DeGoey mould but he’s not ready to spend large periods of time in the middle and as a midfielder.
For now… he needs to be up forward pushing out rather than acting as a mid.

Collard as a sub was not a great choice… a debutant forward pocket coming on in the last quarter was an impossible task for him… and on a side note, though King nearly won us the game, he stuffed Collard twice

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Team structure was warped IMO

Why is it so hard to play Sharman as a forward???

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Crouch looked underdone. The worst game I've seen him play for us. That's what interrupted preseasons do to you

Phillipou in the midfield was something I was nervous about and he played exactly as I expected. He's got a lot to learn. He is more a Brendan Goddard type, but not quite the footy smarts yet.

I agree that Collard as sub was a mistake. But with 7 players out injured or suspended, there wasn't much in the cupboard. Jones would have been good, but is he fit yet?

Steele, Ross, Phillipou, and Crouch rotating through the stoppages is going to get you spanked by any team with quick midfielders.

We really missed Butler and Sinclair is irreplaceable

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Said during the pre season Members will keep Sharman and Cammers out of the side most of the season if he returns to his best. Mostly because Members is an absolute a gun forward and he proved that tonight, not so much because of the goals but he's just so good up the ground, him and Wood are similar like that.

I also expect it will be hard for Coops and Cammers once Hayes gets back in because on the topic of Structure, he is the type of player we desperately need in the side, a strong bodied mobile forward/Ruck.

Unfortunately for Coops and Sharman they are surplus to needs if Members and Hayes are fit and in form, and Coops is showing he really only can play a very specific role in the forward line which Unfortunately he's got players in front of him at selection. And Cammers will need a lot more time at Sandy as he's still very raw.

But they have time on their side.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2024 11:21pm Said during the pre season Members will keep Sharman and Cammers out of the side most of the season if he returns to his best. Mostly because Members is an absolute a gun forward and he proved that tonight, not so much because of the goals but he's just so good up the ground, him and Wood are similar like that.

I also expect it will be hard for Coops and Cammers once Hayes gets back in because on the topic of Structure, he is the type of player we desperately need in the side, a strong bodied mobile forward/Ruck.

Unfortunately for Coops and Sharman they are surplus to needs if Members and Hayes are fit and in form, and Coops is showing he really only can play a very specific role in the forward line which Unfortunately he's got players in front of him at selection. And Cammers will need a lot more time at Sandy as he's still very raw.

But they have time on their side.
Personally I think King, Coops and Members can all work together up forward… most likely one pushing up. Owens found his way down forward for stints tonight and Coops is a waaaaay better set shot. Got to figure out Owens’ best role too

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

If i'm coach for a day it's:

Higgins out
Garcia in - small defender or run with mid
Pou to the Higgins role
Owens to the midfield/stoppages
Sharman is a forward
Windhager is a stoppage/midfield player

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2024 11:46pm If i'm coach for a day it's:

Higgins out
Garcia in - small defender or run with mid
Pou to the Higgins role
Owens to the midfield/stoppages
Sharman is a forward
Windhager is a stoppage/midfield player
Don’t mind it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy Webster getting suspended hurt us a lot. He defends. Sinclair out also hurts because he also does a very good job defending. Bonner doesn't.

Maybe Arie would have been a better inclusion instead of Collard and maybe Crouch could have been the sub to come on in the second half if needed to replace one of the mids

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2024 11:42pm
Personally I think King, Coops and Members can all work together up forward… most likely one pushing up. Owens found his way down forward for stints tonight and Coops is a waaaaay better set shot. Got to figure out Owens’ best role too

Sharman should be one of our three marking forwards. King, Members and Sharman. Well if you want to win more games of football this season he should be.

The trouble is that they are also wanting to play Owens and Phillipou up front, and then also Higgins who often just plays as a small marking forward more often than not. That is too many "marking cooks" in the kitchen.

Higgins stunk in that role today. Though he was better when playing further up the ground.

Phillipou is getting his gig at present more on potential, rather than what he is actually delivering. Poo joined us as un underager, so compared to his "age" peers this is essentially his first season age wise. His form in the last third of year really was a bit ordinary, and did not justify him as a lock week in week out.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Our coaches had a whole year to assess each player.
Based on what they did on the field, I wonder whether they learned anything from last year

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We had one AFL standard onballer in the middle for most of the game. Carrying Pou at half forward is one thing but having him play the entire first half as a starting mid was a terrible decision if we're trying to win games and make finals this year. Windy and Owens would have been far more competitive in there. Crouch clearly wasn't ready and Seb is cooked.

Hopefully Sincs can come in against Collingwood and predominantly play mid. If fit, we need to play Jones as well.

King, Membrey and Sharman need to be our permanent three key forwards.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Yeah we look unbalanced last night, and moving Sharman around was pointless- he is a forward as is Pou who is not a natural midfielder. When you have a losing midfield, then it's hard for forwards really take on the game.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Did Coops start in the forward line and get moved to backline...again?

The problem with King Members and Cooper in the same forward line is they can't kick goals as a trio and they can't ruck which clearly is our structural weakness that desperately needs fixing. Members is still our best forward, King just lacks presence and is still doing dumb things, I just haven't been able to trust him this far in his career and this is the year we can't let him off the hook with the " he's still young" excuse.

