Training Reports

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training Reports

SaintPav wrote: Sat 10 Feb 2024 6:28pm I see a lot of potential in Byrnes. While he’s a bit inconsistent (which young player isn’t) he’s very quick, has a great tank and has a few tricks. They should persist with him I reckon.
12 months ago he was odds on for next delisted when his contract came up and barely good enough to be on the emergency list.

He’s come along way in a short time.

IMO not quite top 22 just yet but one of quite a few players that could stamp himself in the main team if he continues to improve. Works really hard… is fast and is hungry. If his ability to get the ball and decision making/disposal efficacy improve 10%… could be a very good player

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

A couple of highlights for me last season were both Butler and Byrnes taking speckys late in the season. Something I had thought impossible. I took it as a wonderful set of omens.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I don’t see him as best 22, however he has the ability to impact a match with his hard work both ways and his pace as he has done coming on as a sub or in his better games.

He is very good depth based on last years output.

If he’s a slow burn improver who becomes first choice I think that would be great reward for his hard work and effort.

I would like to back him in as opposed to taking pot shots and bagging the guy.

Probably in a battle with Wilson, Jones, maybe Hotton, Bonner, Paton etc for the last one or two places in round in my (uniformed) opinion.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

We talking Byrnes?

He will play on the wing from what I’ve seen

Saints58
Club Player

Now that there are 5 on interchange would the 5 player be more like a KPP or Ruck or a player who can play both.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 08 Feb 2024 1:36pm If Byrnes is playing round 1 we haven't improved.
You still have fit RoMa and Pou into your side.

Has Byrnes overtaken them this summer?

shrodes
SS Life Member

Credit to 11men1cup
Bigfooty training wrap 12/02/2024
By 11men1cup

Did my yearly trek to Moorabbin today, so this is my quick observations

The difference in fitness levels between when I went last year, to now is just insane. In near 35 degree heat, our boys just didn't give up. We really are gonna run everyone off their feet this year. I don't know what's gonna happen this year, but never count us out of a game. We. Are. Fit.

One thing that caught my eye was Higgins was involved a lot in D50 plays. Especially the transition of it. He'd be the receiver from a stoppage type situation before handballing to one of the runners (nas, Bonner, Wilson etc). Could be used further up the ground this year? He honestly didn't seem out of place.

Wilson. Oh boy. Lock him in for round 1. Collard wasn't out there afaik, so I can't comment on him, but Wilson is just ready to go. Hotton looked really good too imo. Pace to burn.

However the one that really caught my eye was Keeler. He just seems so naturally gifted. Everything he did just had that spark, that oopmh. Genuinely is a young Paddy Ryder. Think he's in for a debut towards the back end of the year. Raw obviously, but this boy can play.

And yes. Max King could win the Coleman this year.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Some more things to add for todays training report:

1. Dougal kicking bullets in the drills.

2. Collard is in Perth with Covid. Make with that what you will. Is it because he’s homesick and doesn’t want to come home or he’s genuinely sick? Could mean Garcia might be debuting round 1 with Butler missing.

3. Clarke and Dow coming out of the pools. Might mean Clarke is in concussion protocols?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The Collard story makes sense without any subtext.

We had a 4 day break, kid went home to visit friends/family after being whisked away after the draft. Caught covid, staying there until better.

IMO Clark is serving the recommended '21 day' concussion protocols but we don't want to flag it as it's a touchy subject in the media and with AFL admin right now.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Sun 11 Feb 2024 2:58pm Now that there are 5 on interchange would the 5 player be more like a KPP or Ruck or a player who can play both.
Unless i've read it wrong, the additional player is just the sub but the nomination comes right before the game instead of on selection night.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1074844/ame ... -afl-rules
Naming of the Sub

The sub will continue in 2024, and in an amendment to the announcement of teams, Clubs will now name an extended interchange bench of five players and three emergency players.

The sub will be confirmed 60 minutes prior to the match.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 12 Feb 2024 5:45pm The Collard story makes sense without any subtext.

We had a 4 day break, kid went home to visit friends/family after being whisked away after the draft. Caught covid, staying there until better.

IMO Clark is serving the recommended '21 day' concussion protocols but we don't want to flag it as it's a touchy subject in the media and with AFL admin right now.
It’s on Saints.com that Clark is serving the concussion protocol. Scan showed that some bone (in the nose I think) was broken.

Saints58
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Mon 12 Feb 2024 5:49pm
Saints58 wrote: Sun 11 Feb 2024 2:58pm Now that there are 5 on interchange would the 5 player be more like a KPP or Ruck or a player who can play both.
Unless i've read it wrong, the additional player is just the sub but the nomination comes right before the game instead of on selection night.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1074844/ame ... -afl-rules
Naming of the Sub

The sub will continue in 2024, and in an amendment to the announcement of teams, Clubs will now name an extended interchange bench of five players and three emergency players.

The sub will be confirmed 60 minutes prior to the match.

