Sharman will become the GOAT in 2024....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

NickyDal
Club Player

Re: Sharman will become the GOAT in 2024....

Big Max wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 8:30pm Seriously doubt Sharman will ever be the 'Greatest of all time', but I'd be delighted if he became a GAP (good average player) and finished top 10 in our B&F.
He definitely will. He is a natural footballer. I can see him being top 3 in our best & fairest one day...

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

NickyDal wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 8:43pm
Big Max wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 8:30pm Seriously doubt Sharman will ever be the 'Greatest of all time', but I'd be delighted if he became a GAP (good average player) and finished top 10 in our B&F.
He definitely will. He is a natural footballer. I can see him being top 3 in our best & fairest one day...
Top 3 in the b&f
!=
GOAT

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
NickyDal
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 9:38pm
NickyDal wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 8:43pm
Top 3 in the b&f
!=
GOAT
GOAT is a slight exaggeration on my part... :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NeXus Nick
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Love to see him cement his spot in the F50,
Very smart player, a real footballer

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what position he is suited to

He is not a key forward - undersized

He is not a hybrid - not good enough at ground level

I think his best chance is to add 5-8kg

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 05 Jan 2024 3:18pm Not sure what position he is suited to

An enigma.

(It's understandable how Vtex would go hard early with trade mark negatively, sensing blood, early kill. Still cleaning egg off face not knowing why the call was so wrong, incapable of acknowledging Cooper is pretty good. )

Sanctorum
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 8:53am A certain self proclaimed know it all on here will hope that's not true.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sanctorum
Club Player

If Tim Membrey gets back to playing in best form it might be difficult for Cooper Sharman to get a game as third tall, a role that Michito Owens excelled in last year; Mattaes Phillipou is another one in contention for that spot.

While I like Sharman, I'm not sure he is in my best 23, much will depend on how he and Membrey play in the pre-season scratch games.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think it is a valid question but surely the prototype here is Tim Membrey right.

That’s ideally who he has to play as… not as good a leap as Tim but arguably a better pack mark and certainly a better kick.

In terms of lining up according to the AFL App

TM - 188cm, 92kg
CS - 193cm, 88kg

If he gets a bit stronger without getting heavy, Coops pbly ends up playing that role with his own twist

NickyDal
Club Player

He is exactly the same height as N. Riewoldt.

NeXus Nick
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I00s of players have been the same height or taller than Nick Riewoldt.

But he’s not as fit, not as strong , not as good a leader etc

Rooey was exceptional.

Coops also doesn’t play like Nick Riewoldt. Their styles are completely different.

So I don’t get the point of bringing up his height.

The discussion here is about the attributes Coops does have and his best role. It certainly ain’t going to be playing key position forward like Rooey did.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sharman has had good development in the shadow of Membrey.

He can now run and carry himself.

As evidenced in the final and in his first season, he can also impact devastatingly in the forward line.

He has had a run in defence and has been developing agility and endurace.

I'm seeing a taller Luke Breust, who stays foward but can go get the ball up on the wings in short spurts as a marking target.

Alongside King Caminiti and Collard he could play 60% forward and rotate with wingman and mids with Owens, Phillipou as a third tall rotation and offers both of those players to develop strongly

Phillipou 65% mid 15% forward 20% bench
Owens 65% mid 15% forward 20% bench
Sharman 60% forward 20% wing rotations, 20% bench.

He can also go back in a pinch.
Henry, Windhager, Sinclair and Hotton could also slip forward and rotate off after goals.

If Caminiti or Keeler can indeed go into the ruck or CHB, then he will be handy, post Membrey.

Sharman will also put pressure on Membrey who is his last year, very tradable and still has reasonable value.

Good recruiting and list development.

NickyDal
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 05 Jan 2024 5:35pm I00s of players have been the same height or taller than Nick Riewoldt.

Rooey was exceptional.

Coops also doesn’t play like Nick Riewoldt. Their styles are completely different.

The discussion here is about the attributes Coops does have and his best role. It certainly ain’t going to be playing key position forward like Rooey did.
Sharman will be as fit, as strong and hopefully as good a leader as Rooey in another 3 years. Did you forget that Sharman is only 23. Give him another 3 pre-seasons and he will be a beast. There is no point comparing a 23 year old Coops to a 26 year old Rooey. :roll: :roll: :roll:

NeXus Nick
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 05 Jan 2024 5:44pm Sharman has had good development in the shadow of Membrey.

He can now run and carry himself.

As evidenced in the final and in his first season, he can also impact devastatingly in the forward line.

He has had a run in defence and has been developing agility and endurace.

I'm seeing a taller Luke Breust, who stays foward but can go get the ball up on the wings in short spurts as a marking target.

Alongside King Caminiti and Collard he could play 60% forward and rotate with wingman and mids with Owens, Phillipou as a third tall rotation and offers both of those players to develop strongly

Phillipou 65% mid 15% forward 20% bench
Owens 65% mid 15% forward 20% bench
Sharman 60% forward 20% wing rotations, 20% bench.

He can also go back in a pinch.
Henry, Windhager, Sinclair and Hotton could also slip forward and rotate off after goals.

If Caminiti or Keeler can indeed go into the ruck or CHB, then he will be handy, post Membrey.

Sharman will also put pressure on Membrey who is his last year, very tradable and still has reasonable value.

Good recruiting and list development.

The three of them rotating through the forward line has merit and gives us different looks.

I don't necessarily agree with the % splits but like the idea.

Whats interesting is the point this raises- Sharmans ability to lock down a space is relying on one of three things to occur.

