Tarryn Thomas, anyone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Re: Tarryn Thomas, anyone?

Sainternist wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:18am
The Fireman wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 9:14am sign on the dotted line son
Why are you sold on him? North Melbourne gave him umpteen chances and he kept being a POS. He has trouble written all over him. Far too risky and these types of risks have mainly backfired on us over history. There’s far better fish to go after than TT!
No risk no reward.

Where else do you get a ready made player in his prime years with top end talent as a DFA.

No outlay, little risk?
Or major risk to the harmony of the playing group?

From what I’ve read he was very popular with teammates and coaching staff, his issues (and from what I’ve read, they’re big ones) are off field.

Do we have the structure to deal with him and reap the rewards of his undoubted talent?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

When's he coming?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
66Iwasthere
Club Player

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NOOOO! Any person who treats women the way he does and then continues the behaviour despite education, warnings, suspensions etc does not deserve the luxury of an AFL career. I don’t care if he is talented he should not be rewarded, that only proves that the powers that be are condoning the behaviour.

ctqs
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2024 7:23am
Sainternist wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:18am
The Fireman wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 9:14am sign on the dotted line son
Why are you sold on him? North Melbourne gave him umpteen chances and he kept being a POS. He has trouble written all over him. Far too risky and these types of risks have mainly backfired on us over history. There’s far better fish to go after than TT!
No risk no reward.

Where else do you get a ready made player in his prime years with top end talent as a DFA.

No outlay, little risk?
Or major risk to the harmony of the playing group?

From what I’ve read he was very popular with teammates and coaching staff, his issues (and from what I’ve read, they’re big ones) are off field.

Do we have the structure to deal with him and reap the rewards of his undoubted talent?
Not true. I know someone who's the partner of a NM player. Thomas was despised.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
SaintWiki
Club Player

Our club has some good Aboriginal support networks and it would definitely be up them to decide whether they can and/or willing/able to provide such support. No random supporters, even if they are Aboriginal and/or have culturally appropriate counselling qualifications will be involved unless the club arrange it. I am sure the club will look at it and talk it over with the in-house networks if interested.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2024 9:57pm Lovett
Bennell

Lyon loves a failed experiment
Michael Gardiner

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2024 4:24pm
B.M wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2024 9:57pm Lovett
Bennell

Lyon loves a failed experiment
Michael Gardiner
Failed experiment? Michael Gardiner. While he had a poor injury run in his latter years and then also had some offield problems I do not think you could really say he was a failed experiment at the Eagles where he played 129 games and mainly had a pretty decent career.

Lyon certainly resurrected his career though and we got two good seasons out of him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rotten apples guys, rotten apples.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Think of all the occasions where wives and partners are at the club.

In the rooms post game.
At club functions.
At training.
Knowing his track record with women, how would the WAGs feel about being in the same room with him?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bozza1980
Club Player

I have no doubt that the club would be investigating the possibility, given the fact that 23 year old number 8 draft picks very rarely become available for free. They'd be negligent not to.

Given the nature of his particular off-field issues I personally would prefer we stay well away from him though.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Thomas the Teapot.

Good this speculation completely ignores the stress, trauma, humiliation, expenses and sleepless nights he caused the lady/ladies involved as well as wasting North and AFL resources. I'd like to think the Club has standards that preclude considering such a low life as a recruit. Not to mention we might like to take victims mental health seriously. He is lucky not to be in jail for extortion and making grievous threats.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Norf is a shyte stain of a club. Look at the way they mismanaged the whole Horne-Francis fiasco. TT's career and related troubles have coincided with Norf's worst period of mismanagement in more than 50 years.

They've tried to attract several big-name free agents in recent years, without success. Who'd want to be there?

Throw in the angry dwarf who suffers from a fruit salad of personality disorders and you have a recipe for disaster. They've mismanaged the TT situation like the incompetent rabble they are.

Watch them lose their young, early draft picks over the coming years, when those players realize there is a nutbag in charge and that they are going nowhere (except Tasmania, perhaps).

I'd back our cub to tame and modify TT's behavior and extract his as-yet unfulfilled potential. RTB and crew are the perfect men for the job.

And he comes for free. The only hurdles I can see would come from our sponsors not wanting to be seen endorsing his past behaviors and our women's team being uneasy about bringing him on board.

