I would love the club to officially recognise Mike Patterson.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I would love the club to officially recognise Mike Patterson.

As a coach old Swamp Fox was a real St. Kilda legend, right up there with Alan Killigrew.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: I would love the club to officially recognise Mike Patterson.

Really?

He coached 46 games for 14 wins and was sacked r2 1980

Winning the wooden spoon in 79

He had a good record with North Adelaide in the SANFL

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 10:42pm As a coach old Swamp Fox was a real St. Kilda legend, right up there with Alan Killigrew.
Skeptic can you please lock samuraisant's account, clearly it has been hacked by NickyDal/Nexus/Clause/BlueNRG

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 10:42pm As a coach old Swamp Fox was a real St. Kilda legend, right up there with Alan Killigrew.
Nah mate, he was a dud.

George27
Club Player

I don’t think the Swamp Fox needs special recognition, but I disagree that he was a dud.

In 1977 under Ross Smith we won 3 and drew 2 matches. In 1978 , Patterson was coach and we won 11 and drew 1. It was a fun season. He got us playing a very very tough brand of footy - the Baby Bombers still whinge about one infamous day at Moorabbin.

When Patterson had us playing at our best we were a very good team , who beat both grand finalists late in the season( the win over North at Arden St was extraordinary- and quite controversial) . Unfortunately the incessant bad press mid season led to a form slump which, although Patterson and the players were able to arrest , meant we were left with too much to make up and we missed the finals by 2 points.

Our leading goal kickers in 1978 were George Young (70), Gary Lofts (40) and Rex Hunt (38). At the end of 78 George went home to WA , Rex retired and Gary played only 3 games in 1979. So there goes the forward line.

In addition, at the end of 78 Big Carl and Robert Elliott ( who had kicked the winning “goal “ at Arden St) went to Melbourne.

Graeme Gellie- an excellent rover with brilliant handball skills who had won the B&F in 78- did his knee in 1979 preseason and did not play a game.

Spider Perovic - who had dominated on the wing in 78 and had played every game - was frequently injured in 79 and missed more than half the season.

In return for those losses, we did not get one decent recruit in 79. The best was Malcolm Scott, who kicked 25 goals.

So Swamp Fox never had a chance in 79. Fox then brought in Jezza and kicked Paterson out.

I can tell you that with Swamp Fox at the helm in 78, we played a good brand of footy - an exciting brand of footy - that was way better than what essentially the same blokes ( bar Gellie) had played in 77.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't the swamp fox the coach who got sacked by the trucking asshole Lindsay Fox, after two saints players collided with each other during a game.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think the club just wanted to bring Jezza in as coach, but yes, I have heard that story too.
From memory we had a great preseason, even beating Carlton and hopes were high. I still remember how deflated everybody was when Melbourne (who weren't rated highly) beat us easily at VFL Park at the start of the year.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

George27 wrote: Wed 31 Jan 2024 3:29pm I don’t think the Swamp Fox needs special recognition, but I disagree that he was a dud.

In 1977 under Ross Smith we won 3 and drew 2 matches. In 1978 , Patterson was coach and we won 11 and drew 1. It was a fun season. He got us playing a very very tough brand of footy - the Baby Bombers still whinge about one infamous day at Moorabbin.

When Patterson had us playing at our best we were a very good team , who beat both grand finalists late in the season( the win over North at Arden St was extraordinary- and quite controversial) . Unfortunately the incessant bad press mid season led to a form slump which, although Patterson and the players were able to arrest , meant we were left with too much to make up and we missed the finals by 2 points.

Our leading goal kickers in 1978 were George Young (70), Gary Lofts (40) and Rex Hunt (38). At the end of 78 George went home to WA , Rex retired and Gary played only 3 games in 1979. So there goes the forward line.

In addition, at the end of 78 Big Carl and Robert Elliott ( who had kicked the winning “goal “ at Arden St) went to Melbourne.

Graeme Gellie- an excellent rover with brilliant handball skills who had won the B&F in 78- did his knee in 1979 preseason and did not play a game.

Spider Perovic - who had dominated on the wing in 78 and had played every game - was frequently injured in 79 and missed more than half the season.

In return for those losses, we did not get one decent recruit in 79. The best was Malcolm Scott, who kicked 25 goals.

So Swamp Fox never had a chance in 79. Fox then brought in Jezza and kicked Paterson out.

I can tell you that with Swamp Fox at the helm in 78, we played a good brand of footy - an exciting brand of footy - that was way better than what essentially the same blokes ( bar Gellie) had played in 77.
The winning goal at Arden Street. A great moment. We lost many games in a row when the Bumbers called us animals. Sidebottom arrived and was fantastic and as usual Robbie Muir was crucified.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Tough team that year....very tough.

Ditterich, Sarau, O'dea, Colling, Muir. Sidebottom and a couple of others.

Animals? I don't think so.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 11:04pm Really?

He coached 46 games for 14 wins and was sacked r2 1980

Winning the wooden spoon in 79

He had a good record with North Adelaide in the SANFL
His first year (1978) was exciting. Essendon's whining probably cost us a place in the Finals that year and at full strength we would have been capable of taking on all comers. We smashed the eventual Premiers Hawthorn by about 10 goals in Rd 20 at Waverley.

