Webster appalling

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

realdeal
Club Player

Re: Webster appalling

And we're not appealing why?

If this is now the standard suspension for these kind of things then clubs are going to need more players on their list because we're going to have a number of players missing a 3rd of a season due to suspension..

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Can't believe he did it- didn't need to, wasn't tough and he can wear the bloody consequences.
i'm , still at this point

stupidity on a stick
whiteline fever or not

7 weeks where he cannot fulfil his role in moving us towards winning a second shiny cup

for what ?

it's just an utter effup imo

lose lose lose ... well done jimmy the goose

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

It's not about the AFL showing consistency going forward as they never ever will

It's all about who you are ... what team you play for ... where you are on the ladder.... and the time of the season

Always has ..... always will be

If anyone thinks a top line player would have got the same suspension then they have sh1t for brains

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Crossy66
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2024 8:26pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2024 6:59pm I literally have no respect for his intent or his intelligence. This will be his final year in St Kilda colours. No tears from me.
Wow. You are the type of Saint Kilda supporter I’d rather disassociate myself with.

Jimmy has been a stalwart ..fair and selfless..an honest slogger and to have a supporter describe him as above for me is just shitful .. the opposite to supporter

He f***ed up and will 6 but cannot wait till he gets back
+1

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Those who have set themselves up to be outraged and throw their toys out of the cot will. Everyone around AFL apart from a few St Kilda supporters can see the ban is appropriate. The only person to blame is Jimmy.

There was nothing accidental or tough about the hit, he lined him up and got him exactly how he wanted, now he has to cop his punishment.

The line in the sand has been drawn with SPP and Jimmy, it’s not like the AFL haven’t warned everyone.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 7:59am Those who have set themselves up to be outraged and throw their toys out of the cot will. Everyone around AFL apart from a few St Kilda supporters can see the ban is appropriate. The only person to blame is Jimmy.

There was nothing accidental or tough about the hit, he lined him up and got him exactly how he wanted, now he has to cop his punishment.

The line in the sand has been drawn with SPP and Jimmy, it’s not like the AFL haven’t warned everyone.
So you actually think the MRO will be consistent from now on ...... in the line with those 2 suspensions?

That's the thing with lines in the sand ... they can easily be erased without any evidence .... and drawn again .... and again ... and again

repta
Club Player

Rough. Essentially 8 weeks. Co e down because remorse and good history.

AFL needs to be consistent. There will be worse hits and similar ones this year.
Saints soft target at tribunal.
Stupid by Webster as it was a nothing practice run to ready for the new year.
Should really have been treated like an intraclub game.

Ridiculous that sort of action would be considered by any player o. The field

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 05 Mar 2024 6:52pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 11:06pm
samuraisaint wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2024 9:37pm

This one didn't get weeks.
Times have changed.

And Webster’s action was worse, lucky he didn’t cause more damage.
Times have changed - 2 years ago? Yeah, nah.

Worse? Really?? Last time I heard, Clark had his jaw broken. Pretty serious. How badly hurt is Simpkin?

I remember when this happened, the media was screaming 'Save The Bump' and when the transgressor got off, it was seen as a win for common sense.

I'm not saying Jimmy won't get weeks, but I'm also saying that there is a double standard at play.
This debate has been had, Mackay was clearly going for the ball and actually gets to it the same time as Clark, the collision was just an unfortunate accident between two blokes with their eyes on the ball.

That’s tough footy. Not even in the same ballpark as lining up and hitting a defenceless player late and high.

Jimmy will cop his punishment as he should and move on.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 05 Mar 2024 8:01pm Dont worry the teams will roll out the QC's and biomechanists and the AFL will bow to them.
KC's now

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Post Wed 06 Mar 2024 6:31am

Way more head trauma comes from non illegal acts.

Look at the 3 most recent retirements.due to head trauma in Mc Cartin Brayshaw and Murphy, hardly any of them came from illegal acts.

Concussions are the most common injury requiring hospitalisation and hardly any of them come from illegal acts.

https://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2 ... -injuries/

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Really dumb act by Webster but honestly couldn't give a s*** about Simpkin or North Melbourne. I hope the f*** off to Tasmania.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Do suspended players still receive contract payments? If no, 7 weeks is a fair financial hit.

NickyDal
Club Player

St Kilda should make a stand and ban Webster for the season!!!

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 3:31pm Do suspended players still receive contract payments? If no, 7 weeks is a fair financial hit.
Yeah that should solve the head trauma problem

Jimmy is probably the best product to come out of the club since the the 2010 era

Jimmy you did what you did and you now cop your whack but doesn’t diminish your contribution to the cause one millimetre.

So much respect and just a shame you were used up by the AFL machine.

Hang your head in shame Gerard Whateley you self righteous AFL puppet.

And for any Saints supporter that spewed hate on Jimmy this week…hand in your loyalty card.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 7:08pm
Yorkeys wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 3:31pm Do suspended players still receive contract payments? If no, 7 weeks is a fair financial hit.

Jimmy is probably the best product to come out of the club since the the 2010 era

Jimmy you did what you did and you now cop your whack but doesn’t diminish your contribution to the cause one millimetre.

And for any Saints supporter that spewed hate on Jimmy this week…hand in your loyalty card.
The righteousness of most in the media, including Gerard is really ironic. In Gerard's case he was interrupted while giving Jimmy a serve by a station promo that is played over and over 24 hrs a day - it blasts out in a loud 'tough man' voice: "It's not how hard you play, it's how much you can take and still move forward"

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Oh dear, Secret_Vortex is getting wound up again :lol:

Most concussions are caused by accidental hits (according to him) so let’s not punish the deliberate ones…

#logic

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 7:52pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 7:08pm

The righteousness of most in the media, including Gerard is really ironic. In Gerard's case he was interrupted while giving Jimmy a serve by a station promo that is played over and over 24 hrs a day - it blasts out in a loud 'tough man' voice: "It's not how hard you play, it's how much you can take and still move forward"
Not to mention the wall to wall pictures of long legged blonde girls adorning the walls of the fox studio he has to walk past on his way to to sit at the desk with his token indigenous co host to roll out line for line AFL propaganda night after night.

