Dan Butler Ankle Setback

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dan Butler Ankle Setback

Mav Weller got one

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Thomas certainly didn't pick Riewoldt, you were on the ball there.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 27 Dec 2023 7:14pm There is a whole lot wrong with everything you said!

Billings was rated top 3 in his draft year by nearly all experts, top 5 by all recruiters! That is known!
Bont wasn’t even in some top 10s
He was a bolter - everyone knows that!

I wasn’t talking about his draft position- I was talking about his very reasonable career to date.
Maybe stop thinking about how good he should of been and instead look at what he actually achieved

I bet you were cheering when he kicked 4 in the last quarter to win a game vs the dogs!

BTW
GT did not recruit 1 player in his time!
He has told me that to my face. He let JB take care of that. He believed that his job wasn’t to identify talent but rather develop talent he was given.

He did admit the recruiting dept was under resourced which ultimately cost premierships
I didn't say anything other than you aren't a very good judge.
You have no idea why Riewoldt wasn't picked.
And you can't blame Thommo for what the bloke with the addiction problem did.

If you are trying to disgrace Bevo, then go ahead. But you are being called out in two posts for the opposite arguments at one time.

Read what you write before you post it, or don't. I don't care.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Recruiting department has always been underfunded/ underresourced....cause we always in debt and constantly chasing our tail. Would be handy if Bassett stuck around long enough to solve the eternal problem of inadequate revenue.
Last edited by Vortex on Wed 27 Dec 2023 8:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we can sack the coach or flip.the board?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 27 Dec 2023 8:51pm Maybe we can sack the coach or flip.the board?
Stop being silly.

Hopefully we hang on to Lyon for a lot longer than 4 years, ideally at least 10. Hopefully he doesn't get impatient and continues to manage much of the coaching through his assistants, and if we could afford it get him more assistants and resources. Hopefully allows him to focus on helping develop and expand our recruiting department and I'd also like to see him expand the opposition analysis and game day planning department. Get him freed up to focus on the big picture stuff, and eventually a seat on the board.

Harves is the obvious next senior coach so with a succession plan Lyon and Harves just progress up the line together. Gotta get away from this antiquated model of throwing the baby out with the bathwater every time a coach is sacked.

Need more cash though.

Most sums of the whole appear to be showing some potential of steering us in the right direction but I've still got my doubts about tbe board's performance and their plans to generate more revenue to help us compete and keep building.

They aren't getting the debt down and they don't appear to have a viable plan beyond asking supporters to but their hands deeper into their pockets.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 27 Dec 2023 9:08pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 27 Dec 2023 8:51pm Maybe we can sack the coach or flip.the board?
Stop being silly.

Hopefully we hang on to Lyon for a lot longer than 4 years, ideally at least 10. Hopefully he doesn't get impatient and continues to manage much of the coaching through his assistants, and if we could afford it get him more assistants and resources. Hopefully allows him to focus on helping develop and expand our recruiting department and I'd also like to see him expand the opposition analysis and game day planning department. Get him freed up to focus on the big picture stuff, and eventually a seat on the board.

Harves is the obvious next senior coach so with a succession plan Lyon and Harves just progress up the line together. Gotta get away from this antiquated model of throwing the baby out with the bathwater every time a coach is sacked.

Need more cash though.

Most sums of the whole appear to be showing some potential of steering us in the right direction but I've still got my doubts about tbe board's performance and their plans to generate more revenue to help us compete and keep building.

They aren't getting the debt down and they don't appear to have a viable plan beyond asking supporters to but their hands deeper into their pockets.
The point is, there is a plan. But no more club rebuilds. Once we enter the 8, we have one year to retreat. This might be that year or we will power on onfield and enter.

Then we will pay the debt and take less in the equalisation.

I'd imagine that is the plan.

By then, we will have a space for rookies at Sandy, a close knit connection with every footballer in our region and a tap on their develop in the elite juniors.

We don't need to compete or recruit recruiters, they are everywhere.

We need we to be a destination club.

Champion who come from other clubs are expensive. We vve had trouble keeping talent not identifying it.

If your aim is to produce a great team, you need to set the parameters for pace and skill and develop pace and skill.

Let the Bulldogs pay for a flag with the AFL'S money.

The fact that they allowed that 6 for $6m, dot a flag and then blew up the contract is proof you don't need money.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

They AFL wants the money, we just wanna win.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

We need to find $4m for 4 more years of King.

We need to cut the list to 35 finals capable players and 17 in development at all times.

Pick the best draftee available, rotate the slow burners and fast pace the low draft picks.

Win and money will fall out of the sky.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 27 Dec 2023 10:16pm We need to find $4m for 4 more years of King.

We need to cut the list to 35 finals capable players and 17 in development at all times.

Pick the best draftee available, rotate the slow burners and fast pace the low draft picks.

