Brayshaw - leave thread here as it affects the future of footy in general

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Brayshaw - leave thread here as it affects the future of footy in general

So poor Brayshaw's career is stuffed and he is forced to retire.

I have watched the video of the Brayshaw-Maynard incident several times again today, after umpteen times when it happened.

The video seems crystal clear to me. Maynard jumped high in the air with his hands above his head trying to block Brayshaw's kick. And then it looks as if, while he was in mid-air, he noticed that Brayshaw was close by so, rather than land on his feet, he leaned forward with his shoulder hoping to make some sort of contact. It's BS that he didn't have time to do this. Perhaps he only meant to make contact with Brayshaw's chest, and wasn't too fussy because Brayshaw was wearing a head guard.

It doesn't matter. He should have been rubbed out for 6-8 weeks.

The consequences of today's announcement are humiliating for the AFL, threatening the viability of the game. The message is loud and clear: a player can charge into the head of an opponent with his shoulder and cause life-changing damage, and that's absolutely fine, no worries, just "a football act."

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brayshaw - leave thread here as it affects the future of footy in general

They found it was within the rules, so they changed the rules. I've not heard any commentary on what the suspension would have been with the new rules.
Smother Rule

In circumstances where a player elects to leave the ground  in an attempt to smother the football, any reasonably foreseeable high contact with an opponent that is at least Low Impact will be deemed to be Careless at a minimum, unless the player has taken all reasonable steps to avoid that high contact and/or minimise the force of that high contact (for example, by adopting a body position that minimises the force of the high contact).
Expect more of this as time goes on.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Sad. If it was an accidental hit it might be easier to come to terms with. But it was a deliberate act by a player seemingly proud of his thug enforcer reputation.
AFL and Collingwood will go into defensive mode. Poor Angus pays the price for their dishonour.

ctqs
Club Player

Would he have done it differently had it been training and had Moore or Daicos been coming the other way?

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Saint 58
Club Player

Maynard ... a premiership
Bradshaw ... thanks for coming
AFL ... GUTLESS & FXXXED IN THE HEAD

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Moods
Saintsational Legend

It baffles me that anyone could think that this was a deliberate act. Of course training would be different, just like he probably wouldn’t tackle as hard at training his own teammates as he would the opposition in a preliminary final.

MB. If you watched this collision in slow motion numerous times. You would’ve also noticed that Brayshaw verrs into Maynards path just after he kicked the ball. By that stage Maynard was already in the air. The player on the ground would have been able to control the outcome of this incident far easier than the player in the air. Are we going to outlaw players running and jumping in the air to smother? This was a horrific incident, like numerous horrific instances that occur over the year in a contact sport.

I can’t help but think that peoples inherent bias against Collingwood are affecting their judgement. Even with the rule change, I still don’t believe he would’ve been found guilty, because I still don’t believe he would’ve been able to predict that contact was reasonably likely as a result of his actions .

Is Maynard now responsible for all Brayshaw concussions?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 22 Feb 2024 5:23pm So poor Brayshaw's career is stuffed and he is forced to retire.

I have watched the video of the Brayshaw-Maynard incident several times again today, after umpteen times when it happened.

The video seems crystal clear to me. Maynard jumped high in the air with his hands above his head trying to block Brayshaw's kick. And then it looks as if, while he was in mid-air, he noticed that Brayshaw was close by so, rather than land on his feet, he leaned forward with his shoulder hoping to make some sort of contact. It's BS that he didn't have time to do this. Perhaps he only meant to make contact with Brayshaw's chest, and wasn't too fussy because Brayshaw was wearing a head guard.

It doesn't matter. He should have been rubbed out for 6-8 weeks.

The consequences of today's announcement are humiliating for the AFL, threatening the viability of the game. The message is loud and clear: a player can charge into the head of an opponent with his shoulder and cause life-changing damage, and that's absolutely fine, no worries, just "a football act."
Just curious, completely different incident and circumstances, but one also involving a concussion prone player. Should Caminiti have been rubbed out for 6-8 weeks for his hit on Murphy? Far less contentious and although Murphy had been concussed a couple of further times last season, could easily argue that caminiti’s hit will definitely contribute to his likely early retirement.

The emotion of the day means everyone’s coming for Maynard, but take away the footy jumpers they’re wearing. To say that Maynard decided mid air that he was going to take Brayshaw out is beyond laughable, the reaction time to make that decision and then execute it midair would mean that Maynard would have landed before he got his opportunity to carry out his devious plan. For this to be remotely possible, he would’ve had to have made a conscious decision before he jumped or as he jumped to take out Brayshaw. Not while he’s floating through the air and realising he missed the smother. Bracing for impact is a natural human reaction that you can’t legislate for. For fear of sounding like BM, have you played the game before and have any idea how fast the reaction times are. Maynard is not a likeable character. He puffs his chest out and gets in opposition players faces so I get the angst.

