Will Jack Higgins go up a level?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Will Jack Higgins go up a level?

Arguably the most Jekyll and Hyde player on the list.

Higgins plays as a small forward but not in the traditional crumbing sense. Whilst he can capitalise on a loose ball or work some magic in a pack, his highly erratic finishing makes each shot feel like a 50/50 btw a goal and going out of bounds on the full.

In all actuality, Higgins’ greater strength is in playing more like a small lead up forward… for a player that’s not lightning fast, he has a good knack for finding space with a reasonable number of his goals coming from set shots. 2023 saw a change in his style in that he tended to stay a lot closer to goal which resulted in
- Fewer shots from outside 45m where he can barely make the distance
- Utilisation of the snap shot as his preferred move for goal kicking.

The snapshot was a shockingly effective innovation as he went from wildly inaccurate to almost something of a sniper with his set shots.

Oddly enough however… I don’t know if it was Jack’s idea or coaching instruction but mid-season, he suddenly reverted back to the drop point for a while with very mediocre results.

I find Jack to be a very perplexing player. Wild with his skills and I think a bit heavy/stocky as opposed to lean and strong. It seems like he wants to push up the ground at times and play mid but unlike Butler who made the transition successfully for patches of time… he seems to lack the speed, composure in decision making and also delivery to be an effective play maker.

The flip side of that however is that for all the criticism including the infamous “Missy Higgins”, few can argue that he isn’t a bonafide match winner. Kicked something like 35 goals for the year which is a fantastic return from a small forward.

The question that I’d like to ask is, what does Jack have to do to go up a gear and can he do it?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will Jack Higgins go up a level?

2021 - 27 goals
2022 - 30 goals +10%
2023 - 36 goals + 20%
2024 - 48 goals + 30%

I'd be impressed if he can continue his current projection.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Great player and has got another gear, he'd be happy Gresh is now gone, I don't think they got on that well together.

To find that gear he just needs to be more consitent by continuing to develop his running and defensive game to keep Ross happy. Struggled in some games adjusting to have to defend so high up the ground and not stay close to goals searching for lead up opportunities.

BadRossco
Club Player

The answer is no, doesn’t have the pace for today’s game, will likely be replaced by Henry or Collard.

NickyDal
Club Player

BadRossco wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 9:50am The answer is no, doesn’t have the pace for today’s game, will likely be replaced by Henry or Collard.
No offence BR but you are taking the pi55 surely?

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

So many supporters underestimate his ability. I don't get it. He is a great mark for his size and is very clever. He just needs to fix up his kicking a little bit. He's a really dangerous player much like Butler.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 9:28am Great player and has got another gear, he'd be happy Gresh is now gone, I don't think they got on that well together.

To find that gear he just needs to be more consitent by continuing to develop his running and defensive game to keep Ross happy. Struggled in some games adjusting to have to defend so high up the ground and not stay close to goals searching for lead up opportunities.

Gresh is an interesting point.

Pou imo is likely to turn out to be the player we hoped Gresh would be.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 2:50am 2021 - 27 goals
2022 - 30 goals +10%
2023 - 36 goals + 20%
2024 - 48 goals + 30%

Like to see his conversion of opportunities %.
Seems a bit wasteful to me, just observing, and his opponents get plenty of clearances. But this could be my bias/disappointment perception.
Has a few outstanding games a year; conversely misses gettable chances when it really matters, often too slow to get to the free ball/ ball drop on the break? Is that unfair?
I'd suggest he is useful but not so necessary that if he doesn't improve his conversion/opportunity ratio he will not feature in the second half of 2024.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Although the stats say that Higgins had a better season in 2023, there were times when I felt he was underperforming with wastefulness in front of goals his major weakness.

There has also been criticism that he is below par in defensive pressure, with his partner in crime Dan Butler rating much higher in the tackle count.

Both these aspects of his game are well within his abilities to address in the off-season, so in answer to the OP, there is good reason to believe Jack Higgins will go up a level in 2024.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 9:28am Great player and has got another gear, he'd be happy Gresh is now gone, I don't think they got on that well together.

I have heard it mentioned by track watchers that Higgins is a player who starts the season fit and firing on the track, but by mid season he looks like he lacks fitness. Perhaps its the injury hits and niggles he struggles with, but if he could sort his goal kicking out and go to another level it would make us so much more potent forward.

