Training Reports

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training Reports

Does anyone know if the Saints are training Tomorrow (Friday 16/02/2024) ?

I plan on going, i hope i'm not the only there at around 9.30am .

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Talk on BF is that it's on, 9:30am.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Thu 15 Feb 2024 3:57pm Does anyone know if the Saints are training Tomorrow (Friday 16/02/2024) ?

I think tomorrow is the first fully fledged intra club match before the practice games against opposition begin next week.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 15 Feb 2024 7:45pm
bobmurray wrote: Thu 15 Feb 2024 3:57pm Does anyone know if the Saints are training Tomorrow (Friday 16/02/2024) ?

I think tomorrow is the first fully fledged intra club match before the practice games against opposition begin next week.
OK, thanks. :D

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Thu 15 Feb 2024 4:59pm Talk on BF is that it's on, 9:30am.
Thanks for that.

shrodes
SS Life Member

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I went to training today, the practice match was what i enjoyed watching most.

When the Red team was made up of the likely 23 for round 1 they were too good for the Blue team which looked like it was the Saints Sandy contingent.
Heath, Hayes, Clark and Van Es were all part of the injured group doing fitness and ball work on the far side.
Jones was nowhere to be seen, not sure if he's injured again.

Interesting to hear Dougal yell at Wilson telling him he's an elite runner so he should use his running skills better when chasing an opponent.
When Ross and Crouch were part of the Blue team's midfield they were getting walloped out of the middle.
When the Blue team leaked a few goals Ross yelled out to his Blue teammate Stocker, hey Stock, get "your" defenders better organised.

The coaches helped the Blue team out not long after that, they mixed up the Red and Blue players, made it a bit more even.

At the end of the match practice i heard one of the players yell out, Good Pre-Season Guys as they all gathered in the middle of the ground.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jones has concussion. Copped a knock last Wednesday.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Credit to Barrels
BigFooty training wrap (16/02/2024)
By Barrels

Here we go…

WARM UPS and DRILLS
* Butler and Hunter running laps.
* No Jones or Dow. Or Sincs.
* Hammer with a massive head bandage again. Might indeed have had his ears pinned. 🤣
* Crouch knee still heavily strapped.
* Hayes in general warmup.
* Hastie tall and slim, but oddly bandy-legged. Kinda runs like Stuv. Beautiful by foot.
* Pou doesn’t mark the ball as much a rip it out of the air!
* Not sure who the blokes in 37, 40, 46, and 48 are. Turns out 40 is Darby Hipwell… he is an absolute nugget.
* Garcia is a ripper. Built, moves well, and is classy.
* Keeler clearly training in defence, despite my disbelief before Christmas.
* Moose doing 400s at a decent clip.
* BJ remain a hard task master (and, frankly, a bit of a dick)…
* Henry, Pou, Garcia, and Hotton training with the mids.
* Schoonermonster in proper training. No more running blocks.
* Full ground drill focusing on precise and fast ball movement. Stocker being used as probably the main distributor from defence; Ross stopped the drill twice cos he was shitted off with something (couldn’t hear him.)
* Cordy is not great by foot. Or running. But just… gets things done.
* Chito big daddy-ed Schoonermonster in a marking contest. Too strong.
* Butler, Hunter, Hayes, Van Es, and Moose (?) off to one side in the yellow rehab bibs. Butler, Hunter, and Hayes doing ball movement/leading drills. Van Es running only. Moose doing repeat sprint-type running (clearly working on getting him from contest to contest).
* Chito on Battle in competitive leading drills is basically Godzilla v Kong.
* Doogs even yells at the umps in drills… 🤣
* Keeler on King in the leading drill… outmuscled, sure, but makes Max look stodgy and static. Jeeeeeesus.
* Allison playing as a leading forward. Not showing much, unfortunately.
* Titanic (Sharman) torching Schoonermonster on sheer athleticism.

