Some Cause For Hope

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Some Cause For Hope

This guy posted the following on Big Footy after training today. It needs no introduction and speaks for itself. It seems that the club is finally moving in the right direction. Interesting observation on Riley Bonner.

" It was interesting to be able to get down to training after not having been able to do so for probably a couple of years. Firstly, there seems to be two distinct groups of people that get along, one that congregates around the gate onto the ground and seems quite social, and then another group of those scattered around the seats in the DFC. I can only remember scattered individuals at training previously, individuals in a desperate and unfulfilled search for hope. This was quite a change in atmosphere! I have no doubt that I may well have had a chat with a couple of posters from here given the caps being worn!!o_O

The big difference was training itself. Very structured, countdown timers on the screen for drills, coaches watching every aspect and providing immediate feedback and instruction etc. The standard has improved markedly from our players. Training is not playing, but the general hand and foot skills are light years better than 18 months ago! It was noticeable also that the standard of goal kicking throughout the roughly 2-hour session was the best I have ever seen!

Being early days in terms of the 2024 season, I had to look up player numbers for some new faces and number changes, but one that stood out to me was Bonner, seemed to be a very dominant presence and end up with a lot of the ball and I didn't see him miss a single disposal.

I know it's a focus, and still a work in progress, but based on what I saw our ball movement into our F50 looks like it will finally be AFL standard this season. It was an interesting experience because Mrs TB and I were going to the Melbourne Museum for the Titanic exhibition after training, so she was with me at training. Although a lifelong Saints fan, she is not a hard-core footy person, and it was the first (and probably last) time she has ever attended a training session. The fact that she could clearly understand the purpose and intention of the drills being run speaks volumes of the standards and direction of our training now. Two years ago, training more closely resembled a Chinese fire-drill. "

And this for another training attendee:

" Garcia is a competitive beast, huge run from behind to spoil a mark.

Collard is a wizard!
Ball spills off pack goal side, like a seagull he swooped on it, bends down slid his right hand along the grass like a spatula picking up the ball and snapped the goal."

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Some Cause For Hope

Riley Bonner may well be selected ahead of Jimmy Webster and Liam Stocker for the spare HB spot, has runs on the board from his PA days too.

Likewise Lance Collard could give Jack Higgins and Dan Butler a run for their money at HF or in the pocket.

Ross Lyon will be licking his lips at the prospect of having some real depth on the list.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Two months to go before our first game. It's very early on in the case of match simulations, so there are bound to be those who start slow and then really wind up and press for round one selection.

Apart from.the recent draftees, I'm interested to see how Hotton, Allison, Van Es and Keeler go. I think it's important for these guys to really show something during this preseason, not only in ability but also in drive. So far, I've seen nothing in Van Es and Allison to get excited about. Hotton has ability, but the track watchers haven't noticed him, while Keeler continues to show glimpses of magic, but that is all.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 15 Jan 2024 3:04pm Riley Bonner may well be selected ahead of Jimmy Webster and Liam Stocker for the spare HB spot, has runs on the board from his PA days too.

Likewise Lance Collard could give Jack Higgins and Dan Butler a run for their money at HF or in the pocket.

Ross Lyon will be licking his lips at the prospect of having some real depth on the list.
Probably the most hotly contested spot in the starting 18 that 4th utility defender role who can play on small or medium forwards. Between Webster, Stocker, Bonner, Paton.

None are game-breakers like Sinclair and WIlkie yet.

I'm not sure Bonner gets the nod until he can prove his defensive side.

NickyDal
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 15 Jan 2024 3:04pm Riley Bonner may well be selected ahead of Jimmy Webster and Liam Stocker for the spare HB spot, has runs on the board from his PA days too.

Not a chance in hell...

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I was there

Have been a number of times, this time I wasn’t impressed (bar the running at the end - we can run!)

Something bothers me about Collard, his body language seems a bit disinterested or not invested? Maybe it’s just his persona?

In the full match sim, the skills were very average. There were 6 Sandy boys training. Lots of fumbles and turnovers.

During the lighter match sim, not full ground 12vs 12 it was a bit better.

