Simon Lethlean finished at St. Kilda effective immediately?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AuckSaint
Club Player

Re: Simon Lethlean finished at St. Kilda effective immediately?

Looks like clash of strong personalities - both appear to be "my way or the highway" sort of guys.

1 of the 10,000 NZ Saints members
axcellence
Club Player

A picture can say a thousand words doesn't it :P

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 1:10pm

History shows the hard line works.

Only with a list that is in the premiership window and with a group of mature match hardened and conditioned bodies.

Ross failed in his only attempt at a rebuild and one of the greatest criticisms he was receiving in his final year at Freo was he only had a one-size-fits-all approach and it was contributing to the significant injury toll especially amongst the younger players.

Still a very long way to go before we know if Ross can build a list capable of winning a flag.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 1:27pm

Only with a list that is in the premiership window and with a group of mature match hardened and conditioned bodies.

Ross failed in his only attempt at a rebuild and one of the greatest criticisms he was receiving in his final year at Freo was he only had a one-size-fits-all approach and it was contributing to the significant injury toll especially amongst the younger players.

Still a very long way to go before we know if Ross can build a list capable of winning a flag.
Ross has shown that this time around, he is not afraid to play young players...
NWM, Owens, Phillipou, Caminiti, and Windhager were all regular members of the team in 23.
The first three were never dropped at all. Owens only missed due to concussion.

That is a totally different approach to his first stint at coaching with us where Armo, McEvoy, Lynch, etc hardly got a look in.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 10:48am This screams of another one shown the door because he dared to disagree with Ross the boss.
I know I am in the minority but I really don't like Ross Lyon and cannot understand why he is touted as some kind of supercoach.
He has only had success, moderate success at that, when he has been handed A-grade talent.
He has always shown a tendency towards dictatorship within the clubs he is at with anyone that is not 100% behind his message shown the door.
While many will say that a dictatorship is good as everyone needs to be on the same page all the time that is simple not the case.
Success comes from inviting different opinions and incorporating the best of them while gently rejecting the others but still encouraging them.
He is also the coach with greatest win ratio, second most finals appearances, second most Grand Final appearances at St Kilda.

He is the only coach in history to take St Kilda to five consecutive finals appearances, albeit over two stints.

To call it "moderate success" is laughable. To say he has only been successful with A-Grade talent was proven wrong as recently as the last 12 months.

I'm pretty sure the likes of Leigh Matthews, Alan Jeans, Kevin Sheedy, Mick Malthouse, Alistair Clarkson and David Parkin weren't into inviting different opinions.

Four consecutive finals appearances (2008-11), we missed finals in 2007 (the team finished ninth). Equaled Alan Jeans' record (1970-73).

EDIT: my apologies, you meant coached us to five consecutive finals appearances, not five consecutive seasons. My bad :oops:
Last edited by samuraisaint on Thu 25 Jan 2024 1:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SinCitySainter
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 10:48am This screams of another one shown the door because he dared to disagree with Ross the boss.
I know I am in the minority but I really don't like Ross Lyon and cannot understand why he is touted as some kind of supercoach.
He has only had success, moderate success at that, when he has been handed A-grade talent.
He has always shown a tendency towards dictatorship within the clubs he is at with anyone that is not 100% behind his message shown the door.
While many will say that a dictatorship is good as everyone needs to be on the same page all the time that is simple not the case.
Success comes from inviting different opinions and incorporating the best of them while gently rejecting the others but still encouraging them.
He is also the coach with greatest win ratio, second most finals appearances, second most Grand Final appearances at St Kilda.

He is the only coach in history to take St Kilda to five consecutive finals appearances, albeit over two stints.

To call it "moderate success" is laughable. To say he has only been successful with A-Grade talent was proven wrong as recently as the last 12 months.

I'm pretty sure the likes of Leigh Matthews, Alan Jeans, Kevin Sheedy, Mick Malthouse, Alistair Clarkson and David Parkin weren't into inviting different opinions.

He is the coach with the greatest win ratio, easy when you are handed an A-grade list and jump ship before you have to rebuild.

He is the only coach in history to take St Kilda to five consecutive finals appearances, would he have done that if he hadn't run for the hills at a sniff of cash from Freo.

It is only "moderate success", we are in a competition with only 17 other teams, failing to win the competition means you can only ever be called moderately successful.

I would suggest that all of those coaches were very much into inviting different opinions, they all managed to work with highly opinionated individuals which lead to great success.
It is no coincidence that those individuals mentored some of the best current coaches, they didn't do that by expecting yes men and shooting anyone that doesn't blindly follow everything they say.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I am def. still on the Ross train and still feel the excitement and sense of possibility as much as I did when he was appointed.

I think we ended up way higher on the ladder in '23 than our credentials would suggest and rode wave after wave of luck as other teams hit roadblocks - and I don't even mind that one bit.

