Umpires perception

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Umpires perception

Bag umpires as much as anyone.
Often incredulous at some decisions/ non decisions even as I appreciate the difficulty. Just watched half an hour of the test and have been gob smacked by the ineptitude of the umpires.
Now I appreciate that the key quality of a review umpire is to be incredibly anal, nit picking and to abandon logic but how umpires standing in real time can make mistake after mistake, with serious consequences, amazes me.
Where do they get these guys and are their senses ever tested under a stress situation. The standard really is nonsense. Dickie Bird must have been one in a million.
Actually test umps make Aussie Rules umps look very good.

Big Max
Club Player

Re: Umpires perception

It begs the question .. were the test umpires better in the day before the 3rd umpire and slow=mo replayes ..

Off the cuff ... I don't recall too many 'howlers' in the days of Lawry, Chappell and Lillie ...

I can remember the 50/50 decisions generally favoring the home team though .. especially in England .. although I also remember plenty of .. LBW bowled Alderman ...

Or do I just have selective memory?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s hard to tell. I can’t imagine the standard has really changed all that much - rather I think there’s just extra commentary with social media and the extra carry on.

The other part of this IMO is that in days gone by… ppl more often than not accepted the umpires decision and just moved on. Now It feels more like if there’s a howler, it’s tainted the match

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think much of most of the international umpires, but Joel Wilson from Trinidad is first rate and seemingly unflappable. In the Steve Bucknor mould.

Sadly he’s not officiating in the current test.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saynta
Saintsational Legend

They were hopeless in this last test.

NickyDal
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 10:35am They were hopeless in this last test.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I certainly think that LBW decisions far and away favour the bowlers now.
But everything else is now in favour of the bat with new equipment, shorter grounds and it is extremely rare to get a dodgy pitch.

In the older eras the unwritten rule of benefit of the doubt to the batsman (not batter) has changed.
In the past you were safe if you were too far down the pitch and struck on the pad for the umpire to make a call of what the ball was doing between hitting the pad and the stumps.

Current technology seems to somehow judge trajectory and spin, which I don't really think is accurate and you can be given LBW 2 meters in front of your crease, which never happened in the past. I'd trust an autopilot car more than the cricket tech.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I am waiting for the match where DRS is hacked.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I think curly should be approached for his opinion on this matter

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

What DRS has shown us is how difficult it is to umpire sports in a modern environment. We've given over human responsibility to machines in most sports. Tennis, baseball, NFL, soccer, cricket, and of course, AFL.

It has shown us the future. Tennis has removed line umpires entirely at the elite level, with very little controversy. The cricket equivalent has largely removed the "howler" type decision.

Of course, no system is perfect, but as technology improves, especially with AI, I can see the day when there will be no need for human umpires in cricket at all.

No balls are already called entirely by technology, as are run outs, stumpings, and with the way DRS is used, every lbw, every bat-pad, disputed catches, and most caught-behind decisions.

So what's left to adjudicate? Obvious catches, bowled dismissals? No need for human intervention in most of them and if there is any doubt, go to the DRS. Simples!

As for AFL, the controversies around goal review decisions have not been caused by the technology, but by mistakes in human interpretation of the available evidence. The infamous Adelaide "non-goal" is a classic example.

Can you imagine disputing a decision as a crowd member in the future if technology becomes the umpire? Will it take out our second favourite aspect of the game, namely abusing the umpires?

Yelling out "You technology-based" maggot!", just doesn't have the same ring to it as "You white/yellow/green maggot!"

The HAL 900 awaits. :shock:

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I read a Chinese chess champion cheated by having a communication device up his bottom. Look forward to how judicial technology deals with that level of deception, although in footy and cricket it's hard to run with a suppository so there may not be technology transfer.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 8:01pm I read a Chinese chess champion cheated by having a communication device up his bottom. Look forward to how judicial technology deals with that level of deception, although in footy and cricket it's hard to run with a suppository so there may not be technology transfer.
Fascinating, you seem to know a fair bit about the subject, is it possible the cheating ends with a happy ending?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 11:01pm
Yorkeys wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 8:01pm I read a Chinese chess champion cheated by having a communication device up his bottom. Look forward to how judicial technology deals with that level of deception, although in footy and cricket it's hard to run with a suppository so there may not be technology transfer.
Fascinating, you seem to know a fair bit about the subject, is it possible the cheating ends with a happy ending?
Anal beads.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 1:13pm
saynta wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 10:35am They were hopeless in this last test.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:roll:
You really are pushing it.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 11:35pm
Anal beads.

Keeping a straight face would take practice huh?

I suppose you’d have to learn Morse code also which could create a fine line between pleasure and communication I’m guessing and then you’d have to be careful not to prematurely check mate?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 08 Jan 2024 2:05pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 11:35pm
Anal beads.

Keeping a straight face would take practice huh?
A poker face is needed. But even the world of poker is now shaking and has caught the vibe.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/other ... 139948.amp

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!