HS article 16/3 Naz

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

theoracle
Club Player

HS article 16/3 Naz

‘Pure footballer’: How Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera became one of St Kilda’s leading lights
As he enters his third season, St Kilda’s Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera speaks to MARK ROBINSON about his journey, his family, and his football.
Mark Robinson
Chief Football Writer
March 15, 2024 - 4:39PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera is an uncomplicated soul in a complicated game.
Just turned 21, he has “it”. All the accomplished Indigenous players have “it”.
The speed of mind amid effortless grace. An ability or presence, with ball in hand, to calm the chaos or create mayhem, all the while moving with a fluidity that seemingly renders the opposition in slow motion.
It’s also a work ethic. All the greats say talent is important, but attitude is more important.
Make no mistake, Wanganeen-Milera has all of the above.
Corey Enright, the half-back whisperer at St Kilda, says Milera “sees the game, reads the game, hits targets coming out of the defensive half, is a beautiful kick and a good decision-maker’’.
Plus “he’s got the skills to be able to execute those kicks more often than not (and) it’s one thing to see them, it’s another to hit them and he can do both”.
And, “you rarely see him flustered … he is a pure footballer’’.

Wanganeen-Milera – who likes to be called Naz – says Indigenous players are “pretty skilful, have a lot of natural instincts, are pretty gifted some, and have a lot of evasiveness”.
But for all his cultural identity, he’s just trying to do his role, which after a slashing second season, is poised to approach star status.
“The coaches make it pretty clear what our role is,’’ he said.
“Obviously I’ve got Corey Enright who I work closely with and he makes my role a lot clearer with my decision making. There’s a lot of training, mental visualisations, that helps me a lot.

“I’ve just got to trust myself. I’m not too much of a thinker on-field. I just try to get myself in the right position first and when I have the opportunity, I don’t hesitate and I back myself.’’
The elevation in performance from his first season to his second season, from playing wing to switching to halfback, was remarkable.
He arrived at Moorabbin from South Australia weighing 72kg and now weighs 79kg and stands 187cm. With Jack Sinclair, recruit Riley Bonner and great mate Marcus Windhager, the Saints have a formidable rebound brigade.
If Sinclair is redeployed to the midfield, as will happen at times, Wanganeen-Milera will become the controlling centrepiece of St Kilda’s defensive transition game.
Remember, he’s just turned 21.

Asked about Naz, St Kilda coach Ross Lyon said he was “incredible”.
“He’s so dedicated and so focused. His physical prep is strong, his mental prep is strong and he’s developing his off-field. Overall, I couldn’t be prouder – and he signed last year,” he said.
Homesickness in his first year was eradicated in his second, so much so that he signed the new deal in April 2023, tying him to the Saints until the end of 2025.
His long-term future looks assured. “Hopefully we win the second premiership and hopefully more,’’ he said. “I think we’re on the right path and it’s something I want to be part of.’’

FAMILY AND FOOTY
AFL. St Kilda’s Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (left) with Essendon’s Tex Wanganeen as youngsters. They are cousins. Picture: Supplied
AFL. St Kilda’s Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (left) with Essendon’s Tex Wanganeen as youngsters. They are cousins. Picture: Supplied
Stepfather Terry Milera, played 30 games for the Saints through the 2012-2014 seasons, meaning Lyon missed coaching him by one season, while AFL great Gavin Wanganeen is his uncle.
When asked what footy meant to him, Naz said: ‘It means a lot. In the family, it’s always been a little getaway from life. I’ve always got so much enjoyment out of it and it’s all I wanted to do since I was little kid, and it’s pretty special to be where I am.’’
His cousin and great mate, Tex Wanganeen, who is the son of Gavin and who is at Essendon, were inseparable growing up.

“Uncle Gav would come and pick us up from my house and take me to his house, and take me and Tex to the park and play marks up,’’ he said.
“He’d kick the ball to us from 50m and we’d play a mini game to get it back to him in the goals.
“We were four or five. We started off playing football in the lounge room, the goals were between the couches and I’m pretty sure our Nana has a video of us playing footy when were younger.’’

This idols were his stepdad, his uncle, Buddy Franklin, Cyril Rioli and Gary Ablett jnr.
“I never saw Uncle Gav play, only his highlights,’’ he said. “He was tough, put his body on the line and was skilful too.’’
Uncle Gavin was likewise complimentary. “He’s a great kick and likes to back himself hitting targets through the corridor,’’ he said of his nephew. “He’s growing in confidence with every game.’’

The childhood home was at Modbury North. His mobs are the Kokatha and Narungga people. Step dad, uncle Gavin and Uncle Aaron and Alwyn Davey were Kokatha and members of Narungga people include Adam Goodes and Michael O’Loughlin.
In what continues to be an Indigenous revolution, Wanganeen-Milera is one of six Indigenous players at St Kilda. The others are Bradley Hill, Liam Henry, Windhager, Lance Collard and Isaac Keeler.

