Trading: Best Available vs ‘Team Needs’

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trading: Best Available vs ‘Team Needs’

Here’s a story of the Pittsburg Steelers in NFL

Basically, as stated here. Talent and athleticism first. Damn the rest.Nevermind what the team needs.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 27 Dec 2023 3:36pm The decision to draft McCartin shows how amateurish we were

In GTs time we were a joke in the recruiting dept

The non recruiting of Jack Reiwoldt- shows lack recruiting knowledge

List Management and Recruiting is 80% of success
Nothing amateurish about it, unless of course they were blessed with the benefit of hindsight in advance.
Concussion disrupted McCartin's career, not lack of ability. He would have been a formidable power forward without a doubt. Petracca is a gun and McCartin would have been. You take the gun big forward all the time.
When McCartin came back with the Swans he'd missed 3 or 4 years on the back of a handful of games with the Saints and Sandringham. Yet he almost immediately became one of the best CHBs going around. Extraordinary effort, he was a big talent.
It was just plain bad luck.
If we had taken Petracca, it is likely that we would have rued the fact we didn't take DeGoey. As good as Petracca is, DeGoey is a fair bit better.
I do agree with you on Jack Riewoldt.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 7:25pm
B.M wrote: Wed 27 Dec 2023 3:36pm The decision to draft McCartin shows how amateurish we were

Nothing amateurish about it, unless of course they were blessed with the benefit of hindsight in advance.
Concussion disrupted McCartin's career, not lack of ability. He would have been a formidable power forward without a doubt. Petracca is a gun and McCartin would have been. You take the gun big forward all the time.
When McCartin came back with the Swans he'd missed 3 or 4 years on the back of a handful of games with the Saints and Sandringham. Yet he almost immediately became one of the best CHBs going around. Extraordinary effort, he was a big talent.
If we had taken Petracca, it is likely that we would have rued the fact we didn't take DeGoey. As good as Petracca is, DeGoey is a fair bit better.
The part that comes across as amateur’ish were the reports (I don’t know how true), that Petracca failed the psychology test and that that majorly influenced our decision to go with Paddy instead.

I don’t know how much truth is in any of that but as someone that has worked in the field for a long time… I was flabbergasted by the notion of a test or a conversation that they could have had that would have had such major implications. There was a Saints recruiter that was sacked or moved on at the time just prior to the draft (can’t recall his name)… who was gobsmacked by the decision famously called the club after would you ask why… when this rationale was explained he reportedly said words to the effect “did the test show he was an axe murderer”.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

My personal favourite, which unfortunately probably did cost us a premiership indirectly, was when Andrew McLeod approached Fremantle and asked to play but Gerard Neesham came over all pompous dhead and decided he didn't like Andrew. Andrew took that vibe as a no and the rest is Crow's history. One man bands can be dangerous.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 8:17pm

The part that comes across as amateur’ish were the reports (I don’t know how true), that Petracca failed the psychology test and that that majorly influenced our decision to go with Paddy instead.

I don’t know how much truth is in any of that but as someone that has worked in the field for a long time… I was flabbergasted by the notion of a test or a conversation that they could have had that would have had such major implications. There was a Saints recruiter that was sacked or moved on at the time just prior to the draft (can’t recall his name)… who was gobsmacked by the decision famously called the club after would you ask why… when this rationale was explained he reportedly said words to the effect “did the test show he was an axe murderer”.
I heard Petracca failed a resilience test, if true, while not the be all and end all, it was a good reason to think harder on Petracca. Might be the reason it took him 6/7 years to really get going.
However, in the end I think it was simply the big forward ahead of the mid. After all Riewoldt was near the end and we had no other good big forwards.
As I alluded to earlier, hindsight is a wonderful thing. My recollection is that there was a reasonable split between McCartin and Petracca, in opinions regarding who would be No.1. More leaned towards Petracca as the draft got closer, but the No.1 wasn't a clear thing (unlike say Harley Reid). Brayshaw was viewed as just behind them at 3 and no one was talking about DeGoey.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Petracca was a clear number 1

G Train
Why would you take a key forward every time

Games are won in the midfield- we all say it

The biggest weapon in modern footy is a power midfielder
Cripps, Bontempelli, DeGoey Petracca Neale Steele
These are the best players in the game

Key forwards are nothing without supply

We had the second best forward of all time - did nothing

Give me the choice of of a game breaking mid - and a kick/mark forward
I’d take the mid

A Franklin, Curnow, Riewoldt, Carey, Ablett Snr, Cameron etc
They are a different kettle of fish

Are you suggesting McCartin with skin folds near 80 and could not run out of sight on a dark night compared to those?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 31 Dec 2023 3:12pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 30 Dec 2023 8:17pm

I heard Petracca failed a resilience test, if true, while not the be all and end all, it was a good reason to think harder on Petracca. Might be the reason it took him 6/7 years to really get going.
However, in the end I think it was simply the big forward ahead of the mid. After all Riewoldt was near the end and we had no other good big forwards.
As I alluded to earlier, hindsight is a wonderful thing. My recollection is that there was a reasonable split between McCartin and Petracca, in opinions regarding who would be No.1. More leaned towards Petracca as the draft got closer, but the No.1 wasn't a clear thing (unlike say Harley Reid). Brayshaw was viewed as just behind them at 3 and no one was talking about DeGoey.
A resilience test!!?? I’m going to look into that.
Really appreciate the context.

You’re correct in that Petracca and McCartin were 1&2 with most settling on the former.

It’s interesting. I didn’t follow that draft as closely as others as all the scuttlebutt had us going with Petracca so I only watched his stuff. After we took Paddy, I looked at some of his highlight reels. Can’t say I saw it.

I wonder what the hype was

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who couldn't see Petracca was cocky and then petulant because he wasn't picked first, missed that injury and inexperience slowed him down.

He would have left, or we would have traded him.

We stood by McCartin at the very least.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Surely his athletic profile was enough to suggest alarm bells

Basically he was fat, and couldn’t run or jump

He had supposedly a good set of hands and was a good field kick (poor set shot!)

We need to admit that it was a huge mistake - without needing hindsight

Learn from it

And never pick for needs again in the first round of a draft!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

So you think so you believe in in the very skinny NWM who has neat skills butnwill be miles off.

You've talked up Phillpou lately and you are happy with Wilson?

Cool.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What???

Wanganeen Milera - very good pick up

Last first selections in the draft

2017 pick 7
I would’ve selected Hunter Clark - loved him in his draft year
They picked Hunter Clark
2018 pick 4
I would’ve selected Max King - no brainer