Simon Lethlean finished at St. Kilda effective immediately?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Simon Lethlean finished at St. Kilda effective immediately?

Anybody hearing this?

Rumour is gathering steam on a few of the Saints FB pages.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Simon Lethlean finished at St. Kilda effective immediately?

In Ross We Trust

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Kurtly Beale is in court ATM over alleged assault in a dunny at a pub.
Maddy leaving Kurt n running back to the old unshaven creep?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 8:53am SEN just broke the news

No news stories I can find yet, but some will remember this Caroline Wilson piece last july:

'Saints deny talk of ‘disharmony’ behind the scenes... but a great fears a grim reality has set in'
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... a18c0c9d24

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Up on SEN

“St Kilda CEO Simon Lethlean will depart the club today, according to Tom Morris.

The club is suggesting the departure is mutual, but Morris believes there may be more to the story”.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/01/24/ ... ediately/?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Statement issued by the Club

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Club Statement:
Club Statement: Simon Lethlean to depart Club

St Kilda Football Club and Chief Executive Officer Simon Lethlean have agreed to part ways.

The Club’s Board and Lethlean have come to a decision that the demands of the Club and the requirements and focusses of the role of the CEO have shifted and it is now an appropriate time to look for a new leader.

St Kilda President Andrew Bassat thanked Lethlean for his contribution to the Club since joining in the 2018 pre-season as General Manager of Football, before being elevated to Chief Operating Officer then Chief Executive Officer in late 2022.

“Under Simon’s leadership, the Club has seen significant improvement on and off the field, including record membership and sponsorship levels in the club’s 150th year, and a top 8 finish last season following the implementation of the recommendations of the football review,” Bassat said.

“Simon also played the vital role in successfully navigating the club through the COVID pandemic, which included the Club returning to Finals in 2020 for the first time since 2011.

“The Club has undergone significant changes as a result of the 2022 Football Program Review which highlighted the need to elevate our Football Department and place football at the heart of everything we do, which we hope will see St Kilda competing for Premierships before too long.

“Simon and the Board share the view that a new CEO would be best placed to take the club forward.

“We wish Simon all the best and thank him for his commitment to the club and the contribution he made to St Kilda and our community.”

Lethlean said he was very appreciative of the opportunity to lead the St Kilda Football Club in both football and administration roles over the past six years.

“It is always a privilege to work in football, and I have had a great six years at St Kilda. I have loved every role, from GM Football, Chief Operating Officer and as CEO,” Lethlean said.

“I have had the opportunity to work with some fantastic people, and the members of the Club can feel very proud of the commitment and hard work of all the staff and players at the Club. It is an organisation with a lot of heart, and I want to thank past and present staff and players for all their support.

“The Club has a new coach and a new strategy, and I have agreed with the President that it is time for the Club to seek a new CEO.”

Current Chief Operating Officer Carl Dilena will assume the role of acting CEO. Dilena served 12 years as a Board Member of the North Melbourne Football Club, including seven years as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer prior to joining St Kilda in late 2022.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Does it surprise anyones?, things were rocky between Lethers and Ross from the outset.

Lethers was only ever using the club to rebuild his executive career.

Time we head hunted a seriously qualified CEO with AFL gravitas that will be in the job beyond 10 years.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Is Ross toxic?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
older saint
SS Life Member

Simon's security blanket Gil is no longer in charge so the gun to our head has been lowered somewhat.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Good. Lethlean was a big part of all issues at the club.
Only took 5-10 years to realise it.

Reading between the lines, was so fkn lazy and didn’t do the work expected of a CEO.

Good riddance.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lyon has effectively cleared everyone out now.

How long was he CEO

12 months?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 9:40am Is Ross toxic?
Ross was a Captains pick by Bassett and that can create toxicity. It won’t be a problem if we are winning.

Ross only answers to Bassett and doesn’t recognise anybody else in the organisation as being his master so that can be toxic also. That won’t be a problem either if we are winning.

He had similar issues at Freo and it wasn’t a problem when they were winning. Big problems came in his final 4 years when he only had a winning percentage of 33%.

We need to keep winning. That could be a problem for a few years while the list is being rebuilt. I just hope St Kilda doesn’t do what St Kilda does and stuff this up. There are some heavy hitters in the coterie who can’t stand Ross. That’s where Bassett better not fall asleep at the wheel again and make sure he’s maintaining a vigilant watch over his Captains Pick.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 9:51am
Ross was a Captains pick by Bassett and that can create toxicity. It won’t be a problem if we are winning.

Ross only answers to Bassett and doesn’t recognise anybody else in the organisation as being his master so that can be toxic also. That won’t be a problem either if we are winning.

He had similar issues at Freo and it wasn’t a problem when they were winning. Big problems came in his final 4 years when he only had a winning percentage of 33%.

We need to keep winning. That could be a problem for a few years while the list is being rebuilt. I just hope St Kilda doesn’t do what St Kilda does and stuff this up. There are some heavy hitters in the coterie who can’t stand Ross. That’s where Bassett better not fall asleep at the wheel again and make sure he’s maintaining a vigilant watch over his Captains Pick.
From my excellent vantage point, 12,000KMs away and no connections or clue, it does seem we went from a more democratic vibe under Ratts, to a more autocratic one under Ross. I don't mind.

All clubs have their politics of course, their grating relationships etc.