Among the offices in the footy department at Moorabbin, there’s a room emblazoned with Yawa, meaning journey says Wanganeen-Milera, the contents of which celebrates the club’s Indigenous history.
The walls carry available photographs of every Indigenous player who has represented the club. His favourite is the one of his stepfather. His next favourite is a snap of the club record seven Indigenous players in the team for the Round 20 game against Hawthorn in 2022.
They were himself, Windhager, Hill, Jade Gresham, Paddy Ryder, Ben Long and Jarrod Lienert.
The number of Indigenous players in the league is reducing, which is an ongoing concern for the AFL. But the Saints are bucking that trend. “They change your club,’’ Lyon said proudly.
Wanganeen-Milera: “This room means a lot … the photos are pretty special. Those players paved the way for Indigenous players like myself to be part of the club. To acknowledge our people, I feel it every time I walk in.’’

ACTIVE AFL INDIGENOUS PLAYERS
Port Adelaide 7 – Jase Burgoyne, Jeremy Finlayson, Jason Horne-Francis, Lachie Jones, Quinton Narkle, Sam Powell-Pepper, Willie Rioli
Richmond 6 – Shai Bolton, Matt Coulthard, Rhyan Mansell, Marlion Pickett, Daniel Rioli, Maurice Rioli jnr
St Kilda 6 – Liam Henry, Bradley Hill, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Marcus Windhager, Lance Collard, Isaac Keeler
Gold Coast 6 – Jy Farrar, Joel Jeffrey, Lloyd Johnston, Sean Lemmens, Ben Long, Malcolm Rosas
West Coast 6 – Tyler Brockman, Jamaine Jones, Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan, Coen Livingstone, Tyrell Dewar
Western Bulldogs 4 – Liam Jones, Arthur Jones, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Ryley Sanders
Essendon 4 – Alwyn Davey jnr, Jayden Davey, Jade Gresham, Tex Wanganeen
Collingwood 4 – Bobby Hill, Ash Johnson, Nathan Kreuger, Josh Eyre
Geelong 4 – Brandon Parfitt, Tyson Stengle, Mitchell Edwards, Lawson Humphries
Carlton 3 – Jack Martin, Jesse Motlop, Zac Williams
Hawthorn 3 – Karl Amon, Jarman Impey, Chad Wingard
Brisbane Lions 3 – Callum Ah Chee, Charlie Cameron, Keidean Coleman
Sydney 3 – Indhi Kirk, Cooper Vickery, Joel Hamling
Melbourne 3 – Steven May, Shane McAdam, Kysaiah Pickett
Fremantle 3 – Alex Pearce, Michael Walters, Conrad Williams
North Melbourne 3 – Robert Hansen jnr, Jai Simpkin, Tarryn Thomas
Adelaide 2 – Wayne Milera, Izak Rankine
GWS Giants 2 – Toby Bedford, Harry Rowston

FUTURE IS NOW
Wanganeen-Milera, as Lyon says, is changing the Saints. He’s not alone. Henry, Windhager, Collard, Mattaes Phillipou, Hugo Garcia and Anthony Caminiti are among the new-era players.

A junior midfielder who had never played defence, it was Enright who snatched Wanganeen-Milera from the midfield at the start of the 2023 season. “I was pretty happy to go back, even though I’d never been there before,’’ he said.

So, what did Enright identify?
“You’re not always going to get it right,’’ Enright said. “It’s about pitching what you see on the field and where they are best suited. I saw his ability to see the game and move the game and that he would be better with the game in front of him.
“With the game and how it evolves, if you can counter off turnover and make really good decisions with the ball going back the other way, it helps your offence.
“He’s so often in the chain, whether it’s the first possession, whether it’s the second or third, he’s involved for us, and working closely with Sinclair they have become a damaging duo.
“He’s slotted in very well. He had a great year last year and just grew right in front of us. He realised what type of player he could become.’’
They all say Wanganeen-Milera has outstanding professionalism. He had a “few beers, but not a biggie’’ at his 21st birthday back in Adelaide in late February, and he says his attitude towards his preparation has been helped by housemate Mason Wood.

And the coach’s wise words always linger. “I’ve got a good balance outside of footy,’’ he said. “Ross always talks about the hard path and easy path. When you’ve got decisions to make and whether that’s going to help you or not. That always comes to mind.’’
Over summer, he was diligent on strengthening the frame and core so as not to be pushed off the ball.
“He doesn’t miss training,’’ Enright said. “And he’s aware he can take his game to another level. You tell him once, he picks it up straight away and implements it. He’s diligent with that, he understands his game well. No, he’s not going back to the wing. He’s found his spot. Hopefully he continues to grow and grow and I can’t wait to see what the finished product is like.’’

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: HS article 16/3 Naz

Jason Horne-Francis is indigenous?

Or is it because his step father is Fabian Francis?

BTW nice article on Naz

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Not enough is being made about how good Nas is. Maybe it's because he was so incredibly consistent rather than showing flashes like most second year players do. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in the AA squad this year. His first year was so-so but his second year was amazing. Gutsy and inspired selection from Toce. If he continues on this trajectory he may well end up with a few AA guernseys and a handful of B&F podium finishes.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2024 9:17am Jason Horne-Francis is indigenous?

Or is it because his step father is Fabian Francis?

BTW nice article on Naz
JHF, bulls*** indigenous.
We're all indigenous.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!