MATCH SIM (1st third):
* Reds v Blues. Reds seem more “Best 22”, but Crouch, Higgins, and Ross in the Blues for example. Byrnes, Stocker, and Bonner in Red. Wilson in Blue.
* Pou starting in the middle for Red.
* Wilson just MURDERED Hill on the lead. OOF from the set shot… 😬
* Red’s tranisition is awfully quick, leads to a snapped King goal from a handball.
* Doogs raging about something anyway. Bloke is a madman.
* Hammer torches Doogs and Wilkie, who are too busy directing traffic to watch him. Poor from both. Goals from an absolute dogs breakfast shank. 🤣
* Red goals again on a quick inside 50 transition from half back. Emphasis on RAPID ball movement is very noticeable.
* Allison goes over the mark to give away a 50 to Pou. Goals from the set shot.
* Skunk limping after a heavy tackle. Jogging it off, but not happy.
* Hotton goals for Blue from an inside out snap after some very quick hands from Allison out of the marking contest. First good sign from Matty.
* Collard TORCHED Stocker on the lead, but Nas floated in front to spoil. Collard is ridiculously quick.
* Ro drops an uncontested mark on the last line, mopped up, got smothered by Wilson, ball ends up with Hastie who misses the set shot for Blue.
* Real focus on wingers staying wide and keeping their shape. Soccer-like. Really seems to help with movement in transition.
* Unsurprisingly, Collard has the body strength of a sleep toddler.
* Higgins has been superb as a (very) high half forward. He and Crouch keeping Blue in it between them.
* Nas misses right from a free for Red.
* Skunk moving ok now.
* Wood misses a set shot from 25 out. Goal kicking needs serious work across the board if this is the genuine standard.

MATCH SIM (2nd third):
* Titanic, Stocker, and Byrnes into Blue. Webster, Wilson, and Higgo in Red. Higgo’s back is heavily strapped.
* Hunter, Butler and Hayes back out and joining Moose in running laps. Hayes doing more walking than the others… has a noticeable hitch to his stride.
* Pou has WONDERFUL hands in close.
* Higgo plays for the free in a marking contest with Stocker (some things don’t change 😉) and is rewarded. Goals for Red.
* Zlugger on Max. Keeler now on Skunk.
* Schoonermonster on Wilson and McLennan on Chito are weird matchups.
* Wilson picks the wrong option in an I50. Hilly let him know ALL about it.
* Stocker has been very good for Blue.
* Henry lovely inside out to Ro. Goals.
* O’Leary (Sandy) has been good for Blue. Had a quick chat to Tony Brown about him; they like him a lot.
* Pou beats Hastie on the deck to snap another for Red. Just a bit too big for the newbie.
* Hastie and McLennan trying to cover Pou together. He’s just too good. Marks on the lead and kicks another for Red.
* Hilly misses a Max lead. No word on how Wilson feels about it… 🤣
* Chito has position on Keeler and shifts him easily. Misses a speculative shot from 50.
* Comes straight back in from the restart. Zlugger clumsy and gives away a free to Chito who misses from 30m directly in front.
* Higgo with a superb chase across and smother on Schoonermonster to deny Blue an easy transition.
* Max too strong for a scragging Zlugger. Marks and is also given the free. Goals from 15m out. Red really running away with it. 5 goals to bugger all in this half.
* Zlugger now onto Chito, Keeler to Max, McLennan on Skunk, and Schoonermonster still inexplicably on Wilson.
* Hastie with a scrubby pass to Schoonermonster that drifts OOF. Lazy marking sees Higgo pop it over the top to Chito unmarked in the square who goals.
* Immediately out of the ruck to Pou who slips a banana on the run wide. 6.4 to doughnuts in this stanza.
* Campbell comes down heavily from a bit of friendly fire in a marking contest… Titanic took the grab… he seem ok.
* Henry very involved that quarter, moves beautifully.

MATCH SIM (Final third):
* Hayes and Moose STILL running. Both absolutely gassed.
* Hunter and Van Es on the bikes.
* Wholesale changes… Max, Ro, Wood, Steele, Hill, and Chito now in Blue, Higgo back in Blue. Campbell, Allison, Hotton, Hipwell (Sandy), O’Leary (Sandy), Collard, and Garcia in Red.
* Wood off-balance snap in marked on the line by Doogs. Doogs still angry about… everything.
* Titanic slips free inside 50 and marks unopposed on the lead. Doogs loses it at Wilson for not tracking back. Titanic goals.
* Red transitions well from defence and Hipwell goals from 20m out on the run. Doogs less angry.
* Hotton and Garcia very good in close. Beat Steele to the ball.
* Allison now loose in defence. Lovely long pass to Skunk’s advantage.
* Max beats Doogs and a covering Bonner on the lead. Misses left from 40m from the set shot.
* Henry now at half forward instead of the middle.
* Titanic easily shifts 46 from behind, 10m out. Marks, plays on, and goals. Great lob to advantage by Higgo.
* Wilkie easily nudges Max out of the way up on the wing. Just a superb defender.
* Pou stretches to outmark Schoonermonster at high half forward. Absolutely primed for 2024.
* Collard shanks the banana set shot OOF.
* Superb chip shot pass from Windy to Byrnes at full speed. Ronnie misses right from distance.
* Super grab going back with it by Skunk, leads to a dribbler goal to Collard for Red.
* Garcia slices Blue apart from a free, over the top with a long dagger to Henry on the lead. Goal to Red.

