Training footage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Training footage

A couple of training videos posted lately by the club (Today) and SaintsTV (Monday)

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1481613/ ... s-and-more

So thankfully I can join in the fun and give my own training report.

Membrey looks fit, strong, and primed.
Collard amongst it, could surprise.
Caminiti is ripped
Small bit of vision of Higgins front and centre is exciting
Battle prominent, primed for more improvement
Nas and Hill connecting is going to be exciting again this year

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training footage

Love that Darcy Wilson actually handpasses (with a clenched fist) - and not the silly little slap off the hand that seems to be creeping in.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Are the Saints training on Monday 22/01/2024 ? i plan on going .

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
shrodes
SS Life Member

Credit kick it lace out
Bigfooty Training Report Friday 19th January
By kick it lace out

* Crouch, Caminiti, Van Ess, Jones & Hayes in the rehab group.

* Pou & Howard both went for a swim at the DFC.

* No Butler. Also, I didn't notice Sharman.

* Max & Marshall were called out to the middle where Marshall gave Max a good work out on his shoulder. Max got through easily and was involved in the general warm up with the group. He then joined the rehab group for a short time during match sim, but joined back in main training towards the end.

* Crouch & Jones will be joining main training next week

* Owens: I know a lot has been said about him, but it's hard not to take your eyes off him. He has presence. He makes some of our veterans look tiny. He is huge - particularly his thighs which are the size of tree trunks.

* Liam Henry once again impressive. Very noticeable and his skills are actually really good. I know there was a question mark over his kicking but from what i have seen this pre-season, his skills have been excellent. He seems like he is enjoying being a saint and is very popular amongst the group. He and Hill work really well together and share similar attributes.

* There was one kicking drill (kicking to a target running directly at you) - this was executed brilliantly, and for me, our skills this pre-season are so far advanced to anything I have seen over the last few pre-seasons.

* Nas's kicking is elite. He caresses his kicks and I don't think he missed a target today. He's also got a lot of poise, taking an extra second or two to weigh up the options in front of him. He seems far more confident in himself.

* Riley Bonner, is similar in many ways to Nas, with his elite kicking skills. He's had an excellent pre-season and for me has been one of the stand outs.

* There was drill which involved bringing the ball into the forward line from the half way mark. A couple of short kicks to either a wide target or a more direct short target, before a long kick to the top of the square. If the ball was spoilt, the defenders then had to work the ball back to the centre of the ground. To me it looks like we still have some work to do with our forward entries, but we look good moving the ball out of the backline. It helps when you have elite kickers like Nas, Sinclair & Bonner kicking the ball out.

* Hugo Garcia doesn't mind throwing his body on the line. Very courageous and he's a really good size for an 18 yo. Stood next to him on the boundary and I was surprised how built (and tall) he is.

* Full ground match sim with AFL umpires (Leigh Fischer being one of them). Liam Henry, Sinclair, Wilkes & Tim Membrey were the standouts. At one point, Liam Henry received the ball, broke away from the pack and nailed a kick onto Tim Membrey's chest. It was a thing of beauty. RTB stood on the middle of the wing watching the match sim. I was watching RTB, and it looked to me like he had one eye on where the ball was and the other eye further up the ground looking at movement & positioning of those further up the ground. He was pretty vocal again today.

* Of our new recruits, Lance Collard did some absolutely spectacular things today. At one point he nearly took an absolute speccy over Jimmy Webster, and then one minute later he was in the back line spoiling Matthew Allison. He leapt up to spoil Allison, landed on his feet, pivoted and then took off - it was a thing of beauty. This kid has so many tricks. He's going to be a handful for opposition defenders and a joy to watch for saints fans. He'll need a bit of time, but he has star written all over him.

* Isaac Keeler drops far too many marks. He lacks confidence in his ability. There were a few times today where he was one out with a much shorter opponent and had a sit on them, but somehow managed to drop the mark or allow his opponent to spoil. He lacks physicality in the contest. He's not particularly strong in the air but for a guy his size, he has some wheels. It will be fun to watch him develop at Sandy for another year. I can't see him playing ruck - he just lacks physicality at this stage of his career.

* Stocker is another one who stood out. He was really good defensively particularly against much taller opponents. He's also been really impressive all pre-season.

* I must admit, I haven't noticed Paddy Dow all that much. He's there and he does some ok stuff but based on what i've seen of pre-season, I can't see a spot for him in round 1. Steele, Crouch, Seb, Clarke, Owens & Windy are all ahead of him in my opinion.

Saintmike65
Club Player

bobmurray wrote: Sat 20 Jan 2024 12:55am Are the Saints training on Monday 22/01/2024 ? i plan on going .
Yes…9.45 at RSEA park

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 20 Jan 2024 1:29pm
bobmurray wrote: Sat 20 Jan 2024 12:55am Are the Saints training on Monday 22/01/2024 ? i plan on going .
Yes…9.45 at RSEA park
Thanks Mike.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I was at training Monday, so what's my big scoop ?

Caminiti has had his ears pinned in the off season. :lol: :lol:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 12:19am I was at training Monday, so what's my big scoop ?

Caminiti has had his ears pinned in the off season. :lol: :lol:
Noooooo. I loved calling him flappers

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

So perhaps Max will be right for Round One?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 11:07am So perhaps Max will be right for Round One?
Good question ?

Max, Hammer and Jack Hayes are all training in the rehab group, so who knows which Key Forwards will be available for Round 1.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 23 Jan 2024 11:07am So perhaps Max will be right for Round One?
I think he’s fully expected to be ready well before then.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Caution is the better part of valour. All three are just naturally talented and can just play the 50 and leave the running the runners. Get them strong and match fitness will come.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Credit to Barrels
BigFooty training wrap 31.01.2024
By Barrels

Very preliminary notes…

Happy to answer questions.

* Dow off to the DFC for rehab. Didn’t train at all. (Reported bone bruising)

* Arie a very big (built) boy. Moves pretty smoothly. Only ran laps.

* Collard, Hotton, and Henry just doing goalkicking early. All joined in the later drills.

* Crouch had pretty heavy strapping on his left knee.

* Irishman got a ton of one-on-one coaching.

* Allison an insane athlete. As has been said plenty, jury still out if he’s an AFL footballer. Like the Irishman, got a lot of one-on-one advice.

* Two-part kicking to an I-50 lead drill was good. Quite clear to me that Pou is being used as a conduit between midfield and deep forward; expect him to roam a bit this year.

* Lenny was the coach the in-close evasiveness drills; pretty good bloke to learn from.

* Chito and Battle only have one speed… FULL KILL.

* Hunter still more or less built like a pool noodle, but bizarrely strong, especially through the hips.

* Paton is clearly being used as a defensive/run-with mid.

* Half ground attacking drill; Moose not clunking marks in the drill, but keeping Wilkie very honest and halving the contest.

* Hill, Bonner, Sinclair, NWM, Hunter and Pou are being used as the primary ball-movers.

* Stocker is extremely vocal in drills. Very much a defensive “general” type.

* Irishman has an impressively natural kicking action.

* No Campbell or Marshall sighting.

* McLennan took an absolute SCREAMER over Hammer right in front of me. Absolute MOTY type. 😳

* Lastly…
Maximus Decimus Meridious King back into full training