Saints snare Simon Dalrymple

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints snare Simon Dalrymple

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Jan 2024 4:25pm You’re joking yeah?

Probably the most professional player I have ever seen

Captain

Will be a Hall of Fame legend

And we should have got rid of him - are you taking the piss?!

You are right on one count
Should never have got rid of two other champions of the club
What did we win BM?

I love Nick Riewoldt but I loved Barker more.

All he did was lose. Hang on. What did Nick win?

I'm waited for the lightning to strike me down.

But we have more chance of winning this year's flag.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

When we hit the bottom and took McCartin we could have had both him and Petracca.

Or Kelly and Billings.

Or.....

Should I go on.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The hero worshipping is getting pretty old really.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I don’t have many heroes

But Nick Reiwoldt is one

Alongside Ponting, Harvey, Hayes

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Many will look back on the Toce era with rose coloured glasses- the 2 x academy boys , the south Australian boys in Wilkie, Sharman , Nas and Pou, and possibly Keeler , plus throw in possibly Wilson & Collard from this years draft. Even more so if one of the other players I have not mentioned from the past 2 drafts kicks on.

It’s hard to know how much was luck vs skill, with the academy boys definitely being more luck than skill. Any way you slice it, his record is only going to grow in stature if the next 2 drafts don’t deliver a couple of genuine superstars.

I have no idea if long term we will be better off, but it’s no doubt going to be one of the most important decisions we will look back on and debate fiercely in 5 years from now.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Zed wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 4:04am Many will look back on the Toce era with rose coloured glasses- the 2 x academy boys , the south Australian boys in Wilkie, Sharman , Nas and Pou, and possibly Keeler , plus throw in possibly Wilson & Collard from this years draft. Even more so if one of the other players I have not mentioned from the past 2 drafts kicks on.

It’s hard to know how much was luck vs skill, with the academy boys definitely being more luck than skill. Any way you slice it, his record is only going to grow in stature if the next 2 drafts don’t deliver a couple of genuine superstars.

I have no idea if long term we will be better off, but it’s no doubt going to be one of the most important decisions we will look back on and debate fiercely in 5 years from now.
I tend to agree.

But I also look at the track record of Darlymple. He’s set up the doggies midfield and forward line it’s pretty stellar. He even has set up Swannies Midfield with Warner and Gulden being good picks. But I want to see how we go with this next draft before I say one is better than the other.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 04 Jan 2024 8:31pm
But I want to see how we go with this next draft before I say one is better than the other.
Sage advice for all supporters I'd suggest as we can't all be Willy Wonkas.

Although I'd suggest we'd need to see some success in the final 2 game of a finals series before we can make a final judgement on not only the success of recruits but the club as a whole as that is what it takes to be a successful club.

Like Lyon, Dalrymple is now at a club that can stuff up the unstuffupable, (that's an actual word).

We will need the fullness of time before final judgement can be made and if the history of statistics applies then it could be several seasons before Lyon and Dalrymple have built a team capable of contending as we are currently only in the early stages of the rebuild.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Pound for pound I suggest two of the best recruiting decisions in relatively recent times have been J. Steele and A. Wilkie's. Hayes may have also been a triumph, ahh the curse of injury. The Owens, Nasiah, Windhager year was tremendous and this years crop shows promise. What ever the conventional wisdom Simon has a fairly high standard to maintain. And what if anything does the new Dalrymple appointment mean for SOS. Hopefully it is a partnership made in heaven, even, say, Saintly.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 9:43am Pound for pound I suggest two of the best recruiting decisions in relatively recent times have been J. Steele and A. Wilkie's. Hayes may have also been a triumph, ahh the curse of injury. The Owens, Nasiah, Windhager year was tremendous and this years crop shows promise. What ever the conventional wisdom Simon has a fairly high standard to maintain. And what if anything does the new Dalrymple appointment mean for SOS. Hopefully it is a partnership made in heaven, even, say, Saintly.
Sinclair was a good choice outside the draft too. Billings can have that credit. Lol

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Jan 2024 8:14pm I don’t have many heroes

But Nick Reiwoldt is one

For me, Ditterich, Muir and Cuz.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 10:42am

But Nick Reiwoldt is one

When I was a teen my dads workshop was close to Jayco and the Linfox warehouses. I worked there every holidays.

The lunch shop was 5 properties away and Winmar and several other new tecruits got temporary jobs at those other 2 companies and always seemed to be getting lunch and smoko when I was sent to get ours.