Match sim looks over. Time for the group 200s…

Reckon I’ll call that a day.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Who is Titanic?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 17 Feb 2024 8:57am Who is Titanic?
Cooper Sharman

Rubyjo
Club Player

Serial Cooper Sharman hater came up with the name Titanic as he thinks Cooper is slow and not very agile .

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sat 17 Feb 2024 10:16am
Serial Cooper Sharman hater came up with the name Titanic as he thinks Cooper is slow and not very agile .
The Titanic is so 2023, he's now known as Haley's Comet.

Club Player

Sorry who is Zlugger?

loris
Saintsational Legend

1971 wrote: Sat 17 Feb 2024 1:27pm Sorry who is Zlugger?
I’d like to know too !

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex writes awesome training notes. Very detailed and thorough.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

1971 wrote: Sat 17 Feb 2024 1:27pm Sorry who is Zlugger?
Cordy if I am.not wrong

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Saints58
Club Player

Was at training on Friday and very impressed with intensity no holding back some big hits they are playing for spots, and looked like it.
Was very disappointed in Allison he was out muscled and dropped marks no second effort will be delisted end of year.
Hottons looks good quick and good build could be good replacement for Butler.
should have jones, Dow, Clark back by round 1 so selection should be interesting.
Very impressed with Pou Owens and especially keeler he is a big unit and could be anything up forward or back just needs to stay healthy.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Hotton for the Butler spot is a take I hadn't considered. Sounds like a great option and opportunity.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

bobmurray wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 3:31pm I went to training today, the practice match was what i enjoyed watching most.

When the Red team was made up of the likely 23 for round 1 they were too good for the Blue team which looked like it was the Saints Sandy contingent.
Heath, Hayes, Clark and Van Es were all part of the injured group doing fitness and ball work on the far side.
Jones was nowhere to be seen, not sure if he's injured again.

Interesting to hear Dougal yell at Wilson telling him he's an elite runner so he should use his running skills better when chasing an opponent.
When Ross and Crouch were part of the Blue team's midfield they were getting walloped out of the middle.
When the Blue team leaked a few goals Ross yelled out to his Blue teammate Stocker, hey Stock, get "your" defenders better organised.

The coaches helped the Blue team out not long after that, they mixed up the Red and Blue players, made it a bit more even.

At the end of the match practice i heard one of the players yell out, Good Pre-Season Guys as they all gathered in the middle of the ground.
Thanks bobmurray, I think you should go a little easy on Ross, he did have hip replacement surgery a couple of months ago and he's not at playing weight either.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 17 Feb 2024 2:44pm Vortex writes awesome training notes. Very detailed and thorough.
Thanks, I try to create indelible mental imagery with words.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Sun 18 Feb 2024 3:21pm Was at training on Friday and very impressed with intensity no holding back some big hits they are playing for spots, and looked like it.
Was very disappointed in Allison he was out muscled and dropped marks no second effort will be delisted end of year.
Hottons looks good quick and good build could be good replacement for Butler.
should have jones, Dow, Clark back by round 1 so selection should be interesting.
Very impressed with Pou Owens and especially keeler he is a big unit and could be anything up forward or back just needs to stay healthy.
Allison is the classic list clogger, it says a lot about Gallagher who gave him a 2 year extension when he should have been delisted. I think the club got blind sided by his athletic abilities, but you need to able to win the footy to make it at any level.

saintbob
SS Life Member

How’s Max Heath looking, I was hoping he’d be pushing for a spot this year.

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Very amusing to see Allison being very vocal on the field on Friday, pointing and yelling instructions to others. How in the hell can he do that when he’s got absolutely no game sense, is often out marked and loses his player running to a position where the ball isn’t. Been following him since day dot and sadly haven’t seen much improvement and sadly think he will be delisted.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sun 18 Feb 2024 6:44pm How’s Max Heath looking, I was hoping he’d be pushing for a spot this year.
His skill training is almost on hold whilst he focuses on his running ability. They have realised that's going to be the thing that makes or breaks his career.