Membrey tells his story

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

King Max
Club Player

Membrey tells his story

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Membrey tells his story

All the best for a great season Tim! I hope you get a premiership medallion young fella!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

There is obviously still significant stigma associated with being mentally unwell, unfortunately.
Fear/embarrassment seems to have stopped Tim from getting help earlier and declaring himself unfit.
In the interview, which was a mightily courageous thing to do, he, the interviewer and editor still skirt around what the health issue was, but I acknowledge its none of my business.
However I think it's notable they do the piece but speak around the elephant rather than putting a name to it. So maybe they are conscious that the stigma thing is still strong. Very sad. I presume Tim suffered from stress induced depression. A terrible condition, obviously.
Our club is a champion of mental health and purports to provide knowledge about seeking professional help and a safe place but it seems whatever that education program and cultural aspiration it missed the mark last year. I wish Tim all the best, hope he is getting the right treatment and the club adjusts it's program in light of Tim's case.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Well done Tim, extremely brave interview.

Some of the comments on here at the time of the GWS final regarding Tim were beyond disgusting, truly the lowest this place has sunk.

A self proclaimed ITK even claimed he knew the real story and Tim would never play for the club again due to his "selfishness", and they double and tripled down on this claim when challenged.

They still haven't put their hand up and owned up to these comments.

They, and everyone else who shared these thoughts, should give themselves an uppercut when he runs out for us in round 1.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2024 9:46am Well done Tim, extremely brave interview.

Some of the comments on here at the time of the GWS final regarding Tim were beyond disgusting, truly the lowest this place has sunk.

A self proclaimed ITK even claimed he knew the real story and Tim would never play for the club again due to his "selfishness", and they double and tripled down on this claim when challenged.

They, and everyone else who shared these thoughts, should give themselves an uppercut when he runs out for us in round 1.
No issue here I said and I stand by it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of the reason for the decision Tim made, which lead to him not taking part in the final last year, the stigma lies with the person wanting an explanation, not Tim.

Life leads you to experiences, expectations lead you stigma.

Stigma is the name of it, there is no elephant in the room, that's the whole point. Facing his issues is his recovery. Avoiding them is stigma.

There is a huge perception of stigma attached to being the Prime Minister of Australia, as there is with a single mother trying to raise her kids alone in a low socio economical environment, a drug addict trying to recover or a unemployed man trying to support and raise his family.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Onwards and upwards Tim

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2024 10:25am Regardless of the reason for the decision Tim made, which lead to him not taking part in the final last year, the stigma lies with the person wanting an explanation, not Tim.

Stigma is the name of it, there is no elephant in the room, that's the whole point. Facing his issues is his recovery. Avoiding them is stigma.

There is a huge perception of stigma attached to being the Prime Minister of Australia, as there is with a single mother trying to raise her kids alone in a low socio economical environment, a drug addict trying to recover or a unemployed man trying to support and raise his family.
The reason now seems clear. And I think your characterisation of the stigma associated with mental health illness is incorrect. It is a terrible cultural issue that requires a lot more education. I think.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2024 11:09am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2024 10:25am Regardless of the reason for the decision Tim made, which lead to him not taking part in the final last year, the stigma lies with the person wanting an explanation, not Tim.

The reason now seems clear. And I think your characterisation of the stigma associated with mental health illness is incorrect. It is a terrible cultural issue that requires a lot more education. I think.
The reason seems clear?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2024 10:22am

Solid self assurance Curly. I admire your bravery and completely disregard your input.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2024 12:43pm

Solid self assurance Curly. I admire your bravery and completely disregard your input.
Honestly I don't give two f****.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2024 12:49pm

We know. It's clear in your statement. You arent suffering stigma and thats great. Do you have anything new to add?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2024 12:54pm

We know. It's clear in your statement. You arent suffering stigma and thats great. Do you have anything new to add?
If I could I would.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2024 12:58pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2024 12:54pm

If I could I would.
Now you fear stigma. That's a bit selfish.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The stigma of conformity is the fabric of society. It's a mental health burden we all bear.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

In the article I read Tim said he didn't know what to do or where to go to seek help yet we had a newly built and functiining Mental Health facility on his work doorstep

Found it a bit strange .... or am I reading this wrong?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He didn't say much or how long he's been suffering with it. Seems strange that he didn't know how to seek help even though we have the Danny Frawley Centre.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2024 4:30pm In the article I read Tim said he didn't know what to do or where to go to seek help yet we had a newly built and functiining Mental Health facility on his work doorstep

If I had to guess,

Issue one could be that it can be a little uncomfortable to go somewhere too close to home. Do ppl see him use the services, then if the club has its own psychs is that an issue, will there be crossovers of information etc.

One can’t underestimate the value of trust and comfort in this process.

Secondly… if he has a specific problem that’s stressing him: let’s for example say there’s problems in the marriage (purely an example), he might think ‘well what can they say or do that will actually make a difference?’ If a pill or problem solving don’t solve it, he might have been stuck with a challenge he couldn’t deal with.

One of the big things with depression is that part of it actually is feeling completely alone and helpless… and this kind of mentality that your problems are more insurmountable than that of others

Moods
Saintsational Legend

What a sad comment. Sometimes with some issues it’s best to just zip it. For a bloke who appears as ridiculously one eyed as yourself, your comments are, at best, staggering. Unless you’re prepared to explain why you think he was selfish ( although I’m not sure we want to hear)

Apart from anything else you were completely wrong. The club supported him and he’s back playing with us, completely opposite of your prediction

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

I'm just glad Tim got the help he desperately needed at the time. So many people who suffer mental illnesses of all kinds refuse to seek help because of the stigma involved.

This effect is multiplied in magnitude by many times in people who are accomplished, high achievers, and of high intelligence.

Throw in the fact that his life is played out under the glaring spotlight that comes with plying your trade in the AFL, and you have a perfect storm for debilitating mental distress.

In the end, I'm just looking forward to having a fit and in form, Membrey tearing it up with Max, Cooper, Mitchito, snags, and the Pou up forward.

I don't believe many realize how important Membrey is when it comes to our capability of kicking winning scores. He also takes some of the heat away from Max.

Media deadbeats who predict we'll be "sliders" this year must have underestimated the adverse effects the loss of Membrey and King for long stretches last year had on us.

If we finished 6th after the 2023 home and away season, without these two and several others, we can only improve in 2024, with their return.

Finally, congratulations to Tim and all who helped in his recovery. Go Sainters!

diddley
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2024 4:30pm In the article I read Tim said he didn't know what to do or where to go to seek help yet we had a newly built and functiining Mental Health facility on his work doorstep

I know it seems logical when you look at it like that, but when you are in a hole like he obviously was, logic unfortunately doesn’t work.
I have a mate who was very pro people looking after their own mental health, and had helped others before. In fact his own partner had been seeking help. but he was drowning under his own expectations, and it blinded him from getting the help he needed. It took the third person in his life to get the message to him, before he did anything at all.
Hope this gives perspective on what is going through some peoples heads.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Sat 09 Mar 2024 6:48pm

I know it seems logical when you look at it like that, but when you are in a hole like he obviously was, logic unfortunately doesn’t work.
I have a mate who was very pro people looking after their own mental health, and had helped others before. In fact his own partner had been seeking help. but he was drowning under his own expectations, and it blinded him from getting the help he needed. It took the third person in his life to get the message to him, before he did anything at all.
Hope this gives perspective on what is going through some peoples heads.
He seems to have found clarity now and I am very happy for him and his family and friends. I hope he can express or answer that question as it would aid so many questioning their mental stability.