Arie Schoenmaker’s club punishment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Arie Schoenmaker’s club punishment

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/mystery- ... c-13427729

Anyone know why he f***ed up. Is he a loose cannon?

If he's a douche bag then I hope the players kick his arse in and he learns some respect.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Arie Schoenmaker’s club punishment

It's hard to say what brought on this little story in today's paper, but apparently it was nothing terribly serious.

The following story appeared in today's Hun by Josh Barnes:

"St Kilda says no off-field incident has led to draftee Arie Schoenmaker being sent to trainwith VFL side Sandringham, as the club aims to use the extra session a week to help the teen adjust to life as a professional footballer.

Since the new year break, Schoenmaker has spent one night a week training with Sandringham to keep developing his ball skills, while doing a heavy conditioning block with the AFL side during day training sessions.

The youngster was suspended for 10 weeks by Coates League side Tasmania Devils last year, after an incident in which the then 18-year-old
bought his teammates alcohol after a match.

Rated by some as a top-30 talent, he slipped to No.62 at November’s draft, where the Saintspounced on the prodigious kick.

Schoenmaker’s VFL sessions are designed to help him understand professional standards, but are not the result of any particular incident,
according to the club.

The conditioning block was aimed to help him rapidly increase fitness midway through the 194cm defender’s first AFL pre-season.

Saints list boss Stephen Silvagni said the club was happy to give Schoenmaker a chance at the top level, despite last year’s off-field slip up.

“He’s had some adversity in terms of early on in (2023) – he had to go back and find some form and prove himself again,” Silvagni said in November last year
."

It surprises me that the club chose to let the media into this little story, I would have thought if it is indeed a trivial issue they would keep this in-house.

Playing it out in the media is only going to lead to speculation that Schoenmaker is a problem boy...

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Noway it can be kept in house when he's the only one doing this.
I believe it's because he missed the first half of last year. He's a terrific kid and will probably be an asset tour club.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote: Fri 02 Feb 2024 12:26pm Noway it can be kept in house when he's the only one doing this.
I believe it's because he missed the first half of last year. He's a terrific kid and will probably be an asset tour club.
I hope so.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
66Iwasthere
Club Player

Certainly looked fit at training today. Ran repeat 2 laps with Jones and Crouch and comfortably beat the other two. Getting lots of encouragement from team mates.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Another nothing story?

Incredible.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Saw him on day one of preseason training. His legs were red after running one lap, so I suspect the issue is that he came to the club in less than ideal condition. Most draftees would work on their fitness prior to the draft and then after being drafted to make sure they'd not be behind the others come day one. Arie may not have taken that approach and this is a message to him that turning up unprepared isn't on, hence the focus on running now. His fitness is probably not good enough for match simulation.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

This is a rumour and I’m not one to believe them but I did read on BigFooty by one of the posters that Schoonerdeleter was late for training one time without explanation and a player had to go pick him up. Maybe that has something to do with it?

AGAIN only a rumour and not fact. It would be nice if Saintmike or the others in the know can confirm because I don’t a test to rumours unless substantiated.

The above poster who said he came in less than ideal condition is something I more believe. I like how he’s training with Sandy. Humble the kid.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The Christmas break was quite lengthy. Plenty of time to lose condition if you're not vigilant

B.M
Saintsational Legend

There’s a reason for sliding so far

He was on the nose

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Is it possible it is not punishment and just part of a fitness block for a first year draftee who perhaps did not arrive with a tank ready for an AFL pre-season?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Doubt it

It’s a - don’t take it for granted message

saynta
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Fri 02 Feb 2024 2:30pm This is a rumour and I’m not one to believe them but I did read on BigFooty by one of the posters that Schoonerdeleter was late for training one time without explanation and a player had to go pick him up. Maybe that has something to do with it?

AGAIN only a rumour and not fact. It would be nice if Saintmike or the others in the know can confirm because I don’t a test to rumours unless substantiated.

The above poster who said he came in less than ideal condition is something I more believe. I like how he’s training with Sandy. Humble the kid.
They post tons of crap over on that rubbish site.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

sounds like he came back a bit overweight or something

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully...in the long term he learns from his mistakes... I hate seeing talent go to waste

This bloke seems to have grown up

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/car ... m26fj.html

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think some kids come to the club ala Riewoldt, Ball etc with the mentality of this is my career and I will do everything possible to succeed.

