Bet the house on Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bet the house on Ross

Exactly. Clubs don't like it when it looks like we might just challenge!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Club Player

I just think RTB is surrounding himself with people he trusts and who all want excellence. He demands no less than what he gives and tries to achieve. He won't die wondering.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I can't wait for Footy Classified. When does it start?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintWiki
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:29pm
SaintWiki wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 7:00pm
magnifisaint wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 11:52am That's an interesting comment. Seems like the press have found something to stick their boots into. Now Ross has too much power. I wonder if the same could be said of other successful coaches?
Let the media stick their boots in, it's probably going to take a few generations to end it, and that's if we are sustainably successful. Most of the media stooges are leaving us out of the top 8 like they did last year. Duane Russell did today on SEN and put the doggies in - I really like being left off their radar at this time of the year.
See my comment re: Cornes. Our record against Port is disgraceful. We need to start beating sides that finish above us to be taken seriously.
We are stuck with our past record forever, but you don't rebuild a team and fly to the moon overnight. I am keen to see how much we've improved this year and what the youngsters will bring this year, so I say stuff Cornes and all the other dropkicks.

NickyDal
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Mon 29 Jan 2024 3:31pm It's all Bassat, not Ross.

Ross might contribute some of the ideas but Bassat is behind the change. Make no mistake.
How do you know? Are you Robert Harvey?

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Once again. Journos desperate to keep themselves relevant during the off-season. Not much news about, so let's make a huge deal about something and create a narrative so we we can bash the story to death.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Apparently, only News Corp engages in clickbait, even though it wasn't even the source of the article.

Probably the dumbest and most naive things ever written on this forum.

Question:

Have the new appointments made since RTB's arrival been an improvement compared to the previous personnel?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 31 Jan 2024 7:23am Once again. Journos desperate to keep themselves relevant during the off-season. Not much news about, so let's make a huge deal about something and create a narrative so we we can bash the story to death.
Yep, that's the business model.

I don't need to defend RTB (criticism where it's warranted and praise when it's deserved), but I thought RTB is a lot more hands-off these days. For instance, he outsourced the development of the game plan to the assistants last season. He kept acknowledging it. It's probably the same with the whole training program. My perception is that he has more of an oversight role and doesn't involve himself in the weeds like he used to. Having said that, he is probably very influential and wields a lot of power and is in the President's ear a lot, but the news coming out is exaggerated and not balanced.

Same old!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Luke Beveridge's (at Footscray) position as number one media target is in intact.

They carefully baked the nice-guy-cuddly Ross thing last year to have a plump target ready for this year's duck shoot.

Sanctorum
Club Player

The changes that have occurred at St Kilda FC since Ross Lyon's return as senior coach, culminating in Simon Lethlean departing last week, were always going to attract a lot of media attention, speculation and suspicion.

Our footy club has always courted controversy and sceptical commentary whipped up by AFL scribes, that's nothing new and is water on a duck's back for old hands like me.

To be honest, I could find nothing in Jake Niall's article that was particularly oderous, all successful footy clubs over the years have had strong leaders as President and Senior Coach, which is what we manifestly have now!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 11:12pm I can't wait for Footy Classified. When does it start?
The talk-fest, speculation, politics and banter on shows like Classified are a distant second to the actual footy. I don't care whether I watch it or not

Oh...and I certainly don't care for the gossip and drama. If you're into that sort of thing I recommend 'Married at First Sight'

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 01 Feb 2024 2:21am
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 11:12pm I can't wait for Footy Classified. When does it start?
The talk-fest, speculation, politics and banter on shows like Classified are a distant second to the actual footy. I don't care whether I watch it or not

Oh...and I certainly don't care for the gossip and drama. If you're into that sort of thing I recommend 'Married at First Sight'
I can't believe I ever watched that crap. MAFS or Kero Caro.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 01 Feb 2024 2:21am

lol
Luckily, here at Saintsational, we don’t indulge like that.
:D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 10:24pm Exactly. Clubs don't like it when it looks like we might just challenge!
Aint that the truth.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 29 Jan 2024 4:39pm I personally have a lot more confidence now that we have RTB