No need for me to go into it too much as everyone knows I don't rate Coops, he's a one trick pony and looked all at sea once again. Unfortunately there's way more to mark and kick at AFL level. His lack of agility, defensive side and aggression or attack at the ball is really poor most of the time. If Cammers can develop he will overtake him quickly...sorry Skeppers.

So structurally speaking, we need a big bodied mobile forward ruck, they don't grow on trees, Hayes is our man if he can get his body right.

King, Hayes and Members.

Then play around with a Copper and Cammers as an extra tall to suit week to week needs but neither are starting 22 just yet.

Lennylegs
Club Player

Never thought I'd say this but we need Paddy Dow fit and playing. I can't see any other solution to helping out Steele at centre clearance. Hopefully he's not too far away.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I think the coaches hands were tied. Crouch wasn't fit, and Seb Ross is there by default at the moment. Once Dow, Clark, and Jones are fit they come into that midfield. Would have been very different if those three had played. They are all different players from the slow, vanilla mix we watched last night

Phillipou is a long way off being a full game mid. He should only be going in for 5 minutes here and there at this stage. He simply lacks the reaction time, the break away speed and physicality. As for Seb Ross, he'll need to provide a whole lot more. He'll be 31 in couple of months.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sharman was putrid

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He played the majority of the game forward, went back when Collard came on

Big Max
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Sun 17 Mar 2024 5:33am We had one AFL standard onballer in the middle for most of the game. Carrying Pou at half forward is one thing but having him play the entire first half as a starting mid was a terrible decision if we're trying to win games and make finals this year. Windy and Owens would have been far more competitive in there. Crouch clearly wasn't ready and Seb is cooked.

Hopefully Sincs can come in against Collingwood and predominantly play mid. If fit, we need to play Jones as well.

King, Membrey and Sharman need to be our permanent three key forwards.
Pretty much sums it up. One AFL standard midfielder is our glaring deficiency. Rowan Marshall was actually our 2nd AFL standard mid last night. Hopefully Paddy Dow is up to the standard, Owens also. Hunter Clark and Windhager other possibilities.

Not so sure about Sinclair as a permanent mid, rather leave him doing what he's good at. Like Hunter Clark, he probably doesn't have the body type for the hard contested stuff required, especially at stoppages.

Philipou, I feel, is a high half forward like Billings, and at this point not ready for the midfield.

Brad Crouch is an AFL standard mid, but not on last nights form. We can only hope he's better for the run. Sadly, I'm not confident that Seb Ross can return to AFL standard midfield form, hope I'm wrong.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 17 Mar 2024 10:17am He played the majority of the game forward, went back when Collard came on
Yeah that's what it looked like to me, point being Coops played a stinker up forward before being tried in the backline where his straight line running and jumping from behind at least has the potential to be of use.

Not comfortable with him being given the excuse he was played out of position.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I see - my apologies, I only saw the second half and he was down back until the final minutes

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

How can it not be (warped)?
The backline which is our strength was missing Sinclair, Howard, Webster and Paton. Fair outs for a seventh place team (in 2024).
Our midfield is missing Clark and Dow.
Forward line missing our best pressure forward in Butler.
Can't use injuries as an excuse because we have to turn over the list anyway and see what the younger players can do, but playing Sharman in defence is not the answer. he is a forward.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintWiki
Club Player

I thought Henry was a breath of fresh air as he demonstrated team orientation, whereas most of those closer to the sticks seem to be self centred on being the goal kicking hero. If I am correct in what I see, I hope some of the others catch the disease.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes, his debut for the club was very promising. He looks to be very creative and a real headache for the opposition.
Great pickup!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Sanctorum
Club Player

St Kilda's defence was uncharacteristically beaten in the first half last night and as I see it that was due to the absence of Jack Sinclair.

Zaine Cordy (8 possessions, 2 marks) had no impact and while his experience placed him ahead, I thought Arie Schoenmaker, following his 11 marks 2 weeks ago, would have been done a better job.

There were a few players who appeared to be a bit down on form, especially Brad Hill who had just 12 disposals, Crouch 15, Owens 11, Phillipou 12, Ross 10.

When you have your 'on ball' running players getting so few touches it's a wonder the Saints were still in the game right to the very end.

Apart from Tim Membrey (so good to see him do well!) the forward line lacked cohesion. Max King had a shocker making some really poor decisions and Higgins still has the yips, really frustrating to watch.

Cooper Sharman did quite well with 14 possessions including 6 marks (the same as Marshall) and showed by taking a strong grab in the goalmouth in the last quarter why he should play as key forward with King and Membrey.

St Kilda showed some promising signs in the second half that they can really turn it on when push comes to shove and with some tweaking in the game plan they have the talent to beat any team - but not quite yet on Kardinia Park!

I doubt the selectors will be making many unforced changes for the next game against Collingwood.

Schoenmaker to come in for Cordy, Sinclair if he's fit for Ross, otherwise Jones, that's all.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Sun 17 Mar 2024 11:14am I thought Henry was a breath of fresh air as he demonstrated team orientation, whereas most of those closer to the sticks seem to be self centred on being the goal kicking hero. If I am correct in what I see, I hope some of the others catch the disease.
The real big positive. He's a hunter for 4 quarters and is really creative with ball in hand. X factor with a big tick.