It's about time our club showed the rest of the competition and HQ, that we have a culture that's robust enough to handle this situation if we pick him up.

A gun player, coming into his prime, and desperately looking for the right environment where he can shine.

Exactly the type of explosive midfielder/high half-forward we've been crying out for. I can see him developing into Jordan De Goey 2.0, rather than Andrew Lovett 2.0. And I repeat, he'll come for free. Just do it, I say. You know it makes sense.

66Iwasthere
Club Player

It doesn’t make sense at all. The guy has already shown that he is not interested in changing his behaviour.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2024 3:17am
Exactly the type of explosive midfielder/high half-forward we've been crying out for. I can see him developing into Jordan De Goey 2.0, rather than Andrew Lovett 2.0. And I repeat, he'll come for free. Just do it, I say. You know it makes sense.
Kind of glad you said this as I was going to post a similar set of thoughts.

18 months ago DeGoey was the big name bandied around that seemingly suited all of our needs minus attitude/risk.

Would have been really handy last year, especially in September

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Don't want!
but then again I didn't want Degoey either,
and certainly didn't relish the second coming of the messiah!

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2024 5:16pm Rotten apples guys, rotten apples.
Unless you're making apple cider vinegar, one of nature's miracle foods😀😀😀!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

DeGoey is a gun and doesn’t belt women

Sanctorum
Club Player

From what is reported in the press about Tarryn Thomas' serious indiscretions all matters related to domestic violence.

It does not appear that any of these incidents, dreadful as they may be, has led to Thomas being charged with any criminal offence.

There is every likelihood that now he has been suspended for18 games and delisted by North Melbourne, Thomas will be engaging in some pretty serious counselling sessions this year to help him to reform and accept the imperative for him to henceforth treat women in his life with respect.

If this eventuates and he does bring his life back on track then in all probabilities Thomas will be seeking to resume his career in the AFL.

Thomas is rated by most commentators as an elite talent and at age 24 the 190cm midfielder is perfectly positioned to still become one of the best midfielders in the competition.

As such, I can see no reason why St Kilda, following exhaustive due diligence, should not seek to offer him a contract, obvously with strict behavourial conduct clauses.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 17 Mar 2024 10:21am DeGoey is a gun and doesn’t belt women
I don't think Thomas has actually belted women. I may be wrong, but I haven't heard that he has.

He threatened to upload nude pictures of an ex the first time and I haven't heard the specifics of the latest issue.

Uploading private pics of someone is of course a disgraceful act and deserves criminal sanctions. As should have applied to the infamous Kim Duthie.

It is indisputably an act of sexual abuse. However, if I recollect correctly, Thomas didn't upload the pictures, he threatened to. Still disgraceful but nowhere near as bad as actually doing it, certainly not as bad as belting a woman. We don't know what has specifically occurred in the most recent incident as far as I know. The AFL has suspended him for 18 weeks, not years or life, so how bad can it be?

He's worth considering. I'd want to know the specifics of the latest issue and ascertain whether he's willing to have a genuine crack at redeeming himself. Ross would be a good judge of that. The investment would be a 1 year deal at minimum wage, so low risk. The comparisons to DeGoey are not far fetched.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Noted but the point I’m making is that you can’t get a potential unicorn without paying through the teeth unless there’s a downside.

DeGeoy was an elite talent
Impact winner type that could turn a game in a second
Came as a free agent
Salary cap wouldn’t have been blown out of the park

But he came with the downside of high media attention and high potential for further indiscretions.

Risk was there. Many here thought it was too high but how else can you get players like this without paying through the teeth.
TT comes cheap, potentially elite (so they say) but also high risk of indiscretion. This is the nature of these type of risks

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Grabs their breasts...but a quick payout and all sexual assault charges disappear! Still worth a gamble if he was willing to deal with the behaviours ( I read he agreed to see a psychiatrist regarding the NYC night club assault...he does seem more settled).

B.M
Saintsational Legend

DeGoey is a premiership player

Thomas is delisted

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bump

Reported on Footy Classified that Geelong are looking at recruiting him

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2024- ... f9da507d42

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

DeGoey might have helped us win a final, but no more.

Thomas is not that good, and also not worth the risk. You need a critical mass of 'good influences' in the club to counteract a small amount of bad.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 12:29am Bump

Reported on Footy Classified that Geelong are looking at recruiting him

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2024- ... f9da507d42
They are more than welcome to him.