I think we will improve a lot this year, and possibly make the 8.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Saints58
Club Player

Would love to get Gil as CEO but if not him do we have someone else waiting.
what about Noble he is a great administrator not much of a coach but could be great.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

They may already have the replacement at the Club - Carl Dilena.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

You live and you learn. I'm sure he would have taken all the criticisms on board. He can't afford to make the same mistakes. He's too smart for that.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 3:10pm They may already have the replacement at the Club - Carl Dilena.
I think you're right.

saintkid
Club Player

Fantastic news!!
Lethlean should NEVER have been appointed as CEO, let alone General Manager of Football or COO.
Successful clubs/organizations do not have people of his calibre running the show.
Good riddance!!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 3:11pm

You live and you learn. I'm sure he would have taken all the criticisms on board. He can't afford to make the same mistakes. He's too smart for that.
Agree he is a very smart operator, and an ego maniac also.

Only time will tell if he’s capable of building a list though.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Get thee behind us Satan

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 3:29pm

I want the ego! I want a backbone. Sick of our club always being the preppy vanilla picks. Need to get some mongrel about us and not take s***. We were feared in 00s

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Ross had a hand in this one. It's got Bassett's fingerprints all over it.

It's clear the cleanout started in 2022, when Ratten was the last ditch effort to evolve. So therefore it's revolution and is all about removing the culture which crept in since 2011.

Guilt by association, for Lethlean. Only those close can say what it truly is.

Who's still left at the club (coaching, admin) from 2021?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I:'ve just rung the club about my membership,
and the nice lady I spoke to- Shannon (I think)
when I mentioned about Lethers walking, I could hear a little chuckle in her tone, and I could picture her smiling...
She said there was lots of talking and activity around the place today, I think she said 'exciting times' or something.

Anywaysss

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 3:47pm I:'ve just rung the club about my membership,
and the nice lady I spoke to- Shannon (I think)
when I mentioned about Lethers walking, I could hear a little chuckle in her tone, and I could picture her smiling...
She said there was lots of talking and activity around the place today, I think she said 'exciting times' or something.

Anywaysss
Did she say this yearly membership is a year of exploration? If she did sign me up and take my money

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 3:44pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 3:29pm

I want the ego! I want a backbone. Sick of our club always being the preppy vanilla picks. Need to get some mongrel about us and not take s***. We were feared in 00s
We had a list that caused fear in the 00s.

15 years ago.

I suppose we will find out in about 2 to 3 years time if the fear will return for our opponents.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Looks the right move

Lethlean as previous FM could not let footy role go once in CEO position

saint4life
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Well not all shotgun marriages end well.
I never got what was Lethlean's claim to all the executive positions he held. Other than Gill "suggesting" him with pen poised over our funding cheque.
Notable instances for me were: the Hannebery debacle (many in other jobs would be sacked for a stuff up of those proportions); his presentations to the Board during AR's time about his analysis of the losing often problem and it was reported his take (and AR's) was that players with over 50 games experience were not playing well - bit embarrassing to consider that was supposedly a result of careful expert analysis.
The organisation of Danny Frawley games had been quite poor. Extended Ratts and then had to watch as Board dismissed that on appeal.
Can't think of something very good he did, actually. Always looked thoughtful and brooding though, like a sober Glen Maxwell without the athleticism.
Dilena sounds a good fit.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 11:01am
magnifisaint wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 9:40am Is Ross toxic?
Maybe just a tad.
Maybe Lethlean stuck his beak in to Football Dept to much

Could not just stick to CEO

saint4life
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 4:31pm Well not all shotgun marriages end well.
I never got what was Lethlean's claim to all the executive positions he held. Other than Gill "suggesting" him with pen poised over our funding cheque.
Notable instances for me were: the Hannebery debacle (many in other jobs would be sacked for a stuff up of those proportions); his presentations to the Board during AR's time about his analysis of the losing often problem and it was reported his take (and AR's) was that players with over 50 games experience were not playing well - bit embarrassing to consider that was supposedly a result of careful expert analysis.
The organisation of Danny Frawley games had been quite poor. Extended Ratts and then had to watch as Board dismissed that on appeal.
Can't think of something very good he did, actually. Always looked thoughtful and brooding though, like a sober Glen Maxwell without the athleticism.
Dilena sounds a good fit.
Glad they got rid of the other guy who instigated the pride match. If that's how we are recognised then we are buggered. Get rid of that match also.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 9:51am
magnifisaint wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 9:40am Is Ross toxic?
Ross was a Captains pick by Bassett and that can create toxicity. It won’t be a problem if we are winning.

Ross only answers to Bassett and doesn’t recognise anybody else in the organisation as being his master so that can be toxic also. That won’t be a problem either if we are winning.

He had similar issues at Freo and it wasn’t a problem when they were winning. Big problems came in his final 4 years when he only had a winning percentage of 33%.

We need to keep winning. That could be a problem for a few years while the list is being rebuilt. I just hope St Kilda doesn’t do what St Kilda does and stuff this up. There are some heavy hitters in the coterie who can’t stand Ross. That’s where Bassett better not fall asleep at the wheel again and make sure he’s maintaining a vigilant watch over his Captains Pick.
Which Coterie specifically? I’m a member of one and that’s not the pervading view at all.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Saints58 wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 2:52pm Would love to get Gil as CEO but if not him do we have someone else waiting.
what about Noble he is a great administrator not much of a coach but could be great.
Noble has a great job way above in pay grade of St Kilda at V8 Supercars

Go you red, black & white warriors