1. The decline of Tim Membrey
2. The ability for Pou and Owens to play significant midfield time.
3. Other injuries

A forward line that looks like the below excites me (assuming everyone is fit)

Coops/Pou/Owens, Membrey/Coops/Hammer, Hill/Henry
Higgins, King, Butler

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Fri 05 Jan 2024 11:37pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 05 Jan 2024 5:35pm I00s of players have been the same height or taller than Nick Riewoldt.

Rooey was exceptional.

Sharman will be as fit, as strong and hopefully as good a leader as Rooey in another 3 years. Did you forget that Sharman is only 23. Give him another 3 pre-seasons and he will be a beast. There is no point comparing a 23 year old Coops to a 26 year old Rooey. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I’m a big Coops fan but that is just plain silly.

At 23, Roo was already elite. They’re not comparable in any way. Not now and not in 5 years time. Sharman isn’t on that trajectory.

That’s not a slight on Coops in the least - he’s a promising young player that I’ve backed in from the start. But he’s not going to be a generational talent like Rooey (from memory, another player that you repeatedly posted we should trade). That’s why pointing out the size similarity was pointless. They’re not like for like and they don’t play similarly.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

this year will be telling and perhaps a turning point for both Membrey and Sharman, as one declines and the other rises

Both competing for a spot, both covering the spot - rest one week, rotate, a bit of mental health respite, rotate, brother in law bulls***, rest ... and rejoin

There's a Shar-man waiting in the sky

saint6709
Club Player

As someone has already said Sharman is a smart player and has the skill to deliver the ball where he wants it on a fairly consistent basis

As a result he is involved in some great team plays and is as reliable as anyone else in the team shooting for goal

I think he is definitely best 23

NickyDal
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 06 Jan 2024 12:34am
NickyDal wrote: Fri 05 Jan 2024 11:37pm

Rooey was exceptional.

I’m a big Coops fan but that is just plain silly.

At 23, Roo was already elite. They’re not comparable in any way. Not now and not in 5 years time. Sharman isn’t on that trajectory.

That’s not a slight on Coops in the least - he’s a promising young player that I’ve backed in from the start. But he’s not going to be a generational talent like Rooey (from memory, another player that you repeatedly posted we should trade). That’s why pointing out the size similarity was pointless. They’re not like for like and they don’t play similarly.
I'm not saying that Coops is tracking like Rooey. I'm just saying you can not comment on Sharman right now because he is not the finished product. He has only been in the system for 3 years. And as far as trading Rooey is concerned, I mooted that point when we were a bottom side and thought that it might be worthwhile exploring what we could get for him to boost our rebuild. Anyway this is totally irrelevant and you only brought that up in a desperate attempt to discredit my opinion which is pretty low considering that you are a Saintsational legend and the moderator.

NeXus Nick
saint6709
Club Player

Let’s add some blah blah blah - mostly a whinge fest this place

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

What on earth does GOAT mean?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 12:30am What on earth does GOAT mean?
Greatest of all time

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 12:34am
SydneySainter wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 12:30am What on earth does GOAT mean?
Greatest of all time
Thank you, it must be my Sydney ignorance.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Wed 03 Jan 2024 8:33pm Please discuss....
GOAT = Oh so you mean, Good to Ordinary Attacking Teamplayer?

I am a Sharman fan, but lets discuss him in the right context.

He had a very good development season last and went well in the different roles that Lyon had him play, and demonstrated that he can be a good team role player, and in the final he also reminded us that he has the talent to be a good player.

The way he finished 2023 he deserves to be a best 22 player at the start of 2024.

To stay in the team though in 2024 he has a lot of competition to stay in the team in the positions that he can play, and especially if Membrey gets back into the team.

As a marking forward:

Membrey may be back.

Phillipou has a stronger body already. Will the coaches still mainly play him as a forward?

Owens was already a beast in 2023.

Hayes will also be trying to get into the team as a marking forward who can give Marshall chop-outs in the ruck.

King should be fit and playing regularly, and is a lock as a one marking forward. With King in though, Caminiti is probably less direct competition to Sharman and will probably be having mainly a development year at Sandi.

Asa defensive forward Sharman found a niche, but this role is not required every week.

In the wing role while Dmac is gone but Henry has now arrived. So effectively more competition for wing in 2024 as Dmac could not get on the park.

Down back where Sharman where Sharman also played, mainly based on current (lack of) injuries, our depth currently looks better than in 2023. Bonner is a solid addition and the coaches may want his accurate kicking in the team.

Sharman closed 2023 by regaining his mojo. His marking and goalscoring abilities returned. He does have that bit of extra class about at his play, and if he can show that class more often and just hang onto a few more marks when he leaps he could become a lock.

He is still only 23 and so can get better still. I am hoping that he has a really good pre-season and improves both his fitness, and strength. The coaches are clearly chasing a running gameplan and so a good tank is going to be more important than ever.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Yes. Cooper's performance in that final should give him an immense confidence boost.

It made all the negative gratuitous pot shots look lame as. Hopefully he will be respected by all now.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 9:48am Yes. Cooper's performance in that final should give him an immense confidence boost.

It made all the negative gratuitous pot shots look lame as. Hopefully he will be respected by all now.
If he can deliver a performance like that on a highly consistent basis, ideally weekly, instead of every 30 games then he should go a long way to gaining respect.

Thing is a performance like that will now will be the benchmark and there are no excuses available to him in 24 and beyond to deliver anything less.

If Members gets back in the team and back to his best then Sharman will have one hell of a fight on his hands to get into the team though. Members is everything Lyon wants in a forward so it's going to be a fascinating sub plot during the season.