I agree that this issue is critical to the game. If we start banning these incidents then suddenly the game looks a whole lot different. We’re basically saying that the only time you can leave the ground is in a marking contest…..
I wonder how long before we ponder stopping that?

mickey
Club Player

To give some perspective Brayshaw retired because of his history of head knocks. Caminiti was unlucky because the guy he barely touched had a history. McCartin had a history and pretty much ran into a player and was concussed, do we blame Paddy ? I feel Maynard was lucky to get off for a game or two but he can't be blamed for Brayshaws history. Sad to see him retire but this is just the start of early retirements ... unfortunately.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 22 Feb 2024 7:43pm To say that Maynard decided mid air that he was going to take Brayshaw out is beyond laughable, the reaction time to make that decision and then execute it midair would mean that Maynard would have landed before he got his opportunity to carry out his devious plan. For this to be remotely possible, he would’ve had to have made a conscious decision before he jumped or as he jumped to take out Brayshaw. Not while he’s floating through the air and realising he missed the smother. Bracing for impact is a natural human reaction that you can’t legislate for. For fear of sounding like BM, have you played the game before and have any idea how fast the reaction times are. Maynard is not a likeable character. He puffs his chest out and gets in opposition players faces so I get the angst.
I have nothing in particular against Maynard, and I don't hate Collingwood as much as most fans seem to do.

But, whenever I watch the video, I see that Maynard jumps up with his hands above his head in a normal attempt to smother and then does something which players don't normally do when they smother: shift into a shoulder charge position and lean into the contest at the level of his opponent's head. I appreciate that it all happened in a split second, but I think the raising of the shoulder and the way he leaned in went a bit beyond bracing for impact, and was to some extent deliberate motion which might have been at least partly motivated by an intent to inflict some pain on his opponent. Many other such instantaneous reactions that hurt opponents have been judged harshly in the past; Ryder's suspension in 2022 was a good example.

And this incident has finished a player's career, as well as effectively finishing Melbourne's season in 2023. It's a bad look for the AFL that the perpetrator of the hit got away scot free and with a premiership medallion.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 22 Feb 2024 7:23pm It baffles me that anyone could think that this was a deliberate act. Of course training would be different, just like he probably wouldn’t tackle as hard at training his own teammates as he would the opposition in a preliminary final.

MB. If you watched this collision in slow motion numerous times. You would’ve also noticed that Brayshaw verrs into Maynards path just after he kicked the ball. By that stage Maynard was already in the air. The player on the ground would have been able to control the outcome of this incident far easier than the player in the air. Are we going to outlaw players running and jumping in the air to smother? This was a horrific incident, like numerous horrific instances that occur over the year in a contact sport.

I can’t help but think that peoples inherent bias against Collingwood are affecting their judgement. Even with the rule change, I still don’t believe he would’ve been found guilty, because I still don’t believe he would’ve been able to predict that contact was reasonably likely as a result of his actions .

False equivalents.
Unrelated incidents in other games did not end his career and Melbourne's finals.
It was opportunistic thuggery.
Maynard always tries to hurt opponents.
It's nonsense to suggest he could not have avoided what happened, but for argument's sake if he really was an uncontrolled missile his decision was reckless and needed to be severely punished. The tribunal was old fashioned whitewashing of the most foolish but sadly predictable kind.
But Collingwood will use all the above excuses to make Maynard the actual victim. Be interesting how the footy public treat him even though the press will exonerate him. Its Collingwood don't you know. A test of Captain Moore's real values. Just a shrug?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Thank you for proving my point Yorkeys

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

A thug act that, in concert with a lenient tribunal decision, effectively won the Pies a flag. I suspect Maynard will be roundly booed from now on.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024 1:04am A thug act that, in concert with a lenient tribunal decision, effectively won the Pies a flag. I suspect Maynard will be roundly booed from now on.
Well said... I totally agree. Maynard is a thug who deserves to be booed.

For those who think it wasn't a thug act, how about you think about this;

I know the AFL tribunal cleared him of doing something 'illegal' ...but feeding peanut butter to people isn't illegal!!

Maynard knew that Brayshaw was vulnerable to concussion and yet (after failing to smother) he still targeted Brayshaw's upper body and head and made high contact. It'd be like someone feeding peanut butter to someone with a peanut allergy....you know what I mean 🥶

Maynard's thug act contributed significantly to ending Angus Brayshaw's career. He had to forego millions of dollars in future salary.

If I was Angus, I would pursue some sort of compensation from the AFL and also name Maynard as one of the defendants.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

just another incident to add to the fact that Collingwood stink the game up.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

If you are driving drunk and run over someone who is blind, you're still responsible.