Training is very structured- very short drills 5-15mins

It was a pretty gruelling session in the heat
I’m impressed by
Henry, Hill, NWM, Stocker, Owens, Windhager, Wilson, Schoenmaker, Wood, Garcia, Sincs, Bonner

Keeler and Allison in defence
Cordy and Heath forward

Not training
Rehab Group
Jones, Crouch, Hayes, Caminiti, Marshall
Modified
King
In and out of match sim/drills
Garcia
Didn’t do the repeat running at the end but ran laps
Clark
In the pool - did not train
Phillipou

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wilson absolutely smashed the running

In the top group with
A Sandy kid who can really run, Byrnes, Windhager

He blew them away in the end

shrodes
SS Life Member

Credit to kick it lace out
Bigfooty training wrap
15/01/2024

By kick it lace out

Training Report 15/01/2024

* Caminiti, Marshall, Crouch, Jones & Hayes in rehab group.

* King took part with the main group for the first half of the session (wearing a fluro hat obviously meaning 'no contact'), but then joined the rehab group when the match sim drills started.

* There was one handball drill at the beginning which was carried out in very high intensity and lots of voice. It feels like training has ramped up now that the season is approaching.

* Stocker was very instructional & vocal, often providing feedback to the younger guys, with Shoenmakers in particular bearing the brunt of some of his 'feedback'. A couple of times he yelled out to him to 'work it out' in reference to his positioning against his opponent.

* Darcy Wilson has serious speed and finesse. At one point he broke out of congestion with ease, burning off his opponent. He also has great kicking skills hitting targets on the chest at will. He knows when to pull the kick so as not to over hit it. Lock him in for round 1.

* Pou not training today, and I saw him walking back from the pool.

* Mini match sim made up of 2 lots of 10 Vs 10 on opposite wings. There were also AFL umpires umpiring these mini match sim games. At one point RTB stopped the drill and yelled something out to the 4 groups. I didn't quite hear what it was but I suspect he wasn't happy with the standard. He was very vocal during the match sim, providing lots of feedback and instruction, and pulled up quite a few players for taking the wrong option.

* Then moved to full ground match sim (18 v 18). Interestingly Isaac Keeler played in the backline, with Heath v Campbell in the ruck. (From what i've seen, I think Heath is better suited as a forward than ruck at this stage of his career).

* Hill, Windy, Henry & Sharman very prominent during the match sim, with Henry in particular receiving lots of praise from RTB during one passage of play. (very audible)

* Liam O'Connell has pretty good kicking skills for someone new to the game. A good size - one to watch.

* Allison trained well and has impressed over the pre-season. He could easily play on the wing as he has excellent endurance (could be the new Mason Wood) as he would be a very difficult match up for most wingmen with him being 195cm with the ability to run up down the wings all day long.

* Keeler really needs to work on his physical strength (out bodied in pretty much every one on one contest), as well as his endurance. He was constantly hunched over gasping for air, and struggled with repeat efforts.

* We will have a very powerful midfield this year with the likes of Steele, Crouch, Ross, Dow, Clarke, Jones, Windy & even Owens running through there occasionally, with lots of outside speed. No doubt Liam Henry was recruited to help wiht our outside speed.

* Of our draftees, I think Wilson & Shoenmakers are the two most likely to play this season whilst the others will need more development. Collard has all the tricks but does not have an AFL body yet. I also think he lacks intensity. He no doubt has x - factor, but I'm not sure he's quite ready.

* During one drill, Skunk chased down Hugo Garcia with a bone crunching tackle from behind, and pretty much all 40 players erupted in cheers. I heard RTB yell out, "Hugo, welcome to the AFL".

* Mitch Owens was almost unstoppable in the one on one marking contests. He pushed opponents off the ball with ease. (I can see why David King got excited).

* There are quite few top-ups training with us (I suspect from the Zebras) and none of them look out of place.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

When you say skills very average BM, do you mean average for a mid season game of AFL, or average for the first match sim of the preseason?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

HUGO!...WELCOME TO THE AFL!

The best bit.

Members getting back to his best will be better for our forward line development than any other factor by 10.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I just saw some footage of the training, and from the little I saw, Max Heath should be tried at FF.
Moves beautifully. Knows when to lead.
He'd probably kick 50 in a season.

Maybe play him there in the practise matches, anyway?

Max King could be played at CHF, with more space to work?