Do you really think Max is worth $1 million per season?

Managing our TPP has also been quite amateurish historically.

You could argue our lowly ladder postion for the past decade was linked to overpaying a small core of players from around the mid to late 2000s. It took us a while to release the anchor on that area of mismanagement and admittedly there have been other contributing factors keeping us anchored to the bottom 8 but the Messiah syndrome is a thing at our club.

And I'd be cautious about overpaying Max at the expense of a balanced list management strategy especially if he hasn't earnt it (shoutout to J. Billings).

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 27 Dec 2023 11:12pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 27 Dec 2023 10:16pm We need to find $4m for 4 more years of King.

You could argue our lowly ladder postion for the past decade was linked to overpaying a small core of players from around the mid to late 2000s. It took us a while to release the anchor on that area of mismanagement and admittedly there have been other contributing factors keeping us anchored to the bottom 8 but the Messiah syndrome is a thing at our club.

And I'd be cautious about overpaying Max at the expense of a balanced list management strategy especially if he hasn't earnt it (shoutout to J. Billings).
Players like M King are exactly the sort of players you don't overpa, in fact, I'm not even sure you should pay market value....

If you were to trade him you would get sooo much back. Likely the equivalent of 3 first round picks.

Given that outcome it is smarter to follow the lead of what Geelong did with Hawkins- make sure he is happy, his family are being taken care of, he has good mentors and he knows he will be looked after for life however he meeds to accept a top 5% to 10% AFL wage instead of a top 1%.

If he isn't willing to do that then trade him and bring in 2 or 3 guns in his place.

This logic applies to all our young players- we're not building for next year or even 2025, we're building for sustained success.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 27 Dec 2023 11:34pm
Players like M King are exactly the sort of players you don't overpa, in fact, I'm not even sure you should pay market value....

If you were to trade him you would get sooo much back. Likely the equivalent of 3 first round picks.

Given that outcome it is smarter to follow the lead of what Geelong did with Hawkins- make sure he is happy, his family are being taken care of, he has good mentors and he knows he will be looked after for life however he meeds to accept a top 5% to 10% AFL wage instead of a top 1%.

If he isn't willing to do that then trade him and bring in 2 or 3 guns in his place.

This logic applies to all our young players- we're not building for next year or even 2025, we're building for sustained success.
If one of our goals is to achieve sustained success, aka relevancy then absolutely we should be studying the Geelong business model. They have had a policy over a very long time, decades even, of not overpaying players to achieve a balanced list depth. I remember Steve Hocking being asked in an interview after their 22 flag what their formula was for sustained success and he said it was to not manage their club the way the teams in the bottom 8 managed themselves.

So I suppose not overpaying players is one of the lessons we have to learn from the likes of Geelong.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

You reckon Jeremy Cameron isn’t paid a lot?

Or in recent year Paddy Dangerfield?!

What should be looked at is some of their 3rd party deals

They are as bad, if not worse than Carlton

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Do you want to win a premiership and then let him go. If you don't win the premiership, then let him go. He is out of contract in 2026. Dont sign till then.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

We are not Geelong, we don't have Frank Costa

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 28 Dec 2023 12:02am You reckon Jeremy Cameron isn’t paid a lot?

Geelong have been a sustained top 4 side and picked up 2 flags since 2010 so you'd have to admit they clearly managing their TPP successfully, including maintaining a core of elite players on their books. Even Ross has publicly praised Geelongs TPP management.

Having said that I'd love to know what deal was offered to Cameron, if includes 3rd party sweatners then kudos to Geelong, we should be looking to emulate their business model.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 28 Dec 2023 12:33am We are not Geelong, we don't have Frank Costa
Neither does Geelong....

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 28 Dec 2023 12:32am

Do you want to win a premiership and then let him go. If you don't win the premiership, then let him go. He is out of contract in 2026. Dont sign till then.

Rationale and logic, I know you got it in you.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 28 Dec 2023 12:02am You reckon Jeremy Cameron isn’t paid a lot?

These are the more recent examples and it looks like it will catch up with them soon.

Look at the hawkins/selwood era for a blue print we can follow.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Never follow

Always lead

If you want to win

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 28 Dec 2023 8:30am
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 28 Dec 2023 12:33am We are not Geelong, we don't have Frank Costa
Neither does Geelong....
His daughter married a player

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Hawkins come from money and married money.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 28 Dec 2023 1:12pm Never follow

Always lead

If you want to win
Learning from the success and failure of others is the fastest way to get smarter and wiser without a lot of pain.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 28 Dec 2023 1:12pm Never follow

Always lead

If you want to win
You'd well know the difference between invention and innovation then I'm guessing?

Invention is a new idea that never existed before.

Innovation is the modification of an existing idea.

On that basis what are you proposing?

Invention or innovation?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Both, but

Innovation is good

Invention is great