“Get up, get up. We don’t f***ing do that here”

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

“Get up, get up. We don’t f***ing do that here”

Posted without comment.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Re: “Get up, get up. We don’t f***ing do that here”

Saw this on big footy the other day. Apparently Batchelor said nearly the same thing in a session after this one to Caminiti. Hammer did a big running sesh and then pulled up hunched over at the end and Batchelor waltzed over and said either walk it out or jog it out but not to show weakness. Ross was also overheard talking about Gracia the same day to Batchelor how he is expressionless at times. I think this is reference to the squad not showing signs of fatigue to mentally screw with the opposition that we are fitter and can do this all day. Not too dissimilar to Macrae when they lost to Geelong in 2022 and he told the team to get up off the ground and stop acting like losers.

Culture is changing for the better.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like they’re using an iron fist in a velvet glove. Smart.

Method is everything.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

fanboy

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I wish they'd ask Jack Hayes if there's any chance he'll progress out of the rehab group.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Be interesting if Caminiti said

Let’s see you run a lap you fat c***!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 29 Jan 2024 10:13pm Be interesting if Caminiti said

That’d be constructive. Ross isn’t paid to run. First proper pre season for Hammer. I actually love the kid, but he needs to get fitter

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:55am That’d be constructive. Ross isn’t paid to run. First proper pre season for Hammer. I actually love the kid, but he needs to get fitter
...And smarter.
I really want to see the kid succeed...But...He needs to temper that raw energy, play some team footy, and not run around like a headless chook. I know it was hist first year and no pre-season, but far too many times, his opponent was the opposition's best player...And often the Best on Ground.
If we had Membrey, King, and Hayes all fit, then he wouldn't have played more than a few games and been allowed to develop in the twos.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Disrespectful, but hilarious 😂! I'd pay good money to see the look on RTB's face if anyone ever had the balls to actually say it. It might not be the best career move, either. Best to save it for when you think you're going to get cut and make it a certainty!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Putting aside Ross' recent hip operation, in this hypothetical AC might reflect that Ross had a successful playing career, whereas AC was dragged from his last match. And Ross is not being an arsehole or slave driver he is teaching the lad how to be successful and earn a good quid. Although in the age of entitlement I guess if AC could speak after his run he may well have ceased his career there and then for the sake of a laugh back at the restaurant. The appropriate response is yes sir, thanks.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

No coach worth his salt would put up with players lying down on the field after a run. Jeans certainly wouldn't. Neither would Mike Patterson.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 29 Jan 2024 9:59am Sounds like they’re using an iron fist in a velvet glove. Smart.

Method is everything.
Indeed. Smart and simple.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I get the feeling we will have a tough regimented team under RTB.
Surely that’s what we all want ?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ironically it was Ross's dictatorship style that turned the playing group against him at Freo.

Captain's picks rarely work and are generally associated with an antiquated and dictatorship style of management from a bygone era.

Once the gloss wears off and the honeymoon period is over is when the dictatorship style of management will be tested.

It's not a problem if the wins column is favourable but with a list that is in the early stages of a rebuild its going to certainly put a strain on relationships as it always does in the cut and thrust of an elite environment.

Ross failed in his rebuild at Freo with only a win rate of 33% in
his final 4 yeara which is Richo territory and that poor record hasnt been scrutinised in the media on the eastern side of the country since Ross's return, but I expect it will at some stage if results turn south.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Ok so if we start losing and go downhill he will be scrutinised?
Yeah I totally get that 👍

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 31 Jan 2024 8:28pm Ironically it was Ross's dictatorship style that turned the playing group against him at Freo.

Captain's picks rarely work and are generally associated with an antiquated and dictatorship style of management from a bygone era.

Once the gloss wears off and the honeymoon period is over is when the dictatorship style of management will be tested.

It's not a problem if the wins column is favourable but with a list that is in the early stages of a rebuild its going to certainly put a strain on relationships as it always does in the cut and thrust of an elite environment.

his final 4 yeara which is Richo territory and that poor record hasnt been scrutinised in the media on the eastern side of the country since Ross's return, but I expect it will at some stage if results turn south.
I’ll tell you what doesn’t work. Ratts giving everyone a cuddle and giving everyone free rein. I’m completely comfortable with everything I’ve read about Ross’s training sessions and super relieved he’s turning around the disorganised rabble we were

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Wed 31 Jan 2024 10:30pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 31 Jan 2024 8:28pm Ironically it was Ross's dictatorship style that turned the playing group against him at Freo.