The reason having Gresham out will help as both he and Higgins were below average at applying defensive pressure, you cant carry two in the same forward line. Hopefully who ever replaces Gresham can stick some tackles.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 31 Dec 2023 10:23am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintWiki
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 29 Dec 2023 8:46pm Arguably the most Jekyll and Hyde player on the list.

Higgins plays as a small forward but not in the traditional crumbing sense. Whilst he can capitalise on a loose ball or work some magic in a pack, his highly erratic finishing makes each shot feel like a 50/50 btw a goal and going out of bounds on the full.

In all actuality, Higgins’ greater strength is in playing more like a small lead up forward… for a player that’s not lightning fast, he has a good knack for finding space with a reasonable number of his goals coming from set shots. 2023 saw a change in his style in that he tended to stay a lot closer to goal which resulted in
- Fewer shots from outside 45m where he can barely make the distance
- Utilisation of the snap shot as his preferred move for goal kicking.

The snapshot was a shockingly effective innovation as he went from wildly inaccurate to almost something of a sniper with his set shots.

Oddly enough however… I don’t know if it was Jack’s idea or coaching instruction but mid-season, he suddenly reverted back to the drop point for a while with very mediocre results.

I find Jack to be a very perplexing player. Wild with his skills and I think a bit heavy/stocky as opposed to lean and strong. It seems like he wants to push up the ground at times and play mid but unlike Butler who made the transition successfully for patches of time… he seems to lack the speed, composure in decision making and also delivery to be an effective play maker.

The flip side of that however is that for all the criticism including the infamous “Missy Higgins”, few can argue that he isn’t a bonafide match winner. Kicked something like 35 goals for the year which is a fantastic return from a small forward.

The question that I’d like to ask is, what does Jack have to do to go up a gear and can he do it?
He certainly is a puzzler, but re-watching last years games over the last few weeks tells me he's great deal better than some fans give him credit for.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

36 goals during 2023 is more than both Bobby Hill, Lachie Shultz, Michael Walters, and our own Dan Butler, who all kicked 33 goals.

This compares favorably to Kysaiah Pickett (37), Tom Papley (37), and Izan Rankine (36).

Jack appears to be a bit of a one-trick pony. He needs to find another string to his bow or, at least, improve his efficiency and take advantage of as many chances as he gets.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 9:47pm 36 goals during 2023 is more than both Bobby Hill, Lachie Shultz, Michael Walters, and our own Dan Butler, who all kicked 33 goals.

This compares favorably to Kysaiah Pickett (37), Tom Papley (37), and Izan Rankine (36).

Jack appears to be a bit of a one-trick pony. He needs to find another string to his bow or, at least, improve his efficiency and take advantage of as many chances as he gets.
Jack Higgins is a terrier. His disposal isn't great - misses a lot of goals. Dan Butler, more accurate. (despite his terrible final)
Both are now injury-prone.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 10:45am
2022 - 30 goals +10%
2023 - 36 goals + 20%
2024 - 48 goals + 30%

Seems a bit wasteful to me, just observing, and his opponents get plenty of clearances. But this could be my bias/disappointment perception.
Has a few outstanding games a year; conversely misses gettable chances when it really matters, often too slow to get to the free ball/ ball drop on the break? Is that unfair?
I'd suggest he is useful but not so necessary that if he doesn't improve his conversion/opportunity ratio he will not feature in the second half of 2024.
I dont disagree but agree that Gresham isn't as good a forward and I would ne surprised is Higgins hits clearancescin the forward half now.

Good target from up field and was looking a likely clearance buster, early on, before the bleed.

I also think there was pressure between Gresh and Higgins.

But Higging can play 3 roles ok and Gresh played the same way in all three and wasnt a forward target, more an opportunist.

Fresh just didn't impact enough and was much more erratic under pressure.

Higgins is better all around.

Saintmike65
Club Player

I like Higgins as a player but his work rate when he hasn’t got the footy isn’t great..improvement in that space plus better conversion rate would be significant!