Gerard Whateley is absolutely despised by sports professionals for his relentless self righteous and self serving campaign against fine Australian cricketers.

His hate campaign on Jimmy should repulse every genuine St Kilda person to the core.

Gerard Whateley is scum dressed up as a self righteous religious zealot.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 8:40am

Times have changed.

Worse? Really?? Last time I heard, Clark had his jaw broken. Pretty serious. How badly hurt is Simpkin?

I remember when this happened, the media was screaming 'Save The Bump' and when the transgressor got off, it was seen as a win for common sense.

I'm not saying Jimmy won't get weeks, but I'm also saying that there is a double standard at play.
This debate has been had, Mackay was clearly going for the ball and actually gets to it the same time as Clark, the collision was just an unfortunate accident between two blokes with their eyes on the ball.

That’s tough footy. Not even in the same ballpark as lining up and hitting a defenceless player late and high.

Yet Hunter managed to avoid hitting Mackay in the head when going for the ball .... the same cant be said for Mackay who broke Hunter's jaw into several pieces

If competing for the ball you have a duty of care not to hit an opposing player in the head ..... pretty sure that's what the AFL keep telling us

saynta
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 3:44pm St Kilda should make a stand and ban Webster for the season!!!
What utter rubbish. However why am I not surprised.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2024 2:18am
The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 8:40am

Times have changed.

Yet Hunter managed to avoid hitting Mackay in the head when going for the ball .... the same cant be said for Mackay who broke Hunter's jaw into several pieces

If competing for the ball you have a duty of care not to hit an opposing player in the head ..... pretty sure that's what the AFL keep telling us
That was 3 seasons ago, the ‘high contact’ rules have been tightened every offseason since then.

He would get rubbed out for that today, same as Maynard. Webster would have got 4-5 weeks last season, now it’s 7.

It’s a rapidly evolving part of the game.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

love jimmy ... 7 is a fair slice of the season.. will be good to have him back for the tilt at the flag

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I have no issue with 7 weeks being the expected punishment for a hit like this, as it was incredibly stupid, as long as it is applied consistently.
However, I think we all know it simply won't be.
Last year Maynard got let off a simply horrendous piece of thuggery and should have missed the Grand Final.
Yes, I think Jimmy's hit was worse than Maynard's but Maynard should not have got off.
If Maynard had hit Brayshaw the same way as Jimmy did I would bet he would have got off with a fine because it didn't reach the criteria for a suspension.
The AFL has absolutely no integrity and no interest in keeping a fair competition.
They know they have to come down hard and make examples of certain players for the optics of the game, it just really helps that they have soft targets such as St Kilda, North et al.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Yes, I'd say that suspensions handed out during Michael Christian's tenure have for the most part been hopelessly inadequate. He should have been moved on three years ago. His appalling failure with the Pickett two week suspension last year should have been the final nail in his coffin.

However, it represents a broader failure of the AFL commission and of the rules committee which it employs. They have allowed themselves to be bullied by the thugs who always pop their heads up when a controversial case is being considered. The tired catch cry of " it's a man's game" or " we're turning it into basketball". It's the usual morons like Sam Newman, Dermot Brereton, Cameron Mooney, etc. All thugs during their playing days.

The weakness shown by the Administration in the face of these old thugs is embarrassing and infuriating.

Thank goodness for David King. He has been a champion of this cause for many years and is still the strongest and most sensible voice.

The AFL will fail us again, no doubt, and that saddens me. How awful that the broader football community can have have zero faith in the body that is supposed to be protecting the welfare of its players.

Talk is cheap. Action requires both intelligence and a genuine resolve.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2024 2:35pm Yes, I'd say that suspensions handed out during Michael Christian's tenure have for the most part been hopelessly inadequate. He should have been moved on three years ago. His appalling failure with the Pickett two week suspension last year should have been the final nail in his coffin.

However, it represents a broader failure of the AFL commission and of the rules committee which it employs. They have allowed themselves to be bullied by the thugs who always pop their heads up when a controversial case is being considered. The tired catch cry of " it's a man's game" or " we're turning it into basketball". It's the usual morons like Sam Newman, Dermot Brereton, Cameron Mooney, etc. All thugs during their playing days.

The weakness shown by the Administration in the face of these old thugs is embarrassing and infuriating.

Thank goodness for David King. He has been a champion of this cause for many years and is still the strongest and most sensible voice.

The AFL will fail us again, no doubt, and that saddens me. How awful that the broader football community can have have zero faith in the body that is supposed to be protecting the welfare of its players.

Talk is cheap. Action requires both intelligence and a genuine resolve.
And what about all of the significant head trauma caused by non illegal acts of the game?

Where is your self righteous indignation towards the legal head traumas caused by the game, especially the ones that mostly contributed to Mc Cartin Bradshaw and Murphy having to retire.

Calling Jimmy a thug just doesn’t sit well with me btw, he is anything but and deserved a suspension for his momentary lapse of decision making but calling him a thug is well off the mark and in your case, extremely misguided.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Well another reason why I'll never get a job in the industry is I would have appealed the sentence, tried to get it to 5 or 6. The sentence may be reasonable on the circumstances but its disproportionate in relation to comparable violent acts done in recent memory. It is now a benchmark for all (sure).