I reckon he told the board he wanted lethers gone. What Ross wants Ross gets

This is his third stint. He wants success at all costs and so do I

Fanboy
Yeah, Lethlean has had a fair crack at revamping his career courtesy of St.K.F.C., anyway. Whilst it’s not a particularly ideal time to change CEOs, it’ll be good to see someone else get an opportunity in helping to steer the club in a good direction. And like yourself, I have no qualms about Lyon throwing his weight around. Only good decisions seemed to have been made since his return.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 29 Jan 2024 8:49pm
spert wrote: Mon 29 Jan 2024 3:52pm Interesting article, but I still consider Lyon has had his chances and I'm not keen on trying to re-live the past as Bassat seemed to do by pushing through Lyon's appointment. I hope every Saints coach has success, but I have my doubts about the ultimate prize coming our way under Lyon.
If Lyon fails as usual it wont be all be on the coach, currently that is Lyon.

I am of the firm belief that our biggest impediment to becoming a force in the AFL is deeply rooted in our 150 year history.

We have an uncanny knack of tripping over our own feet just when we start to get on a roll.

Lyon can turn us into a force, but the club has to perform around him in a way that is completely opposite to the way it has performed over the past 150 years.
We do carry the luggage of our history, and it is littered with so many wrong or unnecessary decisions by various boards. We are suckers for the quick-fix decision, and I just see that again with the Lyon appointment. I know he is a good coach, but he hasn't won a premiership and has had many chances, so why get him back, and why spend huge money to do so? If we get our next premiership under Lyon, then great, but I don't see it happening.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Thu 01 Feb 2024 3:17pm
spert wrote: Mon 29 Jan 2024 3:52pm Interesting article, but I still consider Lyon has had his chances and I'm not keen on trying to re-live the past as Bassat seemed to do by pushing through Lyon's appointment. I hope every Saints coach has success, but I have my doubts about the ultimate prize coming our way under Lyon.

I am of the firm belief that our biggest impediment to becoming a force in the AFL is deeply rooted in our 150 year history.

We have an uncanny knack of tripping over our own feet just when we start to get on a roll.

Lyon can turn us into a force, but the club has to perform around him in a way that is completely opposite to the way it has performed over the past 150 years.
We do carry the luggage of our history, and it is littered with so many wrong or unnecessary decisions by various boards. We are suckers for the quick-fix decision, and I just see that again with the Lyon appointment. I know he is a good coach, but he hasn't won a premiership and has had many chances, so why get him back, and why spend huge money to do so? If we get our next premiership under Lyon, then great, but I don't see it happening.
So who would you have selected as coach or would you have persevered with Ratten

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I personally would have stuck with Watters.

I miss his moronic press conferences.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 01 Feb 2024 3:54pm I personally would have stuck with Watters.

I miss his moronic press conferences.
Watters seemed to have a demeanor similar to James Hird under fire.
Incredibly calm.

No Mitch Marsh, no Shamar Joseph, but incredibly cool.

If a cop pulls you over for speeding, that is the kind of face I would like have.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Then it will never happen!
Maybe Footscray fluked it in 2016.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

All I can add is this, if you are a betting man, would you bet on us to succeed or fail.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I bet a Saints premiership and Darcy Wilson as the rising star

Alas the odds were so astronomical that they capped by bet at $3.50 at $1199 to $1

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 01 Feb 2024 10:37pm I bet a Saints premiership and Darcy Wilson as the rising star

Alas the odds were so astronomical that they capped by bet at $3.50 at $1199 to $1
So you're telling me we're a chance?

...bonus points if you know the film that line is from.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Feb 2024 4:57am
skeptic wrote: Thu 01 Feb 2024 10:37pm I bet a Saints premiership and Darcy Wilson as the rising star

Come on Vortex…

It doesn’t take a smart or smarter person to know that 🤪

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 02 Feb 2024 9:50am
Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Feb 2024 4:57am

Come on Vortex…

It doesn’t take a smart or smarter person to know that 🤪
🤣