I just want to know why the AFLPA is silent on this issue.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

It was the straw that broke the camel's back, Brayshaw was a ticking timebomb unfortunately.

Also, whether you're a 'thug' or not 100% depends on what colour jumper you're wearing :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I'm flabbergasted that people (and the AFL) could argue it was accidental.
When leave the ground, surely the responsibility lies upon you as to where you land....in this case, right on Bradshaw's head.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
spert
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024 9:12am It was the straw that broke the camel's back, Brayshaw was a ticking timebomb unfortunately.

Also, whether you're a 'thug' or not 100% depends on what colour jumper you're wearing :lol:
Feel sorry for a top player who has his career cut down like this, as the cumulative effects of many head knocks takes its toll. Looking at the Maynard incident, if you're running, and someone comes at you front on, feet off the ground, looking straight at you and shoulder cocked for impact, then it is as intentional as impact gets, and the player should have had a long suspension. Sadly it was the final straw for Brayshaw.

saint6709
Club Player

Moods wrote: Thu 22 Feb 2024 7:23pm It baffles me that anyone could think that this was a deliberate act. Of course training would be different, just like he probably wouldn’t tackle as hard at training his own teammates as he would the opposition in a preliminary final.

Have you ever jumped off a pier or ran and jumped into a pool ? Do you turn into a statue as soon as your feet leave the ground ?
You must get a few laughs from your mates if that is the case

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

There's a solution that doesnt affect the rules of the game but it won't happen for a number of reasons, mostly liability and also the AFLPA. IN my opinion the concussion issues are so serious for where the game is headed that something must be done outside of suspensions and rule changes.

AFL appointed doctors assess any player after X number of concussions and make a call whether they should be playing in the league.
Clubs get draft compensation similar to free agency.
Player gets paid out their contract and additional funding/support to age 30 by the AFL.

In the case of McCartin he would have been retired well before he left our club.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

A dog act from Maynard and it ended a career

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
amusingname
Club Player

I presume everyone who is saying it was clearly intentional, a thug act and once you leave the ground that you are responsible for what occurs to anyone when you are landing will remember this and repeat it all when a saints player inevitably leave the ground and bump or run into someone?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024 11:19am I presume everyone who is saying it was clearly intentional, a thug act and once you leave the ground that you are responsible for what occurs to anyone when you are landing will remember this and repeat it all when a saints player inevitably leave the ground and bump or run into someone?
Happy if they commit the crime they do the time. Maynard was let off for one reason.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Curly, I too have a bit of a conspiracy theory about why Maynard want suspended, but it’s different to yours.

Mine is about a “conspiracy” among a group of retired players who still have some direct influence on the AFL and a much larger indirect influence through the media.

Whenever one of these shameful incidents occur, up they spring wirh comments like “collisions happen, you can’t blame the players”, “it was a football action”, “it all happened in a split second” (so does batting against fast bowling, but the good batsmen seem to have plenty of time to make decisions).

The sub-text of all this is “shut up you pussies, this is a man’s game.” They don’t actually believe that the incident was unintentional. They like seeing that sort of thing in the game, but won’t admit it (beyond inanities like “Player X takes no prisoners, does he?”)

It’s time for the misogynist dinosaurs to be permanent shipped out of the AFL and the media. The good news is that, if the AFL won’t do it for itself, the courts will probably do it for them. Alas to the detriment of the game

- Jonathan Swift
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024 9:55am

Have you ever jumped off a pier or ran and jumped into a pool ? Do you turn into a statue as soon as your feet leave the ground ?
You must get a few laughs from your mates if that is the case
WTF are you on about? Have you ever jumped off a pier and suddenly realised that you are going to land on your mate who bobs his head up from under the water? Once you're in the air you can't change your trajectory, I'm not sure why ppl can't grasp that? Brayshaw moves into his path AFTER he kicks the ball. There's no way Maynard could have predicted this before he left the ground and when you view the incident (not in slow motion) in real time you realise just how little time he had to react. Tbh, I was staggered that Maynard didn't plant an elbow into his face or chest as that's the natural reaction when fending something or someone away when caught by surprise. Hilarious that some commentators believe he should have tried to land on Brayshaw like a drop bear.

Why on earth would Maynard deliberately want to hurt Brayshaw? Taking away the fact that they were apparently mates and had played footy together in the past, why would Maynard deliberately put himself out for the finals? In such a public way? Nothing anyone arguing that it was a 'thug act' is saying makes any sense at all to me. Where is Maynard's past history of taking players out ala Byron Pickett etc? He's aggressive, dumb and a consummate Collingwood looking bloke. Add to that they won the flag which infuriates ppl even more.

I have been on this forum a long time. I read post after post of ppl defending Stevie Baker for his behaviour on the field. Some even claiming that his taking out of the Wiz knocking him into next week as completely fair. Even though Baker himself basically admits he WAS a thug.