Vazelos
Club Player

I was heavily critical post final he was heavy and struggled with the deeper pockets on the MCG. I actually said post game to my saints mates “ we need a faster, lighter more agile indigenous type small forward” as the G is a different ground to Marvel. We subsequently picked Collard and my mail is he is in the mix for the senior team early on he is rated highly even at 18 years old.
I met Higgins last month and his father and one caveat is that his knee was not great he was getting jabbed regularly to play but in my opinion he needs to be a few kilos lighter than he was in September against GWS and he needs to stop snapping shots with his opposite foot 30 m put from goal that’s criminal stuff.
It’s going to be very interesting but Collared is the future in one pocket now Butler had had ankle issues over summer Higgins has his chance to secure his spot.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

No

He’s maxed out

He’s about a 30 goal per year player - which is not bad

spert
Saintsational Legend

When is is near the ball, or has control, he is very dangerous around goals, but jeez some of the tougher games we had this season, he was just hanging out too far from the contest, or didn't have good second efforts. That can be fixed.

NickyDal
Club Player

2022 - 30 goals +10%
2023 - 36 goals + 20%
2024 - 48 goals + 30%

I can't believe you posted that. He is in the top 5 goal sneaks in the comp and certainly in our best 10 players overall.

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s not in the best 10 players at stk

Nor should a forward pocket be

Sinclair
Marshall
Steele
King
Wilkie
Crouch
Owens
Wanganeen Milera
Hill

Would be my best 10

Outside of that
Wood
Membrey
Ross
Clark
Webster
Higgins
Butler
Battle
Henry
Howard

Fringe
Windhager
Dow
Stocker
Byrnes
Sharman

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Sun 31 Dec 2023 12:09pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 2:50am

I can't believe you posted that. He is in the top 5 goal sneaks in the comp and certainly in our best 10 players overall.
OK.
Charlie from BNE
Pickett, Dee's
Weightman, Dogs
Papley, Swans
The 2 Adelaide boys, one recently from the Suns
Freo have a gun
Cripps, Eagles
Carlton has at least one as good as Jack
Greene from GWS
These guys come straight to mind. How do you come up with Jack being in the top 5. And his nickname is one of those opposites I suppose.
I think you over rate Jack. He is a good player that misses too often.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Sun 31 Dec 2023 12:09pm
2022 - 30 goals +10%
2023 - 36 goals + 20%
2024 - 48 goals + 30%

Is he overweight?
I was thinking he reminds me of Craig O’Brien, who played with the Saints early-mid 90s. I think O’Brien, l
Ike Higgo had good mitts and was quite successful, although we did trade him. And o’Brien was even shorter and heavier than Higgo. A little tank.

Higgo does look flushed and battered a lot. He looks like he’s busting a nut out there. As I’ve said, I think both Butts and Higgo are injury prone, but let’s hope I’m wrong.

Just a thought,
I wonder if NWM will finish up on the forward line in a few years. "?.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sanctorum
Club Player

It's interesting to look deeper into the stats, following are the comparisons of goal kicking accuracy between Jack Higgins and Dan Butler in 2023:

Higgins averaged 2.3 shots at goal per game with accuracy at 43.4%
Butler averaged 3.8 shots at goal per game with accuracy of 61.1%

Butler clearly is way ahead of Higgins in the small/medium forward role, the stats suggest he finds the ball far more often than Higgins.

That said, they are certainly different types of players because Butler goes up the ground far more than Higgins, who tends to remain in the forward 50 and probably offers an additional marking target for the mids.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 31 Dec 2023 4:54pm It's interesting to look deeper into the stats, following are the comparisons of goal kicking accuracy between Jack Higgins and Dan Butler in 2023:

Higgins averaged 2.3 shots at goal per game with accuracy at 43.4%
Butler averaged 3.8 shots at goal per game with accuracy of 61.1%

Butler clearly is way ahead of Higgins in the small/medium forward role, the stats suggest he finds the ball far more often than Higgins.

That said, they are certainly different types of players because Butler goes up the ground far more than Higgins, who tends to remain in the forward 50 and probably offers an additional marking target for the mids.
That's a good assessment.

Butler impacts ahead of the ball in the forward line, thats his job, to break and open up space.

Higgins actually players a forward.

Higgins breaks sometimes when he should attack, but alal those years of dumping the ball in the 25 metre arc has taken its toll.

Caminit and King will fix that this year, I'm hoping. If Keeler gets up and going and can hit high half forward with regular touches, we are gonna be dangerous.

Sharman might actually play that role first and roll around the arch fro the 50 with Max.

Caminiti will go and try get the ball any where and reminds me of a young Stewart Loewe who learnt to kick properly.

We should improve dramatically up forward and the midfield this year.

Let's hope it more than at least 12 other sides.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If butler averaged those numbers

My calculations have him at 50 goals? He kicked 33.

3.8 x .61 x 22 = 50.9