Thanks for the info I think you are right my information was incorrect I thought there were 5 on interchange and 1 sub much apricated.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Mon 12 Feb 2024 5:05pm Credit to 11men1cup
Bigfooty training wrap 12/02/2024
By 11men1cup

Did my yearly trek to Moorabbin today, so this is my quick observations

The difference in fitness levels between when I went last year, to now is just insane. In near 35 degree heat, our boys just didn't give up. We really are gonna run everyone off their feet this year. I don't know what's gonna happen this year, but never count us out of a game. We. Are. Fit.

One thing that caught my eye was Higgins was involved a lot in D50 plays. Especially the transition of it. He'd be the receiver from a stoppage type situation before handballing to one of the runners (nas, Bonner, Wilson etc). Could be used further up the ground this year? He honestly didn't seem out of place.

Wilson. Oh boy. Lock him in for round 1. Collard wasn't out there afaik, so I can't comment on him, but Wilson is just ready to go. Hotton looked really good too imo. Pace to burn.

However the one that really caught my eye was Keeler. He just seems so naturally gifted. Everything he did just had that spark, that oopmh. Genuinely is a young Paddy Ryder. Think he's in for a debut towards the back end of the year. Raw obviously, but this boy can play.

And yes. Max King could win the Coleman this year.
Thanks for sharing.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Byrnes showed what he can do in one of those games later in the season where a number of times he received or grabbed the ball in a heavily congested situation and just took the game on by charging through the pack and coming out the other side with it.

It was a real “wow if he could do that consistently he could be something” type game. Takes a lot of confidence to take the game on like that though so that’s something I’d be heavily encouraging him to do. I’d get him to watch that game over and over and to just keep trying to take the game on like that.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Sounds like neither Collard or Sincs have trained for about two weeks now. Someone on BF said Sincs had a calf.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: Tue 13 Feb 2024 10:51am Sounds like neither Collard or Sincs have trained for about two weeks now. Someone on BF said Sincs had a calf.
Sincs has 2 calves, FWIW.

And they're both enormous

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 13 Feb 2024 1:33pm
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: Tue 13 Feb 2024 10:51am Sounds like neither Collard or Sincs have trained for about two weeks now. Someone on BF said Sincs had a calf.
Sincs has 2 calves, FWIW.

And they're both enormous
I hear they have their own postcode!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He does a calf - it could be season if not career ending

More cows than calves

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Injuries toll starting to rise.

Is Ross working them too hard again?

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 13 Feb 2024 6:42pm Injuries toll starting to rise.

Started the year well last year...

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 13 Feb 2024 6:42pm Injuries toll starting to rise.

The training watchers will tell you that the assistants run training.

Clark and Paton were heat of battle iimpact injuries. Neither of them worry about avoiding impact.
Butler presents as an opportunity for Wilson.
Sinclair is a rumour and Dow has bone bruising.

Your imagination is drifting into narrative and questions again. Pull it together Vort, focus on the kids.They startedprety well last year and we were pretty fit and impressive.

Big Max
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 09 Feb 2024 5:58pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 08 Feb 2024 1:36pm If Byrnes is playing round 1 we haven't improved.
Geez man, it's early 2024 and you are already into Byrnes.
Give bagging the players a rest, at least until the season starts.
What if we find a compromise.

If Byrnes hasn't improve and is playing round 1, we haven't improved.

Ross likes players who run both ways, and Byrnes runs both ways, but so did McQualter & Eddy, and in my opinion they lacked the necessary skill. Byrnes will need to be better if Saints are serious.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Big Max wrote: Tue 13 Feb 2024 10:57pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 09 Feb 2024 5:58pm
Geez man, it's early 2024 and you are already into Byrnes.
Give bagging the players a rest, at least until the season starts.
What if we find a compromise.

If Byrnes hasn't improve and is playing round 1, we haven't improved.

Ross likes players who run both ways, and Byrnes runs both ways, but so did McQualter & Eddy, and in my opinion they lacked the necessary skill. Byrnes will need to be better if Saints are serious.
Not sure I agree big Max.

Say Big Max is fully fit and matures into the player he promises to be, Pou, Mitch, Windy, NWM all take steps forward, Keeler, Wilson, Collard all get games but improvement in this group will have no positive impact on us as a team ….should Byrnes have not improved and is selected in round 1?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Robert Eddy

Everyone carries on about him like he was a Ross Lyon staple

He played 33 games in 5 seasons at StK

Did NOT play in the 2009 GF

And came into the side in 2010 during the year after a few injuries

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 14 Feb 2024 2:00pm Robert Eddy

Everyone carries on about him like he was a Ross Lyon staple

He played 33 games in 5 seasons at StK

Did NOT play in the 2009 GF

And came into the side in 2010 during the year after a few injuries
One game two many.
Another example of chaos theory. A can hardly play is slotted into a well drilled top performance team, what can go wrong, there is redundancy in the system - not.