Well, if it comes done to winning, Ross is extremely lucky. We should have been 10th-12th based on our form in 2023, and as that article (the Caro one above) says, losing four of the last 5 record and losing to Gold Coast the previous week, I think Ross was right.

BUt how about the pile on from Cornes and Llyod? Didn't take long for the haters (who had been drawing a long bow from the start) to release the arrow!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SinCitySainter
Club Player

This screams of another one shown the door because he dared to disagree with Ross the boss.
I know I am in the minority but I really don't like Ross Lyon and cannot understand why he is touted as some kind of supercoach.
He has only had success, moderate success at that, when he has been handed A-grade talent.
He has always shown a tendency towards dictatorship within the clubs he is at with anyone that is not 100% behind his message shown the door.
While many will say that a dictatorship is good as everyone needs to be on the same page all the time that is simple not the case.
Success comes from inviting different opinions and incorporating the best of them while gently rejecting the others but still encouraging them.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

People underestimate how much of a workaholic Ross is plus he is very intelligent. So effective immediately means sacked. The Board has stepped in. Seems like Leathers has f***ed up. He's the best coach St Kilda have had bar Jeans. I have no doubt we will be in the hunt again. You'd be crazy to write this team off.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Maybe just a tad.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 10:53am People underestimate how much of a workaholic Ross is plus he is very intelligent. So effective immediately means sacked. The Board has stepped in. Seems like Leathers has f***ed up. He's the best coach St Kilda have had bar Jeans. I have no doubt we will be in the hunt again. You'd be crazy to write this team off.
Will only be as good as the players on his list allow.

His last 4 years at Freo yielded only a 33% win rate which is worse than Richos record over a 5 year period. There was a mass exodus of players and also threats of players and staff threatening to leave towards the end of Ross’s time at Freo.

Will only be as good as the players on his list, his method is proven with a cherry ripe talent laden list, not so much with a list that needs needs developing so he’s got a lot to learn in that regard. As I say, Bassett can’t afford to fall asleep at the wheel again as Ross is his man and he needs to just monitor him closely.

st sandy
Club Player

Thanks Simon for your service to the club
Leading the saints is not a simple task
Over the years (not just last 12 months) I found your tenure at the club provided stability & left me feeling the club was in a safe hands
Best wishes for your future career.

Ajantis
Club Player

Typical St.Kilda shyte before the season starts - seen this so many times, and then the same old answer for a poor season.
Never learn St.Kilda thats why we are not rated a serious club.
Another disappointing season ahead, and they ask become a member ! hahahah

axcellence
Club Player

Thank God!

Only captains picks - Dan Hanneberry, Brad Hill and Max King

Max is a good player but even money at this stage as the other option was Rozee who is a superstar. Still to play out how well Max turns out as it's still potential.

Brad Hill - not sure about this one. Overall, doesn't look like a good option. Good player. Just feels overpaid both at the draft table and compared to actual performance.

Hanneberry - absolute disaster

So, I am hoping whoever comes in place of Lethlean will be less inclined to meddle into recruitment.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 10:53am People underestimate how much of a workaholic Ross is plus he is very intelligent. So effective immediately means sacked. The Board has stepped in. Seems like Leathers has f***ed up. He's the best coach St Kilda have had bar Jeans. I have no doubt we will be in the hunt again. You'd be crazy to write this team off.
Yet many of the so-called experts think we’ll miss finals. Opinions are like arseholes in the AFL media.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Entirely predictable that the footy media will jump on this insignificant story and link it to disharmony between the senior coach and CEO.

What would they, or for that matter St Kilda supporters, know about the real facts.

A lot of this stems from the way people perceive Ross Lyon, it's been that way ever since he departed the club in September 2011 and certainly prejudices many supporters on this forum.

His reappointment in October 2022 polarised a lot of people, the media is well aware of this and love the chance to stick a knife into him!

Seen in the cold hard light of day it looks to me as a natural progression for both Lethlean and the club - I wonder if Gill has told AB he wants the job :lol: :lol:

Now that would be Saintsational!!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think Thommo is equal second TBH. Under him during 2004-6 seasons we won more matches than any other team in the AFL. RL deserves kudos because we won preliminary finals when he was coach (and drew a grand final), but GT was great too.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

SinCitySainter wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 10:48am This screams of another one shown the door because he dared to disagree with Ross the boss.
I know I am in the minority but I really don't like Ross Lyon and cannot understand why he is touted as some kind of supercoach.
He has only had success, moderate success at that, when he has been handed A-grade talent.
He has always shown a tendency towards dictatorship within the clubs he is at with anyone that is not 100% behind his message shown the door.
While many will say that a dictatorship is good as everyone needs to be on the same page all the time that is simple not the case.
Success comes from inviting different opinions and incorporating the best of them while gently rejecting the others but still encouraging them.
He is also the coach with greatest win ratio, second most finals appearances, second most Grand Final appearances at St Kilda.

He is the only coach in history to take St Kilda to five consecutive finals appearances, albeit over two stints.

To call it "moderate success" is laughable. To say he has only been successful with A-Grade talent was proven wrong as recently as the last 12 months.

I'm pretty sure the likes of Leigh Matthews, Alan Jeans, Kevin Sheedy, Mick Malthouse, Alistair Clarkson and David Parkin weren't into inviting different opinions.

History shows the hard line works.