Then others are more… let’s keep enjoying life and the thirst for success and big money comes a bit later. Arie seems like he might start in category two. That’s not a disaster… many ppl do.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think he has been given an opportunity to do extra's and get a shot.
Punishment is not on Lyons list of strategies. He will just wipe you.
Zac Dawson was given similar opportunities and did the work, focussed on his defence and was given a shot in his second season with the club.
This kid was top 30 on his skill and speed and at his size would be a very handy 23rd man.
He will probably do his endurance work with the ones and play defensive key at Sandy.
I'd develop him in the mould of the revamped Wood.
This kid could play wing, would be very dangerous, does not have to go deep forward to impact and will draw a defensive forward away from our half back line if he stays in the midfield and at half forward in a rebound zone.
He is the player you want opening up the forward danger zones.
Phillippou, Owens as big mid/forwards, we've not had recently and Wilson and Collard possess skills and effect that Billings and Lonie never really mastered.
These four would be licking their lips with Nas Hill, Bonner and Shoey taking the ball into 50.
Here's hoping he gets the opportunity to sub and play half games at Sandy.

Shoey has the skill base required

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He was not known for his leg speed in U18 football.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He's a cross between Trent McKenzie and James Sicily but he is taller than both of them...I'd play him as a defender (where he's cut his teeth and played his best in u18).

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/ ... icult-year

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1057399/how ... n-disguise

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 02 Feb 2024 9:37pm He was not known for his leg speed in U18 football.
Perhaps timing and peripheral awareness would be a better use of words.

Clearly, he is able to get around the play and take hand off and uncontested possession, and kicks the ball very well in full flight being chased down.

At 194cm and 90kg, he moves pretty bloody well and after the combine, although he didn't rank top 10 in any event, his combine rankings were solid and he was ranked between 13 and 40 for the draft itself.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 02 Feb 2024 11:01pm He's a cross between Trent McKenzie and James Sicily but he is taller than both of them...I'd play him as a defender (where he's cut his teeth and played his best in u18).

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/ ... icult-year

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1057399/how ... n-disguise
Looks like those articles mention him being used upfield quite a bit and mention a 6.26 time trial. Looks like he can run a bit.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

I agree with Scollop. Start him down back, let him learn the game there, and then when he's ready switch him to the wing or even on the ball.

He's got all the necessary attributes. Great size, and a build that needs some development, but 2 to 3 pre-seasons should be sufficient to get him up to scratch.

Use that booming left peg to its full effect. Whether beating zones, penetrating deep inside 50 or kicking long goals, Arie has the goods.

We have turned our kicking ability as a team around in the past three years. This year, we'll have Nas, Sincs, Battle, Wood, Hill, and hopefully Liam Henry, Riley Bonner, Pou, Mitch, and the skipper moving the ball from defense into attack. Like "Big Kev" (RIP), I'm excited!

Lastly, make no mistake, we've got the steal of the 2023 draft in Schoenmakers. I believe the external problems he endured last year have been dealt with. If he needs straightening up in terms of his "professional standards", he couldn't be in better hands with RBT and crew.

We just need to be patient and diligent with Arie, and I'm certain he'll turn out to be a beauty.

repta
Club Player

He couldn't be stupid enough to 'over dehydrate' himself.

I believe it is more on the 'king island' indulgences.

Not match ready.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I cant believe posters are happy to write him off because of where he was drafted. To acheive the ultimate sucess we need all our recruits to get the best out of themselves and have sucessful careers. I understand all wont make it but we need to be picking the right kids who give themselves the best chance.

Hopefully the kid can get to the standards required, he has a lot of potential. With his body size, strength and marking I can see him playing a Steven May type role, using his kicking as weapon to break games open. He was used further up the field in the championships but with development I believe he can make it as a KPD.

His other draftee mates in Wilson, Collard, Garcia and Hastie are impressing at the club, so hopefully they can all support each other to get the absolute best out of themselves.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 03 Feb 2024 9:39am I cant believe posters are happy to write him off because of where he was drafted. To acheive the ultimate sucess we need all our recruits to get the best out of themselves and have sucessful careers. I understand all wont make it but we need to be picking the right kids who give themselves the best chance.

Hopefully the kid can get to the standards required, he has a lot of potential. With his body size, strength and marking I can see him playing a Steven May type role, using his kicking as weapon to break up games.
Yeah, some people don't seem to understand that the kids when drafted have different backgrounds and make a few decisions outside and inside footy that don't meet protocols when they arrive - I feel comfortable about the way things are going and we are always going to get the shock jocks making a mountain out of a mole hill in the media when they get half a sniff of absolutely anything at all.

I am so excited about young Arie.