Nicky was at Jayco temporarily and I got to see him regularly. He was a lovely bloke, always had a smile and took interest in me and was very genuine in his character.

When he went on the field he was ruthlessly composed with the ball. When he got fired up, he got better and achieved immortality at Victoria Park for all.the right reasons.

He was a personal hero along with Ali.

Great memories.

NickyDal
Club Player

But Nick Reiwoldt is one

Three of the biggest hot heads we have ever had... :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 1:10pm

But Nick Reiwoldt is one

Three of the biggest hot heads we have ever had... :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So???????

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We all have heroes

Simon Dalrymple will be one if he delivers a list that delivers a second premiership

My guess though

He’ll be one of those great appointments when he joins StK and be a villain when he is sacked. And it’ll be the same people saying it!!!

My initial thoughts
1/ what is his exact role?
2/ He has a pretty good track record
3/ We have hired many a reputable person and ruined their careers, hopefully he isn’t another!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 11:41am

But Nick Reiwoldt is one

When I was a teen my dads workshop was close to Jayco and the Linfox warehouses. I worked there every holidays.

The lunch shop was 5 properties away and Winmar and several other new tecruits got temporary jobs at those other 2 companies and always seemed to be getting lunch and smoko when I was sent to get ours.

Nicky was at Jayco temporarily and I got to see him regularly. He was a lovely bloke, always had a smile and took interest in me and was very genuine in his character.

When he went on the field he was ruthlessly composed with the ball. When he got fired up, he got better and achieved immortality at Victoria Park for all.the right reasons.

He was a personal hero along with Ali.

Great memories.
Remember this?

NickyDal
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 08 Jan 2024 9:56am
NickyDal wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 1:10pm

But Nick Reiwoldt is one

So???????
Plus you makes 4 hot heads. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NeXus Nick
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

But Nick Reiwoldt is one

Muir is a great choice. Well before my time but from everything I’ve seen and read… very under appreciated for his time with the addition of probably would have been an all time once in generation superstar if the club supported him as they should have. Seems like we really failed him in many respects.

Was really nice to read about how we reached out to him a few years back.

NickyDal
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 08 Jan 2024 11:52pm

But Nick Reiwoldt is one

Muir is a great choice. Well before my time but from everything I’ve seen and read… very under appreciated for his time with the addition of probably would have been an all time once in generation superstar if the club supported him as they should have. Seems like we really failed him in many respects.

He was a great player but had a very short fuse unfortunately. It was very unfair the racial abuse all of the aborigines copped back in the day. Thankfully we have come a long way since then.

NeXus Nick
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 08 Jan 2024 11:52pm

But Nick Reiwoldt is one

Remember those unenlightened times when any sledge no matter if it was racial, about family, about personal distress or sexuality was all considered fair cop. Typically, after the match, the sledger would wave it off as all's fair in the heat of the contest, as was taking a guy's head off, loosening teeth, knees in the side. Nothing personal. No harm meant. Umpires ignored it pretty much and if a sledgee reacted he was labelled a hot head, mentally fragile, a legitimate future target. We have progressed a little from those times, hopefully.

King Max
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 07 Jan 2024 9:43am Pound for pound I suggest two of the best recruiting decisions in relatively recent times have been J. Steele and A. Wilkie's.
Steele has been good but did we really need a meteorologist?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Lets hope the clubs media staff grab him and do a welcome to the club interview before too long. Apart from a short interview when he was at the Swans I dont know much about him. Be nice to get some incite on where he perceives our list is at etc.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 19 Jan 2024 12:07am Lets hope the clubs media staff grab him and do a welcome to the club interview before too long. Apart from a short interview when he was at the Swans I dont know much about him. Be nice to get some incite on where he perceives our list is at etc.
Incite or Insight?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 19 Jan 2024 11:32am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 19 Jan 2024 12:07am Lets hope the clubs media staff grab him and do a welcome to the club interview before too long. Apart from a short interview when he was at the Swans I dont know much about him. Be nice to get some incite on where he perceives our list is at etc.
Incite or Insight?
Yep sorry thanks for the correction - the old brain misfires occasionally. :roll:

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Finally announced by the club. Strange it's taken so long.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1486023/ ... ement-team

Dalrymple will assume the newly introduced role of Talent Identification and Player Movement Manager, working alongside List Manager Stephen Silvagni and Head of Talent and Acquisition Graeme Allan.

Roles still clear as mud.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Load of wank - the titles

List manager
Recruiters