He then lost a few handy players in 1979 and no one was coming through to replace them.

Graham Gellie who would hardly ever play again due to knee injuries; Val Perovic would play 1 game in 1979 (Rd 1) and then go to Carlton; George Young; Rex Hunt and Carl Ditterich. 1979 was always going to be a massive cliff.

Then when Jesalenko arrived as a player, having been the Premiership Coach the year before, Patterson was doomed.

So it is difficult to judge how good a Coach he was.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Bowey Boy wrote: Wed 31 Jan 2024 4:47pm
George27 wrote: Wed 31 Jan 2024 3:29pm I don’t think the Swamp Fox needs special recognition, but I disagree that he was a dud.

The winning goal at Arden Street. A great moment. We lost many games in a row when the Bumbers called us animals. Sidebottom arrived and was fantastic and as usual Robbie Muir was crucified.
I was at that Arden Street game, celebrating on the ground with the players in the aftermath of the final siren. Great memory.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 31 Jan 2024 5:00pm Tough team that year....very tough.

Ditterich, Sarau, O'dea, Colling, Muir. Sidebottom and a couple of others.

Animals? I don't think so.
One of the toughest Saints teams I've seen. Brutal! Ditterich and Sidebottom used to run around on the ball terrorising the opposition.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 31 Jan 2024 3:35pm

the trucking asshole Lindsay Fox

Still runs the club, mostly from his yacht these days, was it in Monarco where Ross Lyon's current contract was thrashed out over plates of white truffles, beluga cavia and kobe beef washd down with Dom Pérignon. And after dinner was finish Foxy made Bassat feed Rossy exotic fruits in the Jacuzzi on the aft deck.

Big Max
Club Player

Thanks for the excellent summary George. And you've reminded me just how good a player George Young really was. Watching Philipou this season reminded me a lot of George Young. Bear in mind that we didn't see George Young until he was about 23-24 years old (my guess) and Philipou is still just a young kid, so clearly nowhere as good as Young at this stage.

Can anybody else see the similarities, or am I just dreaming?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Anyone of my vintage would know (born '63), that St Kilda were sliding into the abyss just as we were hitting our teen years. We were too young for the glory, but now, he were gutted.

Then came the 1978 season....

And it was as if we were back.

Although we fell in a mighty hole mid-season, we recovered to look formidable at season's end, only to miss the finals on percentage.

It was my first taste of success.

Alas, end of the season we lost, Carl Ditterich, George Young, Rex Hunt, Mordy Bromberg, Grant Thomas ?

Well, whatever, 1979 was a disaster. Spooners. And I think we were broke??? Saints disco? Dunno...

But that Patterson year was great, and it wasn't until Ken Sheldon and the 1990's that we got another whiff. For people my age, that arc of time was practically a life time.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda the musical, with Leslie Nielson as Swamp Fox Mike Patterson. Take no prisoners and laugh doing it.

George27
Club Player

Big Max wrote: Wed 31 Jan 2024 9:38pm

Thanks for the excellent summary George. And you've reminded me just how good a player George Young really was. Watching Philipou this season reminded me a lot of George Young. Bear in mind that we didn't see George Young until he was about 23-24 years old (my guess) and Philipou is still just a young kid, so clearly nowhere as good as Young at this stage.

Can anybody else see the similarities, or am I just dreaming?
Speaking of George Young, happy 75th birthday today to the great man.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 31 Jan 2024 9:51pm Anyone of my vintage would know (born '63), that St Kilda were sliding into the abyss just as we were hitting our teen years. We were too young for the glory, but now, he were gutted.

Then came the 1978 season....

And it was as if we were back.

Although we fell in a mighty hole mid-season, we recovered to look formidable at season's end, only to miss the finals on percentage.

It was my first taste of success.

Alas, end of the season we lost, Carl Ditterich, George Young, Rex Hunt, Mordy Bromberg, Grant Thomas ?

Well, whatever, 1979 was a disaster. Spooners. And I think we were broke??? Saints disco? Dunno...

But that Patterson year was great, and it wasn't until Ken Sheldon and the 1990's that we got another whiff. For people my age, that arc of time was practically a life time.
1978 was the end of an era. Players leaving, retiring, etc.

Much the same as that final game of 2013 was the real end of the 2004-11 era.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think the real end of the 09/10 era was 2017

That was when Roo and Joey retired, Dempster finished up, Gilbert finished up.

It was rebuilding time again!!!
In Clark, Coffield and King

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 11 Feb 2024 8:15am I think the real end of the 09/10 era was 2017

That was when Roo and Joey retired, Dempster finished up, Gilbert finished up.

It was rebuilding time again!!!
In Clark, Coffield and King
Nah, there were a few retirements in that final match of 2013, Milney, Blake and Kosi, but we also lost Goddard, Nicky Dal, and McEvoy, as well. And what an absolute disaster those trades turned out to be! Yeah, we still had Roo and Joey and a couple of others, but we finished stone motherless last in 2014 and the jig was well and truly up!

Remember, after 78 we still had a few left from our successful era, such as Barry Breen and Gary Colling after 1978, but the end of '78 signalled the end of one era, and the signalling in of another :( .