Twin towers ... see what it looks like, anyway?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Average for an AFL team

Ball movement was scrappy

I’ve been to about half a dozen sessions- in most of them there has been match sim

It’s not the first one

Most training sessions are very similar if not the same.

1- kick to kick - pairs
2- Warm Up
3- lane work
4 - Touch drills
5- 3 group rotation same drills
One with Harvey, one with Enright, one with Goddard/Hayes
Move from stoppage to forwards
6- half ground longways (centre to wing 4 teams match sim 10 per team
7- across the ground match sim - 3 teams of 12 rotating
The resting team have goal kicking at one end
8- full ground match sim - 2 teams all players
9-more touch drills and goal kicking
10- Running
300m x 6 (every 2mins)
200m x 6 (every minute)
Under overs x 3

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 15 Jan 2024 8:55pm Average for an AFL team

Ball movement was scrappy

I’ve been to about half a dozen sessions- in most of them there has been match sim

It’s not the first one

Most training sessions are very similar if not the same.

1- kick to kick - pairs
2- Warm Up
3- lane work
4 - Touch drills
5- 3 group rotation same drills
One with Harvey, one with Enright, one with Goddard/Hayes
Move from stoppage to forwards
6- half ground longways (centre to wing 4 teams match sim 10 per team
7- across the ground match sim - 3 teams of 12 rotating
The resting team have goal kicking at one end
8- full ground match sim - 2 teams all players
9-more touch drills and goal kicking
10- Running
300m x 6 (every 2mins)
200m x 6 (every minute)
Under overs x 3
Did you have your eye test goggles on BM. Any fatty's in the group?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Brad Hill has certainly lost some Ks since 2022

That’s for sure

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Speaking about Aerobic Capacity

Cordy and Heath are not AFL fit

Campbell (a 31yo 201cm 108kg man mountain) was beating them by 50m of 300m runs! Heath was gassed for most of the session

Cordy has the running style of Dane Swan without the speed, power or aerobic capacity

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 15 Jan 2024 9:05pm Brad Hill has certainly lost some Ks since 2022

That’s for sure
How much does a spare tyre weigh champ?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

About as much as hill lost off his guts last year……. Champ

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 15 Jan 2024 9:18pm About as much as hill lost off his guts last year……. Champ
🤣

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Never really needed a cause for hope (thought it came with being a Saints supporter)). All through Watters and Richardson I hoped....mainly for a miracle.
Now: certainly looking forward to live footy this year. Quite exciting prospects, don't you think.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 15 Jan 2024 9:09pm Speaking about Aerobic Capacity

Campbell (a 31yo 201cm 108kg man mountain) was beating them by 50m of 300m runs! Heath was gassed for most of the session

Cordy has the running style of Dane Swan without the speed, power or aerobic capacity
Campbell is clearly an outstanding VFL footballer. A VFL legend. Should we build him a statue or a new stand at Sandy?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He is not a vfl legend - but is a pretty good player in the vfl

He’s played about 30 games for Sandy. Maybe not a statue just yet?!

NickyDal
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 15 Jan 2024 8:35pm HUGO!...WELCOME TO THE AFL!

The best bit.

Members getting back to his best will be better for our forward line development than any other factor by 10.
Membrey is no longer best 22. He loses his spot to Sharman....

NeXus Nick
NickyDal
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 15 Jan 2024 9:09pm Speaking about Aerobic Capacity

Heath will become as good as Jeff Sarau...

NeXus Nick
B.M
Saintsational Legend

And Cooper become as good as Nick Reiwoldt

Dreaming!!!

Somewhere between Billy Longer and Lewis Pierce

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 16 Jan 2024 2:12pm And Cooper become as good as Nick Reiwoldt

Dreaming!!!

Somewhere between Billy Longer and Lewis Pierce
Heath is significantly better playing forward than any other young ruckman we have had on the list, possibly matching Marshall in that regard. Marshall has the advantage of being a great aerobic runner, which Heath lacks, but I project Heath to be similiar to an Ivan Soldo / Lloyd Meek type player.

Heath is still only 21yo and most ruckman dont mature until they are 24-25yo, his strength and ruck craft will improve with age, but there is no doubt he needs to find a way to improve his aerobic running capacities if he is to become a worthy Marshall replacement.