I’ll tell you what doesn’t work. Ratts giving everyone a cuddle and giving everyone free rein. I’m completely comfortable with everything I’ve read about Ross’s training sessions and super relieved he’s turning around the disorganised rabble we were
I'd suggest he hasn't turned anything around just yet, if they gave out premierships for training sessions then sure, he'd be looking at going back to back this pre season.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Id suggest that we are aware nothing has been turned around yet although the trajectory looks promising
Id also suggest that some of us are simply agreeing with his training approach and understand that premierships aren't given away
I think most would be happy with RTB's method
Last edited by The Fireman on Thu 01 Feb 2024 10:23am, edited 1 time in total.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 01 Feb 2024 12:02am

I'd suggest he hasn't turned anything around just yet, if they gave out premierships for training sessions then sure, he'd be looking at going back to back this pre season.
You do understand the concept of turning around is directional as opposed to absolute don't you?

Does Ross deserve to have a bronze statue outside our club rooms- no.

Does he deserve respect for what he has achieved in his career- yes

Do the majority of people believe directionally St Kilda has turned a corner (perhaps not 180)- yes

I'd also suggest- this years preseason is currently looking better than last- last year we had injuries to half the list (hyperbole)

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 01 Feb 2024 9:09am

You do understand the concept of turning around is directional as opposed to absolute don't you?

Do the majority of people believe directionally St Kilda has turned a corner (perhaps not 180)- yes

I'd also suggest- this years preseason is currently looking better than last- last year we had injuries to half the list (hyperbole)
It might be the contrarian in me, but I’m inclined to wait until some silverware is in the cupboard (or at least be close to GF appearance) before I suggest the club has turned it around. There have been waaaaay to many false dawns over a 150 year period let alone my own life span. So I’d suggest as it stands we have achieved nothing but some positive perception about potential.

But I respect your right to be impressed with pre season form and make judgements about a direction and the forward movement of any magnitude.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 01 Feb 2024 11:12am
nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 01 Feb 2024 9:09am

It might be the contrarian in me, but I’m inclined to wait until some silverware is in the cupboard (or at least be close to GF appearance) before I suggest the club has turned it around. There have been waaaaay to many false dawns over a 150 year period let alone my own life span. So I’d suggest as it stands we have achieved nothing but some positive perception about potential.

But I respect your right to be impressed with pre season form and make judgements about a direction and the forward movement of any magnitude.

You are correct in that nothing has been achieved.

If you wait until there is silverware or grand final appearances you don't need to suggest anything it will be fact.

Part of the fun as they say is the journey, which includes speculating based on the available evidence and then revising that view as more is presented.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Sanctorum
Club Player

It was always on the cards that someone would derail the discussion of Ross Lyon blasting a player who had thrown in the towel during a training session into a question about the effect this might have on the team's destiny under this style of management.

Like all of these conversations, it depends entirely on whether you're a glass half full person (optimist), or glass half empty (pessimist).

It's also about managing expectations: the optimistic Saints fan will usually start the new season absolutely positive that the team will improve on the previous year wheras the neutral fan will sit on the fence and await developments.

The pessimistic fan, on the other hand, is not at all impressed with the improved quality of the list and rather than give credit to what the new coach achieved in his first year back (a lot of luck), argue that he could turn out to be a dud since he failed in the final quarter of his last gig at Fremantle, sinking the boot in further by adding it was "Ross's dictatorship style that turned the playing group against him at Freo."

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I am aboard the Ross train.

We will see. I don’t think improvement is only measured by a flag. Progress up the ladder is relative improvement, over a three or four year stretch. (We can have lucky or unlucky years, but not lucky ‘three years’) *

So we will see.

One thing I am concerned about is injury. If Caminiti is going to be the star we hope, I hope they don’t get all draconian on him for his attitude and blow out his hammies. On the other hand, he can’t be his own boss. Delicate balance.

*unless there is a sanction scandal and penalty etc.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

You don't have to get faster, you just have to get fitter.

We don't do that here is a statement about expectations on effort and composure.

We have lacked both for a while. The effort has been obvious and was there, but the composure has been lacking poorly.

If you give into it on the track, it will happen in a match.

It's a simple coaching/training philosophy used by training motivators.

If you intend to win, then don't show weakness. It's not to everyone's liking but it's been a mantra for Ross his whole career.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 01 Feb 2024 11:45am

the fun as they say is the journey

I'd suggest that this is the the only part us weirdos derive pleasure from.

What else could it be apart from us being weirdos.